mouse SPEED this decade? - Suse

This is a discussion on mouse SPEED this decade? - Suse ; dear linux, it is 2008. can I set mouse speed yet??!?#$% :O ok, ok but seriously folks... for years and years I have wanted to set mouse VELOCITY. not just acceleration, VELOCITY and acceleration. Has anything changed in this area? ...

  1. mouse SPEED this decade?

    dear linux, it is 2008. can I set mouse speed yet??!?#$% :O

    ok, ok but seriously folks... for years and years I have wanted to set mouse
    VELOCITY.

    not just acceleration, VELOCITY and acceleration.

    Has anything changed in this area? I know about xset. It lets you go beyond what
    the GUI sliders give you, but its still only accel.

  2. Re: mouse SPEED this decade?

    shebble wrote:

    > 11
    > dear linux, it is 2008. can I set mouse speed yet??!?#$% :O

    yes

    > ok, ok but seriously folks... for years and years I have wanted to set
    > mouse VELOCITY.
    >
    > not just acceleration, VELOCITY and acceleration.

    yes

    > Has anything changed in this area? I know about xset. It lets you go
    > beyond what the GUI sliders give you, but its still only accel.

    what desktop you use?
    --
    EOS
    www.photo-memories.be

  3. Re: mouse SPEED this decade?

    EOS wrote:
    > shebble wrote:
    >
    >> 11
    >> dear linux, it is 2008. can I set mouse speed yet??!?#$% :O

    > yes
    >

    >> ok, ok but seriously folks... for years and years I have wanted to set
    >> mouse VELOCITY.
    >>
    >> not just acceleration, VELOCITY and acceleration.

    > yes
    >
    >> Has anything changed in this area? I know about xset. It lets you go
    >> beyond what the GUI sliders give you, but its still only accel.

    > what desktop you use?

    KDE 3.5, opensuse 10.3

  4. Re: mouse SPEED this decade?

    shebble wrote:

    >> what desktop you use?

    > KDE 3.5, opensuse 10.3

    you can start in
    k-control - peripherals - mouse
    --
    EOS
    www.photo-memories.be
    Running KDE 3.5.8 / openSUSE 10.3

  5. Re: mouse SPEED this decade?

    EOS wrote:
    > shebble wrote:
    >
    >>> what desktop you use?

    >> KDE 3.5, opensuse 10.3

    > you can start in
    > k-control - peripherals - mouse

    No that is accel. and threshold. Look closely.

  6. Re: mouse SPEED this decade?

    shebble wrote:

    > No that is accel. and threshold. Look closely.

    can you then explain what's velocity is ;-)
    --
    EOS
    www.photo-memories.be
    Running KDE 3.5.8 / openSUSE 10.3

  7. Re: mouse SPEED this decade?

    EOS wrote:
    > shebble wrote:
    >
    >> No that is accel. and threshold. Look closely.

    > can you then explain what's velocity is ;-)

    He means the way it works in Windows. The faster you move the mouse,
    the greater becomes the acceleration. In Linux, only 2 "steps" are
    available. In Windows, this feature is called "enhanced mouse
    precision" (I think). It's a really good feature and I hope someday
    we'll see it in Linux too. Btw, if you never used it, you simply don't
    know how good it is ;D

  8. Re: mouse SPEED this decade?

    Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
    > EOS wrote:
    >> shebble wrote:
    >>
    >>> No that is accel. and threshold. Look closely.

    >> can you then explain what's velocity is ;-)

    > He means the way it works in Windows.

    yes. Like if you move the mouse 1cm, the pointer should move X pixels. X should
    be a constant that we can change. That would be velocity or speed. In Windows it
    can be changed. We dont have it in XFree/Xorg. I have never understood why.

    We do have acceleration, which makes X increase each step. It is nice to control
    also. Accel. lets you can get across the screen quickly, or move slow and get
    precision. But I really need control of base speed these days. I have high res
    optical mice and they move really fast.

    >The faster you move the mouse,
    > the greater becomes the acceleration. In Linux, only 2 "steps" are
    > available. In Windows, this feature is called "enhanced mouse
    > precision" (I think). It's a really good feature and I hope someday
    > we'll see it in Linux too. Btw, if you never used it, you simply don't
    > know how good it is ;D

    this also would be nice.

