Update problem - Suse

This is a discussion on Update problem - Suse ; Something seems to have happened when I wasn't looking. I'm running 10.3. Yast won't do updates or access any of the normal repositories. Yast is set to look at "update.opensuse.org". I get no response from it. Ping says that it ...

  1. Update problem

    Something seems to have happened when I wasn't looking.
    I'm running 10.3. Yast won't do updates or access any
    of the normal repositories.

    Yast is set to look at "update.opensuse.org". I get
    no response from it. Ping says that it can't find any
    such site.

    When I go to the openSuSE site and click on the update
    site for 10.3, the browser just hangs.

    Anyone have anything similar? Or have a clue?

    I have one machine still running 10.2. It updates with no
    problems at all.

    --
    --- Paul J. Gans

  2. Re: Update problem

    Paul J Gans wrote:

    > Something seems to have happened when I wasn't looking.
    > I'm running 10.3. Yast won't do updates or access any
    > of the normal repositories.
    >
    > Yast is set to look at "update.opensuse.org". I get
    > no response from it. Ping says that it can't find any
    > such site.
    >
    > When I go to the openSuSE site and click on the update
    > site for 10.3, the browser just hangs.
    >
    > Anyone have anything similar? Or have a clue?
    >
    > I have one machine still running 10.2. It updates with no
    > problems at all.

    Seems they are having problems.....again. At least here in Los Angeles.
    Seems to have been occurring since sometime yesterday, sporadically.

  3. Re: Update problem

    Paul J Gans wrote:

    > Something seems to have happened when I wasn't looking.
    > I'm running 10.3. Yast won't do updates or access any
    > of the normal repositories.
    >
    > Yast is set to look at "update.opensuse.org". I get
    > no response from it. Ping says that it can't find any
    > such site.
    >
    > When I go to the openSuSE site and click on the update
    > site for 10.3, the browser just hangs.
    >
    > Anyone have anything similar? Or have a clue?
    >
    > I have one machine still running 10.2. It updates with no
    > problems at all.

    I'm having the same problem here in Washington State. This just occured
    after I updated my kernel to 2.6.18.8-0.9-bigsmp from 2.6.18.8-0.8-bigsmp.
    About an hour ago.
    --
    Russ
    Registered Linux user #441463

  4. Re: Update problem

    russbucket wrote:
    >Paul J Gans wrote:

    >> Something seems to have happened when I wasn't looking.
    >> I'm running 10.3. Yast won't do updates or access any
    >> of the normal repositories.
    >>
    >> Yast is set to look at "update.opensuse.org". I get
    >> no response from it. Ping says that it can't find any
    >> such site.
    >>
    >> When I go to the openSuSE site and click on the update
    >> site for 10.3, the browser just hangs.
    >>
    >> Anyone have anything similar? Or have a clue?
    >>
    >> I have one machine still running 10.2. It updates with no
    >> problems at all.
    >>

    >I'm having the same problem here in Washington State. This just occured
    >after I updated my kernel to 2.6.18.8-0.9-bigsmp from 2.6.18.8-0.8-bigsmp.
    >About an hour ago.

    Thanks to both you and Michael Soibelman. Their main web site
    is working. It would be nice if they posted a message...

    At least I know that it probably isn't me.

    Thanks again.

    --
    --- Paul J. Gans

  5. Re: Update problem

    Paul J Gans wrote:

    > russbucket wrote:
    >>Paul J Gans wrote:

    >>> Something seems to have happened when I wasn't looking.
    >>> I'm running 10.3. Yast won't do updates or access any
    >>> of the normal repositories.
    >>>
    >>> Yast is set to look at "update.opensuse.org". I get
    >>> no response from it. Ping says that it can't find any
    >>> such site.
    >>>
    >>> When I go to the openSuSE site and click on the update
    >>> site for 10.3, the browser just hangs.
    >>>
    >>> Anyone have anything similar? Or have a clue?
    >>>
    >>> I have one machine still running 10.2. It updates with no
    >>> problems at all.
    >>>

    >>I'm having the same problem here in Washington State. This just occured
    >>after I updated my kernel to 2.6.18.8-0.9-bigsmp from 2.6.18.8-0.8-bigsmp.
    >>About an hour ago.

    > Thanks to both you and Michael Soibelman. Their main web site
    > is working. It would be nice if they posted a message...
    >
    > At least I know that it probably isn't me.
    >
    > Thanks again.

    Found out from the mailing list the redirector is down.
    --
    Russ
    Registered Linux user #441463

  6. Re: Update problem

    Paul J Gans wrote:
    > Something seems to have happened when I wasn't looking.
    > I'm running 10.3. Yast won't do updates or access any
    > of the normal repositories.
    >
    > Yast is set to look at "update.opensuse.org". I get
    > no response from it. Ping says that it can't find any
    > such site.

    I had that problem yesterday, but since about 10 hours it's fixed.

  7. Re: Update problem

    On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 17:31:55 -0800 russbucket
    wrote:

    > I'm having the same problem here in Washington State.

    Same in Sydney, Australia.

  8. Re: Update problem

    Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
    > Paul J Gans wrote:
    >> Something seems to have happened when I wasn't looking.
    >> I'm running 10.3. Yast won't do updates or access any
    >> of the normal repositories.
    >>
    >> Yast is set to look at "update.opensuse.org". I get
    >> no response from it. Ping says that it can't find any
    >> such site.

    > I had that problem yesterday, but since about 10 hours it's fixed.

    Whoops, seems it's down again. I hope not another RAID failure! :P

  9. Re: Update problem

    Paul J Gans wrote:
    > Yast is set to look at "update.opensuse.org". I get
    > no response from it. Ping says that it can't find any
    > such site.

    Ping is an extremely lousy tool to do anything, exept to see if ping is
    responding to ping. It only means something when it is gives you an
    answer.

    If it doesn't it doesn't mean anything, especialy if you are not the
    maintainer of the server.

    It does not show you how fast a connection is, because ithas lower
    priority very often
    It does not tell you if a machine is up, because it can be blocked
    almost everywhere along the way
    It does not tell you if e.g. the web service answers, because it does
    not reach that port

    So how to get to what you want? You cut out the middle man and directly
    telnet the port you try to reach:

    houghi@penne : telnet update.opensuse.org 80
    telnet: update.opensuse.org: Name or service not known
    update.opensuse.org: Unknown host

    Starting there it is much easier to find out what might be the problem
    and if the problem is on your side or the other side.

    houghi
    --

    You are standing at the end of a road before a small brick building.
    Around you is a forest. A small stream flows out of the building and

  10. Re: Update problem

    Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
    >Paul J Gans wrote:
    >> Something seems to have happened when I wasn't looking.
    >> I'm running 10.3. Yast won't do updates or access any
    >> of the normal repositories.
    >>
    >> Yast is set to look at "update.opensuse.org". I get
    >> no response from it. Ping says that it can't find any
    >> such site.

    >I had that problem yesterday, but since about 10 hours it's fixed.

    Yup. I had no problems an hour or so ago.

    --
    --- Paul J. Gans

+ Reply to Thread