/media directory missing - Suse

This is a discussion on /media directory missing - Suse ; Hello everyone, We've got an IBM ThinkPad laptop running OpenSuSE 10.3 and all of a sudden the thing stopped mounting hot-pluggable devices. The long and short of it was that the whole /media directory went missing. It is obviously quite ...

  1. /media directory missing

    Hello everyone,

    We've got an IBM ThinkPad laptop running OpenSuSE 10.3 and all of a
    sudden the thing stopped mounting hot-pluggable devices. The long and
    short of it was that the whole /media directory went missing. It is
    obviously quite possible that that was a user error - but that is
    unlikely. It is also possible - and equally unlikely - that the
    machine got hacked. Barring that, what we've got is the following two
    possibilities:

    1) A bug in some process running as root

    2) A filesystem glitch

    At any rate, following me recreating the directory things seem to be
    back to normal. But if you have had a similar experience, or know what
    may be behind that, any insight would be highly appreciated.

    Thanks.

    Boris.

  2. Re: /media directory missing

    borepstein@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hello everyone,
    >
    > We've got an IBM ThinkPad laptop running OpenSuSE 10.3 and all of a
    > sudden the thing stopped mounting hot-pluggable devices. The long and
    > short of it was that the whole /media directory went missing. It is
    > obviously quite possible that that was a user error - but that is
    > unlikely. It is also possible - and equally unlikely - that the
    > machine got hacked. Barring that, what we've got is the following two
    > possibilities:
    >
    > 1) A bug in some process running as root

    That could be. I have no idea what you are running as root. Look in your
    /var/log/messages and other logfiles if you notice something.

    > 2) A filesystem glitch

    Extremely unlikely. The filesystem does not create or remove
    directories.

    > At any rate, following me recreating the directory things seem to be
    > back to normal. But if you have had a similar experience, or know what
    > may be behind that, any insight would be highly appreciated.

    Do the latest update. There was a local root exploit where local users
    could become root and thus do things that a root can do.

    Other then that, I supose it is basicaly a user error. I have chowned
    or chmodded (forget wich) /etc.

    My guess is that somebodty had root access and deleted it by accident.
    That is the reason NOT to run anything as root, if you can avoid it.
    That is also the reason I asked for the red root prompt in CLI.

    At least that makes you aware that you are root.

    houghi
    --
    Dr. Walter Gibbs: Won't that be grand? Computers and the programs
    will start thinking and the people will stop.

+ Reply to Thread