Citrix or similar server service for openSuse 10.3? - Suse

This is a discussion on Citrix or similar server service for openSuse 10.3? - Suse ; Is there a Citrix server or similar service for openSuse 10.3 that works with Citrix ICA clients? Or in lieu of that, how about a server side component for remote desktop? I've got the rdesktop client side loaded and working ...

  1. Citrix or similar server service for openSuse 10.3?

    Is there a Citrix server or similar service for openSuse 10.3 that works
    with Citrix ICA clients? Or in lieu of that, how about a server side
    component for remote desktop? I've got the rdesktop client side loaded and
    working just fine for connecting to other Windows boxes from the Linux host,
    but I'd like to connect from Windows Remote Desktop clients to the Linux
    server. Citrix or Remote Desktop are my two options built into the firmware.

    --
    Jim Carter
    Rogers, Arkansas

  2. Re: Citrix or similar server service for openSuse 10.3?

    Jim Carter wrote:
    > Is there a Citrix server or similar service for openSuse 10.3 that works
    > with Citrix ICA clients? Or in lieu of that, how about a server side
    > component for remote desktop? I've got the rdesktop client side loaded and
    > working just fine for connecting to other Windows boxes from the Linux host,
    > but I'd like to connect from Windows Remote Desktop clients to the Linux
    > server. Citrix or Remote Desktop are my two options built into the firmware.

    I'd look at FreeNX/NX. It may not have as many features as Citrix, but
    it does make for a very fast remote desktop experience (lots faster than VNC
    and even Microsoft's rdp protocol... esp in low bandwidth conditions).

    NX protocol works across SSH... so you have the ability to encrypt the
    session... which makes it nice for accessing a remote desktop over
    public lines.

  3. Re: Citrix or similar server service for openSuse 10.3?

    On 2008-02-24, Chris Cox wrote:
    > Jim Carter wrote:
    >> Is there a Citrix server or similar service for openSuse 10.3 that works
    >> with Citrix ICA clients? Or in lieu of that, how about a server side
    >> component for remote desktop? I've got the rdesktop client side loaded and
    >> working just fine for connecting to other Windows boxes from the Linux host,
    >> but I'd like to connect from Windows Remote Desktop clients to the Linux
    >> server. Citrix or Remote Desktop are my two options built into the firmware.
    >>

    > I'd look at FreeNX/NX. It may not have as many features as Citrix, but
    > it does make for a very fast remote desktop experience (lots faster than VNC
    > and even Microsoft's rdp protocol... esp in low bandwidth conditions).
    >
    > NX protocol works across SSH... so you have the ability to encrypt the
    > session... which makes it nice for accessing a remote desktop over
    > public lines.

    I'm also a big fan of FreeNX

    Here's my notes of installing it in openSUSE:
    http://waxborg.servepics.com/english...freenx.en.html

    Vahis
    Remodeling my site to train new things:
    http://waxborg.servepics.com
    --
    "The only thing more expensive than training is the lack of it"
    Henry Ford

  4. Re: Citrix or similar server service for openSuse 10.3?

    Jim Carter wrote:
    > Is there a Citrix server or similar service for openSuse 10.3 that works
    > with Citrix ICA clients? Or in lieu of that, how about a server side
    > component for remote desktop?

    I've been using NX Free Edition v3.1 from nomachine.com on openSUSE 10.3
    x86_64 for several months and am quite pleased with it.

  5. Re: Citrix or similar server service for openSuse 10.3?

    "Vahis" wrote in message
    > On 2008-02-24, Chris Cox wrote:
    >> Jim Carter wrote:
    >>> Is there a Citrix server or similar service for openSuse 10.3 that works
    >>> with Citrix ICA clients? Or in lieu of that, how about a server side
    >>> component for remote desktop? I've got the rdesktop client side loaded
    >>> and
    >>> working just fine for connecting to other Windows boxes from the Linux
    >>> host,
    >>> but I'd like to connect from Windows Remote Desktop clients to the Linux
    >>> server. Citrix or Remote Desktop are my two options built into the
    >>> firmware.
    >>>

    >> I'd look at FreeNX/NX. It may not have as many features as Citrix, but
    >> it does make for a very fast remote desktop experience (lots faster than
    >> VNC
    >> and even Microsoft's rdp protocol... esp in low bandwidth conditions).
    >>
    >> NX protocol works across SSH... so you have the ability to encrypt the
    >> session... which makes it nice for accessing a remote desktop over
    >> public lines.

    > I'm also a big fan of FreeNX
    >
    > Here's my notes of installing it in openSUSE:
    > http://waxborg.servepics.com/english...freenx.en.html
    >
    > Vahis
    > Remodeling my site to train new things:
    > http://waxborg.servepics.com
    > --
    > "The only thing more expensive than training is the lack of it"
    > Henry Ford

    I've looked at FreeNX since it seems to come with openSuse. As far as I can
    tell however in only uses SSH and not RDP or ICA. My remote clients are
    limited to RDP or ICA only since their operating system is in ROM.

