openOffice Php MySQL - Suse

This is a discussion on openOffice Php MySQL - Suse ; I'm wondering where to look for instructions to the following: I have some Oo spreadsheets with a few columns and a few hundred rows. They can be exported as static XHTML pages obviously. How could they be made dynamic? So ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 45

  1. openOffice Php MySQL

    I'm wondering where to look for instructions to the following:

    I have some Oo spreadsheets with a few columns and a few hundred rows.
    They can be exported as static XHTML pages obviously.

    How could they be made dynamic? So that they could be sorted in
    different ways like they can in the original spreadsheet.

    I think this would require Php and MySQL but I have no idea how to do
    this.

    Vahis
    Remodeling my site to train new things:
    http://waxborg.servepics.com
    --
    "The only thing more expensive than training is the lack of it"
    Henry Ford

  2. Re: openOffice Php MySQL

    On 2008-02-19 09:12, Vahis wrote:
    > I'm wondering where to look for instructions to the following:
    >
    > I have some Oo spreadsheets with a few columns and a few hundred rows.
    > They can be exported as static XHTML pages obviously.
    >
    > How could they be made dynamic? So that they could be sorted in
    > different ways like they can in the original spreadsheet.
    >
    > I think this would require Php and MySQL but I have no idea how to do
    > this.
    >
    > Vahis
    > Remodeling my site to train new things:
    > http://waxborg.servepics.com

    All I have for you is this link:

    http://www.linux.com/articles/60185

    Not sure how much that is included in opensuse and what you must do
    by hand.

    /bb

  3. Re: openOffice Php MySQL

    On 2008-02-19, birre wrote:
    > On 2008-02-19 09:12, Vahis wrote:
    >> I'm wondering where to look for instructions to the following:
    >>
    >> I have some Oo spreadsheets with a few columns and a few hundred rows.
    >> They can be exported as static XHTML pages obviously.
    >>
    >> How could they be made dynamic? So that they could be sorted in
    >> different ways like they can in the original spreadsheet.
    >>
    >> I think this would require Php and MySQL but I have no idea how to do
    >> this.
    >>
    >> Vahis
    >> Remodeling my site to train new things:
    >> http://waxborg.servepics.com

    > All I have for you is this link:
    >
    > http://www.linux.com/articles/60185
    >
    > Not sure how much that is included in opensuse and what you must do
    > by hand.
    >
    > /bb

    Tnanks, neighbor

    This whole thing seems to be a lot more than first thought.

    The more I try to find out about this the more it's starting to look
    like I'd be better off concentrating on things more suitable for my
    age or something

    Vahis
    Remodeling my site to train new things:
    http://waxborg.servepics.com
    --
    "The only thing more expensive than training is the lack of it"
    Henry Ford

  4. Re: openOffice Php MySQL

    Vahis wrote:

    > I'm wondering where to look for instructions to the following:
    >
    > I have some Oo spreadsheets with a few columns and a few hundred rows.
    > They can be exported as static XHTML pages obviously.
    >
    > How could they be made dynamic? So that they could be sorted in
    > different ways like they can in the original spreadsheet.
    >
    > I think this would require Php and MySQL but I have no idea how to do
    > this.

    Don't think spreadsheet. Think database. Databases are developed for
    recombinant data reports, spreadsheet for dull static rows and columns.
    Quite frankly I've never seen a use for spreadsheets, nor an instance where
    databases could not do a better job.

    --
    Later,
    Darrell Stec darstec@neo.rr.com

    Webpage Sorcery
    http://webpagesorcery.com
    We Put the Magic in Your Webpages

  5. Re: openOffice Php MySQL

    On 2008-02-19, Darrell Stec wrote:
    > Vahis wrote:
    >
    >> I'm wondering where to look for instructions to the following:
    >>
    >> I have some Oo spreadsheets with a few columns and a few hundred rows.
    >> They can be exported as static XHTML pages obviously.
    >>
    >> How could they be made dynamic? So that they could be sorted in
    >> different ways like they can in the original spreadsheet.
    >>
    >> I think this would require Php and MySQL but I have no idea how to do
    >> this.
    >>

    > Don't think spreadsheet. Think database. Databases are developed for
    > recombinant data reports, spreadsheet for dull static rows and columns.
    > Quite frankly I've never seen a use for spreadsheets, nor an instance where
    > databases could not do a better job.

