trying to add openSuse 10.3 to this OS/2 box - Suse

This is a discussion on trying to add openSuse 10.3 to this OS/2 box - Suse ; thanks for the previous guidance getting the CD distro on alt.os.linux.suse -- please note this is being posted to OS/2 and Suse groups. been trying to install openSuse 10.3 on my main box without my success the last few days. ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

  1. trying to add openSuse 10.3 to this OS/2 box

    thanks for the previous guidance getting the CD distro on
    alt.os.linux.suse -- please note this is being posted to OS/2 and Suse
    groups.

    been trying to install openSuse 10.3 on my main box without my success
    the last few days.

    the first attempt pretty much ended when the install routine found too
    many partitions on my HD -- 18 -- and told me it couldn't deal with
    more than 15, apparently because I'm using a SCSI disk.

    so, I eliminated three partitions and started anew. unfortunately, I
    was somewhat inebriated last night, only the first of several bad
    choices.

    basically I ran into trouble trying to choose advanced partitioning
    for the installation.

    to begin with, while I think I understand the Linux syntax for
    designating partitions, whenever I actually encounter it I become
    confused -- which is one reason when I thought I was choosing the last
    1.5 GB partition for swap, I had actually picked my C: partition.

    I just spent an hour this morning returning my HD to something like
    its former state -- here is the output of FDISK (this morning I
    combined last the two partitions I'd created for Suse)

    Name Status Access FS Type MBytes
    Startable : Primary BOOT MANAGER 7
    None C: Logical HPFS 1506
    4 Maint Bootable D: Logical HPFS 800
    3 Maint Bootable E: Logical HPFS 706
    None F: Logical HPFS 1506
    None G: Logical FAT 203
    None H: Logical HPFS 902
    None I: Logical HPFS 1506
    None J: Logical FAT 102
    Warp4 Bootable K: Logical HPFS 800
    None L: Logical HPFS 3004
    None M: Logical HPFS 6314
    None : Logical Type 83 17877

    note there are no primary partitions, don't ask me why -- it hasn't
    really been a problem, except it does seem to irritate FDISK, which
    never fails to complain whenever I exit.

    also -- when the installation sent me into the advanced partitioning
    page, I noticed a few odd things: for one, all my HPFS and FAT
    partitions were not so designated -- instead I think they were called
    "Linux compatability" or something. on the other hand, I think in the
    "Simple" page, it identified FAT as such and HPFS as hpfs/ntfs. I'm
    mostly concerned about the Suse installation 1) keeping its hands to
    itself and 2) giving me HPFS support out of the box.

    finally, I can't seem to find a way to add the partition where I wish
    to install Suse into OS/2's Boot Manager -- can anyone explain why?
    my preference would be to use BM to start Suse, I'm not sure I have
    that option. if that's the case, where should I put Suse's boot
    loader, and how can I be sure that it's going to invoke Boot Manager,
    and not blow it away as it seems to like to do as a rule?

  2. Re: trying to add openSuse 10.3 to this OS/2 box

    On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 15:38:59 UTC, rafe
    wrote:

    > thanks for the previous guidance getting the CD distro on
    > alt.os.linux.suse -- please note this is being posted to OS/2 and Suse
    > groups.
    >
    > been trying to install openSuse 10.3 on my main box without my success
    > the last few days.

    Cutting everything. I just managed to add my OpenSUSE install, here's
    how I did it.

    First of all I used LVM from eCS 2 RC3 install program to create my
    partition structure (circa 9 partitions/volumes), which includes one
    volume for Windows XP (still don't have it, but just in case), two for
    eCS (Italian and English versions), one for Solaris 10 (thanks Sun)
    and another for a Linux flavor: choose OpenSuse, but seems it's not a
    really itty-bitty good idea (seems to lack GCC: I tried to launch
    "make" and received an error! Boh?)

    After installing eCS I installed also Suse: YaST2 broke my Boot
    Manager.

    Seems there's some conflict between eCS's BM and Grub from SUSE's
    standard install, so after installing eCS and BM *and* Suse *and*
    recreating BM (alas!), it's just a matter of restarting SUSE's desktop
    from the install CD and reinstall Grub, this time making it load from
    the SUSE volume. It works nice and clean now.

