AVG - Suse

This is a discussion on AVG - Suse ; I have just d/l AVG 7.1 A/V for Linux and installed it successfully but it isnt showing any ideas...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29

  1. AVG

    I have just d/l AVG 7.1 A/V for Linux and installed it successfully but it
    isnt showing any ideas

  2. Re: AVG

    On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 19:25:49 +0000 in
    1T%tj.4558$os2.285@newsfe3-win.ntli.net "PWB"
    wrote:

    > I have just d/l AVG 7.1 A/V for Linux and installed it successfully but
    > it isnt showing any ideas

    What do you mean, isn't showing? For instance on my box when I'm using
    Gnome it's under Applications -> Utilities -> More Programs - AVG.

    Veering slightly away from the direct subject - how do I "insmod
    dazuko" (as spotted on boot) if I need that to provide "real-time"
    protection - have tried going to the directory it's in as root (/etc/
    sysconfig/dazuko) but get "insmod: error inserting 'dazuko': -1 Invalid
    module format". Also, may be linked, is there any way to get a stamp like
    on AVG for Windows saying that the e-mail's been checked (using
    Evolution)? I appreciate that running viruses is a lot harder on Linux
    than Windows.

    Stephan
    --
    Stephan Bird MChem(Hons) AMRSC
    stephan.j.bird@mad.scientist.comREMOVE

  3. Re: AVG

    PWB wrote:

    > I have just d/l AVG 7.1 A/V for Linux

    Why? Linux isn't Windows. It is not a magnet for viruses like MS products.

    --
    Later,
    Darrell Stec darstec@neo.rr.com

    Webpage Sorcery
    http://webpagesorcery.com
    We Put the Magic in Your Webpages

  4. Re: AVG

    > Why? Linux isn't Windows. It is not a magnet for viruses like MS products.

    Whilst this is a valid point, I use AVG to check that files that I'm
    forwarding on to MS using friends and colleagues do not contain virii
    that may affect them.

  5. Re: AVG

    On Sun, 17 Feb 2008, Stephan Bird wrote:-

    >Also, may be linked, is there any way to get a stamp like
    >on AVG for Windows saying that the e-mail's been checked (using
    >Evolution)?

    Why on earth would you do that? Or don't you know that, like everything
    else in an e-mail, it can be faked[0]? It ranks up there, along with the
    "confidentiality disclaimers" that are basically legal sounding "cover
    your arse" bull****, often gets appended to mails completely
    automatically and have as much legal standing as the paper they're
    delivered using[1].

    [0] Well, more than can be. I've lost count of the number of trojans
    I've received in e-mails where they've also had the "this is certified
    virus-free" crap added.

    [1] do I really need to add anything here?

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit | openSUSE 10.3 32bit | openSUSE 11.0a1

  6. Re: AVG

    Timfy wrote:

    >> Why? Linux isn't Windows. It is not a magnet for viruses like MS
    >> products.
    >>

    > Whilst this is a valid point, I use AVG to check that files that I'm
    > forwarding on to MS using friends and colleagues do not contain virii
    > that may affect them.

    I am of the opinion that if somebody in this day and age is stupid enough to
    still use an operating system fraught with malware they deserve any and all
    infections somebody else is sending them.

    Your approach is contributing to the virus problem in that until MS users
    are so stymied by malware that their computers are useless, they will never
    look for a better solution. Similarly, when gasoline reaches a $100 a
    gallon, it will be good for the world as it will force them to look for
    better solutions or everyone will start walking again.

    --
    Later,
    Darrell Stec darstec@neo.rr.com

    Webpage Sorcery
    http://webpagesorcery.com
    We Put the Magic in Your Webpages

  7. Re: AVG

    On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 17:01:30 -0500, Darrell Stec
    wrote:

    >I am of the opinion that if somebody in this day and age is stupid enough to
    >still use an operating system fraught with malware they deserve any and all
    >infections somebody else is sending them.

    Does that mean that in this piracy tolerant society that we should
    accept Chinese pirated DVDs or that you should get bird flu?

    That's what they are sending our broken economy and broken defense
    system right now, and you deserve everything they are sending you.

    I think you have some fairly flawed logic there, asswipe. You are what
    we all know of as and refer to as a zealot.

  8. Re: AVG

    SoothSayer wrote:

    > On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 17:01:30 -0500, Darrell Stec
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I am of the opinion that if somebody in this day and age is stupid enough
    >>to still use an operating system fraught with malware they deserve any and
    >>all infections somebody else is sending them.

