example for use of iproute2 in /etc/sysconfig/network/ifroute - Suse

This is a discussion on example for use of iproute2 in /etc/sysconfig/network/ifroute - Suse ; HI! Does anybody have an example how to do special routing (source-based) with openSUSE Linux and package iproute2? I'd like to add some rules with command "ip add..." when a specific DSL interface dsl0 is up but I'd like to ...

  1. example for use of iproute2 in /etc/sysconfig/network/ifroute

    HI!

    Does anybody have an example how to do special routing
    (source-based) with openSUSE Linux and package iproute2?

    I'd like to add some rules with command "ip add..." when a
    specific DSL interface dsl0 is up but I'd like to avoid messing up
    openSUSE's scripting under /etc/sysconfig/network too much.

    Ciao, Michael.

  2. Re: example for use of iproute2 in /etc/sysconfig/network/ifroute

    The carbonbased lifeform Michael Ströder inspired alt.os.linux.suse with:
    > HI!
    >
    > Does anybody have an example how to do special routing
    > (source-based) with openSUSE Linux and package iproute2?
    >
    > I'd like to add some rules with command "ip add..." when a
    > specific DSL interface dsl0 is up but I'd like to avoid messing up
    > openSUSE's scripting under /etc/sysconfig/network too much.

    Search tldp.org

    Theo
    --
    theo at van-werkhoven.nl ICQ:277217131 SuSE Linux
    linuxcounter.org: 99872 Jabber:muadib at jabber.xs4all.nl AMD XP3000+ 1024MB

  3. Re: example for use of iproute2 in /etc/sysconfig/network/ifroute

    Theo v. Werkhoven wrote:
    > The carbonbased lifeform Michael Ströder inspired alt.os.linux.suse with:
    >>
    >> Does anybody have an example how to do special routing
    >> (source-based) with openSUSE Linux and package iproute2?
    >>
    >> I'd like to add some rules with command "ip add..." when a
    >> specific DSL interface dsl0 is up but I'd like to avoid messing up
    >> openSUSE's scripting under /etc/sysconfig/network too much.

    > Search tldp.org

    Maybe I used the wrong key words there...

    I already read about how policy routing is enabled on
    command-line. I'm rather looking for recommendations how to do it
    in openSUSE 10.3 without having to mess up the standard scripts
    shipped with openSUSE in /etc/sysconfig/network too much. Hence my
    posting to alt.os.linux.suse...

    Ciao, Michael.

  4. Re: example for use of iproute2 in /etc/sysconfig/network/ifroute

    The carbonbased lifeform Michael Ströder inspired alt.os.linux.suse with:
    > Theo v. Werkhoven wrote:
    >> The carbonbased lifeform Michael Ströder inspired alt.os.linux.suse with:
    >>>
    >>> Does anybody have an example how to do special routing
    >>> (source-based) with openSUSE Linux and package iproute2?
    >>>
    >>> I'd like to add some rules with command "ip add..." when a
    >>> specific DSL interface dsl0 is up but I'd like to avoid messing up
    >>> openSUSE's scripting under /etc/sysconfig/network too much.

    >> Search tldp.org

    > Maybe I used the wrong key words there...
    >
    > I already read about how policy routing is enabled on
    > command-line. I'm rather looking for recommendations how to do it
    > in openSUSE 10.3 without having to mess up the standard scripts
    > shipped with openSUSE in /etc/sysconfig/network too much. Hence my
    > posting to alt.os.linux.suse...

    routes(5)

    Theo
    --
    theo at van-werkhoven.nl ICQ:277217131 SuSE Linux
    linuxcounter.org: 99872 Jabber:muadib at jabber.xs4all.nl AMD XP3000+ 1024MB
    "ik _heb_ niets tegen Microsoft, ik heb iets tegen
    de uitwassen *van* Microsoft"

  5. Re: example for use of iproute2 in /etc/sysconfig/network/ifroute

    Theo v. Werkhoven wrote:
    > The carbonbased lifeform Michael Ströder inspired alt.os.linux.suse with:
    >> Theo v. Werkhoven wrote:
    >>> The carbonbased lifeform Michael Ströder inspired alt.os.linux.suse with:

    >>> Search tldp.org

    >> Maybe I used the wrong key words there...
    >>
    >> I already read about how policy routing is enabled on
    >> command-line. I'm rather looking for recommendations how to do it
    >> in openSUSE 10.3 without having to mess up the standard scripts
    >> shipped with openSUSE in /etc/sysconfig/network too much. Hence my
    >> posting to alt.os.linux.suse...

    > routes(5)

    Oh yeah, you're really cool. I already knew how to setup a trivial
    routing table with SuSE Linux since '96.

    Did you actually read my original posting? My aim is to set up
    *source-based* routing (still in citation above). I see nothing in
    the man-page you mentioned which allows the *source* for a routing
    table entry to be defined therein. Additionally you cannot specify
    additional routing tables (as defined in /etc/iproute2/rt_tables).

    Ciao, Michael.

  6. Re: example for use of iproute2 in /etc/sysconfig/network/ifroute

    The carbonbased lifeform Michael Ströder inspired alt.os.linux.suse with:
    > Oh yeah, you're really cool. I already knew how to setup a trivial
    > routing table with SuSE Linux since '96.

    So sorry for trying to be helpfull and not being perfect.
    I won't bother you again.

    Theo
    --
    theo at van-werkhoven.nl ICQ:277217131 SuSE Linux
    linuxcounter.org: 99872 Jabber:muadib at jabber.xs4all.nl AMD XP3000+ 1024MB
    "ik _heb_ niets tegen Microsoft, ik heb iets tegen
    de uitwassen *van* Microsoft"

  7. Re: example for use of iproute2 in /etc/sysconfig/network/ifroute

    Michael Ströder wrote:

    > HI!
    >
    > Does anybody have an example how to do special routing
    > (source-based) with openSUSE Linux and package iproute2?
    >
    > I'd like to add some rules with command "ip add..." when a
    > specific DSL interface dsl0 is up but I'd like to avoid messing up
    > openSUSE's scripting under /etc/sysconfig/network too much.
    >
    > Ciao, Michael.

    http://www.wlug.org.nz/SourceBasedRouting

  8. Re: example for use of iproute2 in /etc/sysconfig/network/ifroute

    Michael Soibelman wrote:

    > Michael Ströder wrote:
    >
    >> HI!
    >>
    >> Does anybody have an example how to do special routing
    >> (source-based) with openSUSE Linux and package iproute2?
    >>
    >> I'd like to add some rules with command "ip add..." when a
    >> specific DSL interface dsl0 is up but I'd like to avoid messing up
    >> openSUSE's scripting under /etc/sysconfig/network too much.
    >>
    >> Ciao, Michael.

    > http://www.wlug.org.nz/SourceBasedRouting

    More:

    http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7291