  9. Re: mouse SPEED this decade?

    Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
    > Btw, if you never used it, you simply don't know how good it is ;D

    I have used it and I absolutely hate it.

    houghi
    --
    I do not want life insurance.
    I want all people to be genuinely grieving when I die.

    houghi

  10. Re: mouse SPEED this decade?

    shebble wrote:

    > yes. Like if you move the mouse 1cm, the pointer should move X pixels. X
    > should be a constant that we can change. That would be velocity or speed.
    > In Windows it can be changed. We dont have it in XFree/Xorg. I have never
    > understood why.
    >
    > We do have acceleration, which makes X increase each step. It is nice to
    > control also. Accel. lets you can get across the screen quickly, or move
    > slow and get precision. But I really need control of base speed these
    > days. I have high res optical mice and they move really fast.

    now i understand it good.
    and yes, it is not (yet) in a linux OS
    maby, a mail to kde ;-)
    but why you need it like this, (i never used it) ?
    where can you use this feature?
    --
    EOS
    www.photo-memories.be
    Running KDE 3.5.8 / openSUSE 10.3

  11. Re: mouse SPEED this decade?

    houghi wrote:
    > Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
    >> Btw, if you never used it, you simply don't know how good it is ;D

    > I have used it and I absolutely hate it.

    You hate everything in Windows out of general policy

  12. Re: mouse SPEED this decade?

    On Tue, 19 Feb 2008, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:-

    >houghi wrote:
    >> Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
    >>> Btw, if you never used it, you simply don't know how good it is ;D

    >> I have used it and I absolutely hate it.

    >You hate everything in Windows out of general policy

    Ah, but that "feature" didn't originate with Windows, which isn't a
    surprise. I used it once over 15 years ago on a non-PC[0]. I didn't like
    it then, and I still don't like it.

    [0] 16-bit system with a lousy, and chunky, 100dpi mouse. One of the
    many available enhancements for that system was a small desktop
    accessory that allowed the mouse speed to be adjusted so it moved with a
    non-linear velocity. While I was happy for the for the acceleration
    provided, since it no longer needed 6 inches to move across the screen,
    I really hated the variable velocity component. That was until I get a
    much nicer 280dpi mouse.

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit | openSUSE 10.3 32bit | openSUSE 11.0a1

  13. Re: mouse SPEED this decade?

    David Bolt wrote:
    > On Tue, 19 Feb 2008, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:-
    >
    >> houghi wrote:
    >>> I have used it and I absolutely hate it.

    >> You hate everything in Windows out of general policy

    > Ah, but that "feature" didn't originate with Windows, which isn't a
    > surprise. I used it once over 15 years ago on a non-PC[0]. I didn't like
    > it then, and I still don't like it.
    >

    > [0] 16-bit system with a lousy, and chunky, 100dpi mouse. One of the
    > many available enhancements for that system was a small desktop
    > accessory that allowed the mouse speed to be adjusted so it moved with a
    > non-linear velocity. While I was happy for the for the acceleration
    > provided, since it no longer needed 6 inches to move across the screen,
    > I really hated the variable velocity component. That was until I get a
    > much nicer 280dpi mouse.

    However, the Windows implementation of it is quite nice. When you move
    the mouse really slow, you get pixel-perfect precision. You can even
    draw without problem. A quick move and the cursor is on the opposite
    side of the screen. The faster, the quicker. And I don't think it's a
    "I'm used to it" issue, because I'm not used to it. I fire up Windows
    for gaming. But when I do, I find the mouse more fluid and intuitive.
    On Linux, sometimes it doesn't matter how fast you move the mouse, it
    appears to move on the screen at a constant speed. Not a big issue, but
    would be nice to have. And I don't buy into the argument of "I don't
    like it". Well, if you don't like it, don't complain; no one's
    suggesting that you should be forced to use it. So why complain with "I
    don't like it" in the first place? Are you against the inclusion of
    such feature in Linux? Shouldn't we strive to make Linux "better", with
    more choices instead?

  14. Re: mouse SPEED this decade?

    EOS wrote:
    > shebble wrote:
    >
    >> yes. Like if you move the mouse 1cm, the pointer should move X pixels. X
    >> should be a constant that we can change. That would be velocity or speed.
    >> In Windows it can be changed. We dont have it in XFree/Xorg. I have never
    >> understood why.
    >>
    >> We do have acceleration, which makes X increase each step. It is nice to
    >> control also. Accel. lets you can get across the screen quickly, or move
    >> slow and get precision. But I really need control of base speed these
    >> days. I have high res optical mice and they move really fast.

    > now i understand it good.
    > and yes, it is not (yet) in a linux OS
    > maby, a mail to kde ;-)
    > but why you need it like this, (i never used it) ?
    > where can you use this feature?

    hey its gone from Windows now too!! I was just looking at windows xp and its not
    there. It used to be there, honest. argh.