    > Does that mean that in this piracy tolerant society that we should
    > accept Chinese pirated DVDs

    Since most of that is directed toward Microsoft and Bill Gates is the
    biggest and most dishonest pirate in the world, I have no problems with
    Chinese pirated DVDs. As for non MS films, Hollywood need only price their
    products lower.

    Besides your analogy is a poor one.

    > or that you should get bird flu?

    If there is something wrong with what I am doing and I get the Asian bird
    flu then YES I deserve what I get.

    > That's what they are sending our broken economy and broken defense
    > system right now, and you deserve everything they are sending you.

    I've seen statistics that close to 50% of malware comes directly from
    Microsoft. In fact their software IS considered malware in some circles.
    Remember the original Win95? 127 million copies were recalled because the
    original CD had a virus on it. Recently the newer CD for MSN 9 came with 5
    backdoor viruses.

    Forget the Chinese. Worry about what MS is creating. And it is there
    products that open the windows to what you are claiming the Chinese are
    sending.

    Do you work for Microsoft?

    > I think you have some fairly flawed logic there, asswipe. You are what
    > we all know of as and refer to as a zealot.

    You just answered my question. Thank you. By the way, how much does MS pay
    people like you these days? Is it more than a hamburger flipper?

    --
    Later,
    Darrell Stec darstec@neo.rr.com

    Webpage Sorcery
    http://webpagesorcery.com
    We Put the Magic in Your Webpages

  9. Re: AVG

    "Timfy" wrote in message

    >> Why? Linux isn't Windows. It is not a magnet for viruses like MS
    >> products.
    >>

    > Whilst this is a valid point, I use AVG to check that files that I'm
    > forwarding on to MS using friends and colleagues do not contain virii that
    > may affect them.

    and thats the reason i d/l it , but I find it says now I found where it is
    that it says I have no permission to use it to update so where do I get the
    permissions as there is no where I can see to input a password

  10. Re: AVG

    PWB wrote:
    > "Timfy" wrote in message
    >>> Why? Linux isn't Windows. It is not a magnet for viruses like MS
    >>> products.
    >>>

    >> Whilst this is a valid point, I use AVG to check that files that I'm
    >> forwarding on to MS using friends and colleagues do not contain virii that
    >> may affect them.

    > and thats the reason i d/l it , but I find it says now I found where it is
    > that it says I have no permission to use it to update so where do I get the
    > permissions as there is no where I can see to input a password

    Updating is allowed under root by the following command: avgupdate -o
    I am using avg and can test from gui or console mode.

    A couple of useful Console commands:
    avgupdate --help
    avgscan --help

    avgscan home
    avgscan media

  11. Re: AVG

    Darrell Stec wrote:
    > I am of the opinion that if somebody in this day and age is stupid enough to
    > still use an operating system fraught with malware they deserve any and all
    > infections somebody else is sending them.

    So you are sending the people those proxies that keep sending spam mail
    that is now above 90% of all email?

    The time a virus kills all their files is long gone. Now most people
    perhaps do not even know they are having a virus on their PC and
    happlity keep sending spam.

    houghi
    --
    > Knock-knock.
    > Who's there?
    > Under the Patriot Act, we don't have to tell you that.

  12. Re: AVG

    houghi wrote:

    > Darrell Stec wrote:
    >> I am of the opinion that if somebody in this day and age is stupid enough
    >> to still use an operating system fraught with malware they deserve any
    >> and all infections somebody else is sending them.

    > So you are sending the people those proxies that keep sending spam mail
    > that is now above 90% of all email?

    I seriously doubt that, as I do not forward attachments and use plain text
    (no pictures or music either). But should somebody be running Windows and
    sends me Email that still gets through to another person running Windows,
    well that is their own stupidity on both ends. I have zero compassion for
    either of them because if they know me they know my stance on Windows. It
    is their choice to run a virus magnet.

    > The time a virus kills all their files is long gone.

    Not hardly. I just got off the phone with 7 people so far today that called
    for help because of deleted files because of viruses and that was by 2:00
    PM.

    > Now most people
    > perhaps do not even know they are having a virus on their PC and
    > happlity keep sending spam.

    Mostly they notice a huge slowdown with their computer. Normally I get
    about 30 - 35 calls a day and 95% of them turn out to be virus problems.

    --
    Later,
    Darrell Stec darstec@neo.rr.com

    Webpage Sorcery
    http://webpagesorcery.com
    We Put the Magic in Your Webpages

  13. Re: AVG

    Darrell Stec wrote:
    >>> I am of the opinion that if somebody in this day and age is stupid enough
    >>> to still use an operating system fraught with malware they deserve any
    >>> and all infections somebody else is sending them.

    >> So you are sending the people those proxies that keep sending spam mail
    >> that is now above 90% of all email?

