Don't have gcc and make. - Suse

This is a discussion on Don't have gcc and make. - Suse ; Hi! I wanted to install gcc and make on my SuSE 10.3. Should install through YAST, shouldn't I? I tried - yast -> "program management" (or sth like that, I have a polish version). There a window come out, I've ...

  1. Don't have gcc and make.

    Hi!
    I wanted to install gcc and make on my SuSE 10.3. Should install through
    YAST, shouldn't I?
    I tried - yast -> "program management" (or sth like that, I have a polish
    version).
    There a window come out, I've searched for "gcc", it found about 5 matches.
    I 've installed all of them, however, when I tried to run gcc in console, I
    got a message: bash: gcc - command not found. So I've installed it, but it
    is still not installed?
    Could anyone help me?
    Thanks in advance

    ------
    I include also polish version of my post, I think I can better describe my
    problem in polish...
    ------

    Instaluję: YAST -> Oprogramowanie -> zarządzanie oprogramowaniem.
    Wyskakuje okienko z mozliwoscia przeszukiwania.
    Wpisuję "gcc" - znalazło z pięć pozycji. Daję "Accept", pojawia się
    okienko, że pakiety są instalowane.
    Ale - wpisuję w konsoli "gcc" i otrzymuję: bash: gcc - command not found.

    Nie mam pojęcia, co z tym zrobić dalej. Niby zainstalowało, a gcc nie ma.
    Make - w ogóle nie znajduje. Szukałem na innych forach, znalazłem tylko z
    kilkanaście postów opisujących dokładnie ten sam problem - ale żadnego
    sposobu na rozwiązanie go.
    Z gory dzieki.

  2. Re: Don't have gcc and make.

    [Hipek] wrote:
    > Hi!
    > I wanted to install gcc and make on my SuSE 10.3. Should install through
    > YAST, shouldn't I?
    > I tried - yast -> "program management" (or sth like that, I have a polish
    > version).
    > There a window come out, I've searched for "gcc", it found about 5 matches.
    > I 've installed all of them, however, when I tried to run gcc in console, I
    > got a message: bash: gcc - command not found. So I've installed it, but it
    > is still not installed?
    > Could anyone help me?
    > Thanks in advance

    Look in 'Patterns' for things that say 'development' and install those.

    houghi
    --
    > Knock-knock.
    > Who's there?
    > Under the Patriot Act, we don't have to tell you that.

  3. Re: Don't have gcc and make.

    On Mon, 18 Feb 2008, [Hipek] wrote:-

    >Hi!
    >I wanted to install gcc and make on my SuSE 10.3. Should install through
    >YAST, shouldn't I?
    >I tried - yast -> "program management" (or sth like that, I have a polish
    >version).
    >There a window come out, I've searched for "gcc", it found about 5 matches.

    Only 5? When I do a search, I get 65 packages listed. Do you have the
    main 10.3 OSS repository enabled? If not, add it using

    YaST -> Software Management -> Community Repositories.

    Or

    YaST -> Oprogramowanie -> Repozytoria spo?eczn

    Hopefully, that should be a pretty close representation to Polish[0].
    Apologies if it isn't.

    >I 've installed all of them, however, when I tried to run gcc in console, I
    >got a message: bash: gcc - command not found. So I've installed it, but it
    >is still not installed?
    >Could anyone help me?
    >Thanks in advance

    At a console, enter the command:

    rpm -q gcc

    For 10.3, you should something like this:

    davjam@dav2:~> rpm -q gcc
    gcc-4.2-24

    If you do, gcc is installed. If not, use "su -" to become root and you
    can either enter:

    zypper in gcc

    to install it using zypper, or you can use

    yast -> Oprogramowanie -> Zarz?dzanie oprogramowani
    yast -> Software -> Software Management

    and install it after using search to find it.

    [0] I used

    export LANG="pl_PL.UTF-8"

    to swap my console language Polish. Unfortunately, a combination of
    character rendering and copy and paste, from that console means some
    letters won't even be close :| If you're wanting to see the options in
    English, use either:

    export LANG="en_GB.UTF-8"
    export LANG="en_US.UTF-8"

    to swap the console to either British English, or American English. You
    can swap back to Polish using:

    export LANG="pl_PL.UTF-8"

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit | openSUSE 10.3 32bit | openSUSE 11.0a1