trying to add openSuse 10.3 to this OS/2 box - Suse

This is a discussion on trying to add openSuse 10.3 to this OS/2 box - Suse ; William L. Hartzell wrote: > Sir: > > rafe wrote: >> On Feb 17, 10:53 am, mentore.sie...@libero.it (Mentore Siesto) wrote: >> >>> First of all I used LVM from eCS 2 RC3 install program to create my >>> partition structure ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 25 of 25

  1. Re: trying to add openSuse 10.3 to this OS/2 box

    William L. Hartzell wrote:
    > Sir:
    >
    > rafe wrote:
    >> On Feb 17, 10:53 am, mentore.sie...@libero.it (Mentore Siesto) wrote:
    >>
    >>> First of all I used LVM from eCS 2 RC3 install program to create my
    >>> partition structure (circa 9 partitions/volumes), which includes one
    >>> volume for Windows XP (still don't have it, but just in case), two for
    >>> eCS (Italian and English versions), one for Solaris 10 (thanks Sun)
    >>> and another for a Linux flavor: choose OpenSuse, but seems it's not a
    >>> really itty-bitty good idea (seems to lack GCC: I tried to launch
    >>> "make" and received an error! Boh?)

    >> no LVM here. what confuses me also is that OS/2's and Linux's LVM are
    >> not the same -- in any case unless it's really necessary, I'd just as
    >> soon not start up with it.
    >>
    >> just one question: does Suse recognize your HPFS partitions out of the
    >> box?
    >>

    > It, Suse 10.3, recognized only those volumes that were single partition
    > below some magic limit, 1024 cylinders? Since I had only one HPFS
    > partition that met that qualification, that was the only one available
    > to be mounted (it recognized the partitions of multipartition volumes,
    > but of course, not as volumes, which made them unreadable.). So, yes, I
    > did nothing to get HPFS recognized. BTW, it will install if there are
    > more than 15 partition existing. It offers to ignore the excess. You
    > can chose to install the development package and get Gcc.

    How does SUSE or for that matter, any other 'UX do with rather large JFS volumes
    made under OS/2? I set them up as the 4096 block size that's recommended, just
    haven't had the time to try any LINUX distro's yet.
    TTFN!
    -Rich

  2. Re: trying to add openSuse 10.3 to this OS/2 box

    On 03/04/08 12:22 pm, Richard Budd wrote:
    [...]
    > How does SUSE or for that matter, any other 'UX do with rather large JFS
    > volumes made under OS/2? I set them up as the 4096 block size that's
    > recommended, just haven't had the time to try any LINUX distro's yet.
    > TTFN!
    > -Rich

    With Ubuntu I had to set permissions (using chmod) on the JFS volume
    before I could access it as a normal user.
    Dave

  3. Re: trying to add openSuse 10.3 to this OS/2 box

    Sir:

    Richard Budd wrote:
    > William L. Hartzell wrote:
    >> Sir:
    >>
    >> rafe wrote:

    >>> no LVM here. what confuses me also is that OS/2's and Linux's LVM are
    >>> not the same -- in any case unless it's really necessary, I'd just as
    >>> soon not start up with it.
    >>>
    >>> just one question: does Suse recognize your HPFS partitions out of the
    >>> box?
    >>>

    >> It, Suse 10.3, recognized only those volumes that were single partition
    >> below some magic limit, 1024 cylinders? Since I had only one HPFS
    >> partition that met that qualification, that was the only one available
    >> to be mounted (it recognized the partitions of multipartition volumes,
    >> but of course, not as volumes, which made them unreadable.). So, yes, I
    >> did nothing to get HPFS recognized. BTW, it will install if there are
    >> more than 15 partition existing. It offers to ignore the excess. You
    >> can chose to install the development package and get Gcc.

    > How does SUSE or for that matter, any other 'UX do with rather large JFS
    > volumes made under OS/2? I set them up as the 4096 block size that's
    > recommended, just haven't had the time to try any LINUX distro's yet.
    > TTFN!
    > -Rich

    As long as the volume is a single partition, it is as Dave says. Suse
    seems to not understand LVM version 1 multi-partition volumes (or I
    failed to do something that's required).
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  4. Re: trying to add openSuse 10.3 to this OS/2 box

    William L. Hartzell wrote:
    > Sir:
    >
    > Richard Budd wrote:
    >> William L. Hartzell wrote:
    >>> Sir:

    >>> It, Suse 10.3, recognized only those volumes that were single partition
    >>> below some magic limit, 1024 cylinders? Since I had only one HPFS
    >>> partition that met that qualification, that was the only one available
    >>> to be mounted (it recognized the partitions of multipartition volumes,
    >>> but of course, not as volumes, which made them unreadable.). So, yes, I
    >>> did nothing to get HPFS recognized. BTW, it will install if there are
    >>> more than 15 partition existing. It offers to ignore the excess. You
    >>> can chose to install the development package and get Gcc.

    >> How does SUSE or for that matter, any other 'UX do with rather large JFS
    >> volumes made under OS/2? I set them up as the 4096 block size that's
    >> recommended, just haven't had the time to try any LINUX distro's yet.
    >> TTFN!
    >> -Rich

    > As long as the volume is a single partition, it is as Dave says. Suse
    > seems to not understand LVM version 1 multi-partition volumes (or I
    > failed to do something that's required).

    Sounds like I'm all set then as both are single partitions on 1 big drive. Now
    to just get the time to play...
    Cheers!

  5. Re: trying to add openSuse 10.3 to this OS/2 box

    tinkering@no.net wrote:
    > BTW, wasn't there a limit of 64 on the number of partitions before
    > SATA, or am I just picking up where the OP put the cork back in?

    With pure IDE disks (/dev/hd?) there is a limit of 63 partitions,
    as the next "drive" has a "minor" number 64 higher, so you got
    63 minor values "in-between".
    With S-ATA, USB and/or SCSI disks (/dev/sd?) the limit is 15 as here
    the next drive is already at "minor + 16".

    Both for Linux, of course, I wouldn't know what limits apply to
    other operating systems.

    Example from a system with both hd and sb drives:
    brw-rw---- 1 root disk 3, 0 2002-06-09 21:27 /dev/hda
    brw-rw---- 1 root disk 3, 64 2002-06-09 21:27 /dev/hdb
    brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8, 0 1995-04-29 12:33 /dev/sda
    brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8, 16 1995-04-29 12:34 /dev/sdb
    (this is an older system, Pentium III, with no udev, so these
    device files are from the devs package).
    My current system has only sd? devices:
    brw-r----- 1 root disk 8, 0 2008-09-12 12:05 /dev/sda
    brw-r----- 1 root disk 8, 16 2008-10-09 09:52 /dev/sdb
    brw-r----- 1 root disk 8, 32 2008-10-09 09:52 /dev/sdc
    and although the attributes and dates are different, the
    major,minor numbers _in_ udev are the same, 16 apart.

    PS: I assume you know the "partion number" is added TO the minor,
    so /dev/sda1 uses major,minor: 8, 1 (cq 3, 1 for /dev/hda1).
    ** Eef Hartman, Delft University of Technology, dept. SSC/ICT **
    ** e-mail: E.J.M.Hartman@tudelft.nl, fax: +31-15-278 7295 **

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2