Virtualisation. - Suse

This is a discussion on Virtualisation. - Suse ; I'm using OpenSUSE 10.3 and Windows XP in dualboot because I need to use two Windows programs that doesn't run with Wine. Because I get tired of rebooting every time, I would like to try virtualisation. What is the best ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 40

  1. Virtualisation.

    I'm using OpenSUSE 10.3 and Windows XP in dualboot because I need to
    use two Windows programs that doesn't run with Wine. Because I get
    tired of rebooting every time, I would like to try virtualisation.
    What is the best approach, XEN, virtual box or something else? I don't
    have any experience with virtualisation yet.
    What is the best place to read more information about the con's and
    pro's?

  2. Re: Virtualisation.

    teuniz@gmail.com wrote:
    > I'm using OpenSUSE 10.3 and Windows XP in dualboot because I need to
    > use two Windows programs that doesn't run with Wine. Because I get
    > tired of rebooting every time, I would like to try virtualisation.
    > What is the best approach, XEN, virtual box or something else? I don't
    > have any experience with virtualisation yet.

    VMWare or Parallels. They will run a program that will emulate a
    computer. This means that you can 'boot' that computer. It also means
    you need to install Windows on it and the program. As an extra, you will
    be able to connect to the machine or from the machine over a (virtual?)
    network to your machine and also to the rest of the world, of you want
    to.

    > What is the best place to read more information about the con's and
    > pro's?

    No idea. Just try them both out and see what happens. I believe Xen is
    only for another Linux instalation. Could be that I am wrong.

    houghi
    --
    You are about to enter another dimension, a dimension not only of
    sight and sound but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land of

  3. Re: Virtualisation.

    On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 00:03:58 -0800, teuniz wrote:

    > I'm using OpenSUSE 10.3 and Windows XP in dualboot because I need to
    > use two Windows programs that doesn't run with Wine. Because I get
    > tired of rebooting every time, I would like to try virtualisation.
    > What is the best approach, XEN, virtual box or something else? I don't
    > have any experience with virtualisation yet.
    > What is the best place to read more information about the con's and
    > pro's?

    I use VirtualBox - lots to read here:
    http://www.virtualbox.org/

    The installation is straight-forward, and it seems to run very smoothly.
    You will need an original Windows installation disk, which you install
    once VirtualBox is running.

    Cheers

    Paul

  4. Re: Virtualisation.

    houghi wrote:

    > teuniz@gmail.com wrote:
    >> I'm using OpenSUSE 10.3 and Windows XP in dualboot because I need to
    >> use two Windows programs that doesn't run with Wine. Because I get
    >> tired of rebooting every time, I would like to try virtualisation.
    >> What is the best approach, XEN, virtual box or something else?

    OpenSuSE comes with a xen paravirtualized kernel. So xen seems to be the
    natural choice here. Quite simple to set up, too, together with the
    nice documentation that comes with the package and the virt-manager
    GUI.

    > I believe Xen is
    > only for another Linux instalation. Could be that I am wrong.

    You are ;-)
    Windows XP runs nicely as a Xen virtual machine provided that the
    hardware supports it (Intel VT or AMD-V).

    GŁnther

  5. Re: Virtualisation.

    houghi wrote:
    > teuniz@gmail.com wrote:
    >> I'm using OpenSUSE 10.3 and Windows XP in dualboot because I need to
    >> use two Windows programs that doesn't run with Wine. Because I get
    >> tired of rebooting every time, I would like to try virtualisation.
    >> What is the best approach, XEN, virtual box or something else? I don't
    >> have any experience with virtualisation yet.

    > VMWare or Parallels. They will run a program that will emulate a
    > computer. This means that you can 'boot' that computer. It also means
    > you need to install Windows on it and the program.

    You can also boot an already installed Windows from the real hard disk
    without re-installing Windows.