    Mentore

  3. Re: trying to add openSuse 10.3 to this OS/2 box

    On Feb 17, 10:53 am, mentore.sie...@libero.it (Mentore Siesto) wrote:

    > First of all I used LVM from eCS 2 RC3 install program to create my
    > partition structure (circa 9 partitions/volumes), which includes one
    > volume for Windows XP (still don't have it, but just in case), two for
    > eCS (Italian and English versions), one for Solaris 10 (thanks Sun)
    > and another for a Linux flavor: choose OpenSuse, but seems it's not a
    > really itty-bitty good idea (seems to lack GCC: I tried to launch
    > "make" and received an error! Boh?)

    no LVM here. what confuses me also is that OS/2's and Linux's LVM are
    not the same -- in any case unless it's really necessary, I'd just as
    soon not start up with it.

    just one question: does Suse recognize your HPFS partitions out of the
    box?

    -rafe

  4. Re: trying to add openSuse 10.3 to this OS/2 box

    Sir:

    rafe wrote:
    > On Feb 17, 10:53 am, mentore.sie...@libero.it (Mentore Siesto) wrote:
    >
    >> First of all I used LVM from eCS 2 RC3 install program to create my
    >> partition structure (circa 9 partitions/volumes), which includes one
    >> volume for Windows XP (still don't have it, but just in case), two for
    >> eCS (Italian and English versions), one for Solaris 10 (thanks Sun)
    >> and another for a Linux flavor: choose OpenSuse, but seems it's not a
    >> really itty-bitty good idea (seems to lack GCC: I tried to launch
    >> "make" and received an error! Boh?)

    > no LVM here. what confuses me also is that OS/2's and Linux's LVM are
    > not the same -- in any case unless it's really necessary, I'd just as
    > soon not start up with it.
    >
    > just one question: does Suse recognize your HPFS partitions out of the
    > box?

    It, Suse 10.3, recognized only those volumes that were single partition
    below some magic limit, 1024 cylinders? Since I had only one HPFS
    partition that met that qualification, that was the only one available
    to be mounted (it recognized the partitions of multipartition volumes,
    but of course, not as volumes, which made them unreadable.). So, yes, I
    did nothing to get HPFS recognized. BTW, it will install if there are
    more than 15 partition existing. It offers to ignore the excess. You
    can chose to install the development package and get Gcc.
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  5. Re: trying to add openSuse 10.3 to this OS/2 box

    On 02/17/08 07:38 am, rafe wrote:
    > finally, I can't seem to find a way to add the partition where I wish
    > to install Suse into OS/2's Boot Manager -- can anyone explain why?
    > my preference would be to use BM to start Suse, I'm not sure I have
    > that option. if that's the case, where should I put Suse's boot
    > loader, and how can I be sure that it's going to invoke Boot Manager,
    > and not blow it away as it seems to like to do as a rule?

    Never done Suse but the usual recommended way is to create the
    partitions with the OS/2 fdisk, perhaps as FAT. Add the partition that
    will be the Linux boot partition (/ or /boot depending on disk size) to
    BM then using the advanced install only use the Linux fdisk to change
    the partition type to 82 or 83 depending on whether ext2 or swap.
    Then install the file system under Linux and install. Make sure grub or
    LILO is installed to the Linux boot partition, not the MBR.
    Dave
    ps Mixing fdisks when partitioning is never a good idea due to different
    bugs in them.

  6. Re: trying to add openSuse 10.3 to this OS/2 box

    rafe wrote:

    > thanks for the previous guidance getting the CD distro on
    > alt.os.linux.suse -- please note this is being posted to OS/2 and Suse
    > groups.
    >
    > been trying to install openSuse 10.3 on my main box without my success
    > the last few days.
    >
    > the first attempt pretty much ended when the install routine found too
    > many partitions on my HD -- 18 -- and told me it couldn't deal with
    > more than 15, apparently because I'm using a SCSI disk.
    >
    > so, I eliminated three partitions and started anew. unfortunately, I
    > was somewhat inebriated last night, only the first of several bad
    > choices.

    I installed openSuSE on the same drive as OS/2. It was not difficult. Of
    course I was sober at the time.

