OpenSuse and 128 GB RAM Limit - Suse

This is a discussion on OpenSuse and 128 GB RAM Limit - Suse ; I have the opportunity to run OpenSuse 10.3 and some test applications on an Opteron system with 256 GB RAM this coming week. It is my understanding that 10.3 (and most x86-64 Linux ports) only claim support for 128 GB ...

  1. OpenSuse and 128 GB RAM Limit

    I have the opportunity to run OpenSuse 10.3 and some test applications on an
    Opteron system with 256 GB RAM this coming week. It is my understanding
    that 10.3 (and most x86-64 Linux ports) only claim support for 128 GB of
    system RAM. Does anyone know the details of this, or perhaps could provide
    a link on why this is the case? Or theoretically, will larger RAM
    configurations work, they just have not been tested? I have seen some vague
    postings that this is not a hard set limit, but I have not found anything
    definitive as of yet.

    Thanks,

    -Jay

  2. Re: OpenSuse and 128 GB RAM Limit

    jaylucasaustin.rr.com wrote:

    > I have the opportunity to run OpenSuse 10.3 and some test applications on
    > an
    > Opteron system with 256 GB RAM this coming week. It is my understanding
    > that 10.3 (and most x86-64 Linux ports) only claim support for 128 GB of
    > system RAM. Does anyone know the details of this, or perhaps could
    > provide
    > a link on why this is the case? Or theoretically, will larger RAM
    > configurations work, they just have not been tested? I have seen some
    > vague postings that this is not a hard set limit, but I have not found
    > anything definitive as of yet.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > -Jay

    Try posting at this site after creating an account. I'm sure someone there
    can give you a good answer:

    http://kerneltrap.org/

  3. Re: OpenSuse and 128 GB RAM Limit

    Michael Soibelman wrote:
    > jaylucasaustin.rr.com wrote:
    >
    >> I have the opportunity to run OpenSuse 10.3 and some test applications on
    >> an
    >> Opteron system with 256 GB RAM this coming week. It is my understanding
    >> that 10.3 (and most x86-64 Linux ports) only claim support for 128 GB of
    >> system RAM. Does anyone know the details of this, or perhaps could
    >> provide
    >> a link on why this is the case? Or theoretically, will larger RAM
    >> configurations work, they just have not been tested? I have seen some
    >> vague postings that this is not a hard set limit, but I have not found
    >> anything definitive as of yet.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> -Jay

    > Try posting at this site after creating an account. I'm sure someone there
    > can give you a good answer:
    >
    > http://kerneltrap.org/

    Bad timing though... they're fighting some spammers... new logins
    temporarily disabled.

  4. Re: OpenSuse and 128 GB RAM Limit

    jaylucasaustin.rr.com wrote:

    > I have the opportunity to run OpenSuse 10.3 and some test applications on
    > an
    > Opteron system with 256 GB RAM this coming week. It is my understanding
    > that 10.3 (and most x86-64 Linux ports) only claim support for 128 GB of
    > system RAM. Does anyone know the details of this, or perhaps could
    > provide
    > a link on why this is the case? Or theoretically, will larger RAM
    > configurations work, they just have not been tested? I have seen some
    > vague postings that this is not a hard set limit, but I have not found
    > anything definitive as of yet.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > -Jay

    Just curious but how much does 256GB of RAM cost? That is huge compared to
    the paltry maximum of 8GB most suppliers offer on their motherboards.

    --
    Later,
    Darrell Stec darstec@neo.rr.com

    Webpage Sorcery
    http://webpagesorcery.com
    We Put the Magic in Your Webpages

  5. Re: OpenSuse and 128 GB RAM Limit

    Darrell Stec wrote:
    > jaylucasaustin.rr.com wrote:
    >
    >> I have the opportunity to run OpenSuse 10.3 and some test applications on
    >> an
    >> Opteron system with 256 GB RAM this coming week. It is my understanding
    >> that 10.3 (and most x86-64 Linux ports) only claim support for 128 GB of
    >> system RAM. Does anyone know the details of this, or perhaps could
    >> provide
    >> a link on why this is the case? Or theoretically, will larger RAM
    >> configurations work, they just have not been tested? I have seen some
    >> vague postings that this is not a hard set limit, but I have not found
    >> anything definitive as of yet.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> -Jay

    > Just curious but how much does 256GB of RAM cost? That is huge compared to
    > the paltry maximum of 8GB most suppliers offer on their motherboards.

    A tad under 15K UKP from crucial for our Sun X4600 M2 servers.
    Obviously that's not Sun's pricing.

    Matthew

  6. Re: OpenSuse and 128 GB RAM Limit

    Matthew Wild wrote:

    > Darrell Stec wrote:
    >> jaylucasaustin.rr.com wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have the opportunity to run OpenSuse 10.3 and some test applications
    >>> on an
    >>> Opteron system with 256 GB RAM this coming week. It is my understanding
    >>> that 10.3 (and most x86-64 Linux ports) only claim support for 128 GB of
    >>> system RAM. Does anyone know the details of this, or perhaps could
    >>> provide
    >>> a link on why this is the case? Or theoretically, will larger RAM
    >>> configurations work, they just have not been tested? I have seen some
    >>> vague postings that this is not a hard set limit, but I have not found
    >>> anything definitive as of yet.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>>
    >>> -Jay

    >> Just curious but how much does 256GB of RAM cost? That is huge compared
    >> to the paltry maximum of 8GB most suppliers offer on their motherboards.
    >>

    > A tad under 15K UKP from crucial for our Sun X4600 M2 servers.
    > Obviously that's not Sun's pricing.
    >
    > Matthew

    Damn, that would buy a lifetime supply of Diet Vanilla & Raseberry Cream Dr.
    Pepper.

    I take it that there are special memory add-on cards to hold the memory?
    Does it take conventional memory that are found in most home computers or
    something custom tailored?

    --
    Later,
    Darrell Stec darstec@neo.rr.com

    Webpage Sorcery
    http://webpagesorcery.com
    We Put the Magic in Your Webpages

  7. Re: OpenSuse and 128 GB RAM Limit

    Matthew Wild wrote:
    > Darrell Stec wrote:
    >> Just curious but how much does 256GB of RAM cost? That is huge compared to
    >> the paltry maximum of 8GB most suppliers offer on their motherboards.
    >>

    > A tad under 15K UKP from crucial for our Sun X4600 M2 servers.
    > Obviously that's not Sun's pricing.

    640 K ought to be enough for anybody.

    Sorry, couldn't resist xD

  8. Re: OpenSuse and 128 GB RAM Limit

    Darrell Stec wrote:
    > Matthew Wild wrote:
    >
    >> Darrell Stec wrote:

    >>> Just curious but how much does 256GB of RAM cost? That is huge compared
    >>> to the paltry maximum of 8GB most suppliers offer on their motherboards.
    >>>

    >> A tad under 15K UKP from crucial for our Sun X4600 M2 servers.
    >> Obviously that's not Sun's pricing.
    >>
    >> Matthew

    > Damn, that would buy a lifetime supply of Diet Vanilla & Raseberry Cream Dr.
    > Pepper.
    >
    > I take it that there are special memory add-on cards to hold the memory?
    > Does it take conventional memory that are found in most home computers or
    > something custom tailored?

    Each CPU card has 8 DIMM slots using standard DDS2-667 Registered ECC
    sticks in pairs. Each server has room for 8 CPU cards.

    Matthew

+ Reply to Thread