  6. Re: Virtualisation.

    I am a developer and I need to access MSSQL server from Tomcat running
    on SUSE 10.3. I also need to test pages under IE. I've managed to do
    it with VirtualBOX, all on single PC. If anyone is interesting I will
    describe the details and post a network setup script.

    DG

  7. Re: Virtualisation.

    Drazen Gemic wrote:

    This is not a flame. This is advice on how to get better help and keep
    this newsgroup clean
    Short story: Please read http://www.safalra.com/special/googlegroupsreply/

    Long story:
    Google unfortunately decided not to use the standards of quoting on
    Usenet. There are several solutions to this problem. The best is to use a
    newsreader. For Windows there is e.g. FreeAgent and for Linux there is
    Pan, Knode or slrn, among others.

    Just point your newsreader to your providers Usenet server. If they do not
    have a Usenetserver, look up a payserver, like http://giganews.com or a
    free server like news.sunsite.dk (registration required)

    Now what if you are not at home all the time and that is your reason to
    select google? Glad you asked.
    If you have a fixed connection, you can use a dyndns server to make a
    connection to your home linux machine over ssl and use anything that is
    on your home computer.
    e.g. ssh home.example.com and then run slrn. GUI interfaces are possible
    as well on any OS.
    If you are unable to keep a connection up, you can register at
    http://www.rootshell.be and then connect to there and use slrn on that
    machine. slrn is textbased and might be scary at first. As Usenet is
    text anyway, you will very fast learn how to use it and configure it.

    Only if all else fails and you have no option in using Usnet in any other
    way, including waiting till you get home, you can use Google. You can
    still quote correctly as described on the following page:

    Understand that many people already filter out google postings. So best
    look for an alternative. Usenet is not WWW. If you want WWW, look up
    a webforum. This is not a webforum.

    I sympathize with your problems, and am more than willing to help you
    solve them. To do so you should follow the correct quoting principles
    and good Netiquette explained in this FAQ available at;
    http://www.plainfaqs.org/linux/

    Until then I and many other regulars who could give you good advice
    won't do so. So in the interest of solving your problems, quote correctly
    and ask Google to reinstate the correct way of quoting.

    Remember: this was not a flame, this was helping you to get the best response
    and help possible.

    houghi
    --
    > Beware of he who would deny you access to information, <
    > for in his heart he dreams himself your master. <
    > Commissioner Pravin Lal: "U.N. Declaration of Rights" <

  8. Re: Virtualisation.

    Thanks for all the replies. I decided to give VirtualBox a try.
    It's in the OpenSUSE community repo's so installation was easy.
    I installed windows XP in this box and I have to say, it works very
    nice and stable.
    I should have tried this much earlier, it saves me lot's of time.

    Teuniz

  9. Re: Virtualisation.

    teuniz@gmail.com wrote:
    > Thanks for all the replies. I decided to give VirtualBox a try.

    1) Please quote something or clearly state that you did not quote
    anything
    2) http://tinyurl.com/yw4g7v

    houghi
    --
    > Beware of he who would deny you access to information, <
    > for in his heart he dreams himself your master. <
    > Commissioner Pravin Lal: "U.N. Declaration of Rights" <

  10. Re: Virtualisation.

    In fact I much prefer Google interface to a newsreader. If you are
    using newsreader you have to keep he list of all groups of particular
    server, even though you are participating in only couple of them. In
    order to keep track on long threads you have to keep a number of old
    articles, too.

    In fact I worked 4 years as news admin, and I must admit that I
    consider USENET as a relict from old days of Internet. I think that
    modern web interfaces made it obsolete and useless. New users prefer
    web interface, many even don't know what the USENET is, which means
    that one can expect much more participants that way.

    There is certain "busybody" attitude which is frequent among USENET
    people, which I particularly dislike. So, it does not bother me at all
    that Google posts are not carried out by some news servers. In fact I
    believe it is a good thing. As far as I am concerned, USENET is ready
    to be abandoned and forgotten, just like Archie, Gopher and others

    DG

  11. Re: Virtualisation.

    On Feb 15, 11:09 am, teu...@gmail.com wrote:
    > Thanks for all the replies. I decided to give VirtualBox a try.
    > It's in the OpenSUSE community repo's so installation was easy.
    > I installed windows XP in this box and I have to say, it works very
    > nice and stable.
    > I should have tried this much earlier, it saves me lot's of time.

