NIS+LDAP integrated authentication service - Suse

This is a discussion on NIS+LDAP integrated authentication service - Suse ; Hello all, Assuming one has some machines that can talk LDAP and others (older) machines which are NIS-only the following are my questions: 1) Is there any server side software that can serve both LDAP and NIS clients as far ...

  1. NIS+LDAP integrated authentication service

    Hello all,

    Assuming one has some machines that can talk LDAP and others (older)
    machines which are NIS-only the following are my questions:

    1) Is there any server side software that can serve both LDAP and NIS
    clients as far as their authentication needs are concerned?

    2) Can that software maintain the same authentication database?

    3) Can it be run on OpenSuSE (or Linux in general)?

    Any help much appreciated.

    Thanks.

    Boris.

  2. Re: NIS+LDAP integrated authentication service

    On Wed, 2008-02-13 at 10:10 -0800, borepstein@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hello all,
    >
    > Assuming one has some machines that can talk LDAP and others (older)
    > machines which are NIS-only the following are my questions:
    >
    > 1) Is there any server side software that can serve both LDAP and NIS
    > clients as far as their authentication needs are concerned?

    Yes... anything free? Not sure... there are some things out
    there but don't know what actually works.

    On the non-free side look at:

    http://www.padl.com/Products/NISLDAPGateway.html
    (the company should sound familiar as their code
    is the code in OpenLDAP)

    > 2) Can that software maintain the same authentication database?

    Yes (with regards to the padl product)... it's just a NIS
    frontend on top of LDAP... but there might be some records/schema
    you have to add to your LDAP.

    > 3) Can it be run on OpenSuSE (or Linux in general)?

    Yes.

    > Any help much appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Boris.