    DO NOT PARTITION WITH LINUX. Use either OS/2-LVM (compatibility partitions
    only) or DFSee. You can use DFSee for setting partition types if you like.

    > basically I ran into trouble trying to choose advanced partitioning
    > for the installation.
    >
    > to begin with, while I think I understand the Linux syntax for
    > designating partitions, whenever I actually encounter it I become
    > confused -- which is one reason when I thought I was choosing the last
    > 1.5 GB partition for swap, I had actually picked my C: partition.

    Perhaps you forgot that your OS/2 Boot Manager (which IS a primary
    partition, despite what you have said below) counts as a partition?

    > I just spent an hour this morning returning my HD to something like
    > its former state -- here is the output of FDISK (this morning I
    > combined last the two partitions I'd created for Suse)
    >
    > Name Status Access FS Type MBytes
    > Startable : Primary BOOT MANAGER 7
    > None C: Logical HPFS 1506
    > 4 Maint Bootable D: Logical HPFS 800
    > 3 Maint Bootable E: Logical HPFS 706
    > None F: Logical HPFS 1506
    > None G: Logical FAT 203
    > None H: Logical HPFS 902
    > None I: Logical HPFS 1506
    > None J: Logical FAT 102
    > Warp4 Bootable K: Logical HPFS 800
    > None L: Logical HPFS 3004
    > None M: Logical HPFS 6314
    > None : Logical Type 83 17877
    >
    > note there are no primary partitions, don't ask me why -- it hasn't
    > really been a problem, except it does seem to irritate FDISK, which
    > never fails to complain whenever I exit.

    There is no reason why there MUST be as primary partition. But, as noted,
    Boot Manager is occupying one.

    > also -- when the installation sent me into the advanced partitioning
    > page, I noticed a few odd things: for one, all my HPFS and FAT
    > partitions were not so designated -- instead I think they were called
    > "Linux compatability" or something. on the other hand, I think in the
    > "Simple" page, it identified FAT as such and HPFS as hpfs/ntfs. I'm
    > mostly concerned about the Suse installation 1) keeping its hands to
    > itself and 2) giving me HPFS support out of the box.

    HPFS is recognized out of the box. You can't get at them without first
    mounting them.

    > finally, I can't seem to find a way to add the partition where I wish
    > to install Suse into OS/2's Boot Manager -- can anyone explain why?
    > my preference would be to use BM to start Suse, I'm not sure I have
    > that option. if that's the case, where should I put Suse's boot
    > loader, and how can I be sure that it's going to invoke Boot Manager,
    > and not blow it away as it seems to like to do as a rule?

    Have the SuSE boot loader at /boot. Be carful, because left to its own
    advices, the installation witll try to put it in the MBS. Use OS/2-LVM (or
    DFSee) for making an entry for SuSE in Boot Manager.

    If you stay sober, you can do it. Otherwise, unless you have a designated
    operator, ....?

    --
    Stan Goodman
    Qiryat Tiv'on

  7. Re: trying to add openSuse 10.3 to this OS/2 box

    well, it worked, I suppose I could blame the bottle for last night but
    I'd rather hash a partition than kill a rabbit. thanks for the
    guidance.

    this time I chose to "base selection on Yast recommendation" or
    whatever they call it, and saw that it got it right. I resigned
    myself to letting the bootloader do as it wants, it adds a couple of
    seconds when I'm booting. of course it trashed BM -- though
    resiliently, BM still offered me an opportunity to choose the OS/2
    boot partition when the Suse bootloader pointed me that way.

    I'd have preferred to do all the partitioning under OS/2, however,
    with so many partition, I was up against the limit, & there wasn't
    much choice. so far everything is working just fine -- downloading
    updates at the moment.

  8. Re: trying to add openSuse 10.3 to this OS/2 box

    rafe wrote:
    > well, it worked, I suppose I could blame the bottle for last night but
    > I'd rather hash a partition than kill a rabbit. thanks for the
    > guidance.
    >
    > this time I chose to "base selection on Yast recommendation" or
    > whatever they call it, and saw that it got it right. I resigned
    > myself to letting the bootloader do as it wants, it adds a couple of
    > seconds when I'm booting. of course it trashed BM -- though
    > resiliently, BM still offered me an opportunity to choose the OS/2
    > boot partition when the Suse bootloader pointed me that way.
    >
    > I'd have preferred to do all the partitioning under OS/2, however,
    > with so many partition, I was up against the limit, & there wasn't
    > much choice. so far everything is working just fine -- downloading
    > updates at the moment.