    A network setup for certain scenarios might be a little tricky with
    VirtualBox, but it should not discourage you

    DG

  12. Re: Virtualisation.

    On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 15:01:56 -0800, Drazen Gemic wrote:

    > As far as I am concerned, USENET is ready to be abandoned and
    > forgotten, just like Archie, Gopher and others

    From

    QUOTE

    Freenews December 1997

    The Imminent Death of Usenet (Film at 11)

    For over a decade [since 1987 that is], people have been predicting the
    imminent demise of Usenet. In fact, this was so prevalent that it became
    something of an in-joke among the hip and net-savvy.

    UNQUOTE

  13. Re: Virtualisation.

    Drazen Gemic wrote:
    > In fact I much prefer Google interface to a newsreader. If you are
    > using newsreader you have to keep he list of all groups of particular
    > server, even though you are participating in only couple of them. In
    > order to keep track on long threads you have to keep a number of old
    > articles, too.
    >
    > In fact I worked 4 years as news admin, and I must admit that I
    > consider USENET as a relict from old days of Internet. I think that
    > modern web interfaces made it obsolete and useless. New users prefer
    > web interface, many even don't know what the USENET is, which means
    > that one can expect much more participants that way.
    >
    > There is certain "busybody" attitude which is frequent among USENET
    > people, which I particularly dislike. So, it does not bother me at all
    > that Google posts are not carried out by some news servers. In fact I
    > believe it is a good thing. As far as I am concerned, USENET is ready
    > to be abandoned and forgotten, just like Archie, Gopher and others

    All of the above is no excuse to ignore netiquette :P If you don't like
    Usenet, don't use it. If you use it, follow netiquette

  14. Re: Virtualisation.

    Drazen Gemic wrote:
    > In fact I much prefer Google interface to a newsreader.

    Good. Yet it still is Usenet, so use the Netiquette of the group you are
    posting in.

    > If you are
    > using newsreader you have to keep he list of all groups of particular
    > server, even though you are participating in only couple of them. In
    > order to keep track on long threads you have to keep a number of old
    > articles, too.

    Yes and the problem with that is ...

    > In fact I worked 4 years as news admin, and I must admit that I
    > consider USENET as a relict from old days of Internet.

    Yes, just like paper. That is why we no all have a paperless office.

    > I think that modern web interfaces made it obsolete and useless.

    For an ex-usnet admin, you seem to be confusing forums and Usenet. _You_
    still use it, together with all the (perhaps for you old fashined)
    rules. My guess is that you are either talking bull****, or the reason
    you are not a Usenet admin anymore is because you did a lousy job,
    because you did not grasp the concept.

    A Newsmaster who disrespects the basic rules of Usenet has never been a
    Newsmaster, no matter what his paycheck told him.

    Also it is basicaly the Google interface that has raped the Usenet web
    interface. I clearly remember Dejanews.com and how it used to be. Then
    laterit went downhill, the moment Google started to change things.

    > New users prefer web interface, many even don't know what the USENET
    > is, which means that one can expect much more participants that way.

    No, they will hopefully move away from Usenet and move to

    > There is certain "busybody" attitude which is frequent among USENET
    > people, which I particularly dislike.

    Then do not go to Usenet. Go to Forums. There are many forums about
    openSUSE as well.

    > So, it does not bother me at all that Google posts are not carried out
    > by some news servers.

    You can not even understand what I wrote. Neither do you grasp how
    Usenet works. Yep: either a lousy news admin or never were one.