    But I already have these spreadsheets available.

    What I'd like to have is dynamic tables on a web page.

    They obviously should be exported to a database.
    I have this idea of exporting them (or importing) them to MySQL.
    Then I obviously need something like MyPhpadmin to create the reports.

    The intention is just to display the pages, not have them editable by
    visitors.
    It's just that since I can't picture the concept clearly I'm stuck so
    far.

    When I understand what exactly I need to do I'm sure I'll find the tools
    since there are great people around

    Now I seem to find some tools but I don't really know what to do with
    them.

    Since I don't speak Php or SQL I obviously need GUI.

    Vahis
    Remodeling my site to train new things:
    http://waxborg.servepics.com
    --
    "The only thing more expensive than training is the lack of it"
    Henry Ford

  6. Re: openOffice Php MySQL

    Vahis wrote:

    > On 2008-02-19, Darrell Stec wrote:
    >> Vahis wrote:
    >>
    >>> I'm wondering where to look for instructions to the following:
    >>>
    >>> I have some Oo spreadsheets with a few columns and a few hundred rows.
    >>> They can be exported as static XHTML pages obviously.
    >>>
    >>> How could they be made dynamic? So that they could be sorted in
    >>> different ways like they can in the original spreadsheet.
    >>>
    >>> I think this would require Php and MySQL but I have no idea how to do
    >>> this.
    >>>

    >> Don't think spreadsheet. Think database. Databases are developed for
    >> recombinant data reports, spreadsheet for dull static rows and columns.
    >> Quite frankly I've never seen a use for spreadsheets, nor an instance
    >> where databases could not do a better job.

    > But I already have these spreadsheets available.
    >
    > What I'd like to have is dynamic tables on a web page.
    >
    > They obviously should be exported to a database.
    > I have this idea of exporting them (or importing) them to MySQL.
    > Then I obviously need something like MyPhpadmin to create the reports.
    >
    > The intention is just to display the pages, not have them editable by
    > visitors.
    > It's just that since I can't picture the concept clearly I'm stuck so
    > far.
    >
    > When I understand what exactly I need to do I'm sure I'll find the tools
    > since there are great people around
    >
    > Now I seem to find some tools but I don't really know what to do with
    > them.
    >
    > Since I don't speak Php or SQL I obviously need GUI.
    >
    > Vahis
    > Remodeling my site to train new things:
    > http://waxborg.servepics.com

    As you aren't clear on the concept yet here's a simple idea. Why not just
    provide a link to the spreadsheet and then they can just download it.. You
    can allow them to open it up and edit it if you want or you can lock the
    spreadsheet so they can't.. That's up to you. Obviously they can open it
    up in OpenOffice on whatever platform they're using. Then they'll be able
    to see/use it just like you. You could even run an ftp server and allow
    them to upload there modified spread sheet or better yet use SSH for that..

    If you really want to go the hard route you can use Eclipse or some other
    development platform to create an AJAX web site. If you want you can
    convert your java project to Ajax with Googles web tool kit here:

    http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/

    Or use this:

    http://www.projectzero.org/wiki/bin/view/Main/WebHome

  7. Re: openOffice Php MySQL

    On 2008-02-20, Michael Soibelman wrote:
    > Vahis wrote:
    >
    >> On 2008-02-19, Darrell Stec wrote:
    >>> Vahis wrote:
    >>>

    >> What I'd like to have is dynamic tables on a web page.

    >> The intention is just to display the pages, not have them editable by
    >> visitors.
    >>
    >> Since I don't speak Php or SQL I obviously need GUI.
    >>

    > Why not just provide a link to the spreadsheet and then they can just download it..

    I have a link to an XHTML page exported from Oo.
    That's fine else and all but I'd like to have sorting on the columns.

    It looks like that is too much to ask with my skills though.

    >You
    > can allow them to open it up and edit it if you want

    That's exctly what I don't want to do.

    > or you can lock the
    > spreadsheet so they can't.. That's up to you. Obviously they can open it
    > up in OpenOffice on whatever platform they're using.

    I just want to show it in browsers. And let it be sorted according to
    any columns the viewer likes.

    > Then they'll be able
    > to see/use it just like you. You could even run an ftp server and allow
    > them to upload there modified spread sheet or better yet use SSH for that..

