    for it to have windows as the first option and not suse s being a newcomer
    at the moment i'm more conversant in windows . TIA

  2. Re: Printer driver

    On 2008-02-16, PWB wrote:
    > I have just made my pc into a dual boot with xp and suse linux, my question
    > is with what application do i use to open my printer driver and do i install
    > it in linux or windows partition

    A printer driver is something you open with an application. And there isn't
    one single place that you can put a driver in, for both Windows and Linux.

    In Windows, install the driver in Start/Settings/Printers.
    In SuSE, you use Yast/Hardware/Printer.

    Just follow instructions, you'll be fine. If you're lucky, your printer is
    allready in the list. Otherwise, come back here.

    > , oops one other question can i set my pc
    > for it to have windows as the first option and not suse s being a newcomer
    > at the moment i'm more conversant in windows . TIA

    Also in Yast.
    Yast/System/Boot loader. Set Windows as default startup choice.

    Douglas Adams

  3. Re: Printer driver

    PWB schrieb:
    > I have just made my pc into a dual boot with xp and suse linux, my question
    > is with what application do i use to open my printer driver and do i install
    > it in linux or windows partition , oops one other question can i set my pc
    > for it to have windows as the first option and not suse s being a newcomer
    > at the moment i'm more conversant in windows . TIA

    if you use grub, look for /boot/grub/menu.lst and you will find an entry
    like "default 0". this will boot the first os in the list, so you have
    to change it according to your entries.
    kr,

    marexel

  4. Re: Printer driver

    On 2008-02-16, Rikishi 42 wrote:

    > On 2008-02-16, PWB wrote:
    >> I have just made my pc into a dual boot with xp and suse linux, my question

    is NOT something... of course.

    Sorry.

    Douglas Adams

  5. Re: Printer driver

    "Rikishi 42" wrote in message
    > On 2008-02-16, PWB wrote:
    >> I have just made my pc into a dual boot with xp and suse linux, my
    >> question
    >> is with what application do i use to open my printer driver and do i
    >> install
    >> it in linux or windows partition

    > A printer driver is something you open with an application. And there
    > isn't
    > one single place that you can put a driver in, for both Windows and Linux.
    >
    > In Windows, install the driver in Start/Settings/Printers.
    > In SuSE, you use Yast/Hardware/Printer.
    >
    > Just follow instructions, you'll be fine. If you're lucky, your printer is
    > allready in the list. Otherwise, come back here.
    >

    >> , oops one other question can i set my pc
    >> for it to have windows as the first option and not suse s being a
    >> newcomer
    >> at the moment i'm more conversant in windows . TIA

    > Also in Yast.
    > Yast/System/Boot loader. Set Windows as default startup choice.
    >

    > --
    > There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying.
    > The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
    > Douglas Adams

    Thanks the printer isnt showing unfortunatly in SUSE , So It looks like I'll
    need to install it , where is the search please to find the path
    Yast/System/Boot loader only I cant seem to see it, I'll get the hang soon I
    sure ;-)

  6. Re: Printer driver

    "marexel" wrote in message
    > PWB schrieb:
    >> I have just made my pc into a dual boot with xp and suse linux, my
    >> question is with what application do i use to open my printer driver and
    >> do i install it in linux or windows partition , oops one other question
    >> can i set my pc for it to have windows as the first option and not suse s
    >> being a newcomer at the moment i'm more conversant in windows . TIA

    > if you use grub, look for /boot/grub/menu.lst and you will find an entry
    > like "default 0". this will boot the first os in the list, so you have to
    > change it according to your entries.
    > kr,
    >
    > marexel

    I have grub but I wouldnt know how you edit it sorry (ah well its back to
    the drawing board ;-)

  7. Re: Printer driver

    On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 02:18:13 +0000 in
    FPMtj.980$Ef1.165@newsfe6-win.ntli.net "PWB"
    wrote:

    > "marexel" wrote in message
    >> PWB schrieb:
    >>> I have just made my pc into a dual boot with xp and suse linux, my
    >>> question is with what application do i use to open my printer driver
    >>> and do i install it in linux or windows partition , oops one other
    >>> question can i set my pc for it to have windows as the first option
    >>> and not suse s being a newcomer at the moment i'm more conversant in
    >>> windows . TIA

    >> if you use grub, look for /boot/grub/menu.lst and you will find an
    >> entry like "default 0". this will boot the first os in the list, so you
    >> have to change it according to your entries.
    >> kr,

    > I have grub but I wouldnt know how you edit it sorry (ah well its back
    > to the drawing board ;-)

    If you prefer a GUI, try YaST (with root privileges) -> System ->
    BootLoader -> Section Management, then highlight the required system to
    boot as default, then click Set as Default (should see a tick) -> Finish,
    and you're done. Don't forget to shutdown properly afterwards though.

    Stephan
    --
    Stephan Bird MChem(Hons) AMRSC
    stephan.j.bird@mad.scientist.comREMOVE

  8. Re: Printer driver

    Stephan Bird wrote:
    > If you prefer a GUI, try YaST (with root privileges) -> System ->
    > BootLoader -> Section Management, then highlight the required system to
    > boot as default, then click Set as Default (should see a tick) -> Finish,
    > and you're done. Don't forget to shutdown properly afterwards though.

    If you NOT like GUI, try yast as well. ;-)

    houghi
    --
    If God doesn't destroy Hollywood Boulevard, he owes Sodom and
    Gomorrah an apology.

  9. Re: Printer driver

    On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 15:50:36 +0100 in slrnfrgids.s5e.houghi@penne.houghi
    houghi wrote:

    > Stephan Bird wrote:
    >> If you prefer a GUI, try YaST (with root privileges) -> System ->
    >> BootLoader -> Section Management, then highlight the required system to
    >> boot as default, then click Set as Default (should see a tick) ->
    >> Finish, and you're done. Don't forget to shutdown properly afterwards
    >> though.

    > If you NOT like GUI, try yast as well. ;-)
    >
    > houghi

    Point taken, maybe I should have said "not fiddling about with command
    line arguments" or similar, instead (I've found that using stuff like
    TVWM yast is much quicker, even taking into account the last of graphic
    overhead).

    Stephan
    --
    Stephan Bird MChem(Hons) AMRSC
    stephan.j.bird@mad.scientist.comREMOVE
    Currently in Caernarfon, Wales.

  10. Re: Printer driver

    On 2008-02-17, PWB wrote:

    >> In SuSE, you use Yast/Hardware/Printer.
    >>
    >> Just follow instructions, you'll be fine. If you're lucky, your printer is
    >> allready in the list. Otherwise, come back here.

    > Thanks the printer isnt showing unfortunatly in SUSE , So It looks like I'll
    > need to install it , where is the search please to find the path
    > Yast/System/Boot loader only I cant seem to see it, I'll get the hang soon I
    > sure ;-)

    Why don't you start with telling us what printer you have, and how it's
    connected to your computer? (USB, centronics, network, maybe even serial)

    Douglas Adams

  11. Re: Printer driver

    On 2008-02-17, PWB wrote:

    >> if you use grub, look for /boot/grub/menu.lst and you will find an entry
    >> like "default 0". this will boot the first os in the list, so you have to
    >> change it according to your entries.

    > I have grub but I wouldnt know how you edit it sorry (ah well its back to
    > the drawing board ;-)

    I gave you the path to follow to edit grub:
    Yast/System Boot Manager.

    Douglas Adams

  12. Re: Printer driver

    On 2008-02-17 02:32, PWB wrote:

    > Thanks the printer isnt showing unfortunatly in SUSE , So It looks like I'll
    > need to install it , where is the search please to find the path
    > Yast/System/Boot loader only I cant seem to see it, I'll get the hang soon I
    > sure ;-)

    Yast/System/Boot is NOT a path, it's a menu tree.

    Open the menu (where windows has it's START)
    in the search, type yast.
    When you have it open (root password needed) ,
    go to security and users, open sudo, add yourself
    and add your id, ALL , click NO Password , and type ALL
    in the other fields, then you never have to enter root password
    again when using yast.

    Then follow the info you got, it's very very simple stuff, maybe
    time for you to start reading instructions, something I noticed
    old windows users just ignore to often.

    If you will have help with your printer, it may help if you speak out
    and tell vendor/model, and every time you ask for help, also say
    the suse version, for example opensuse 10.3 , things are a bit different.

    Remember this is stuff under heavy development, not a standing still OS,
    where only new restrictions is added.

    /bb

  13. Re: Printer driver

    birre writes:

    >On 2008-02-17 02:32, PWB wrote:

    >> Thanks the printer isnt showing unfortunatly in SUSE , So It looks like I'll
    >> need to install it , where is the search please to find the path
    >> Yast/System/Boot loader only I cant seem to see it, I'll get the hang soon I
    >> sure ;-)
    >>

    >Yast/System/Boot is NOT a path, it's a menu tree.

    >Open the menu (where windows has it's START)
    >in the search, type yast.
    >When you have it open (root password needed) ,
    >go to security and users, open sudo, add yourself
    >and add your id, ALL , click NO Password , and type ALL
    >in the other fields, then you never have to enter root password
    >again when using yast.

    Personally I think this is a bad idea. This means that anyone who breaks
    into your system as you immediately also has root access. Breaking in as a
    user is usually much simpler than breaking in as root-- the system is
    designed to protect root, much better than the user. But this means that
    the weakest link gets you in. In know that if you break in as a user, it is
    easier to break into root from the inside but this makes it rediculously
    easy. It is a terrible idea.

    >Then follow the info you got, it's very very simple stuff, maybe
    >time for you to start reading instructions, something I noticed
    >old windows users just ignore to often.

    >If you will have help with your printer, it may help if you speak out
    >and tell vendor/model, and every time you ask for help, also say
    >the suse version, for example opensuse 10.3 , things are a bit different.

    And you have been of no help whatsoever.
    Anyway, the OP needs to tell us what his printer is first, and whether it
    is parallel, usb, serial, network, ESP,...

    >Remember this is stuff under heavy development, not a standing still OS,
    >where only new restrictions is added.

    >/bb

+ Reply to Thread