    > I seriously doubt that, as I do not forward attachments and use plain text
    > (no pictures or music either). But should somebody be running Windows and
    > sends me Email that still gets through to another person running Windows,
    > well that is their own stupidity on both ends.

    Yrs, it is their stupidity.

    > I have zero compassion for either of them because if they know me they
    > know my stance on Windows. It is their choice to run a virus magnet.

    I agree that you should not have compasion. However what I have an issue
    with is that you do not care wether you send them virusses or not.

    Imagine that I would not care and send virusses to each an every person
    on the planet. If I would follow your mentality, all those people will
    start sending out spam to you. So in a way I am to blame for the spam
    you are now forced to block.

    THAT is why you should not say 'pfft, I don't run Windows, so I do not
    care', because it DOES affect you.

    > Mostly they notice a huge slowdown with their computer. Normally I get
    > about 30 - 35 calls a day and 95% of them turn out to be virus problems.

    So? I am interested in those who do NOT think they have a problem and
    are sending me spam. Or who do NOT call or call much later and all
    because somebody with a Linux machine has send them a virus, which ends
    up sending me spam.

    houghi
    --
    > Knock-knock.
    > Who's there?
    > Under the Patriot Act, we don't have to tell you that.

  14. Re: AVG

    "Peter" wrote in message
    > PWB wrote:
    >> "Timfy" wrote in message
    >>>>

    >>> Whilst this is a valid point, I use AVG to check that files that I'm
    >>> forwarding on to MS using friends and colleagues do not contain virii
    >>> that may affect them.

    >> and thats the reason i d/l it , but I find it says now I found where it
    >> is that it says I have no permission to use it to update so where do I
    >> get the permissions as there is no where I can see to input a password

    > Updating is allowed under root by the following command: avgupdate -o
    > I am using avg and can test from gui or console mode.
    >
    > A couple of useful Console commands:
    > avgupdate --help
    > avgscan --help
    >
    > avgscan home
    > avgscan media

    Thanks but where do I put the password as it doesntgive a window for it.

  15. Re: AVG

    On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 21:31:44 +0000 in
    4Pmuj.965$%W6.28@newsfe2-gui.ntli.net "PWB" wrote:

    > "Peter" wrote in message
    >> Updating is allowed under root by the following command: avgupdate -o I
    >> am using avg and can test from gui or console mode.
    >>
    >> A couple of useful Console commands:
    >> avgupdate --help
    >> avgscan --help
    >>
    >> avgscan home
    >> avgscan media

    > Thanks but where do I put the password as it doesntgive a window for it.

    You will need to log in to a terminal *as* root, as (at least for me)
    typing avgupdate as a normal user gives the error "/usr/bin/avgupdate:
    Permission denied"

    Stephan
    --
    Stephan Bird MChem(Hons) AMRSC
    stephan.j.bird@mad.scientist.comREMOVE
    Currently in Caernarfon, Wales.

  16. Re: AVG

    houghi wrote:

    >>> So you are sending the people those proxies that keep sending spam mail
    >>> that is now above 90% of all email?

    >> I seriously doubt that, as I do not forward attachments and use plain
    >> text
    >> (no pictures or music either). But should somebody be running Windows
    >> and sends me Email that still gets through to another person running
    >> Windows, well that is their own stupidity on both ends.

    > Yrs, it is their stupidity.
    >
    >> I have zero compassion for either of them because if they know me they
    >> know my stance on Windows. It is their choice to run a virus magnet.

    > I agree that you should not have compasion. However what I have an issue
    > with is that you do not care wether you send them virusses or not.
    >
    > Imagine that I would not care and send virusses to each an every person
    > on the planet. If I would follow your mentality, all those people will
    > start sending out spam to you. So in a way I am to blame for the spam
    > you are now forced to block.
    >
    > THAT is why you should not say 'pfft, I don't run Windows, so I do not
    > care', because it DOES affect you.
    >
    >> Mostly they notice a huge slowdown with their computer. Normally I get
    >> about 30 - 35 calls a day and 95% of them turn out to be virus problems.

    > So? I am interested in those who do NOT think they have a problem and
    > are sending me spam. Or who do NOT call or call much later and all
    > because somebody with a Linux machine has send them a virus, which ends
    > up sending me spam.

    And how does someone with Linux transmit a virus unless they are operating a
    mail server? I doubt that is the case with the OP. If one does not
    forward email, uses plain text and no html, and forwards no attachments,
    how do they send them a virus that comes back as spam to you?

    More than likely the person sending you spam because their computer was
    infected did NOT get it from somebody running Linux but rather got it from
    officially packaged MS software. For instance about a year and a half ago
    the CD with MSN 9 that was sent by Microsoft came with five viruses built
    in.

