Mounting a floppy - Suse

This is a discussion on Mounting a floppy - Suse ; I know this is probably BASIC, but I can't get it to work. I want to be able to mount a floppy disk as myself (user) not root. I thought adding "disk" and "floppy" to my list under security -> ...

  1. Mounting a floppy

    I know this is probably BASIC, but I can't get it to work.

    I want to be able to mount a floppy disk as myself (user) not root. I
    thought adding "disk" and "floppy" to my list under security -> user
    -> details would do the trick but I still get the response "Only root
    can do that"

    What am I missing This is 10.3 - basic installation no special stuff
    done to it.

    Paul
    --

  2. Re: Mounting a floppy

    "PaulRS" writes:

    >thought adding "disk" and "floppy" to my list under security -> user
    >-> details would do the trick

    Hmm...

    > but I still get the response "Only root
    >can do that"

    what was the exact command?

    What about " mount /media/floppy "
    OR " mont /dev/fd0 "

    Don't say " mount /dev/fd0 /some/place" # with two arguments

    Good luck, Holger

  3. Re: Mounting a floppy

    On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 21:18:15 UTC, Holger Petersen wrote:

    > "PaulRS" writes:
    >
    > >thought adding "disk" and "floppy" to my list under security -> user
    > >-> details would do the trick

    > Hmm...
    >
    > > but I still get the response "Only root
    > >can do that"

    > what was the exact command?
    >
    > What about " mount /media/floppy "
    > OR " mont /dev/fd0 "
    >
    > Don't say " mount /dev/fd0 /some/place" # with two arguments
    >
    > Good luck, Holger

    Hmmm!
    I was using the command

    mount /dev/fd0 /media/floppy

    I got the "Only root can do that" response - (It does work as "root")

    At your advice I tried

    mount /media/floppy

    This works! Guess I don't understand why the old way does not!
    Thanks though for the solution. - Paul

    --

  4. Re: Mounting a floppy

    The carbonbased lifeform PaulRS inspired alt.os.linux.suse with:
    > I know this is probably BASIC, but I can't get it to work.
    >
    > I want to be able to mount a floppy disk as myself (user) not root. I

    If the floppy has a FAT fs then you can also use mtools, no need to
    mount.

    Description :
    Mtools allows uncomplicated access to an MS-DOS file system on disk
    without mounting it. It includes commands for working with MS-DOS
    files: mdir, mcd, mcopy, and mformat

    Theo
    --
    theo at van-werkhoven.nl ICQ:277217131 SuSE Linux
    linuxcounter.org: 99872 Jabber:muadib at jabber.xs4all.nl AMD XP3000+ 1024MB

  5. Re: Mounting a floppy

    "PaulRS" writes:

    >This works! Guess I don't understand why the old way does not!

    It never did?

    The "mount source destination" with both arguments is reseved for #root'.
    If you say "mount /dev/fd0" OR "mount /media/floppy" the system checks
    for the keyword " users" in the file "/etc/fstab" and adds the second
    parameter IF #users' is found.

    Greetings, Holger

+ Reply to Thread