dilemmas galore - Suse

This is a discussion on dilemmas galore - Suse ; hi all. i'm a beginner at UNIX/LINUX.presently i have opensuse 10.3 installed on my computer.i am basically a c/cpp/java programmer and soon would be joining the IT industry.i am very enthusiastic about the shell and would like to study unix\linux ...

  1. dilemmas galore

    hi all.
    i'm a beginner at UNIX/LINUX.presently i have opensuse 10.3 installed
    on my computer.i am basically a c/cpp/java programmer and soon would
    be joining the IT industry.i am very enthusiastic about the shell and
    would like to study unix\linux through the command line.along with
    that i would also like to study operating systems in depth with hands-
    on and practical approach on linux\unix OSs.for this reason i have
    picked up an operating systems book by gary nutt which teaches through
    examples of unix\windows and for reference i have 'the unix
    programming environment' by Brian Kernighan but i'm not finding the my
    OS book to be providing me with solid concrete concepts ( although it
    has good examples and very good lab exercises).
    Henceforth i'm an a little dilemma and as always i've turned to
    usenet.it would be very appreciative of people(and nerds) out there to
    help me out with the following questions :

    1)how much is unix different from linux? i know linux is a simulation
    of unix and i can see its source code but is it advisable to learn
    from a unix book and practise on linux ? i want to learn both .
    2)kindly suggest 2-3 simple,good(not at all boring),usefull and
    standard books or/and sites for unix and linux.
    3)kindly suggest 2-3 simple,good and conceptual books or/and sites for
    operating systems that teach the subject through unix\linux approach.
    thanking in anticipation. vaib.

  2. Re: dilemmas galore

    On 24 Lut, 14:43, vaib wrote:
    > hi all.

    hi
    > i'm a beginner at UNIX/LINUX.presently i have opensuse 10.3 installed
    > on my computer.i am basically a c/cpp/java programmer and soon would
    > be joining the IT industry.i am very enthusiastic about the shell and
    > would like to study unix\linux through the command line.along with
    > that i would also like to study operating systems in depth with hands-
    > on and practical approach on linux\unix OSs.for this reason i have
    > picked up an operating systems book by gary nutt which teaches through
    > examples of unix\windows and for reference i have 'the unix
    > programming environment' by Brian Kernighan but i'm not finding the my
    > OS book to be providing me with solid concrete concepts ( although it
    > has good examples and very good lab exercises).

    look on this book (you can download it legally and for free)
    http://www.advancedlinuxprogramming.com
    dont forget about it
    http://www.linux-foundation.org/en/Specifications

    > 1)how much is unix different from linux? i know linux is a simulation
    > of unix and i can see its source code but is it advisable to learn
    > from a unix book and practise on linux ? i want to learn both .

    prabably the best solution would be to unix on virtual machine.
    personally i suggest minix (1-3)

    http://www.minix3.org/

    or you can always install freebsd on second partition of hdd ;p

    > 2)kindly suggest 2-3 simple,good(not at all boring),usefull and
    > standard books or/and sites for unix and linux.

    hm... in addition to ebooks i gave you, read also about FHS
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filesys...archy_Standard
    its usefull to know that :P (at least its usefull for me ;p)

    > 3)kindly suggest 2-3 simple,good and conceptual books or/and sites for
    > operating systems that teach the subject through unix\linux approach.
    > thanking in anticipation. vaib.

    :/

    szymon

  3. Re: dilemmas galore

    vaib wrote:
    > hi all.
    > i'm a beginner at UNIX/LINUX.presently i have opensuse 10.3 installed
    > on my computer.i am basically a c/cpp/java programmer and soon would
    > be joining the IT industry.i am very enthusiastic about the shell and
    > would like to study unix\linux through the command line.along with
    > that i would also like to study operating systems in depth with hands-
    > on and practical approach on linux\unix OSs.for this reason i have
    > picked up an operating systems book by gary nutt which teaches through
    > examples of unix\windows and for reference i have 'the unix
    > programming environment' by Brian Kernighan but i'm not finding the my
    > OS book to be providing me with solid concrete concepts ( although it
    > has good examples and very good lab exercises).
    > Henceforth i'm an a little dilemma and as always i've turned to
    > usenet.it would be very appreciative of people(and nerds) out there to
    > help me out with the following questions :
    >
    > 1)how much is unix different from linux? i know linux is a simulation
    > of unix and i can see its source code but is it advisable to learn
    > from a unix book and practise on linux ? i want to learn both .

    Linux is actually its own thing... it is Unix-like but more of
    a superset of Unix. Anything Unix can do that Linux cannot do
    is probably limited to just one "flavor" of Unix (Unix isn't
    the same across vendors).

    > 2)kindly suggest 2-3 simple,good(not at all boring),usefull and
    > standard books or/and sites for unix and linux.

    I like Mark Sobell's books.. and they have gotten better with
    age. He has been writing books on Unix since... well practically
    forever, and he now does both Linux and Unix books.

    > 3)kindly suggest 2-3 simple,good and conceptual books or/and sites for
    > operating systems that teach the subject through unix\linux approach.
    > thanking in anticipation. vaib.

    I used to teach at the college level a course called Introduction
    to Unix Using Linux.... sigh...

  4. Re: dilemmas galore

    On Feb 24, 10:46 pm, Szymon von Ulezalka
    wrote:
    > On 24 Lut, 14:43, vaib wrote:
    >
    > > hi all.

    > hi
    > > i'm a beginner at UNIX/LINUX.presently i have opensuse 10.3 installed
    > > on my computer.i am basically a c/cpp/java programmer and soon would
    > > be joining the IT industry.i am very enthusiastic about the shell and
    > > would like to study unix\linux through the command line.along with
    > > that i would also like to study operating systems in depth with hands-
    > > on and practical approach on linux\unix OSs.for this reason i have
    > > picked up an operating systems book by gary nutt which teaches through
    > > examples of unix\windows and for reference i have 'the unix
    > > programming environment' by Brian Kernighan but i'm not finding the my
    > > OS book to be providing me with solid concrete concepts ( although it
    > > has good examples and very good lab exercises).

    > look on this book (you can download it legally and for free)http://www.advancedlinuxprogramming.com
    > dont forget about ithttp://www.linux-foundation.org/en/Specifications
    >
    > > 1)how much is unix different from linux? i know linux is a simulation
    > > of unix and i can see its source code but is it advisable to learn
    > > from a unix book and practise on linux ? i want to learn both .

    > prabably the best solution would be to unix on virtual machine.
    > personally i suggest minix (1-3)
    >
    > http://www.minix3.org/
    >
    > or you can always install freebsd on second partition of hdd ;p
    >
    > > 2)kindly suggest 2-3 simple,good(not at all boring),usefull and
    > > standard books or/and sites for unix and linux.

    > hm... in addition to ebooks i gave you, read also about FHShttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filesystem_Hierarchy_Standard
    > its usefull to know that :P (at least its usefull for me ;p)
    >
    > > 3)kindly suggest 2-3 simple,good and conceptual books or/and sites for
    > > operating systems that teach the subject through unix\linux approach.
    > > thanking in anticipation. vaib.

    > :/
    >
    > szymon

    thanx.great resources.