openSUSE 10.3 install problem - Suse

This is a discussion on openSUSE 10.3 install problem - Suse ; Hi, I know this question has probably been asked a lot (as I have found many postings about it), but I have yet to find a post that fixed my problem. My problem is that when trying to install openSUSE ...

  1. openSUSE 10.3 install problem

    Hi,

    I know this question has probably been asked a lot (as I have found
    many postings about it), but I have yet to find a post that fixed my
    problem. My problem is that when trying to install openSUSE 10.3 on
    an old server, I get an error saying the repository is not found (if
    you want the exact error just ask). So, I have come to the conclusion
    that it is a driver issue and the suse install cannot see my CD (I
    have tried multiple different CDs). This error happens just after it
    tries to load all the initial drivers (just after I click install on
    the main boot screen). I have tried to use the boot option
    "brokenmodule=pata_serverworks" to try and force it to load a
    different driver, but it completely ignores this and tries to load it
    anyways. I have only tried this on one server, which is an old Compaq
    (ProLiant ML330).

    If anyone has any ideas, they would be greatly appreciated. In the
    event I don't get this to work soon, I am just going to install 10.2
    (hopefully with more success).

    Thanks,
    Daniel

  2. Re: openSUSE 10.3 install problem

    Hi Daniel, I am one of the people, who had the same problem, you can
    read about it if you scroll back to February 11th. After trying
    everything back and forth, using different disks and machines, I did
    it via online-update. Even then I had to copy the package list of the
    repository manually. Something strange happens to the repository, when
    10.3 tries to work with it, as if the list cannot be accessed or
    cannot be unzipped. Obviously, you can't unzip it on your dvd, so you
    should try the way I took and define the repository using yast-
    >repositories, then add a new repository like http://www.opensuse.org/repositories.....whatever

    and try to install from that source. This works only, if you have some
    kind of Linux running already, if the machine is empty, then
    installing 10.2 first might be th way. It takes time and a stable
    internet connection, but it worked.

    Regards
    Andreas

+ Reply to Thread