    It's been my experience that if grub bootloader (the default choice in
    Suee) is available it's best to use it. And the Yast partitioning tool
    works really well too.

  9. Re: trying to add openSuse 10.3 to this OS/2 box

    Barnacle Bill the Sailor wrote:
    > rafe wrote:
    >> well, it worked, I suppose I could blame the bottle for last night but
    >> I'd rather hash a partition than kill a rabbit. thanks for the
    >> guidance.
    >>
    >> this time I chose to "base selection on Yast recommendation" or
    >> whatever they call it, and saw that it got it right. I resigned
    >> myself to letting the bootloader do as it wants, it adds a couple of
    >> seconds when I'm booting. of course it trashed BM -- though
    >> resiliently, BM still offered me an opportunity to choose the OS/2
    >> boot partition when the Suse bootloader pointed me that way.
    >>
    >> I'd have preferred to do all the partitioning under OS/2, however,
    >> with so many partition, I was up against the limit, & there wasn't
    >> much choice. so far everything is working just fine -- downloading
    >> updates at the moment.

    > It's been my experience that if grub bootloader (the default choice in
    > Suee) is available it's best to use it. And the Yast partitioning tool
    > works really well too.

    The last time I ran OS2 I used the IBM BM to boot everything from
    doze through warp including linux and the neighbor's piano. That
    was before grub when LiLo was a pretty hard act to follow and half
    the disks reported capabilities their makers didn't even understand.
    BM's still one of the best around though admittedly now slipping
    behind grub in adatpability.

    As for parted used by Yast I prefer linux fdisk to do exactly what
    I want from starting block to ending block.

    BTW, wasn't there a limit of 64 on the number of partitions before
    SATA, or am I just picking up where the OP put the cork back in?

  10. Re: trying to add openSuse 10.3 to this OS/2 box

    well, apparently I spoke too soon, as the Suse bootloader and Boot
    Manager are fighting over my HD. I thought I'd rebooted between both
    successfully since the installation, but maybe I'm misremembering.

    late last night I cheerfully started updating everything through
    Yast. (I also started mucking about with FSTAB, in case that has any
    bearing -- was trying to mount my HPFS C: drive, but since I got
    something wrong, when I rebooted Suse, I got an error.)

    I shut down Suse. on restart, the Suse bootloader offered me the
    (default) choice of BM. on the previous OS/2 shutdown, I had directed
    OS/2 to boot my main OS/2 partition on restart -- but it couldn't find
    anything (unable to boot, or something, was the message). I ctrl-alt-
    del'd, then got to the BM screen, only this time it came up offering
    all the different disk partitions, the way it does after it's been
    trashed. I selected the desired partition, but to my surprise, all of
    the OS/2 partitions it found were dirty, ie as though I'd just pulled
    the plug instead of shutting down properly beforehand.

    this morning I ran a couple of backup programs and decided to test
    things out again. I fixed BM from within OS/2 (chose my boot
    partitions, named them, set the default) and shut down, using setboot
    to restart. after the bios screens -- no Suse bootloader at all -- I
    went straight to Boot Manager.

    so, clearly BM and Suse's bl aren't getting along. I don't mind using
    both -- unfortunately for some reason I can't remember now, I'm unable
    to put the Suse partition onto BM, so I need the Suse bl. I prefer to
    keep BM mostly because it's often convenient to use setboot on OS/2
    shutdown. I'd also prefer not to have to reinstall Suse all over
    again.

    what to do?

