LAN Help needed - Suse

This is a discussion on LAN Help needed - Suse ; Well, its' been a long road but I finally have a LAN working at home. AS I have only just begun to utilize this capability I know I have much to learn. However, I read a lot and I've got ...

  1. LAN Help needed

    Well, its' been a long road but I finally have a LAN working at home. AS I
    have only just begun to utilize this capability I know I have much to
    learn. However, I read a lot and I've got lots of time to fiddle. Since
    both computers are sitting side by side it's much easier to work out
    problems.

    So far I've manage to download a color image of wiring diagrams and with a
    handy-dandy tool I bought at Home DepotĀ® I've made my own ethernet cables
    including a x-over cable between computers. As I already had my first
    ethernet card (eth0) configured with ADSL & DHCP (External zone)I just
    added a second card for the lan (eth1). I assigned it a permanent IP
    (192.168.0.1), enabled masquerading and IP forwarding (internal zone). On
    the second computer I assigned the ethernet card (eth0) an address of
    192.168.0.2, a gateway address of 192.168.0.1 and after a bit of @#$%!!!
    around, I used the DNS address of my ISP in the DNS entry.. That worked.
    So I pinged between the two and that was good. Next I pointed my browser
    on the internal machine to the IP address of my external machine and
    voila', I was looking at my Apache web page.... I pointed to an external
    (Internet) address and I was surfing the web... Also, I put the IP of my
    internal machine into the address bar of konqueror (192.168.0.2) and I get
    the Apache web page of that machine...

    So, I finally had my lan working. Stage two... File sharing and remote
    control. As I just had received my March issue of Linux Journal I thought
    I would try out the article by Marcel Gagne about remote desktop control.

    I installed both krfb (KDE Remote Frame Buffer) and krdc (KDE Remote Desktop
    Control) on both machines. I issued an invitation from my main box and
    used the information in the dialog on my internal machine (krdc) to connect
    to my main machine. I am able to control the desktop this way. When I try
    to do it in the other direction by issuing an invitation on the internal
    machine and using krdc on the main box the main box fails to connect to the
    internal machine !!! What might be causing this ???

    After I get this sorted out I want to be able to share folders between the
    two boxes. I tried to use klisa but I am not having any luck. It wont
    start. I get this:

    /usr/sbin/lisa
    NetManager:repare: bind (TCP) failed, errno: 98

    How do I configure lisa to run on this machine so I can share folders over
    my lan ?? Any pointers or links to relevant HOWTO's (prefereably SuSE
    HOWTO) or personal experience will be appreciated. Also, is this the best
    way to share files since I do use KDE ? What about NFS or SMB ?? Are they
    relevant here ??

    As I said earlier, I am a LAN newbie. There will be numerous other
    questions from me regarding different aspects of a LAN environment in the
    comming days/weeks so I am looking forward to working with this group to
    take the next steps to becoming a Linux Guru... After a bit of LAN
    homework I think I'll finally be about half way there. Also started to
    read/use a book on C++ and I guess I'll start doing some programming as
    well. The little bit of BASIC programming I've done in the past just
    doesn't cut it I suppose....

    P.S. Thank you again for any assistance on my way to GURUness... LOL :-)

    At least now I can take control of a few friends boxes remotely and fix
    there Linux problems from the comfort of home.

    There's no place like home..
    There's no place like home..
    We're not in Kansas any more ToDo !

    (Note# It's been a long day of hacking/reading/hacking/reading so I'll
    probably not get back to this thread until tommorrow here on the West
    Coast..L.A.)

    Thanks again.

  2. Re: LAN Help needed

    --------------------------------------------------snip------------------------------

    > As I said earlier, I am a LAN newbie. There will be numerous other
    > questions from me regarding different aspects of a LAN environment in the
    > comming days/weeks so I am looking forward to working with this group to
    > take the next steps to becoming a Linux Guru... After a bit of LAN
    > homework I think I'll finally be about half way there. Also started to
    > read/use a book on C++ and I guess I'll start doing some programming as
    > well. The little bit of BASIC programming I've done in the past just
    > doesn't cut it I suppose....
    >
    > P.S. Thank you again for any assistance on my way to GURUness... LOL
    > :-)

    -------------------------------------------snip--------------------------------------

    What a difference a day or so has made. I've now got remote desktop control
    working in both directions. Also got NFS working now. Copied a 210 MB
    file from one box to the other in under 1 minute !! Love it. Now, after a
    few more tweaks, I'll start some networked applications running...

    This (LAN-networking) is going to be rewarding after having tried so many
    times in the past. Never give up. VPN is now possible but I'll first do
    some other LAN experiments/learning.

    Happy, happy.

    P.S. Learning a few things about firewalls as well as that is a major part
    of getting the aforementioned programs working (RDC & NFS).

    ;-)

  3. Re: LAN Help needed

    On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 02:05:22 +0000, Michael Soibelman wrote:

    snip------------------------------

    >> As I said earlier, I am a LAN newbie. There will be numerous other
    >> questions from me regarding different aspects of a LAN environment in
    >> the comming days/weeks so I am looking forward to working with this
    >> group to take the next steps to becoming a Linux Guru... After a bit
    >> of LAN homework I think I'll finally be about half way there. Also
    >> started to read/use a book on C++ and I guess I'll start doing some
    >> programming as well. The little bit of BASIC programming I've done in
    >> the past just doesn't cut it I suppose....
    >>
    >> P.S. Thank you again for any assistance on my way to GURUness... LOL
    >> :-)

    snip--------------------------------------

    > What a difference a day or so has made. I've now got remote desktop
    > control working in both directions. Also got NFS working now. Copied a
    > 210 MB file from one box to the other in under 1 minute !! Love it.
    > Now, after a few more tweaks, I'll start some networked applications
    > running...
    >
    > This (LAN-networking) is going to be rewarding after having tried so
    > many times in the past. Never give up. VPN is now possible but I'll
    > first do some other LAN experiments/learning.
    >
    > Happy, happy.
    >

    > P.S. Learning a few things about firewalls as well as that is a major
    > part of getting the aforementioned programs working (RDC & NFS).
    >

    > ;-)

    If you think NFS is good wait till you discover automount!

    regards,
    Frank Ranner

+ Reply to Thread