Samba client in 10.3 - Suse

This is a discussion on Samba client in 10.3 - Suse ; For some reason I cannot do a Samba mount with my 10.3 setup. I get the error unknown filesystem type 'smbfs'. My first thought was that I had not got all the appropriate samba packages loaded, but loading 'samba-client' has ...

  1. Samba client in 10.3

    For some reason I cannot do a Samba mount with my 10.3 setup. I get
    the error unknown filesystem type 'smbfs'.

    My first thought was that I had not got all the appropriate samba
    packages loaded, but loading 'samba-client' has not helped.

    I noticed someone here was having trouble with the name resolution, so
    I am using the IP address to mount.

    I've tried with an entry in fstab, and also a direct mount from the
    command line, neither work.

    Curiously, in Konqueror, I can view the directory I'm trying to mount
    with smb://

    Anyone any idea what I'm doing wrong?
    --
    David Wilson Clarke

  2. Re: Samba client in 10.3

    David Wilson Clarke wrote:
    > error unknown filesystem type 'smbfs'.

    use cifs instead

    > I've tried with an entry in fstab, and also a direct mount from the
    > command line, neither work.

    You should use /etc/samba/smbfstab for that if you use passwords.

    kind regards,
    Andreas

  3. Re: Samba client in 10.3

    On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 16:36:36 UTC, David Wilson Clarke
    wrote:

    > For some reason I cannot do a Samba mount with my 10.3 setup. I get
    > the error unknown filesystem type 'smbfs'.
    >
    > My first thought was that I had not got all the appropriate samba
    > packages loaded, but loading 'samba-client' has not helped.
    >
    > I noticed someone here was having trouble with the name resolution, so
    > I am using the IP address to mount.
    >
    > I've tried with an entry in fstab, and also a direct mount from the
    > command line, neither work.
    >
    > Curiously, in Konqueror, I can view the directory I'm trying to mount
    > with smb://
    >
    > Anyone any idea what I'm doing wrong?

    In my questions on SAMBA - Here was the BEST advice I was given:

    ------Quote of reply --------

    I always use Tweakhound's excellent tutorial to get my machines to
    Samba. Find it here:

    http://www.tweakhound.com/linux/samba/page_1.htm

    It was written for 10.1 but works well for 10.3 too. However I use
    static IP addresses. But this may work as he uses swat to enable the
    hosts. Also in his Global section he changes the browse options that
    may
    help. And he shows how to get around the firewall. Spend some time
    with
    Tweakhound. Also make sure you set up an samba password for the users
    of
    the Win2000 machines.

    If that doesn't cut it for you it is time to start hand editing some
    of
    the samba config files. Here's what I've used to get that done:

    http://www.samba.netfirms.com/

    Good luck.

    Tom

    --

  4. Re: Samba client in 10.3

    Andreas Stieger wrote:

    > David Wilson Clarke wrote:
    >> error unknown filesystem type 'smbfs'.

    > use cifs instead
    >
    >> I've tried with an entry in fstab, and also a direct mount from the
    >> command line, neither work.

    > You should use /etc/samba/smbfstab for that if you use passwords.

    Now tried using /etc/samba/smbfstab, with cifs instead of smbfs, and
    all works.

    Thanks for your help.
    --
    David Wilson Clarke

  5. Re: Samba client in 10.3

    PaulRS wrote:

    > On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 16:36:36 UTC, David Wilson Clarke
    > wrote:
    >
    >> For some reason I cannot do a Samba mount with my 10.3 setup. I get
    >> the error unknown filesystem type 'smbfs'.
    >>
    >> My first thought was that I had not got all the appropriate samba
    >> packages loaded, but loading 'samba-client' has not helped.
    >>
    >> I noticed someone here was having trouble with the name resolution,
    >> so I am using the IP address to mount.
    >>
    >> I've tried with an entry in fstab, and also a direct mount from the
    >> command line, neither work.
    >>
    >> Curiously, in Konqueror, I can view the directory I'm trying to
    >> mount with smb://
    >>
    >> Anyone any idea what I'm doing wrong?

    > In my questions on SAMBA - Here was the BEST advice I was given:
    >
    > ------Quote of reply --------
    >
    > I always use Tweakhound's excellent tutorial to get my machines to
    > Samba. Find it here:
    >
    > http://www.tweakhound.com/linux/samba/page_1.htm

    Thanks for that, it's mainly for providing a Samba server, whereas
    it's the client I need.

    I notice in the tutorial there is a YaST2 Samba Client setup section.
    This does not appear on my YaST, I would have definitely used it, if
    it was available. I have checked, and the YaST2 Samba Client package
    is loaded, so not sure why it doesn't appear.

    I have now solved my problem, as I said in my other follow up post, by
    editing '/etc/samba/smbfstab'.
    --
    David Wilson Clarke

+ Reply to Thread