    No. No modifications, no uploads.

    > If you really want to go the hard route you can use Eclipse or some other
    > development platform to create an AJAX web site. If you want you can
    > convert your java project to Ajax with Googles web tool kit here:
    >
    > http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/
    >
    > Or use this:
    >
    > http://www.projectzero.org/wiki/bin/view/Main/WebHome

    Those really look like Broadway The Hard Way

    Thanks for you effort

    Vahis
    Remodeling my site to train new things:
    http://waxborg.servepics.com
    --
    "The only thing more expensive than training is the lack of it"
    Henry Ford

  8. Re: openOffice Php MySQL

    On 2008-02-19, Vahis wrote:
    > I'm wondering where to look for instructions to the following:
    >
    > I have some Oo spreadsheets with a few columns and a few hundred rows.
    > They can be exported as static XHTML pages obviously.
    >
    > How could they be made dynamic? So that they could be sorted in
    > different ways like they can in the original spreadsheet.
    >
    > I think this would require Php and MySQL but I have no idea how to do
    > this.

    I have manually entered a few lines in a table there:

    http://waxborg.servepics.com/testsite/sorttable.html

    It does now what I want but manual entry is out of the question.
    But in principal this table could be a start...

    Vahis
    Remodeling my site to train new things:
    http://waxborg.servepics.com
    --
    "The only thing more expensive than training is the lack of it"
    Henry Ford

  9. Re: openOffice Php MySQL

    On Wed, 20 Feb 2008, Vahis wrote:-

    >I have manually entered a few lines in a table there:
    >
    >http://waxborg.servepics.com/testsite/sorttable.html
    >
    >It does now what I want but manual entry is out of the question.
    >But in principal this table could be a start...

    You're wanting something like this for displaying the data?

    Source of which is here:

    The command I used for creating the MySQL table is here:

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit | openSUSE 10.3 32bit | openSUSE 11.0a1

  10. Re: openOffice Php MySQL

    On 2008-02-21, David Bolt wrote:
    > On Wed, 20 Feb 2008, Vahis wrote:-
    >
    >>I have manually entered a few lines in a table there:
    >>
    >>http://waxborg.servepics.com/testsite/sorttable.html
    >>
    >>It does now what I want but manual entry is out of the question.
    >>But in principal this table could be a start...

    > You're wanting something like this for displaying the data?

    That looks very much like it, yes

    Sorting seems to be one way only.
    This would be the least of my worries with the combination of MySQL and
    Php though. Not to mention how to get the data from Oo spreadsheets.

    > Source of which is here:
    >

    > The command I used for creating the MySQL table is here:

    Thanks, David I'll try to get on the wagon.
    Now I must do it literally, my cab just came from the night shift and
    it needs some driving

    Vahis
    Remodeling my site to train new things:
    http://waxborg.servepics.com
    --
    "The only thing more expensive than training is the lack of it"
    Henry Ford

  11. Re: openOffice Php MySQL

    On 2008-02-21 02:49, David Bolt wrote:
    > On Wed, 20 Feb 2008, Vahis wrote:-
    >
    >> I have manually entered a few lines in a table there:
    >>
    >> http://waxborg.servepics.com/testsite/sorttable.html
    >>
    >> It does now what I want but manual entry is out of the question.
    >> But in principal this table could be a start...

    > You're wanting something like this for displaying the data?
    >

    > Source of which is here:
    >

    > The command I used for creating the MySQL table is here:
    >

    > Regards,
    > David Bolt

    I can also thank you for this, I have a functional query, but
    wanted to add the sort by tabs, and can learn from your script.

    But it should not have the db passwords in the same file,
    I always create a config directory with an .htaccess inside
    saying "deny from all" , and include that file from the main
    script. This prevent the db user and password to be sent to
    a remote browser if something bad happen to php.

    /bb

  12. Re: openOffice Php MySQL

    On Thu, 21 Feb 2008, Vahis wrote:-

    >On 2008-02-21, David Bolt wrote:
    >> On Wed, 20 Feb 2008, Vahis wrote:-
    >>
    >>>I have manually entered a few lines in a table there:
    >>>
    >>>http://waxborg.servepics.com/testsite/sorttable.html
    >>>
    >>>It does now what I want but manual entry is out of the question.
    >>>But in principal this table could be a start...

