Open Office Base and java - Suse

This is a discussion on Open Office Base and java - Suse ; Open Office Base and java - problem with updates? When I first installed openSUSE 10.3 64-bit (retail) then Open Office Base worked fine. However I have just tried to use Open Office Base and it no longer works. I now ...

  1. Open Office Base and java

    Open Office Base and java - problem with updates?

    When I first installed openSUSE 10.3 64-bit (retail) then Open Office Base
    worked fine. However I have just tried to use Open Office Base and it no
    longer works.

    I now get an error message: "The connection to the data source could not be
    established" when I go to menu and click Tools -> Options ->
    OpenOffice.org -> java then it lists two Java Runtime Environments:
    /usr/lib64/jvm/java-1.5.0-sun-1.5.0_update14/jre
    /usr/lib64/jvm/java-1.6.0.u4-sun-1.6.0.u4/jre
    but neither are selected and when I try to enable either of them I get the
    message "JRE is Defective".

    For screen shots of the error messages see:
    http://www.euclideanspace.com/softwa...ting/index.htm

    I have been running Online updates since openSUSE 10.3 was installed but
    unfortunately I don't know at what point Base stopped working. I cant
    remember which JRE was being used when Base worked. As far as I can tell
    Base has not been updated but the JREs have been.

    Does anyone know what version of java is required to run with
    OpenOffice.org?

    Thanks,

    Martin

  2. Re: Open Office Base and java

    On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 08:55:33 +0000, mjb wrote:

    > Open Office Base and java - problem with updates?
    >
    > When I first installed openSUSE 10.3 64-bit (retail) then Open Office
    > Base worked fine. However I have just tried to use Open Office Base and
    > it no longer works.
    >
    > I now get an error message: "The connection to the data source could not
    > be established" when I go to menu and click Tools -> Options ->
    > OpenOffice.org -> java then it lists two Java Runtime Environments:
    > /usr/lib64/jvm/java-1.5.0-sun-1.5.0_update14/jre
    > /usr/lib64/jvm/java-1.6.0.u4-sun-1.6.0.u4/jre but neither are selected
    > and when I try to enable either of them I get the message "JRE is
    > Defective".
    >
    > For screen shots of the error messages see:
    > http://www.euclideanspace.com/softwa...ional/example/

    troubleshooting/index.htm

    > I have been running Online updates since openSUSE 10.3 was installed but
    > unfortunately I don't know at what point Base stopped working. I cant
    > remember which JRE was being used when Base worked. As far as I can tell
    > Base has not been updated but the JREs have been.
    >
    > Does anyone know what version of java is required to run with
    > OpenOffice.org?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Martin

    Try (as root): update-alternatives --auto java

    I find that SUSE's java often has broken symlinks related to its java
    installations.
    --
    James
    *Note: Remove every other letter for correct email address

  3. Re: Open Office Base and java

    James wrote:
    > Try (as root): update-alternatives --auto java
    >
    > I find that SUSE's java often has broken symlinks related to its java
    > installations.

    James,

    Thanks for the idea but I don't think it had any effect.

    I typed it into the command line (as root) this did not genereate any
    messages and just returned the prompt. I then rebooted (just in case) but
    no change in behaviour, the same two JREs were detected and Base still
    reports them as broken.

    I also tried pushing the 'add' button in Bases options dialog and trying to
    select some of the JREs in /etc/alternatives such
    as /etc/alternatives/jre_1.4.2 but this just gave the message "The folder
    you selected does not contain a Java runtime environment. Please select a
    different folder."

    On thing I should have mentioned earlier, other progams that use Java like
    Konqueror and Eclipse still work fine.

    I seem to remember a long time ago that openOffice only worked with 32-bit
    JREs. I expect that may be out of date now? Does anyone know if openOffice
    has any special requirements about flavours of Java?

    I've updated:
    http://www.euclideanspace.com/softwa...oubleshooting/
    with screendumps showing these issues.

    Thanks,

    Martin

  4. Re: Open Office Base and java

    mjb wrote:

    > Open Office Base and java - problem with updates?
    >
    > When I first installed openSUSE 10.3 64-bit (retail) then Open Office Base
    > worked fine. However I have just tried to use Open Office Base and it no
    > longer works.
    >
    > I now get an error message: "The connection to the data source could not
    > be established" when I go to menu and click Tools -> Options ->
    > OpenOffice.org -> java then it lists two Java Runtime Environments:
    > /usr/lib64/jvm/java-1.5.0-sun-1.5.0_update14/jre
    > /usr/lib64/jvm/java-1.6.0.u4-sun-1.6.0.u4/jre
    > but neither are selected and when I try to enable either of them I get the
    > message "JRE is Defective".
    >
    > For screen shots of the error messages see:

    http://www.euclideanspace.com/softwa...ting/index.htm

    > I have been running Online updates since openSUSE 10.3 was installed but
    > unfortunately I don't know at what point Base stopped working. I cant
    > remember which JRE was being used when Base worked. As far as I can tell
    > Base has not been updated but the JREs have been.
    >
    > Does anyone know what version of java is required to run with
    > OpenOffice.org?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Martin

    If that is the case uninstall all of openoffice but do it like this delete
    all openoffice folders and executables then delete openoffice then
    reinstall it that will give you a clean install of openoffice then work
    from there if you have upgraded java do the same.

    Then start upgrading then you can work out at what point it stops working.

    question did you need to run the updates in the first place you might find
    you don't need to install the updates. and if you do run the updates do it
    manually. And then you might find you don't need to do them.

    for some updates are hardware specific.;

  5. Re: Open Office Base and java

    > If that is the case uninstall all of openoffice but do it like this delete
    > all openoffice folders and executables then delete openoffice then
    > reinstall it that will give you a clean install of openoffice then work
    > from there if you have upgraded java do the same.
    >
    > Then start upgrading then you can work out at what point it stops working.
    >
    > question did you need to run the updates in the first place you might find
    > you don't need to install the updates. and if you do run the updates do it
    > manually. And then you might find you don't need to do them.
    >
    > for some updates are hardware specific.;

    Thanks Darklight,

    Reinstalling Open Office seems to work! although thinking about it I suspect
    it might have been deleting the .ooo-2.0 directory in my local directory
    that did it?

    If I don't accept all the updates suggested by the openSUSE Updater, is
    there a way to tell it not to keep nagging me about the updates that I
    don't want but to nag me about updates that I do want?

    Thanks again,

    Martin

  6. Re: Open Office Base and java

    mjb wrote:

    >> If that is the case uninstall all of openoffice but do it like this
    >> delete all openoffice folders and executables then delete openoffice then
    >> reinstall it that will give you a clean install of openoffice then work
    >> from there if you have upgraded java do the same.
    >>
    >> Then start upgrading then you can work out at what point it stops
    >> working.
    >>
    >> question did you need to run the updates in the first place you might
    >> find you don't need to install the updates. and if you do run the updates
    >> do it manually. And then you might find you don't need to do them.
    >>
    >> for some updates are hardware specific.;

    > Thanks Darklight,
    >
    > Reinstalling Open Office seems to work! although thinking about it I
    > suspect it might have been deleting the .ooo-2.0 directory in my local
    > directory that did it?
    >
    > If I don't accept all the updates suggested by the openSUSE Updater, is
    > there a way to tell it not to keep nagging me about the updates that I
    > don't want but to nag me about updates that I do want?
    >
    > Thanks again,
    >
    > Martin

    i can't answer that one, but i use smart package manager to update my apps
    if i need to i my view it works better than YasT2.

+ Reply to Thread