Virtualisation. - Suse

This is a discussion on Virtualisation. - Suse ; I was News admin long enogh to learn that: - anyone can open group on Google, without seeking approval - Google group does not have to fit USENET hierarchy That does not even remotely resemble USENET policy, and those groups ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 40 of 40

Thread: Virtualisation.

  1. Re: Virtualisation.

    I was News admin long enogh to learn that:

    - anyone can open group on Google, without seeking approval

    - Google group does not have to fit USENET hierarchy

    That does not even remotely resemble USENET policy, and those groups
    are not USENET groups

    - on Google one can own a group, and owner can set policies. It is
    different from moderation, because true USENET group can change
    moderator

    - posting policies on Google are much relaxed regarding spam,
    crossposting regardless of is the group shared with USENET or not

    In fact, if the Google users and USENET users are posting at the same
    group, USENET users are at disadvantage because different rules apply.
    If I was still News admin, I wouldn't carry Google feeds because of
    that. Since I am not, I don't care.

    Check Google "Terms of Service" if in doubt. Far as I am concerned
    Google is very different from USENET.

  2. Re: Virtualisation.

    * Drazen Gemic (Sat, 16 Feb 2008 12:16:26 -0800 (PST))
    > I was News admin long enogh to learn that:
    >
    > - anyone can open group on Google, without seeking approval
    >
    > - Google group does not have to fit USENET hierarchy
    >
    > That does not even remotely resemble USENET policy, and those groups
    > are not USENET groups
    >
    > - on Google one can own a group, and owner can set policies. It is
    > different from moderation, because true USENET group can change
    > moderator
    >
    > - posting policies on Google are much relaxed regarding spam,
    > crossposting regardless of is the group shared with USENET or not
    >
    > In fact, if the Google users and USENET users are posting at the same
    > group, USENET users are at disadvantage because different rules apply.
    > If I was still News admin, I wouldn't carry Google feeds because of
    > that. Since I am not, I don't care.
    >
    > Check Google "Terms of Service" if in doubt. Far as I am concerned
    > Google is very different from USENET.


    You are not "on Google". You are in alt.os.linux.suse. This is a
    newsgroup and you are participating in Usenet. Is that so hard to
    understand?!

    Thorsten

  3. Re: Virtualisation.

    On 2008-02-16, Drazen Gemic wrote:

    > I am not on USENET, I am on Google. I don't care where the Google
    > collects messages from.


    Then you don't understand the difference between the content and the
    interface. And you refuse to understand it when someone explains.

    As someone allready pointed out: you might as well say you don't care about
    email because you use hotmail. Which you probably do.

    Someone *that* ignorent can never have been a server admin, news or other.




    You have the privilege of being the second permanent resident in my
    killfile. Just to clarify: the 'MI5 conspiracy' nutcase was the first.

    Enjoy each other's company.



    --
    There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying.
    The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
    Douglas Adams

  4. Re: Virtualisation.

    Rikishi 42 wrote:

    > On 2008-02-16, Drazen Gemic wrote:
    >
    >> I am not on USENET, I am on Google. I don't care where the Google
    >> collects messages from.

    >
    > Then you don't understand the difference between the content and the
    > interface. And you refuse to understand it when someone explains.
    >
    > As someone allready pointed out: you might as well say you don't care
    > about email because you use hotmail. Which you probably do.
    >
    > Someone *that* ignorent can never have been a server admin, news or other.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > You have the privilege of being the second permanent resident in my
    > killfile. Just to clarify: the 'MI5 conspiracy' nutcase was the first.
    >


    How did you do that? He seems to have 15 qadzillion variations on the name.

    > Enjoy each other's company.
    >
    >
    >


    --
    Later,
    Darrell Stec darstec@neo.rr.com

    Webpage Sorcery
    http://webpagesorcery.com
    We Put the Magic in Your Webpages

  5. Re: Virtualisation.

    On 2008-02-16, Darrell Stec wrote:
    >> You have the privilege of being the second permanent resident in my
    >> killfile. Just to clarify: the 'MI5 conspiracy' nutcase was the first.


    > How did you do that? He seems to have 15 qadzillion variations on the name.


    Two little rules in the filter file of my leafnode server:

    ^From:.*MI5-Victim@mi5.gov.uk
    ^Subject:.*M.I.5.P*

    Works so far. If he changes, I'll just adapt.


