Weird problems with fetchnews or slrn - Suse

This is a discussion on Weird problems with fetchnews or slrn - Suse ; Since yesterday evening I do not see any posts in this group and many other groups. I have obviously tried a test group and there things work, so I think it has something to do with groups I already have. ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Weird problems with fetchnews or slrn

  1. Weird problems with fetchnews or slrn

    Since yesterday evening I do not see any posts in this group and many
    other groups. I have obviously tried a test group and there things work,
    so I think it has something to do with groups I already have.

    I can read it from somewhere else, so it is defeinatly a local issue.

    Has anybody else seen anything like it before and where could I start
    looking for a solution?

    houghi
    --
    But I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am
    free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I
    tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free
    because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

  2. Re: Weird problems with fetchnews or slrn

    houghi wrote:
    > Since yesterday evening I do not see any posts in this group and many
    > other groups. I have obviously tried a test group and there things work,
    > so I think it has something to do with groups I already have.
    >
    > I can read it from somewhere else, so it is defeinatly a local issue.
    >
    > Has anybody else seen anything like it before and where could I start
    > looking for a solution?


    Just to be more explicit. The above message came through.

    houghi
    --
    But I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am
    free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I
    tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free
    because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

  3. Re: Weird problems with fetchnews or slrn

    houghi wrote:
    > houghi wrote:
    >> Since yesterday evening I do not see any posts in this group and many
    >> other groups. I have obviously tried a test group and there things work,
    >> so I think it has something to do with groups I already have.
    >>
    >> I can read it from somewhere else, so it is defeinatly a local issue.
    >>
    >> Has anybody else seen anything like it before and where could I start
    >> looking for a solution?

    >
    > Just to be more explicit. The above message came through.


    Some more info. I just unsubscribe from a newsgroup be.providers. I then
    removed all the messages and ran texpire. I then tried to subdcribe
    again, but leafnode does not seem to pick it up.

    Extremely strage.

    houghi
    --
    But I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am
    free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I
    tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free
    because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

  4. Re: Weird problems with fetchnews or slrn

    On Tue, 26 Feb 2008, houghi wrote:-

    >Some more info. I just unsubscribe from a newsgroup be.providers. I then
    >removed all the messages and ran texpire. I then tried to subdcribe
    >again, but leafnode does not seem to pick it up.


    Do you mean leafnode isn't retrieving new articles in be.providers or
    that it didn't notice the unsubscribe? AFAIK, the default time before a
    newsgroup is dropped is something like 30 days after the last article is
    retrieved by an end-user.

    If you call fetchnews manually using something like:

    fetchnews -vvv -x 100

    what do you see?


    Regards,
    David Bolt

    --
    www.davjam.org/lifetype/ www.distributed.net: OGR@100Mnodes, RC5-72@15Mkeys
    SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit | openSUSE 10.3 32bit | openSUSE 11.0a1
    SUSE 10.1 64bit | openSUSE 10.2 64bit | openSUSE 10.3 64bit
    RISC OS 3.6 | TOS 4.02 | openSUSE 10.3 PPC |RISC OS 3.11

  5. Re: Weird problems with fetchnews or slrn

    On Tue, 2008-02-26 at 09:54 +0100, houghi wrote:
    > houghi wrote:
    > > houghi wrote:
    > >> Since yesterday evening I do not see any posts in this group and many
    > >> other groups. I have obviously tried a test group and there things work,
    > >> so I think it has something to do with groups I already have.
    > >>
    > >> I can read it from somewhere else, so it is defeinatly a local issue.
    > >>
    > >> Has anybody else seen anything like it before and where could I start
    > >> looking for a solution?

    > >
    > > Just to be more explicit. The above message came through.

    >
    > Some more info. I just unsubscribe from a newsgroup be.providers. I then
    > removed all the messages and ran texpire. I then tried to subdcribe
    > again, but leafnode does not seem to pick it up.


    Almost sounds like your usenet provider is messed up somehow.



  6. Re: Weird problems with fetchnews or slrn

    Chris Cox wrote:
    >> Some more info. I just unsubscribe from a newsgroup be.providers. I then
    >> removed all the messages and ran texpire. I then tried to subdcribe
    >> again, but leafnode does not seem to pick it up.

    >
    > Almost sounds like your usenet provider is messed up somehow.


    All 8 of them? Doubtfull.

    houghi
    --
    But I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am
    free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I
    tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free
    because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

  7. Re: Weird problems with fetchnews or slrn

    David Bolt wrote:
    > Do you mean leafnode isn't retrieving new articles in be.providers or
    > that it didn't notice the unsubscribe?


    It looked as if it didn't notice the subscribe anymore.

    > AFAIK, the default time before a newsgroup is dropped is something
    > like 30 days after the last article is retrieved by an end-user.


    Mine is set to 20.

    > If you call fetchnews manually using something like:
    >
    > fetchnews -vvv -x 100
    >
    > what do you see?


    What I have done is remover everything, from
    /var/spool/news/[alt|be|nl|xs4all] then ran texpire, fetchnews, opens
    slrn, go into each group to see the leafnode message, exit slrn and
    re-run fetchnews and mark all messages in slrn as read.

