running opensuse10.3 with OpenBSD: sshd_config,v 1.74 - Suse

This is a discussion on running opensuse10.3 with OpenBSD: sshd_config,v 1.74 - Suse ; i modified the sshd_config file so that i can remotely manage this box but i forgot what lines i need to edit in order to be able to do it. my SecureCRT is configured correctly becuase I can access an ...

  1. running opensuse10.3 with OpenBSD: sshd_config,v 1.74

    i modified the sshd_config file so that i can remotely manage this box
    but i forgot what lines i need to edit in order to be able to do it.

    my SecureCRT is configured correctly becuase I can access an older box
    running RHEL4 running sshd_config v 1.38.
    i have it set to port 22, sshv2

    below is the sshd_config:
    can someone tell me what i am doing wrong?

    opensuse01:/etc/ssh # more sshd_config
    # $OpenBSD: sshd_config,v 1.74 2006/07/19 13:07:10 dtucker Exp $

    # This is the sshd server system-wide configuration file. See
    # sshd_config(5) for more information.

    # This sshd was compiled with PATH=/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin

    # The strategy used for options in the default sshd_config shipped
    with
    # OpenSSH is to specify options with their default value where
    # possible, but leave them commented. Uncommented options change a
    # default value.

    #Port 22
    Protocol 2
    #AddressFamily any
    #ListenAddress 0.0.0.0
    #ListenAddress ::

    # HostKey for protocol version 1
    #HostKey /etc/ssh/ssh_host_key
    # HostKeys for protocol version 2
    #HostKey /etc/ssh/ssh_host_rsa_key
    #HostKey /etc/ssh/ssh_host_dsa_key

    # Lifetime and size of ephemeral version 1 server key
    #KeyRegenerationInterval 1h
    #ServerKeyBits 768

    # Logging
    # obsoletes QuietMode and FascistLogging
    #SyslogFacility AUTH
    #LogLevel INFO

    # Authentication:

    #LoginGraceTime 2m
    PermitRootLogin yes
    #StrictModes yes
    #MaxAuthTries 6

    RSAAuthentication yes
    #PubkeyAuthentication yes
    #AuthorizedKeysFile .ssh/authorized_keys

    # For this to work you will also need host keys in /etc/ssh/
    ssh_known_hosts
    #RhostsRSAAuthentication no
    # similar for protocol version 2
    HostbasedAuthentication no
    # Change to yes if you don't trust ~/.ssh/known_hosts for
    # RhostsRSAAuthentication and HostbasedAuthentication
    #IgnoreUserKnownHosts no
    # Don't read the user's ~/.rhosts and ~/.shosts files
    #IgnoreRhosts yes

    # To disable tunneled clear text passwords, change to no here!
    PasswordAuthentication no
    #PermitEmptyPasswords no

    # Change to no to disable s/key passwords
    #ChallengeResponseAuthentication yes

    # Kerberos options
    #KerberosAuthentication no
    #KerberosOrLocalPasswd yes
    #KerberosTicketCleanup yes
    #KerberosGetAFSToken no

    # GSSAPI options
    #GSSAPIAuthentication no
    #GSSAPICleanupCredentials yes

    # Set this to 'yes' to enable support for the deprecated 'gssapi'
    authentication
    # mechanism to OpenSSH 3.8p1. The newer 'gssapi-with-mic' mechanism is
    included
    # in this release. The use of 'gssapi' is deprecated due to the
    presence of
    # potential man-in-the-middle attacks, which 'gssapi-with-mic' is not
    susceptible to.
    #GSSAPIEnableMITMAttack no

    # Set this to 'yes' to enable PAM authentication, account processing,
    # and session processing. If this is enabled, PAM authentication will
    # be allowed through the ChallengeResponseAuthentication and
    # PasswordAuthentication. Depending on your PAM configuration,
    # PAM authentication via ChallengeResponseAuthentication may bypass
    # the setting of "PermitRootLogin without-password".
    # If you just want the PAM account and session checks to run without
    # PAM authentication, then enable this but set PasswordAuthentication
    # and ChallengeResponseAuthentication to 'no'.
    #UsePAM yes

    #AllowTcpForwarding yes
    #GatewayPorts no
    X11Forwarding yes
    #X11DisplayOffset 10
    #X11UseLocalhost yes
    #PrintMotd yes
    #PrintLastLog yes
    #TCPKeepAlive yes
    #UseLogin no
    #UsePrivilegeSeparation yes
    #PermitUserEnvironment no
    #Compression delayed
    #ClientAliveInterval 0
    #ClientAliveCountMax 3
    #UseDNS yes
    #PidFile /var/run/sshd.pid
    #MaxStartups 10
    #PermitTunnel no

    # no default banner path
    #Banner /some/path

    # override default of no subsystems
    Subsystem sftp /usr/lib/ssh/sftp-server

    # This enables accepting locale enviroment variables LC_* LANG, see
    sshd_config(5).
    AcceptEnv LANG LC_CTYPE LC_NUMERIC LC_TIME LC_COLLATE LC_MONETARY
    LC_MESSAGES
    AcceptEnv LC_PAPER LC_NAME LC_ADDRESS LC_TELEPHONE LC_MEASUREMENT
    AcceptEnv LC_IDENTIFICATION LC_ALL

    # Example of overriding settings on a per-user basis
    #Match User anoncvs
    # X11Forwarding no
    # AllowTcpForwarding no
    # ForceCommand cvs server

    thx

  2. Re: running opensuse10.3 with OpenBSD: sshd_config,v 1.74

    Smoke Dogg wrote:
    > i modified the sshd_config file so that i can remotely manage this box
    > but i forgot what lines i need to edit in order to be able to do it.

    There should have been no need to edit anything.

    > my SecureCRT is configured correctly becuase I can access an older box
    > running RHEL4 running sshd_config v 1.38.
    > i have it set to port 22, sshv2
    >
    > below is the sshd_config:
    > can someone tell me what i am doing wrong?

    Just put back the backup.

    This is what I have. I have removode empty lines and comented lines to
    get it more compact to post. You can start from here and then add,
    delete or change whatever you like.

    root@penne : less /etc/ssh/sshd_config|grep -v ^#|grep .
    Protocol 2
    PasswordAuthentication no
    UsePAM yes
    X11Forwarding yes
    Subsystem sftp /usr/lib/ssh/sftp-server
    AcceptEnv LANG LC_CTYPE LC_NUMERIC LC_TIME LC_COLLATE LC_MONETARY
    LC_MESSAGES
    AcceptEnv LC_PAPER LC_NAME LC_ADDRESS LC_TELEPHONE LC_MEASUREMENT
    AcceptEnv LC_IDENTIFICATION LC_ALL

    Pity you did not say what went wrong. Also no idea what you mean with
    the subject.

    houghi
    --
    > Knock-knock.
    > Who's there?
    > Under the Patriot Act, we don't have to tell you that.

  3. Re: running opensuse10.3 with OpenBSD: sshd_config,v 1.74

    On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 11:15:58 -0800, Smoke Dogg wrote:
    > can someone tell me what i am doing wrong?

    Apologies for asking an obviously dumb question,
    but you did remember to start/restart the service?

    root> /etc/init.d/sshd restart

    Also, openssh on openSUSE includes tcp wrapper support through libwrap,
    so you will need to check that your /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny
    are correctly configured.

    See for further
    information.

    Also, have you configured the openSUSE firewall, if it is
    running, to permit incoming connexions to port 22?

    When you execute the ssh/slogin/scp command from the
    remote host to "this box", what message do you see?

+ Reply to Thread