    These high dpi optical mice are just too sensitive for me. I could probably
    detect earthquake with it. I want to slow it down AND adjust accel curve myself.
    I dunno maybe im just a complainer. I wonder if an old mechanical mouse would be
    better for me.

  15. Re: mouse SPEED this decade?

    shebble wrote:
    > [...]
    > hey its gone from Windows now too!! I was just looking at windows xp and
    > its not there. It used to be there, honest. argh.

    It's still there. From my XP SP2 machine:
    http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/6336/xpmousevq7.png

  16. Re: mouse SPEED this decade?

    On Wed, 20 Feb 2008, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:-

    >However, the Windows implementation of it is quite nice. When you move
    >the mouse really slow, you get pixel-perfect precision. You can even
    >draw without problem. A quick move and the cursor is on the opposite
    >side of the screen. The faster, the quicker.

    That's exactly the sort of implementation I decided I didn't like.

    >And I don't think it's a "I'm used to it" issue, because I'm not used
    >to it. I fire up Windows for gaming. But when I do, I find the mouse
    >more fluid and intuitive. On Linux, sometimes it doesn't matter how
    >fast you move the mouse, it appears to move on the screen at a constant
    >speed. Not a big issue, but would be nice to have.

    For some people it would be nice to have. For others, myself included,
    it's going to be a major pain in the rear.

    >And I don't buy into the argument of "I don't like it". Well, if you
    >don't like it, don't complain;

    Why not? That's like saying that if you don't like spinach, don't
    complain when it's added to your meal.

    And if people didn't complain, it would probably get added, and the
    default would be to have it turned on. Just look at the new kickoff
    menu. In my opinion, it's a horrible idea, and looks like it was copied
    from that "Toys-R-Us" suitable-for-small-children style XP menu. First
    thing I do when doing a completely fresh install is to swap back to the
    classic KDE menu.

    Then there's that other annoyance, the single click to open PITA. That's
    another thing I have to disable for each new user I add or else I get
    major complaints.

    >no one's suggesting that you should be forced to use it. So why
    >complain with "I don't like it" in the first place?

    If no-one complains, nobody would know some people don't like it. I
    don't like it, and I've made my opinion known.

    >Are you against the inclusion of such feature in Linux?

    No. I personally couldn't care less whether it was added or not. I'd
    hope that if it is added, it's disabled by default though.

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit | openSUSE 10.3 32bit | openSUSE 11.0a1

  17. Re: mouse SPEED this decade?

    David Bolt wrote:
    > On Wed, 20 Feb 2008, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:-
    >
    >> However, the Windows implementation of it is quite nice. When you move
    >> the mouse really slow, you get pixel-perfect precision. You can even
    >> draw without problem. A quick move and the cursor is on the opposite
    >> side of the screen. The faster, the quicker.

    > That's exactly the sort of implementation I decided I didn't like.

    But have you actually tried it or not? And I don't mean the
    implementation from the stone age. I mean Windows XP.

  18. Re: mouse SPEED this decade?

    Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
    > But have you actually tried it or not? And I don't mean the
    > implementation from the stone age. I mean Windows XP.

    For me: yes and I do not like it and I am talking about the mouse speed
    stuff thing.

    Now can we just say that some people do like it and some don't?

    houghi
    --
    We all came out to Montreux Frank Zappa and the Mothers
    On the Lake Geneva shoreline Were at the best place around

  19. Re: mouse SPEED this decade?

    On Wed, 20 Feb 2008, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:-

    >David Bolt wrote:
    >> On Wed, 20 Feb 2008, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:-
    >>
    >>> However, the Windows implementation of it is quite nice. When you
    >>>move
    >>> the mouse really slow, you get pixel-perfect precision. You can even
    >>> draw without problem. A quick move and the cursor is on the opposite
    >>> side of the screen. The faster, the quicker.

    >> That's exactly the sort of implementation I decided I didn't like.

    >But have you actually tried it or not? And I don't mean the
    >implementation from the stone age. I mean Windows XP.

    Okay, that's a slightly different implementation to my previous use. The
    previous one I used was very user configurable. The XP version isn't any
    where near as configurable. You get to choose if the mouse is fast or
    slow, and whether to have the "enhance pointer precession" on or off.

    Well, to me there doesn't seem to be any difference having it enabled or
    not. The pointer seems to move a slight touch quicker when the mouse
    moves rapidly, but only just. So, after a (very) short test with it
    enabled, I turned it back off and am happy with it disabled.