    So I probably have missed some messages, but it seems to be working
    again. Still very strange.

    houghi
    --
    But I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am
    free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I
    tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free
    because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

  8. Re: Weird problems with fetchnews or slrn

    On Tue, 2008-02-26 at 20:30 +0100, houghi wrote:
    > Chris Cox wrote:
    > >> Some more info. I just unsubscribe from a newsgroup be.providers. I then
    > >> removed all the messages and ran texpire. I then tried to subdcribe
    > >> again, but leafnode does not seem to pick it up.

    > >
    > > Almost sounds like your usenet provider is messed up somehow.

    >
    > All 8 of them? Doubtfull.


    You use 8 separate suppliers of Usenet groups? Can I ask
    which ones you are using? I mean, I'll admit I have some
    non-Usenet (or not often carried) groups that I use, but
    VERY few (e.g. I might use VMware's nntp or Novell's nntp
    servers directly, but the rest goes through an ISP's
    Usenet nntp that houses some 30K+ groups).

    >
    > houghi



  9. Re: Weird problems with fetchnews or slrn

    Chris Cox wrote:
    >> All 8 of them? Doubtfull.

    >
    > You use 8 separate suppliers of Usenet groups?


    Doesn't everybody? ;-)

    > Can I ask which ones you are using?


    Sure you can and what is better, I will even answer you.

    > I mean, I'll admit I have some non-Usenet (or not often carried)
    > groups that I use, but VERY few (e.g. I might use VMware's nntp or
    > Novell's nntp servers directly, but the rest goes through an ISP's
    > Usenet nntp that houses some 30K+ groups).


    Yes, mine as well, yet it is so easy to do that I just added the others.

    First the ones I use:
    root@penne : grep ^server /etc/leafnode/config|awk '{print $NF}'
    news.dommel.be # Provider
    news.motzarella.org # Free, you need to subscribe
    newszilla.xs4all.nl # For customers. I have an account.
    news.xs4all.nl # For customers
    news.gmane.org # Should unsubscribe as I do not read anything
    fb1.euro.net # Free for be and nl (groups and IP's)
    news.readfreenews.net # One time fee and then free
    nntp.aioe.org # Free after subscription

    Some I do not use anymore at this moment
    root@penne : grep ^#server /etc/leafnode/config|awk '{print $NF}'
    news.evonet.be # My old provider
    news.albasani.net # Free after subscribing. Outages
    news.sunsite.dk # Not free anymore
    news.easynews.nl # Testserver, now payable
    news.stben.net # Free after subscribing. Outages
    news.x-privat.org # Free after subscribing. Outages
    support-forums.novell.com # Unused

    There will be some more out there. All I need to do after subscribing is
    add the following to /etc/leafnode/config
    server = news.example.org
    username = login
    password = PÔs5w°rd

    After that I am set. If one of them gives me any problems, I just put
    some # in front of it and I am good. No need to do any changes to a
    newsreader who might fetch different messages from different groups.

    The last time I looked at a newsreader that would subscribe to different
    servers, I would look at the messages from one group at one server and
    then look at another server that might have differnt groups.

    Leafnode is a newsserver that peers with all of them and downloads from
    different servers and puts it all into one server.

    houghi
    --
    But I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am
    free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I
    tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free
    because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

  10. Re: Weird problems with fetchnews or slrn

    On Tue, 2008-02-26 at 23:58 +0100, houghi wrote:
    > Chris Cox wrote:
    > >> All 8 of them? Doubtfull.

    > >
    > > You use 8 separate suppliers of Usenet groups?

    >
    > Doesn't everybody? ;-)
    >
    > > Can I ask which ones you are using?

    >
    > Sure you can and what is better, I will even answer you.

    ....snippity... (lists of servers, explanation of leafnode config, etc)
    >
    > Leafnode is a newsserver that peers with all of them and downloads from
    > different servers and puts it all into one server.


    Hmmm... I have no idea what's causing the problem you are seeing.

    I know that when I get such issues it's usually the fault of the
    nntp source I'm using. In your case maybe it's a bug in the
    version of leafnode you're using (?). I don't use leafnode, I just
    pull from the server with a client (which could be slrn of course).





  11. Re: Weird problems with fetchnews or slrn

    Chris Cox wrote:
    >> Leafnode is a newsserver that peers with all of them and downloads from
    >> different servers and puts it all into one server.

    >
    > Hmmm... I have no idea what's causing the problem you are seeing.


    Me neither.

    > I know that when I get such issues it's usually the fault of the
    > nntp source I'm using. In your case maybe it's a bug in the
    > version of leafnode you're using (?).


    I doubt it is a bug. I have been using it for many years now and I have
    never seen anything like it or heard anything about it. My guess it is
    something on a lower level, like memory or HD. Now it works again. I
    have looked in the logfiles, but could not see anything.

    > I don't use leafnode, I just pull from the server with a client (which
    > could be slrn of course).


    Pulling I leave to the ladies. ;-)

    houghi
    --
    Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done,
    and why. Then do it.
    -- Heinlein : Time Enough For Love

+ Reply to Thread