    --
    There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying.
    The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
    Douglas Adams

  6. Re: Virtualisation.

    On Feb 16, 9:23 pm, Thorsten Kampe wrote:
    > * Drazen Gemic (Sat, 16 Feb 2008 12:16:26 -0800 (PST))
    >
    >
    >
    > > I was News admin long enogh to learn that:

    >
    > > - anyone can open group on Google, without seeking approval

    >
    > > - Google group does not have to fit USENET hierarchy

    >
    > > That does not even remotely resemble USENET policy, and those groups
    > > are not USENET groups

    >
    > > - on Google one can own a group, and owner can set policies. It is
    > > different from moderation, because true USENET group can change
    > > moderator

    >
    > > - posting policies on Google are much relaxed regarding spam,
    > > crossposting regardless of is the group shared with USENET or not

    >
    > > In fact, if the Google users and USENET users are posting at the same
    > > group, USENET users are at disadvantage because different rules apply.
    > > If I was still News admin, I wouldn't carry Google feeds because of
    > > that. Since I am not, I don't care.

    >
    > > Check Google "Terms of Service" if in doubt. Far as I am concerned
    > > Google is very different from USENET.

    >
    > You are not "on Google". You are in alt.os.linux.suse. This is a
    > newsgroup and you are participating in Usenet. Is that so hard to
    > understand?!
    >
    > Thorsten


    I am trying to explain that there are two different sets of rules that
    apply depending how are you accessing
    the group. It is a simple fact.

    Usenet rules would be: no crossposting to more than 4 groups, no off-
    topic posts, no advertising, etc.

    Person who signs for Google account is not bound by any of those
    rules. Imagine that person never used newsreader and never heard of
    USENET. How would you explain to that person that you expect her/him
    to observe additional rules ?

    I am just curious, I'd like to know.

    DG

  7. Re: Virtualisation.

    Rikishi 42 wrote:

    > On 2008-02-16, Darrell Stec wrote:
    >>> You have the privilege of being the second permanent resident in my
    >>> killfile. Just to clarify: the 'MI5 conspiracy' nutcase was the first.

    >
    >> How did you do that? He seems to have 15 qadzillion variations on the
    >> name.

    >
    > Two little rules in the filter file of my leafnode server:
    >
    > ^From:.*MI5-Victim@mi5.gov.uk
    > ^Subject:.*M.I.5.P*
    >
    > Works so far. If he changes, I'll just adapt.
    >
    >


    Thanks.

    --
    Later,
    Darrell Stec darstec@neo.rr.com

    Webpage Sorcery
    http://webpagesorcery.com
    We Put the Magic in Your Webpages

  8. Re: Virtualisation.

    Thorsten Kampe wrote:
    > You are not "on Google". You are in alt.os.linux.suse. This is a
    > newsgroup and you are participating in Usenet. Is that so hard to
    > understand?!


    It is increadible how stupid that ****wit is. He probably would be as
    good as a Newsmaster as I would be as a brainsurgeon. The fact that I
    can operate on his brain and nobody would notice anything does not say
    anything abaout my aility to be a brainsurgeon.

    He is an advertisement for abortion.

    houghi
    --

    You are standing at the end of a road before a small brick building.
    Around you is a forest. A small stream flows out of the building and
    down a gully.

  9. Re: Virtualisation.

    Rikishi 42 wrote:
    > Someone *that* ignorent can never have been a server admin, news or other.


    He might be a MSCE. And to think that these are the people (grow up to)
    vote for in their respective countries. Makes democracy a lot scarier.

    houghi
    --

    You are standing at the end of a road before a small brick building.
    Around you is a forest. A small stream flows out of the building and
    down a gully.

  10. Re: Virtualisation.

    * Drazen Gemic (Sat, 16 Feb 2008 13:36:29 -0800 (PST))
    > On Feb 16, 9:23 pm, Thorsten Kampe wrote:
    > > You are not "on Google". You are in alt.os.linux.suse. This is a
    > > newsgroup and you are participating in Usenet. Is that so hard to
    > > understand?!

    >
    > I am trying to explain that there are two different sets of rules
    > that apply depending how are you accessing the group. It is a simple
    > fact.


    It doesn't matter /how/ you access the newsgroup alt.os.linux.suse.
    You access it and you're bound to its rules.

    > Person who signs for Google account is not bound by any of those
    > rules. Imagine that person never used newsreader and never heard of
    > USENET. How would you explain to that person that you expect her/him
    > to observe additional rules ?


    It doesn't matter /how/ this person accesses the newsgroup
    alt.os.linux.suse. He accesses it and he's bound to its rules. Pretty
    simple, eh?

    Ever heard of Gmane? It's a mail to news (and vice versa) gateway. If
    you read a Gmane mailing list with your newsreader then it's still a
    mailing list. Gmane, Google, it just doesn't matter. You seem to be
    the first one having problems understanding this simple topic.

    Thorsten

  11. Re: Virtualisation.

    Drazen Gemic wrote:
    > I am not on USENET, I am on Google. I don't care where the Google
    > collects messages from.


    I'm not on USENET, I'm on Thunderbird. I don't care where the
    Thunderbird collects messages from.

    You have the IQ of a potato and can't read
    http://groups.google.com/support/bin...854&topic=9246
    because you're too stupid.

