installing on usb drive - Suse

This is a discussion on installing on usb drive - Suse ; I have an Acer laptop that will allow me to boot from a USB drive. Is it possible to install openSuSE on a USB drive, Ideally I'd like to leave my system as it is, and when I want to ...

  1. installing on usb drive

    I have an Acer laptop that will allow me to boot from a USB drive. Is it
    possible to install openSuSE on a USB drive, Ideally I'd like to leave my
    system as it is, and when I want to boot Linux just change the boot order
    in the bios and boot from the USB drive. Any help would be appreciated.

    --
    d.b. cooper
    ===========

  2. Re: installing on usb drive

    d.b. cooper wrote:

    > I have an Acer laptop that will allow me to boot from a USB drive. Is it
    > possible to install openSuSE on a USB drive, Ideally I'd like to leave my
    > system as it is, and when I want to boot Linux just change the boot order
    > in the bios and boot from the USB drive. Any help would be appreciated.

    It depends upon the capacity of your USB drive. I use Puppy Linux on a 1 GB
    USB drive and also on a 2 GB USB drive for what you are specifying.
    This leaves plenty of space for data files, in addition to the Linux
    operating system. Damn Small Linux (50 MB) is even more popular, but it
    won't recognize my modem.

    Any of the larger Linux distributions require much more space and are better
    suited to Hard Disks for that reason.

    HTH

    Godzilla

  3. Re: installing on usb drive

    On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 20:25:04 -0600, Godzilla
    wrote:

    >d.b. cooper wrote:
    >
    >> I have an Acer laptop that will allow me to boot from a USB drive. Is it
    >> possible to install openSuSE on a USB drive, Ideally I'd like to leave my
    >> system as it is, and when I want to boot Linux just change the boot order
    >> in the bios and boot from the USB drive. Any help would be appreciated.
    >>

    >It depends upon the capacity of your USB drive. I use Puppy Linux on a 1 GB
    >USB drive and also on a 2 GB USB drive for what you are specifying.
    >This leaves plenty of space for data files, in addition to the Linux
    >operating system. Damn Small Linux (50 MB) is even more popular, but it
    >won't recognize my modem.
    >
    >Any of the larger Linux distributions require much more space and are better
    >suited to Hard Disks for that reason.
    >
    >HTH
    >
    >Godzilla

    http://www.directron.com/cmfusbsrvr8ggt.html?&ref=lmcd

    Super fast and plenty big enough.

  4. Re: installing on usb drive

    Godzilla wrote:
    > d.b. cooper wrote:
    >
    >> I have an Acer laptop that will allow me to boot from a USB drive. Is it
    >> possible to install openSuSE on a USB drive, Ideally I'd like to leave my
    >> system as it is, and when I want to boot Linux just change the boot order
    >> in the bios and boot from the USB drive. Any help would be appreciated.
    >>

    > It depends upon the capacity of your USB drive. I use Puppy Linux on a 1 GB
    > USB drive and also on a 2 GB USB drive for what you are specifying.
    > This leaves plenty of space for data files, in addition to the Linux
    > operating system. Damn Small Linux (50 MB) is even more popular, but it
    > won't recognize my modem.

    How about Pendrivelinux?

    http://www.pendrivelinux.com/

+ Reply to Thread