10.0 to 10.3 looses wireless card - Suse

This is a discussion on 10.0 to 10.3 looses wireless card - Suse ; Hi I've upgraded a Dell Latitude from 10.0 to 10.3. After upgrading the system no longer recognises my Belkin PCMCIA wireless card. Going into Yast -> Network devices I can see an entry for name="Wireless Network Card" IP Address="Not configured" ...

  1. 10.0 to 10.3 looses wireless card

    Hi

    I've upgraded a Dell Latitude from 10.0 to 10.3. After upgrading the
    system no longer recognises my Belkin PCMCIA wireless card. Going into
    Yast -> Network devices I can see an entry for name="Wireless
    Network Card" IP Address="Not configured" with the message "Wireless
    Network Card (not connected) BusId: 0000:03:00.0 Unable to configure
    network card becuse kernel device is not present". All the buttons are
    greyed out so I can't edit the entry or delete it.

    The belkin uses the RT2500 drivers and lsmod shows that these modules
    are loaded. I've used YAST software upgrade in pattern mode and
    upgraded everything to the latest level and I've shutdown the machine,
    pulled the card, rebooted when YAST only sees the ethernet interface,
    shutdown, re-inserted the card with no sucess. Has anyone seen this
    before.

    Regards

  2. Re: 10.0 to 10.3 looses wireless card

    > The belkin uses the RT2500 drivers and lsmod shows that these modules
    > are loaded. I've used YAST software upgrade in pattern mode and
    > upgraded everything to the latest level and I've shutdown the machine,
    > pulled the card, rebooted when YAST only sees the ethernet interface,
    > shutdown, re-inserted the card with no sucess. Has anyone seen this
    > before.

    Yes, I īve seen this before On my Acer Notebook with two NICīs, one
    Atheros WLAN and a Realtek Ethernetcard. If I remember it right, it
    was a problem with the modules. It took me quite a lot of trial and
    error, loading wifi and searching the atheros website. I installed the
    right modules, but the system used others, like 8139 module for the
    ethernet card. I changed this manually to the 8139too module and it
    worked. The Atheros WLAN card is now used as AMBIT Microsystems AR2413
    and it works. So, you have to try other modules, maybe the network-
    manager can do the job for you. Else you have to load and unload
    modules manually, until you hit the right one. I found it much easier
    when I changed to system 10.3 but even now I have some of the
    configuration-buttons in the yast setup mask greyed.

    Regards

    Andreas

  3. Re: 10.0 to 10.3 looses wireless card

    Roger wrote:

    > The belkin uses the RT2500 drivers and lsmod shows that these
    > modules are loaded.

    There are three different drivers for the RT2500.
    - the original rt2500-Driver from RaLink
    - the enhanced rt2500-Driver (called legacy) from Serialmonkey
    - the new rt2x00-Driver for all ralink cards (which contains a
    module rt2500pci) from Serialmonkey

    The last one is part of Suse 10.3. If you find rt2x* in lsmod
    then you have this one. If it works, it's better than the old
    ones ... but it is still beta.

    You probably had the legacy driver in 10.0 (not from suse).

    Wilhelm

  4. Re: 10.0 to 10.3 looses wireless card

    On 16 Feb, 13:53, Wilhelm Spickermann 20.unbenutz...@spamgourmet.com> wrote:
    > Roger wrote:
    > > The belkin uses the RT2500 drivers and lsmod shows that these
    > > modules are loaded.

    > There are three different drivers for the RT2500.
    > - the original rt2500-Driver from RaLink
    > - the enhanced rt2500-Driver (called legacy) from Serialmonkey
    > - the new rt2x00-Driver for all ralink cards (which contains a
    > module rt2500pci) from Serialmonkey
    >
    > The last one is part of Suse 10.3. If you find rt2x* in lsmod
    > then you have this one. If it works, it's better than the old
    > ones ... but it is still beta.

    Finally got the card working, but only at the expense of a clean
    install rather than an upgrade. However, under 10.0 the wifi would
    always
    connect to the access point two rooms away, now it's a game of "now
    you
    see it, now you don't". I hope that this is down to the beta status of
    the
    rt2x00 drivers.

    Regards

+ Reply to Thread