  12. Re: Virtualisation.

    Ok, I'll try to put it more simple.

    If someone posts from Google, the only rules that could be enforced
    are those in "Terms of service". I agree that it would be nice and
    fair if person behaves according to USENET rules, but it can't be
    enforced.

    If someone posts from USENET, the rules can be enforced, a person will
    be sent to abuse and he will get denied access.

  13. Re: Virtualisation.

    Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
    >> I am not on USENET, I am on Google. I don't care where the Google
    >> collects messages from.

    >
    > I'm not on USENET, I'm on Thunderbird. I don't care where the
    > Thunderbird collects messages from.


    Hey, this can be fun:
    I'm not on USENET, I'm on a chair.
    I'm not on USENET, I'm on Prozac.
    I'm not on USENET, I'm on wellfare.
    I'm not on USENET, I'm on probation.

    For people without inspiration:
    lynx -dump "http://www.google.com/search?q=%22I%27m+on+%22&num=100"| \
    grep "I'm on "|awk -F"I'm on " '{print "I`m on " $NF}'|sort

    And for the next 100, just add `&start=100` after `&num=100`


    houghi
    --
    If God doesn't destroy Hollywood Boulevard, he owes Sodom and
    Gomorrah an apology.

  14. Re: Virtualisation.

    In Thorsten Kampe:

    [Snip..]

    > the first one having problems understanding this simple topic.


    It's similar to somebody claiming they won't abide by social protocols of
    any sort, because they're a "special" individual exception.

    So sayeth the scriptures: Wotta MAROOOON...

    --
    Regards, Weird (Harold Stevens) * IMPORTANT EMAIL INFO FOLLOWS *
    Pardon any bogus email addresses (wookie) in place for spambots.
    Really, it's (wyrd) at airmail, dotted with net. DO NOT SPAM IT.
    Kids jumping ship? Looking to hire an old-school type? Email me.

  15. Re: Virtualisation.

    Drazen Gemic wrote:
    > Ok, I'll try to put it more simple.
    >
    > If someone posts from Google, the only rules that could be enforced
    > are those in "Terms of service". I agree that it would be nice and
    > fair if person behaves according to USENET rules, but it can't be
    > enforced.
    >
    > If someone posts from USENET, the rules can be enforced, a person will
    > be sent to abuse and he will get denied access.


    No, not following netiquette is not abuse. Spam is, and for some
    services, personal threats and porn are too. The problem is not abuse,
    the problem is ignorance on your part even though Google Groups clearly
    states that it is USENET gateway and that USENET if not part of Google
    and makes a clear distinction between the Google owned groups and the
    USENET carried groups.

    You are not abusing USENET. You're abusing common sense.

  16. Re: Virtualisation.

    * Drazen Gemic (Sat, 16 Feb 2008 16:18:26 -0800 (PST))
    > Ok, I'll try to put it more simple.
    >
    > If someone posts from Google, the only rules that could be enforced
    > are those in "Terms of service". I agree that it would be nice and
    > fair if person behaves according to USENET rules, but it can't be
    > enforced.
    >
    > If someone posts from USENET, the rules can be enforced, a person
    > will be sent to abuse and he will get denied access.


    You can post from Google to Usenet but you can't post "from Usenet".
    You know neither what Google is nor Usenet. I give up.

  17. Re: Virtualisation.

    On 2008-02-16, houghi wrote:

    >> Someone *that* ignorent can never have been a server admin, news or other.

    >
    > He might be a MSCE.


    My point exactly, h can't be a server admin. :-)


    > And to think that these are the people (grow up to)
    > vote for in their respective countries. Makes democracy a lot scarier.


    Especially with electronic voting. I'd hate to see the state of the machine
    after he's done with it.


    --
    There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying.
    The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
    Douglas Adams

  18. Re: Virtualisation.

    On 2008-02-16, houghi wrote:

    > He is an advertisement for abortion.

    You'd let it get that far?

    I'd say he makes a perfect argument for birth control. Even abstinence.


    --
    There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying.
    The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
    Douglas Adams

  19. Re: Virtualisation.

    Rikishi 42 wrote:
    > On 2008-02-16, houghi wrote:
    >
    >> He is an advertisement for abortion.

    > You'd let it get that far?


    I would even go to: post birth abortion or applied darwinism.

    houghi
    --
    > Knock-knock.
    > Who's there?
    > Under the Patriot Act, we don't have to tell you that.


  20. Re: Virtualisation.

    On Feb 16, 3:16 pm, Drazen Gemic wrote:
    > Check Google "Terms of Service" if in doubt. Far as I am concerned
    > Google is very different from USENET.


    The hell???
    Look on the right hand column of this page presented to you in google
    groups, at the top it VERY clearly says

    "This is a Usenet group"

    There REALLY isnt anything to argue here, you are wrong, the tool you
    are using to read and post with TELLS you what kind of group this is.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2