    >> You're wanting something like this for displaying the data?
    >>

    >That looks very much like it, yes
    >
    >Sorting seems to be one way only.

    Easily fixed. Updated it a touch and it now sorts both ways :-)

    >This would be the least of my worries with the combination of MySQL and
    >Php though. Not to mention how to get the data from Oo spreadsheets.

    That all depends on how much data there is. If there's not a lot, adding
    them to the database manually shouldn't be too much of a problem. If
    there's a lot, exporting the data in CVS format and then import the data
    into the database is probably the easier way to go.

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit | openSUSE 10.3 32bit | openSUSE 11.0a1

  13. Re: openOffice Php MySQL

    On Thu, 21 Feb 2008, birre wrote:-

    >I can also thank you for this, I have a functional query, but
    >wanted to add the sort by tabs, and can learn from your script.

    I can't really say it's my idea, but I also can't recall where I
    actually saw it either.

    >But it should not have the db passwords in the same file,
    >I always create a config directory with an .htaccess inside
    >saying "deny from all" , and include that file from the main
    >script.

    Normally I do something similar. In this case, it was a quick page that
    I knocked together. What I should have done is to include a couple of
    comments saying that for the best security, create a user just for the
    script that has read-only access to that database. Makes it much safer
    since, even if someone does manage to get the user name and password
    together, they still can't do anything with it.

    >This prevent the db user and password to be sent to
    >a remote browser if something bad happen to php.

    I have experience of that as well[0]. Had to change passwords on a
    couple of databases as a result :-|

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit | openSUSE 10.3 32bit | openSUSE 11.0a1

  14. Re: openOffice Php MySQL

    On Thu, 21 Feb 2008, David Bolt wrote:-

    >On Thu, 21 Feb 2008, Vahis wrote:-

    >>That looks very much like it, yes
    >>
    >>Sorting seems to be one way only.

    >Easily fixed. Updated it a touch and it now sorts both ways :-)

    Well, having a few minutes spare, I've tweaked it again.

    The directors names are now links, as are the release years, and you get
    a list of movies directed by a specific director, or released during a
    particular year. I've added a limit so that you can restrict the number
    of movies initially displayed. When I get some more free time, I'll add
    in the necessary code so you can skip forwards and backwards a page at a
    time.

    The sources for the director and release date pages are at:

    and

    respectively.

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit | openSUSE 10.3 32bit | openSUSE 11.0a1

  15. Re: openOffice Php MySQL

    On 2008-02-21, David Bolt wrote:
    > On Thu, 21 Feb 2008, David Bolt wrote:-
    >
    >>On Thu, 21 Feb 2008, Vahis wrote:-

    >>>That looks very much like it, yes
    >>>
    >>>Sorting seems to be one way only.

    >>Easily fixed. Updated it a touch and it now sorts both ways :-)

    > Well, having a few minutes spare, I've tweaked it again.
    >
    > The directors names are now links, as are the release years, and you get
    > a list of movies directed by a specific director, or released during a
    > particular year. I've added a limit so that you can restrict the number
    > of movies initially displayed. When I get some more free time, I'll add
    > in the necessary code so you can skip forwards and backwards a page at a
    > time.

    You are all too quick for me

    Of course that's what I also want to do.

    I'm trying to set up a movie database with the titles, release years,
    starring actors, possible Academy awards etc.

    A bit like IMDB but only a few movies. I'm not saying that these
    movies would exist for example on my server or anything, but let's just
    assume that this database would today consist of maybe 300 titles.

    I have MySQL running now.

    So far I haven't been able to figure out how to set up anything in
    there. I just don't bloody know how to start with anything.

    I'm this far anyway:

    mysql> SELECT NOW();
    +---------------------+
    | NOW() |
    +---------------------+
    | 2008-02-21 19:59:24 |
    +---------------------+
    1 row in set (0.02 sec)

    Yippee!

    Vahis
    Remodeling my site to train new things:
    http://waxborg.servepics.com
    --
    "The only thing more expensive than training is the lack of it"
    Henry Ford

  16. Re: openOffice Php MySQL

    Vahis wrote:

    > On 2008-02-21, David Bolt wrote:

    >> The directors names are now links, as are the release years, and you
    >> get a list of movies directed by a specific director, or released
    >> during a particular year. I've added a limit so that you can restrict
    >> the number of movies initially displayed. When I get some more free
    >> time, I'll add in the necessary code so you can skip forwards and
    >> backwards a page at a time.