    If I'm overlooking a feature of FreeNX, please point me to the docs so I can
    get the proper protocol implemented.

    --
    Jim Carter
    Rogers, Arkansas

  6. Re: Citrix or similar server service for openSuse 10.3?

    "Gary Gapinski" wrote in message
    > Jim Carter wrote:
    >> Is there a Citrix server or similar service for openSuse 10.3 that works
    >> with Citrix ICA clients? Or in lieu of that, how about a server side
    >> component for remote desktop?

    > I've been using NX Free Edition v3.1 from nomachine.com on openSUSE 10.3
    > x86_64 for several months and am quite pleased with it.

    I just reviewed the docs on the nomachine.com NX server free edition and
    discovered the following:

    Furthermore, the SSH server daemon (SSHD) needs to be up and running on
    each of the NX Node machines since NX relies on the mechanism provided by
    the SSH subsystem for handling user authentication.

    This won't work for me - I need true RDP or ICA protocol on the server side
    because that is all the clients are capable of. The clientas are on a
    private (air gapped) network so security isn't my biggest concern.

    --
    Jim Carter
    Rogers, Arkansas

  7. Re: Citrix or similar server service for openSuse 10.3?

    Jim Carter wrote:
    > "Gary Gapinski" wrote in message
    >> Jim Carter wrote:
    >>> Is there a Citrix server or similar service for openSuse 10.3 that works
    >>> with Citrix ICA clients? Or in lieu of that, how about a server side
    >>> component for remote desktop?

    >> I've been using NX Free Edition v3.1 from nomachine.com on openSUSE 10.3
    >> x86_64 for several months and am quite pleased with it.

    > I just reviewed the docs on the nomachine.com NX server free edition and
    > discovered the following:
    >
    > Furthermore, the SSH server daemon (SSHD) needs to be up and running on
    > each of the NX Node machines since NX relies on the mechanism provided by
    > the SSH subsystem for handling user authentication.
    >
    > This won't work for me - I need true RDP or ICA protocol on the server side
    > because that is all the clients are capable of. The clientas are on a
    > private (air gapped) network so security isn't my biggest concern.

    Sorry - hadn't read closely past "remote desktop".

    I do not know of anything that allows RDP or ICA access to Linux directly.

    For remote access by MS Windows clients using RDP, one could run one or
    more MS Windows OS instances in virtual machines and connect via RDP,
    but I am unsure what service you wish your clients to avail themselves of.

  8. Re: Citrix or similar server service for openSuse 10.3?

    On Feb 23, 6:42 pm, "Jim Carter" wrote:
    > Is there a Citrix server or similar service for openSuse 10.3 that works
    > with Citrix ICA clients? Or in lieu of that, how about a server side
    > component for remote desktop? I've got the rdesktop client side loaded and
    > working just fine for connecting to other Windows boxes from the Linux host,
    > but I'd like to connect from Windows Remote Desktop clients to the Linux
    > server. Citrix or Remote Desktop are my two options built into the firmware.
    >
    > --
    > Jim Carter
    > Rogers, Arkansas

    If you're trying to rdesktop to a windows host from Suse, try
    NXdesktop. Works great!

  9. Re: Citrix or similar server service for openSuse 10.3?

    Jim Carter wrote:
    > but I'd like to connect from Windows Remote Desktop clients to the Linux
    > server. Citrix or Remote Desktop are my two options built into the firmware.

    So you want to connect from Windows to Linux and take over the Linux
    machine? ssh. I am doing that right now. Fast, efficient and fast.

    houghi
    --
    The whole principle [of censorship] is wrong. It's like demanding that
    grown men live on skim milk because the baby can't have steak.

  10. Re: Citrix or similar server service for openSuse 10.3?

    "sammy" wrote in message
    > On Feb 23, 6:42 pm, "Jim Carter" wrote:
    >> Is there a Citrix server or similar service for openSuse 10.3 that works
    >> with Citrix ICA clients? Or in lieu of that, how about a server side
    >> component for remote desktop? I've got the rdesktop client side loaded
    >> and
    >> working just fine for connecting to other Windows boxes from the Linux
    >> host,
    >> but I'd like to connect from Windows Remote Desktop clients to the Linux
    >> server. Citrix or Remote Desktop are my two options built into the
    >> firmware.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Jim Carter
    >> Rogers, Arkansas

    > If you're trying to rdesktop to a windows host from Suse, try
    > NXdesktop. Works great!

    Other way around... and RDP or ICA is all that is available on the Windows
    Clients.

    --
    Jim Carter
    Rogers, Arkansas

  11. Re: Citrix or similar server service for openSuse 10.3?

    "houghi" wrote in message
    > Jim Carter wrote:
    >> but I'd like to connect from Windows Remote Desktop clients to the Linux
    >> server. Citrix or Remote Desktop are my two options built into the
    >> firmware.

    > So you want to connect from Windows to Linux and take over the Linux
    > machine? ssh. I am doing that right now. Fast, efficient and fast.
    >
    > houghi
    > --
    > The whole principle [of censorship] is wrong. It's like demanding that
    > grown men live on skim milk because the baby can't have steak.
    > -- Robert A. Heinlein in "The Man Who Sold the Moon"

    "Citrix or Remote Desktop are my two options built into the firmware"

    ssh is not an option.

    --
    Jim Carter
    Rogers, Arkansas

  12. Re: Citrix or similar server service for openSuse 10.3?

    Jim Carter wrote:
    > "Citrix or Remote Desktop are my two options built into the firmware"
    >
    > ssh is not an option.

    OK, so you are looking for a Citrix or Remode Desktop Client.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remote_Desktop_Protocol gives me tsclient
    and rdesktop and some other interesting links for you (I hope)

    For Citrix, I found
    http://www.citrix.com/site/SS/downlo...ownloadID=3323
    No idea about licencing.

    Pity you are unable to run Putty, because that is realy the best way to
    go, IMNSHO

    houghi
    --
    The whole principle [of censorship] is wrong. It's like demanding that
    grown men live on skim milk because the baby can't have steak.
    -- Robert A. Heinlein in "The Man Who Sold the Moon"

  13. Re: Citrix or similar server service for openSuse 10.3?

    On 2008-02-25, Jim Carter wrote:
    > "sammy" wrote in message
    >> On Feb 23, 6:42 pm, "Jim Carter" wrote:
    >>> Is there a Citrix server or similar service for openSuse 10.3 that works
    >>> with Citrix ICA clients? Or in lieu of that, how about a server side
    >>> component for remote desktop? I've got the rdesktop client side loaded
    >>> and
    >>> working just fine for connecting to other Windows boxes from the Linux
    >>> host,
    >>> but I'd like to connect from Windows Remote Desktop clients to the Linux
    >>> server. Citrix or Remote Desktop are my two options built into the
    >>> firmware.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Jim Carter
    >>> Rogers, Arkansas

    >> If you're trying to rdesktop to a windows host from Suse, try
    >> NXdesktop. Works great!

    > Other way around... and RDP or ICA is all that is available on the Windows
    > Clients.

    So let's get this straight first:
    Windows client wants to connect to a Linux box and run graphical
    session?

    If so, install FreeNXServer on the Linux box.

    My instructions here:
    http://localhost/english/linux/freenx.en.html

    That applies to openSUSE but it's available for others, too.

    Then get the windows client from here:
    http://www.nomachine.com/download.php

    You get also the Linux server packages from there in case you would run
    other than openSUSE and you would not have it included in your distro.
    Run and have fun

    It does use ssh but that comes with the client.

    Vahis
    Remodeling my site to train new things:
    http://waxborg.servepics.com
    --
    "The only thing more expensive than training is the lack of it"
    Henry Ford

  14. Re: Citrix or similar server service for openSuse 10.3?

    It turns out that the XRDP work is exactly what I needed. This allows
    windows clients to connect to Linux hosts and display the Linux graphical
    desktop on the windows client. It uses RDP so it fits the thin client
    solution almost perfectly.

    --
    Jim Carter
    Rogers, Arkansas
    > Jim Carter wrote:
    >> "Gary Gapinski" wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> I've been using NX Free Edition v3.1 from nomachine.com on openSUSE 10.3
    >>> x86_64 for several months and am quite pleased with it.

    >> I just reviewed the docs on the nomachine.com NX server free edition and
    >> discovered the following:
    >>
    >> Furthermore, the SSH server daemon (SSHD) needs to be up and running
    >> on
    >> each of the NX Node machines since NX relies on the mechanism provided by
    >> the SSH subsystem for handling user authentication.
    >>
    >> This won't work for me - I need true RDP or ICA protocol on the server
    >> side
    >> because that is all the clients are capable of. The clientas are on a
    >> private (air gapped) network so security isn't my biggest concern.
    >>

    > Sorry - hadn't read closely past "remote desktop".
    >
    > I do not know of anything that allows RDP or ICA access to Linux directly.
    >
    > For remote access by MS Windows clients using RDP, one could run one or
    > more MS Windows OS instances in virtual machines and connect via RDP,
    > but I am unsure what service you wish your clients to avail themselves of.

  15. Re: Citrix or similar server service for openSuse 10.3?

    Jim Carter turned on the Etch-A-Sketch and wrote:

    > It turns out that the XRDP work is exactly what I needed. This allows
    > windows clients to connect to Linux hosts and display the Linux graphical
    > desktop on the windows client. It uses RDP so it fits the thin client
    > solution almost perfectly.

    I often use that for remoting into work. In addition, I use VNC to do the
    reverse.

    --
    www.perfectreign.com || www.filesite.org || www.4thedadz.com