  11. Re: trying to add openSuse 10.3 to this OS/2 box

    rafe wrote:

    > well, apparently I spoke too soon, as the Suse bootloader and Boot
    > Manager are fighting over my HD. I thought I'd rebooted between both
    > successfully since the installation, but maybe I'm misremembering.
    >
    > late last night I cheerfully started updating everything through
    > Yast. (I also started mucking about with FSTAB, in case that has any
    > bearing -- was trying to mount my HPFS C: drive, but since I got
    > something wrong, when I rebooted Suse, I got an error.)
    >
    > I shut down Suse. on restart, the Suse bootloader offered me the
    > (default) choice of BM. on the previous OS/2 shutdown, I had directed
    > OS/2 to boot my main OS/2 partition on restart -- but it couldn't find
    > anything (unable to boot, or something, was the message). I ctrl-alt-
    > del'd, then got to the BM screen, only this time it came up offering
    > all the different disk partitions, the way it does after it's been
    > trashed. I selected the desired partition, but to my surprise, all of
    > the OS/2 partitions it found were dirty, ie as though I'd just pulled
    > the plug instead of shutting down properly beforehand.
    >
    > this morning I ran a couple of backup programs and decided to test
    > things out again. I fixed BM from within OS/2 (chose my boot
    > partitions, named them, set the default) and shut down, using setboot
    > to restart. after the bios screens -- no Suse bootloader at all -- I
    > went straight to Boot Manager.
    >
    > so, clearly BM and Suse's bl aren't getting along. I don't mind using
    > both -- unfortunately for some reason I can't remember now, I'm unable
    > to put the Suse partition onto BM, so I need the Suse bl. I prefer to
    > keep BM mostly because it's often convenient to use setboot on OS/2
    > shutdown. I'd also prefer not to have to reinstall Suse all over
    > again.
    >
    > what to do?

    I think you weren't careful about where you wanted SuSE to place its boot
    loader. I hope someone else here is monitoring my comments, but I think you
    should fix your Master Boot Record using DFSee (from its bootable disk),
    install a new Boot Manager using OS/2, and then reinstall SuSE -- being
    careful where you permit it to put the Boot Loader.

    That choice is very near the end of the installation process, before
    anything is committed to hard disk. If you get to the point where it asks
    you to actually begin the installation, and you have not by that point told
    it to put the Boot Manager to HD, do not tell it to go ahead on the off
    chance that it will understand what you have in mind. Use instead the Back
    button and go back to where you are offered a list of permissible locations
    for where to put it. Choose /boot.

    Do not guess the sector number. Instead, use DFSee now to see that -- the
    DFSee display has a column that tells you the partition number for each
    partition on the disk.

    --
    Stan Goodman
    Qiryat Tiv'on

  12. Re: trying to add openSuse 10.3 to this OS/2 box

    In <47b9aa61$0$11821$c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com>, on 02/18/2008
    at 05:57 PM, Stan Goodman said:

    >I think you weren't careful about where you wanted SuSE to place its boot
    >loader. I hope someone else here is monitoring my comments, but I think
    >you should fix your Master Boot Record using DFSee (from its bootable
    >disk), install a new Boot Manager using OS/2, and then reinstall SuSE --
    >being careful where you permit it to put the Boot Loader.

    You don't need to reinstall.

    The choice to install GRUB to /boot is somewhat hidden. It's an expert
    option.

    After installing GRUB to the MBR, you can run YAST and restore the
    original MBR and install GRUB to /boot and more BM from GRUBs list.

    Steven

    Steven Levine MR2/ICE 3.00 beta 11pre #10183

  13. Re: trying to add openSuse 10.3 to this OS/2 box

    On Feb 18, 2:22 pm, Steven Levine wrote:

    > You don't need to reinstall.
    >
    > The choice to install GRUB to /boot is somewhat hidden. It's an expert
    > option.
    >
    > After installing GRUB to the MBR, you can run YAST and restore the
    > original MBR and install GRUB to /boot and more BM from GRUBs list.
    >
    > Steven

    thanks, Steven. pardon a couple more questions, I'm still a bit
    confused.

    since I'm not able to boot Suse at the moment, I guess I can do as you
    suggest by booting the CD and choosing repair installation? then add
    Grub to the MBR, then run Suse from the HD and using Yast again,
    install Grub to /boot?

    it's not much of a defense, perhaps, but one reason I let Suse have
    its way was because Boot Manager can't boot Linux where it is, so I
    need for it to take precedence over BM.