    --
    Later,
    Darrell Stec darstec@neo.rr.com

    Webpage Sorcery
    http://webpagesorcery.com
    We Put the Magic in Your Webpages

  17. Re: AVG

    On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 17:01:30 -0500, Darrell Stec typed this message:

    > Timfy wrote:
    >

    >>> Why? Linux isn't Windows. It is not a magnet for viruses like MS
    >>> products.
    >>>

    >> Whilst this is a valid point, I use AVG to check that files that I'm
    >> forwarding on to MS using friends and colleagues do not contain virii
    >> that may affect them.

    > I am of the opinion that if somebody in this day and age is stupid
    > enough to still use an operating system fraught with malware they
    > deserve any and all infections somebody else is sending them.
    >
    > Your approach is contributing to the virus problem in that until MS
    > users are so stymied by malware that their computers are useless, they
    > will never look for a better solution. Similarly, when gasoline reaches
    > a $100 a gallon, it will be good for the world as it will force them to
    > look for better solutions or everyone will start walking again.

    Flawed assumptions. Linux AVG found malware in some of the .jar class of
    my SuSe 10.1 system:

    Found virus 'VBS:Malware-gen' in file '/home/noi/.java/deployment/cache/
    javapi/v1.0/jar/count.jar-6c3329ad-75eb48ce.zip/VerifierBug.class'

    Of course, while 85-90% of PC still run Windows variant OS it's prudent
    for to run an A-V programs on Windows files on those systems.

    FWIW, AVG for Linux is 1000x better than Clamscan.

  18. Re: AVG

    Darrell Stec wrote:
    > And how does someone with Linux transmit a virus unless they are operating a
    > mail server? I doubt that is the case with the OP.

    I am not talking about the OP. I am not even talking about you. I am
    talking about the atitude.

    houghi
    --
    > Knock-knock.
    > Who's there?
    > Under the Patriot Act, we don't have to tell you that.

  19. Re: AVG

    PWB wrote:
    > I have just d/l AVG 7.1 A/V for Linux and installed it successfully but it
    > isnt showing any ideas

    I use Avast.

    --
    Blattus Slafaly ? 3 7/8

  20. Re: AVG

    PWB wrote:
    > "Peter" wrote in message
    >> PWB wrote:
    >>> "Timfy" wrote in message

    >>> and thats the reason i d/l it , but I find it says now I found where it
    >>> is that it says I have no permission to use it to update so where do I
    >>> get the permissions as there is no where I can see to input a password

    >> Updating is allowed under root by the following command: avgupdate -o
    >> I am using avg and can test from gui or console mode.
    >>
    >> A couple of useful Console commands:
    >> avgupdate --help
    >> avgscan --help
    >>
    >> avgscan home
    >> avgscan media

    > Thanks but where do I put the password as it doesnt give a window for it.

    Command: konsole
    Console box opens (eg xxxx@linux-5tp5:~>)
    Command: su -
    Passwordyou enter your password and you are root)
    (this is my root) linux-5tp5:~ #

    linux-5tp5:~ # avgupdate -0
    linux-5tp5:~ #avgupdate --help

    If you wish to take it further, you may edit your AVG Menu link
    (shortcut) application command from "avggui" to "kdesu avggui" (if you
    are running KDE) and you will always be asked for the root passward or
    just type "kdesu avggui" (without the quotation marks) in a run command
    (right click on desktop, etc) and you will get same result. You could
    also login into the root account directly and use the avggui from there .

    Here is where you can find some more info located on your system:
    /opt/grisoft/avg7/doc/README
    /opt/grisoft/avg7/doc/avg_esl_uma_en_75_8.pdf
    /opt/grisoft/avggui/doc/README

    /opt/grisoft/avg7/doc/README
    [...]
    Update performed by a nonprivileged user
    This feature is available only in AVG for Linux/FreeBSD versions 7.0.12
    and higher!

    The user that is about to be allowed to run the update has to be in a
    group, which is the owner of the '/opt/grisoft/avg7' directory subtree.
    =================================
    The group name is 'avg' by default. You can add a user to this group
    using this command as root:
    # usermod -G group_name login
    The 'login' string stands for the user's login name, 'group_name' stands
    forthe group.
    =================================
    The only difference in running an update by such a user is that the AVG
    Anti-Virus daemons can not be restarted explicitly unless they are
    restarted by root (or after the next restart of the system itself).
    Normal user can not send them a signal nor even restart them within the
    update process. Butthe updated virus database will be loaded by the AVG
    Anti-Virus daemons just before the first scan following the update, as
    mentioned in the previous section.

    Cheers

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast