Re: Virtualisation. - Suse

This is a discussion on Re: Virtualisation. - Suse ; On 2008-02-16, sebas22 wrote: > On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 22:53:14 +0200, Nikos Chantziaras > wrote: > >>You can also boot an already installed Windows from the real hard disk >>without re-installing Windows. > > Is this feature available for ...

  1. Re: Virtualisation.

    On 2008-02-16, sebas22 wrote:
    > On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 22:53:14 +0200, Nikos Chantziaras
    > wrote:
    >
    >>You can also boot an already installed Windows from the real hard disk
    >>without re-installing Windows.

    > Is this feature available for VirtualBox either ? I didn't find
    > anything like that in the doc. How do you do that ?
    >
    > For what I've seen, it's necessary to install the guest OS from
    > scratch into a virtual disk.
    >
    > I would like to take advantage of my already installed win OS, if
    > possible

    I don't know if VirtualBox can do it but VMware can:

    http://www.vmware.com/products/converter/

    Never tried it myself though.

    Vahis
    Remodeling my site to train new things:
    http://waxborg.servepics.com
    --
    "The only thing more expensive than training is the lack of it"
    Henry Ford

  2. Re: Virtualisation.

    On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 14:15:20 GMT, Vahis
    wrote:

    >>>You can also boot an already installed Windows from the real hard disk
    >>>without re-installing Windows.

    >> Is this feature available for VirtualBox either ? I didn't find
    >> anything like that in the doc. How do you do that ?
    >>

    >I don't know if VirtualBox can do it but VMware can:
    >
    >http://www.vmware.com/products/converter/

    Mmh, in that case we are speaking of importing an existing
    installation into the virtual drive, virtualbox can do it too :
    http://virtualbox.org/wiki/Migrate_Windows

    I had undertood that it was possible to use the VM to boot an OS
    physically installed elsewhere, but I probably was misunderstanding
    the statement (and in fact, it seems quite difficult to do so, thus
    why I was surprised)

    In that case, it isn't of a great interest for me, since a guest
    system in a VM has not to be as complete as a primary one, since the
    most of what I need is already in the host system. For exemple, I dual
    boot with XP, but the guest in the VM is not XP but w2k, good enough
    for what I need.

    --
    Regards,
    Sebas