Adjusting default process priority of mysql/lighttpd user - Suse

This is a discussion on Adjusting default process priority of mysql/lighttpd user - Suse ; In /etc/security/limits.conf, I've put these lines: lighttpd - priority 5 mysql - priority 5 hoping to have mysql (running as user "mysql") and the about 50 PHP processes (running as the "lighttpd" user) start with a priority of 5 instead ...

  1. Adjusting default process priority of mysql/lighttpd user

    In /etc/security/limits.conf, I've put these lines:

    lighttpd - priority 5
    mysql - priority 5

    hoping to have mysql (running as user "mysql") and the about 50 PHP
    processes (running as the "lighttpd" user) start with a priority of 5
    instead of 0, helping increase the performance of some other processes
    that are more "real-time" oriented than serving dynamic pages with PHP
    and mysql.

    Doesn't work though and I wonder what would be a good way to achieve
    what I want.

  2. Re: Adjusting default process priority of mysql/lighttpd user

    On 2008-02-16 09:57, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
    > In /etc/security/limits.conf, I've put these lines:
    >
    > lighttpd - priority 5
    > mysql - priority 5
    >
    > hoping to have mysql (running as user "mysql") and the about 50 PHP
    > processes (running as the "lighttpd" user) start with a priority of 5
    > instead of 0, helping increase the performance of some other processes
    > that are more "real-time" oriented than serving dynamic pages with PHP
    > and mysql.
    >
    > Doesn't work though and I wonder what would be a good way to achieve
    > what I want.

    # renice 5 $(cat /var/lib/mysql/mysqld.pid)

    /bb

  3. Re: Adjusting default process priority of mysql/lighttpd user

    birre wrote:
    > On 2008-02-16 09:57, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
    >> In /etc/security/limits.conf, I've put these lines:
    >>
    >> lighttpd - priority 5
    >> mysql - priority 5
    >>
    >> hoping to have mysql (running as user "mysql") and the about 50 PHP
    >> processes (running as the "lighttpd" user) start with a priority of 5
    >> instead of 0, helping increase the performance of some other processes
    >> that are more "real-time" oriented than serving dynamic pages with PHP
    >> and mysql.
    >>
    >> Doesn't work though and I wonder what would be a good way to achieve
    >> what I want.

    > # renice 5 $(cat /var/lib/mysql/mysqld.pid)

    Of course I know that. The problem is that *new* processes start with
    0. Not so much mysql, since it only spawns one process, but lighttpd,
    which spawns new PHP processes as needed.

+ Reply to Thread