  14. Re: trying to add openSuse 10.3 to this OS/2 box

    On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 16:11:28 -0800 (PST), rafe
    wrote:

    >On Feb 18, 2:22 pm, Steven Levine wrote:
    >
    >> You don't need to reinstall.
    >>
    >> The choice to install GRUB to /boot is somewhat hidden. It's an expert
    >> option.
    >>
    >> After installing GRUB to the MBR, you can run YAST and restore the
    >> original MBR and install GRUB to /boot and more BM from GRUBs list.
    >>
    >> Steven
    >>

    >thanks, Steven. pardon a couple more questions, I'm still a bit
    >confused.
    >
    >since I'm not able to boot Suse at the moment, I guess I can do as you
    >suggest by booting the CD and choosing repair installation? then add
    >Grub to the MBR, then run Suse from the HD and using Yast again,
    >install Grub to /boot?
    >
    >it's not much of a defense, perhaps, but one reason I let Suse have
    >its way was because Boot Manager can't boot Linux where it is, so I
    >need for it to take precedence over BM.

    Try XOSL.

    http://www.ranish.com/part/xosl.htm

  15. Re: trying to add openSuse 10.3 to this OS/2 box

    rafe wrote:
    > well, apparently I spoke too soon, as the Suse bootloader and Boot
    > Manager are fighting over my HD. I thought I'd rebooted between both
    > successfully since the installation, but maybe I'm misremembering.
    >
    > late last night I cheerfully started updating everything through
    > Yast. (I also started mucking about with FSTAB, in case that has any
    > bearing -- was trying to mount my HPFS C: drive, but since I got
    > something wrong, when I rebooted Suse, I got an error.)
    >
    > I shut down Suse. on restart, the Suse bootloader offered me the
    > (default) choice of BM. on the previous OS/2 shutdown, I had directed
    > OS/2 to boot my main OS/2 partition on restart -- but it couldn't find
    > anything (unable to boot, or something, was the message). I ctrl-alt-
    > del'd, then got to the BM screen, only this time it came up offering
    > all the different disk partitions, the way it does after it's been
    > trashed. I selected the desired partition, but to my surprise, all of
    > the OS/2 partitions it found were dirty, ie as though I'd just pulled
    > the plug instead of shutting down properly beforehand.
    >
    > this morning I ran a couple of backup programs and decided to test
    > things out again. I fixed BM from within OS/2 (chose my boot
    > partitions, named them, set the default) and shut down, using setboot
    > to restart. after the bios screens -- no Suse bootloader at all -- I
    > went straight to Boot Manager.
    >
    > so, clearly BM and Suse's bl aren't getting along. I don't mind using
    > both -- unfortunately for some reason I can't remember now, I'm unable
    > to put the Suse partition onto BM, so I need the Suse bl. I prefer to
    > keep BM mostly because it's often convenient to use setboot on OS/2
    > shutdown. I'd also prefer not to have to reinstall Suse all over
    > again.
    >
    > what to do?

    I haven't done OS2 since 4.5 or something but I would cut my losses
    and start all over. Anything else I might add could be obsolete
    and misleading. But even at that level BM kept booting linux on a
    logical partition reliably in spite of then current warnings against
    the practice. At one time I even had BM and Lilo (I think) set up
    to continuously just boot each other like a screen saver, that was a
    bit of look-ma-no-hands. Read up on current info before the next attempt
    though :-)

    Bailing out before I get OS2 nostalgic all over!

  16. Re: trying to add openSuse 10.3 to this OS/2 box

    On Feb 18, 10:40 pm, tinker...@no.net wrote:

    > Bailing out before I get OS2 nostalgic all over!

    hey, you can still buy eCS

    I'm back up all over. stickthat's suggestion for Ranish reminded me
    of Veit Kanngiesser's Vpart, which I used for a long time to boot Suse
    9.0 on my other box. I installed it, which got my Suse bootable --
    went in & reset the bootloader into /boot, CD-booted to OS/2 to fdisk /
    mbr to clear out Vpart, and now I'm all good. thanks all.

  17. Re: trying to add openSuse 10.3 to this OS/2 box

    In , on
    02/18/2008
    at 04:11 PM, rafe said:

    Hi,

    >thanks, Steven. pardon a couple more questions, I'm still a bit
    >confused.

