SLES10 / Reiserfs / recomanded FS - Suse

This is a discussion on SLES10 / Reiserfs / recomanded FS - Suse ; Hy, I have two questions: 1) Is ReiserFS supported in SLES10 and stable ( a couple of weeks ago I red a not about Reiser and Novell). 2) What is the recomanded (fast) Filesystem for SLES10/ Linux if I have ...

  1. SLES10 / Reiserfs / recomanded FS

    Hy,
    I have two questions:

    1) Is ReiserFS supported in SLES10 and stable ( a couple of weeks ago
    I red a not about Reiser and Novell).
    2) What is the recomanded (fast) Filesystem for SLES10/ Linux if I
    have mix auf large (VMWARE Disk Images) and small files.

    regards
    TAB

  2. Re: SLES10 / Reiserfs / recomanded FS

    tbasien wrote:
    > Hy,
    > I have two questions:
    >
    > 1) Is ReiserFS supported in SLES10 and stable ( a couple of weeks ago
    > I red a not about Reiser and Novell).

    Yes. It is completely supported in SLES10 and it's still the
    default filesystem in SLES10.

    > 2) What is the recomanded (fast) Filesystem for SLES10/ Linux if I
    > have mix auf large (VMWARE Disk Images) and small files.

    I would think that you could choose reiserfs or ext3 and be
    happy.

  3. Re: SLES10 / Reiserfs / recomanded FS

    As a word of caution to those considering using Reiser of XFS file
    systems, it is not a good idea to use Reiser or XFS file systems on
    consumer pc hardware, for the reasons outlined at

    QUOTE

    The practical upshot of this is that if you use XFS or ReiserFS, and you
    are on crappy PC-class hardware, you ***MUST*** have a UPS, and use a
    serial/USB cable, so that system can do a graceful shutdown when the
    UPS's batteries are exhausted.

    UNQUOTE

  4. Re: SLES10 / Reiserfs / recomanded FS

    J G Miller wrote:

    > As a word of caution to those considering using Reiser of XFS file
    > systems, it is not a good idea to use Reiser or XFS file systems on
    > consumer pc hardware, for the reasons outlined at
    >

    > QUOTE
    >
    > The practical upshot of this is that if you use XFS or ReiserFS, and you
    > are on crappy PC-class hardware, you ***MUST*** have a UPS, and use a
    > serial/USB cable, so that system can do a graceful shutdown when the
    > UPS's batteries are exhausted.
    >
    > UNQUOTE

    Some of that information is old. If on SUSE (and others) you can
    enable full journaling on reiserfs (realize that few filesystems
    that support full data journaling actually enable it though). So,
    YMMV with regards to the speed tradeoff that full data journaling
    has vs. just ordered journaling (which is what ext3 and reiserfs
    will default to).

    Btw... the article referenced actually isn't even speaking of
    ordered journaling but WAY back to a time when reiserfs only
    did meta data journaling.... article is old (2004).

+ Reply to Thread