Upgrading to QT 4 - Suse

This is a discussion on Upgrading to QT 4 - Suse ; My Suse Linux system comes with QT3 but want to upgrade to QT4. Do I need to remove QT3 first with YAST and then install QT4? Anyone with experience doing this and developing QT4 applications? Thanks!...

  1. Upgrading to QT 4

    My Suse Linux system comes with QT3 but want to upgrade to QT4. Do I
    need to remove QT3 first with YAST and then install QT4? Anyone with
    experience doing this and developing QT4 applications?

    Thanks!

  2. Re: Upgrading to QT 4

    scott wrote:
    > My Suse Linux system comes with QT3 but want to upgrade to QT4. Do I
    > need to remove QT3 first with YAST and then install QT4? Anyone with
    > experience doing this and developing QT4 applications?
    >
    > Thanks!

    You do not need to uninstall if Yast installs version 4. Smart and
    Kpackage also does updates in a yast complaint way so as to preserve and
    update your local catalog.

    If you want to compile it yourself, you are best to uninstall qt3 I
    think lest dependencies get confused or broken. If said compile fails
    Yast can be used to reinstall whatever version of qt is canon in your
    version of Suse.

  3. Re: Upgrading to QT 4

    scott wrote:
    > My Suse Linux system comes with QT3 but want to upgrade to QT4. Do I
    > need to remove QT3 first with YAST and then install QT4? Anyone with
    > experience doing this and developing QT4 applications?

    What problems did you get when you tried it?

    houghi
    --
    > Knock-knock.
    > Who's there?
    > Under the Patriot Act, we don't have to tell you that.

  4. Re: Upgrading to QT 4

    houghi wrote:
    > scott wrote:
    >> My Suse Linux system comes with QT3 but want to upgrade to QT4. Do I
    >> need to remove QT3 first with YAST and then install QT4? Anyone with
    >> experience doing this and developing QT4 applications?

    > What problems did you get when you tried it?
    >
    > houghi

    Taking the first example out of the book "C++ GUI Programming with
    QT4", which is a very simple "Hello World" type program", I was getting
    compile errors.
    After compiling QT4 without removing QT3 and establishing a local
    environment I was able to do a clean compile of the program. Would
    rather have system where QT4 was standard and done the right way via YAST.

  5. Re: Upgrading to QT 4

    scott wrote:
    > houghi wrote:
    >> scott wrote:
    >>> My Suse Linux system comes with QT3 but want to upgrade to QT4.
    >>> Do I need to remove QT3 first with YAST and then install QT4? Anyone
    >>> with experience doing this and developing QT4 applications?

    >> What problems did you get when you tried it?
    >>
    >> houghi

    > Taking the first example out of the book "C++ GUI Programming with
    > QT4", which is a very simple "Hello World" type program", I was getting
    > compile errors.
    > After compiling QT4 without removing QT3 and establishing a local
    > environment I was able to do a clean compile of the program. Would
    > rather have system where QT4 was standard and done the right way via YAST.

    Yast will not run without Qt3 obviously. You can't remove Qt3; a lot of
    programs need it. A *lot*.

    But you can have Qt4 together with Qt3 so I don't see the problem.

  6. Re: Upgrading to QT 4

    Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
    > scott wrote:
    >> houghi wrote:
    >>>
    >>> What problems did you get when you tried it?
    >>>
    >>> houghi

    >> Taking the first example out of the book "C++ GUI Programming with
    >> QT4", which is a very simple "Hello World" type program", I was
    >> getting compile errors.
    >> After compiling QT4 without removing QT3 and establishing a local
    >> environment I was able to do a clean compile of the program. Would
    >> rather have system where QT4 was standard and done the right way via
    >> YAST.

    > Yast will not run without Qt3 obviously. You can't remove Qt3; a lot of
    > programs need it. A *lot*.
    >
    > But you can have Qt4 together with Qt3 so I don't see the problem.

