standalone sftp server? - Suse

This is a discussion on standalone sftp server? - Suse ; Are there any for *nix? I just dont like this approach of giving full ssh access, then trying to lock it down to just sftp. Would be nice to find a stand alone server with its own user accounts....

  1. standalone sftp server?

    Are there any for *nix?

    I just dont like this approach of giving full ssh access, then trying to
    lock it down to just sftp. Would be nice to find a stand alone server
    with its own user accounts.

  2. Re: standalone sftp server?

    shimp wrote:

    > Are there any for *nix?
    >
    > I just dont like this approach of giving full ssh access, then trying to
    > lock it down to just sftp. Would be nice to find a stand alone server
    > with its own user accounts.

    http://filezilla-project.org/

    Client & Server available for FREE. (Both ftp and sftp enabled)

    Also available from the SuSE repo. !

  3. Re: standalone sftp server?

    Michael Soibelman wrote:

    > shimp wrote:
    >
    >> Are there any for *nix?
    >>
    >> I just dont like this approach of giving full ssh access, then trying to
    >> lock it down to just sftp. Would be nice to find a stand alone server
    >> with its own user accounts.

    > http://filezilla-project.org/
    >
    > Client & Server available for FREE. (Both ftp and sftp enabled)
    >
    > Also available from the SuSE repo. !

    Oops. My mistake. When will I slow down enough to check what I post ? The
    server is only for Winblows.

  4. Re: standalone sftp server?

    Michael Soibelman wrote:
    > Michael Soibelman wrote:
    >
    >> shimp wrote:
    >>
    >>> Are there any for *nix?
    >>>
    >>> I just dont like this approach of giving full ssh access, then trying to
    >>> lock it down to just sftp. Would be nice to find a stand alone server
    >>> with its own user accounts.

    >> http://filezilla-project.org/
    >>
    >> Client & Server available for FREE. (Both ftp and sftp enabled)
    >>
    >> Also available from the SuSE repo. !

    > Oops. My mistake. When will I slow down enough to check what I post ? The
    > server is only for Winblows.

    Hey, I'll check it out anyway. I could put it on a windows box if I have
    to. I wonder if it will run under wine?

  5. Re: standalone sftp server?

    shimp wrote:

    > Michael Soibelman wrote:
    >> Michael Soibelman wrote:

    >>> http://filezilla-project.org/
    >>>
    >>> Client & Server available for FREE. (Both ftp and sftp enabled)
    >>>
    >>> Also available from the SuSE repo. !

    >> Oops. My mistake. When will I slow down enough to check what I post ?
    >> The server is only for Winblows.

    > Hey, I'll check it out anyway. I could put it on a windows box if I have
    > to. I wonder if it will run under wine?

    I was thinking the same thing regarding WINE. Try it and let us know.
    Also, you should be aware there are sftp servers for Linux but they are
    proprietary (a.k.a. $$$$). So if you don't mind paying do a Google search
    for 'sftp for Linux"...

  6. Re: standalone sftp server?

    Michael Soibelman wrote:
    > I was thinking the same thing regarding WINE. Try it and let us know.
    > Also, you should be aware there are sftp servers for Linux but they are
    > proprietary (a.k.a. $$$$). So if you don't mind paying do a Google search
    > for 'sftp for Linux"...

    Upon closer examination it looks like the filezilla client supports
    sftp, but not the server. The server supports only ftp and ftps. So I
    think I'll just go with vsftpd. It will be more painful to get ftps
    through the firewall, and my users will always get a message that im not
    a trusted certificate from root authority. But on the upside at least I
    can have virtual users. I hate to give people system accounts just to
    share files or svn.

  7. Re: standalone sftp server?

    shimp wrote:
    > Are there any for *nix?
    >
    > I just dont like this approach of giving full ssh access, then trying to
    > lock it down to just sftp.

    SFTP = SSH File Transfer Protocol

    SSH is part of it. You can't have it without.

+ Reply to Thread