    > In fact I believe it is a good thing. As far as I am concerned, USENET
    > is ready to be abandoned and forgotten, just like Archie, Gopher and
    > others

    Then, by all means, abandone it. What are you still doing here? You are
    still using it and you seem to like to use it. Because all you are doing
    here is bothering the people who do like it.

    houghi
    --

    You are standing at the end of a road before a small brick building.
    Around you is a forest. A small stream flows out of the building and

  15. Re: Virtualisation.

    On Feb 16, 11:48 am, houghi wrote:
    > My guess is that you are either talking bull****, or the reason
    > you are not a Usenet admin anymore is because you did a lousy job,
    > because you did not grasp the concept.

    I am not News Admin any more because I have started my on business.

    > > There is certain "busybody" attitude which is frequent among USENET
    > > people, which I particularly dislike.

    > Then do not go to Usenet. Go to Forums. There are many forums about
    > openSUSE as well.

    I am not on USENET, I am on Google. I don't care where the Google
    collects messages from.
    that's their problem, not mine. There are many Google groups with no
    corresponding USENET groups.
    Google IS NOT USENET, never been since the Deja News days. I have
    created an account
    and agreed to follow GOOGLE POLICY.

    > You can not even understand what I wrote. Neither do you grasp how
    > Usenet works. Yep: either a lousy news admin or never were one.

    I don't care any more how USENET works, I am on Google, as I said. If
    you think that I am
    violating Google policy, report me. Or consider moving to ISP that
    does not
    carry Google feeds.

    DG

  16. Re: Virtualisation.

    * Drazen Gemic (Sat, 16 Feb 2008 04:03:47 -0800 (PST))
    > On Feb 16, 11:48 am, houghi wrote:
    > > My guess is that you are either talking bull****, or the reason
    > > you are not a Usenet admin anymore is because you did a lousy job,
    > > because you did not grasp the concept.

    > I am not News Admin any more because I have started my on business.

    You've never been a News Admin in the last 40+ years...

    > > > There is certain "busybody" attitude which is frequent among
    > > > USENET people, which I particularly dislike.

    > > Then do not go to Usenet. Go to Forums. There are many forums
    > > about openSUSE as well.

    > I am not on USENET, I am on Google.

    Reminds me of the lusers who say: "I don't use email, I use
    Hotmail...". Holy simple-mindedness...

    Thorsten

  17. Re: Virtualisation.

    On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 22:53:14 +0200, Nikos Chantziaras
    wrote:

    >You can also boot an already installed Windows from the real hard disk
    >without re-installing Windows.

    Is this feature available for VirtualBox either ? I didn't find
    anything like that in the doc. How do you do that ?

    For what I've seen, it's necessary to install the guest OS from
    scratch into a virtual disk.

    I would like to take advantage of my already installed win OS, if
    possible

    --
    Regards,
    Sebas

  18. Re: Virtualisation.

    In Thorsten Kampe:

    [Snip...]

    > Holy simple-mindedness...

    Pathetic, isn't it? Probably thinks Nigerian spam is da bomb, too.

  19. Re: Virtualisation.

    Harold Stevens wrote:
    > In Thorsten Kampe:
    >
    > [Snip...]
    >
    >> Holy simple-mindedness...

    > Pathetic, isn't it? Probably thinks Nigerian spam is da bomb, too.

    His new 'company' is probably finding 5 people who send 1USD to the
    first on the list.

    houghi
    --

    You are standing at the end of a road before a small brick building.
    Around you is a forest. A small stream flows out of the building and
    down a gully.

  20. Re: Virtualisation.

    houghi wrote:

    > Harold Stevens wrote:
    >> In Thorsten Kampe:
    >>
    >> [Snip...]
    >>
    >>> Holy simple-mindedness...

    >> Pathetic, isn't it? Probably thinks Nigerian spam is da bomb, too.

    > His new 'company' is probably finding 5 people who send 1USD to the
    > first on the list.
    >
    > houghi

    And he is one of the pigeons. The real scam, however can work but he is not
    smart enough to know how.

    --
    Later,
    Darrell Stec darstec@neo.rr.com