    Figured that deleting Qt3 would cause problems and that substituting
    Qt4 would not be possible. I've tried adding in the path for Qt4 into
    the .profile script and after logging out and back in found that most
    applications wouldn't start. So my guess is that I have to execute a
    script to set the path each time I want to compile programs using Qt4
    and run an application. Or is there a better way?

    Thanks for the help.

  7. Re: Upgrading to QT 4

    scott wrote:
    > Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
    >> [...]
    >> Yast will not run without Qt3 obviously. You can't remove Qt3; a lot
    >> of programs need it. A *lot*.
    >>
    >> But you can have Qt4 together with Qt3 so I don't see the problem.

    > Figured that deleting Qt3 would cause problems and that substituting
    > Qt4 would not be possible. I've tried adding in the path for Qt4 into
    > the .profile script and after logging out and back in found that most
    > applications wouldn't start. So my guess is that I have to execute a
    > script to set the path each time I want to compile programs using Qt4
    > and run an application. Or is there a better way?

    AFAIK, Qt3 uses the QTDIR environment variable to find 'moc' and
    friends. Qt4 does not. So I hope you'll just have to use absolute
    paths when calling qmake, and qmake should figure out the rest.

  8. Re: Upgrading to QT 4

    Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
    > scott wrote:
    >> Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
    >>> [...]
    >>> Yast will not run without Qt3 obviously. You can't remove Qt3; a lot
    >>> of programs need it. A *lot*.
    >>>
    >>> But you can have Qt4 together with Qt3 so I don't see the problem.

    >> Figured that deleting Qt3 would cause problems and that
    >> substituting Qt4 would not be possible. I've tried adding in the path
    >> for Qt4 into the .profile script and after logging out and back in
    >> found that most applications wouldn't start. So my guess is that I
    >> have to execute a script to set the path each time I want to compile
    >> programs using Qt4 and run an application. Or is there a better way?

    > AFAIK, Qt3 uses the QTDIR environment variable to find 'moc' and
    > friends. Qt4 does not. So I hope you'll just have to use absolute
    > paths when calling qmake, and qmake should figure out the rest.

    We can do that... Thanks!

  9. Re: Upgrading to QT 4

    scott wrote:
    > Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
    >> scott wrote:

    >>> Figured that deleting Qt3 would cause problems and that
    >>> substituting Qt4 would not be possible. I've tried adding in the
    >>> path for Qt4 into the .profile script and after logging out and back
    >>> in found that most applications wouldn't start. So my guess is that
    >>> I have to execute a script to set the path each time I want to
    >>> compile programs using Qt4 and run an application. Or is there a
    >>> better way?

    >> AFAIK, Qt3 uses the QTDIR environment variable to find 'moc' and
    >> friends. Qt4 does not. So I hope you'll just have to use absolute
    >> paths when calling qmake, and qmake should figure out the rest.

    > We can do that... Thanks!

    I have both Qt3 and Qt4 on my system (openSUSE 10.3). To compile Qt3
    programs, you'll find qmake and friends in /usr/lib/qt3/bin/. For Qt4,
    just use qmake without specifying the full path. Works for me, anyway.

  10. Re: Upgrading to QT 4

    Algazm wrote:
    > scott wrote:
    >> Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

    >>> AFAIK, Qt3 uses the QTDIR environment variable to find 'moc' and
    >>> friends. Qt4 does not. So I hope you'll just have to use absolute
    >>> paths when calling qmake, and qmake should figure out the rest.

    >> We can do that... Thanks!

    > I have both Qt3 and Qt4 on my system (openSUSE 10.3). To compile Qt3
    > programs, you'll find qmake and friends in /usr/lib/qt3/bin/. For Qt4,
    > just use qmake without specifying the full path. Works for me, anyway.

    I originally tried qmake without a full path and that didn't work.
    Guess I'll make a little script which specifies the path and be done
    with it.

+ Reply to Thread