    > You are all too quick for me

    :-)

    > Of course that's what I also want to do.

    Just as well it's implemented then.

    > I'm trying to set up a movie database with the titles, release years,
    > starring actors, possible Academy awards etc.

    Oh, one extra column in the table. No problem, it's easily added.

    > A bit like IMDB but only a few movies. I'm not saying that these
    > movies would exist for example on my server or anything, but let's
    > just assume that this database would today consist of maybe 300
    > titles.

    Easy enough. The first couple of versions didn't support paging. The
    latest one lets you choose between 25, 50, 100, 200 or all entries.

    You can see the demo here:

    I've split the code up a bit as it makes it easier to re-use parts in
    the other pages, so there's a few more source files here:

    These will all need to be renamed as .php files to work, and you'll need
    to fill in the required details in setup_database.php for it to work.

    And, with the new column, the command to create the table is here:

    However, first you'll need to create a database so, while you have the
    MySQL console open, use the command:

    create database ;

    Just to make sure, you do need the ';' at the end of the command or
    MySQL doesn't know you've finished it.

    Once you've created the database, you'll need to start using it. You do
    that by using the command:

    use ;

    Then you can copy and paste in the contents of create_table.sql .

    After that, it's just a case of adding the data from the spreadsheet

    > I have MySQL running now.
    >
    > So far I haven't been able to figure out how to set up anything in
    > there. I just don't bloody know how to start with anything.

    Unless you're going to be manipulating the database directly, you can
    virtually ignore using the MySQL console, and use PHP to do the
    necessary queries.

    > I'm this far anyway:
    >
    > mysql> SELECT NOW();
    > +---------------------+
    > | NOW() |
    > +---------------------+
    > | 2008-02-21 19:59:24 |
    > +---------------------+
    > 1 row in set (0.02 sec)
    >
    > Yippee!

    :-)

  17. Re: openOffice Php MySQL

    On 2008-02-21, db wrote:
    > Vahis wrote:
    >
    >> On 2008-02-21, David Bolt wrote:

    >>> The directors names are now links, as are the release years, and you
    >>> get a list of movies directed by a specific director, or released
    >>> during a particular year. I've added a limit so that you can restrict
    >>> the number of movies initially displayed. When I get some more free
    >>> time, I'll add in the necessary code so you can skip forwards and
    >>> backwards a page at a time.

    >> I'm trying to set up a movie database with the titles, release years,
    >> starring actors, possible Academy awards etc.

    > Oh, one extra column in the table. No problem, it's easily added.
    >
    >> A bit like IMDB but only a few movies. I'm not saying that these
    >> movies would exist for example on my server or anything, but let's
    >> just assume that this database would today consist of maybe 300
    >> titles.

    > Easy enough. The first couple of versions didn't support paging. The
    > latest one lets you choose between 25, 50, 100, 200 or all entries.
    >
    > You can see the demo here:

    Awesome!
    That's pretty much I've been having in mind

    > I've split the code up a bit as it makes it easier to re-use parts in
    > the other pages, so there's a few more source files here:
    >

    > These will all need to be renamed as .php files to work, and you'll need
    > to fill in the required details in setup_database.php for it to work.
    >
    > And, with the new column, the command to create the table is here:
    >

    > However, first you'll need to create a database so, while you have the
    > MySQL console open, use the command:
    >
    > create database ;

    In the meantime I was able to create a couple of databases.
    No tables or anything yet.

    > Just to make sure, you do need the ';' at the end of the command or
    > MySQL doesn't know you've finished it.

    I realised that at a stage. It was a bitch. (syntax errors are)

    > Once you've created the database, you'll need to start using it. You do
    > that by using the command:
    >
    > use ;
    >
    > Then you can copy and paste in the contents of create_table.sql .
    >
    > After that, it's just a case of adding the data from the spreadsheet
    >
    >> I have MySQL running now.
    >>
    >> So far I haven't been able to figure out how to set up anything in
    >> there. I just don't bloody know how to start with anything.

    > Unless you're going to be manipulating the database directly, you can
    > virtually ignore using the MySQL console, and use PHP to do the
    > necessary queries.