    >since I'm not able to boot Suse at the moment, I guess I can do as you
    >suggest by booting the CD and choosing repair installation? then add
    >Grub to the MBR, then run Suse from the HD and using Yast again, install
    >Grub to /boot?

    Repair install may allow you to install GRUB to /boot.

    Whatever you do you need to make sure that the MBR that is saved is the
    one you want to restore want YAST to restore to the MBR. That said, it
    may not matter since you can always use standard eCS/OS2 tools to write a
    BM compatible MBR once you have GRUB in /boot.

    >it's not much of a defense, perhaps, but one reason I let Suse have its
    >way was because Boot Manager can't boot Linux where it is, so I need for
    >it to take precedence over BM.

    That's actually a pretty good reason to let GRUB boot BM. Since you have
    chosen to use older OS/2 components, you have fewer options.

    Steven

    Steven Levine MR2/ICE 3.00 beta 11pre #10183

  18. Re: trying to add openSuse 10.3 to this OS/2 box

    rafe wrote:
    > On Feb 18, 10:40 pm, tinker...@no.net wrote:
    >
    >> Bailing out before I get OS2 nostalgic all over!

    > hey, you can still buy eCS
    >
    > I'm back up all over. stickthat's suggestion for Ranish reminded me
    > of Veit Kanngiesser's Vpart, which I used for a long time to boot Suse
    > 9.0 on my other box. I installed it, which got my Suse bootable --
    > went in & reset the bootloader into /boot, CD-booted to OS/2 to fdisk /
    > mbr to clear out Vpart, and now I'm all good. thanks all.

    I wished I had given OS2 warp a spin before it hit the dustbin! I guess
    it's legacyware now.

  19. Re: trying to add openSuse 10.3 to this OS/2 box

    Sir:

    Barnacle Bill the Sailor wrote:
    > rafe wrote:
    >> On Feb 18, 10:40 pm, tinker...@no.net wrote:
    >>
    >>> Bailing out before I get OS2 nostalgic all over!

    >> hey, you can still buy eCS
    >>
    >> I'm back up all over. stickthat's suggestion for Ranish reminded me
    >> of Veit Kanngiesser's Vpart, which I used for a long time to boot Suse
    >> 9.0 on my other box. I installed it, which got my Suse bootable --
    >> went in & reset the bootloader into /boot, CD-booted to OS/2 to fdisk /
    >> mbr to clear out Vpart, and now I'm all good. thanks all.
    >>

    > I wished I had given OS2 warp a spin before it hit the dustbin! I guess
    > it's legacyware now.

    You still can buy eCS, an OEM version of the last version of OS/2, plus
    many fixes for newer hardware. Get envious of the Desktop that KDE will
    never duplicate. Sigh, need to cross post to advocacy?
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  20. Re: trying to add openSuse 10.3 to this OS/2 box

    On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 16:02:51 UTC, rafe
    wrote:

    > On Feb 17, 10:53 am, mentore.sie...@libero.it (Mentore Siesto) wrote:
    >
    > > First of all I used LVM from eCS 2 RC3 install program to create my
    > > partition structure (circa 9 partitions/volumes), which includes one
    > > volume for Windows XP (still don't have it, but just in case), two for
    > > eCS (Italian and English versions), one for Solaris 10 (thanks Sun)
    > > and another for a Linux flavor: choose OpenSuse, but seems it's not a
    > > really itty-bitty good idea (seems to lack GCC: I tried to launch
    > > "make" and received an error! Boh?)

    > no LVM here. what confuses me also is that OS/2's and Linux's LVM are
    > not the same -- in any case unless it's really necessary, I'd just as
    > soon not start up with it.

    Yes, there are differences between the two LVM (damn IBM, will they
    ever make something right other than OS/2?). I suggest you to go the
    LVM way, it's way better than using the old fdisk.

    > just one question: does Suse recognize your HPFS partitions out of the
    > box?

    Yes it does. And oh, btw I found why I lack GCC: my Suse distro comes
    from a Linux fan magazine, it's a desktop distro only. Bad news,
    though: what use is a Un*ix without development tools? :-(

    Mentore

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast