CUPS needs restart after boot - Suse

This is a discussion on CUPS needs restart after boot - Suse ; Since I am running 10.3, I am experiencing a strange CUPS behaviour. A HP Photosmart C5180 is connected via USB. I order to use the HP toolbox it is configured directly via the CUPS interface http://127.0.0.1:631/ . YaST recognises this ...

  1. CUPS needs restart after boot

    Since I am running 10.3, I am experiencing a strange CUPS behaviour.

    A HP Photosmart C5180 is connected via USB.

    I order to use the HP toolbox it is configured directly via the CUPS
    interface http://127.0.0.1:631/. YaST recognises this and with the same
    configuration no problems existed in 10.1.

    After booting the CUPS deamon is running and the printer is idle. The CUPS
    interface tells me that the printer is online and waiting.

    When submitting the first print-job, the printer goes on hold there and has
    to be started. Once this is done it prints any job being submitted, until
    after the next shutdown, resp. boot.

    Is anybody experiencing the same and / or able to tell me what to do, so
    that the printer works right away?

    Thanks for any help!

    Oliver
    --
    _________________________
    SuSE 10.3

  2. Re: CUPS needs restart after boot

    Oliver Cromwell wrote:
    > Since I am running 10.3, I am experiencing a strange CUPS behaviour.
    >
    > A HP Photosmart C5180 is connected via USB.
    >
    > I order to use the HP toolbox it is configured directly via the CUPS
    > interface http://127.0.0.1:631/. YaST recognises this and with the same
    > configuration no problems existed in 10.1.
    >
    > After booting the CUPS deamon is running and the printer is idle. The CUPS
    > interface tells me that the printer is online and waiting.
    >
    > When submitting the first print-job, the printer goes on hold there and has
    > to be started. Once this is done it prints any job being submitted, until
    > after the next shutdown, resp. boot.
    >
    > Is anybody experiencing the same and / or able to tell me what to do, so
    > that the printer works right away?
    >
    > Thanks for any help!
    >
    > Oliver

    I have the same problem with lexmark e240n, no solution found (yet)

  3. Re: CUPS needs restart after boot

    Casperius wrote:
    > I have the same problem with lexmark e240n, no solution found (yet)

    It persisted for months, but after a recent updated of cups via YaST, it is
    working fine and printing right away.
    --
    _________________________
    SuSE 10.3
    Registered Linux user #287760
    http://counter.li.org

  4. Re: CUPS needs restart after boot

    Oliver Cromwell wrote:
    > Casperius wrote:
    >> I have the same problem with lexmark e240n, no solution found (yet)

    > It persisted for months, but after a recent updated of cups via YaST, it is
    > working fine and printing right away.

    so I've seen today, and I must say I was surprised (in a good way)

  5. Re: CUPS needs restart after boot

    I recall having had a similar problem in SuSE 10.0 OSS (still doing
    fine). But then again, it was due to the parallellism of the startup
    script order. Setting the scripts to run serially initially fixed it.

    It was only later on that I found how to cure the problem when running
    them in parallel.

+ Reply to Thread