    I also became aware of the GUIs MySQL Administrator and Query Browser.
    I installed them and had a quick look.
    They looked like something I might get along with.
    I thought maybe I would use those to maintain the database while the
    results would be shown in Php pages.

    Now who needs to be the database root? Another user or the real thing?
    Who needs to be the user to edit the information and who is showing it?

    >> I'm this far anyway:
    >>
    >> mysql> SELECT NOW();
    >> +---------------------+
    >> | NOW() |
    >> +---------------------+
    >> | 2008-02-21 19:59:24 |
    >> +---------------------+
    >> 1 row in set (0.02 sec)
    >>
    >> Yippee!

    >:-)

    After this I decided to get some sleep and now the cab is here again
    I'll be back in another ten to twelve hours...

    Vahis
    Remodeling my site to train new things:
    http://waxborg.servepics.com
    --
    "The only thing more expensive than training is the lack of it"
    Henry Ford

  18. Re: openOffice Php MySQL

    Vahis wrote:
    >>> I'm trying to set up a movie database with the titles, release years,
    >>> starring actors, possible Academy awards etc.

    >> You can see the demo here:
    >>

    > Awesome!
    > That's pretty much I've been having in mind

    I use http://opendb.iamvegan.net/

    The HUGE advatage is that you can just enter the name of the movie and
    it will look up the data for you. You can select from different sites.

    Not only will it download the URL to IMDB, it will also download
    pictures, description, ratings, ....

    It is intended so you can lend out your Media, but you can also use it
    to just keep a database for yourself.

    You can let people see some movies, but not the boobies movies.

    Great stuff for the intended purpose. It will also maintain your CD's,
    books, games, ....

    Look at the demo site. It is free and open and pretty neat.

    houghi
    --
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust,
    sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.

  19. Re: openOffice Php MySQL

    On 2008-02-22, houghi wrote:

    >>> You can see the demo here:
    >>>

    >> Awesome!
    >> That's pretty much I've been having in mind

    > I use http://opendb.iamvegan.net/
    >
    > The HUGE advatage is that you can just enter the name of the movie and
    > it will look up the data for you. You can select from different sites.
    >
    > Not only will it download the URL to IMDB, it will also download
    > pictures, description, ratings, ....
    >
    > It is intended so you can lend out your Media, but you can also use it
    > to just keep a database for yourself.

    That looks interesting. So you install it and it resides on your box?
    It fetches information from external sources like for example Amarok?
    You can make Php queries to show on a web page?

    > You can let people see some movies, but not the boobies movies.

    No, nothing about boobies will be displayed. I want to keep my
    boobie collection for my own eyes only.

    > Great stuff for the intended purpose. It will also maintain your CD's,
    > books, games, ....
    >
    > Look at the demo site. It is free and open and pretty neat.

    I had a quick browse. Will do more later.

    Is that any good for learning stuff about database?

    Vahis
    Remodeling my site to train new things:
    http://waxborg.servepics.com
    --
    "Too bad all the people who know how to run this country are busy
    running taxicabs or cutting hair."

  20. Re: openOffice Php MySQL

    On Fri, 22 Feb 2008, Vahis wrote:-

    >An example: Movies, starring actors, Samuel L. Jackson.
    >Names need two columns, the first column will hold also the middle
    >name or initial. But better add third column for name suffix like
    >junior, jr. My experience is that it can be needed later with some names.

    Names could be a single column. There's no need to separate them, unless
    you're wanting to be able to search on a surname. Also, having a single
    column for the name means you don't have to duplicate three or four
    columns when you suddenly need to add one, or more, other "leading
    actors"

    >Maybe the columns are easy to add afterwards in MySQL?

    Yes, using the command:

    alter table add column

    Using the name suffix example, and a table name movies, the command
    would be something like:

    alter table movies add column name_suffix varchar(16) not null default '';

    This will do just what it reads like, which is to add a column that will
    hold text of upto 16 characters per entry, the default being an empty
    string, to the table. Any existing entries will get the new column added
    and the default entry will be used for them.

    If, at some point in time, you discover that the 16 characters wasn't
    enough, you can modify the column using:

    alter table movies modify column name_suffix varchar(32) not null default '';

    Which will then enlarge the name_suffix column so it can hole 32
    characters.