How to Install SLES WITHOUT ANY X - Suse

This is a discussion on How to Install SLES WITHOUT ANY X - Suse ; Hi People. Been googling for this but the only part I found involved suse 7. So here it is. I need to install a SLES 10 with NO X Installed ( whenever possible without any X component at all!!) Anyone ...

  1. How to Install SLES WITHOUT ANY X

    Hi People.
    Been googling for this but the only part I found involved suse 7.

    So here it is.

    I need to install a SLES 10 with NO X Installed ( whenever possible
    without any X component at all!!)

    Anyone have a idea? Would love the assistance..
    Robert A. Reissaus
    Amsterdam, the Netherlands

  2. Re: How to Install SLES WITHOUT ANY X

    * (Wed, 13 Feb 2008 16:45:06 +0100)
    > Been googling for this but the only part I found involved suse 7.
    >
    > So here it is.
    >
    > I need to install a SLES 10 with NO X Installed ( whenever possible
    > without any X component at all!!)
    >
    > Anyone have a idea? Would love the assistance..

    Just deselect the GUI components during installation...

    Thorsten

  3. Re: How to Install SLES WITHOUT ANY X

    On Feb 13, 10:45 am, S...@risdi.com wrote:
    > Hi People.
    > Been googling for this but the only part I found involved suse 7.
    >
    > So here it is.
    >
    > I need to install a SLES 10 with NO X Installed ( whenever possible
    > without any X component at all!!)
    >
    > Anyone have a idea? Would love the assistance..
    > Robert A. Reissaus
    > Amsterdam, the Netherlands

    Hi there,

    I would suggest installing SLES with X, but not running it. To do
    that, simply set your run level to 3 which is fully-networked, multi-
    user, no graphical console mode.

    Boris.

  4. Re: How to Install SLES WITHOUT ANY X

    On Feb 13, 11:21 am, Thorsten Kampe wrote:
    > * (Wed, 13 Feb 2008 16:45:06 +0100)
    >
    > > Been googling for this but the only part I found involved suse 7.

    > > So here it is.

    > > I need to install a SLES 10 with NO X Installed ( whenever possible
    > > without any X component at all!!)

    > > Anyone have a idea? Would love the assistance..

    > Just deselect the GUI components during installation...
    >
    > Thorsten

    That works but then that makes it impossible for you to access the
    machine remotely and run X-things. Unless the objective is to save a
    few Gigs on the disk (and we are talking maybe 10 GB at most which
    these days is not much) I think it is best to install X but simply not
    run it.

    Boris.

  5. Re: How to Install SLES WITHOUT ANY X

    Suse@risdi.com wrote:
    > Hi People.
    > Been googling for this but the only part I found involved suse 7.
    >
    > So here it is.
    >
    > I need to install a SLES 10 with NO X Installed ( whenever possible
    > without any X component at all!!)
    >
    > Anyone have a idea? Would love the assistance..
    > Robert A. Reissaus
    > Amsterdam, the Netherlands

    Just don't accept the default software installation, click on details
    and deselect all the xwindow, kde and gnome stuff and anything else you
    don't like. YOU control what's installed with the Yast installer.

    --
    Blattus Slafaly ? 3 7/8

  6. Re: How to Install SLES WITHOUT ANY X

    borepstein@gmail.com wrote:
    >> > I need to install a SLES 10 with NO X Installed ( whenever possible
    >> > without any X component at all!!)

    > That works but then that makes it impossible for you to access the
    > machine remotely and run X-things.

    So you want nothing from X installed and then think it is strange that
    nothing that needs X runs. I have an idea that you did not think this
    one through. ;-)

    houghi
    --
    Dr. Walter Gibbs: Won't that be grand? Computers and the programs
    will start thinking and the people will stop.

  7. Re: How to Install SLES WITHOUT ANY X

    On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 23:51:59 +0100, houghi
    wrote:

    >> That works but then that makes it impossible for you to access the
    >> machine remotely and run X-things.

    >So you want nothing from X installed and then think it is strange that
    >nothing that needs X runs. I have an idea that you did not think this
    >one through. ;-)
    >

    >houghi

    Hi Houghi.
    No, Actually I did. I don't want X to run AT ALL. I won't be needing
    it since the machine will be used as web- and mailserver only.
    Robert

  8. Re: How to Install SLES WITHOUT ANY X

    On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 17:40:21 -0500, "Blattus Slafaly £ ¥ 0/00 "
    wrote:

    >Suse@risdi.com wrote:
    >> Hi People.
    >> Been googling for this but the only part I found involved suse 7.
    >>
    >> So here it is.
    >>
    >> I need to install a SLES 10 with NO X Installed ( whenever possible
    >> without any X component at all!!)
    >>
    >> Anyone have a idea? Would love the assistance..
    >> Robert A. Reissaus
    >> Amsterdam, the Netherlands

    >Just don't accept the default software installation, click on details
    >and deselect all the xwindow, kde and gnome stuff and anything else you
    >don't like. YOU control what's installed with the Yast installer.

    Yes, I am afraid that's the only way possible. Man what a work.
    A well, just have to keep on suffering. :-)

    Thanks

  9. Re: How to Install SLES WITHOUT ANY X

    Suse@risdi.com wrote:
    > On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 23:51:59 +0100, houghi
    > wrote:

    >>> That works but then that makes it impossible for you to access the
    >>> machine remotely and run X-things.

    >>So you want nothing from X installed and then think it is strange that
    >>nothing that needs X runs. I have an idea that you did not think this
    >>one through. ;-)
    >>

    >>houghi

    > Hi Houghi.
    > No, Actually I did. I don't want X to run AT ALL. I won't be needing
    > it since the machine will be used as web- and mailserver only.

    Ok. Now I am confused. First you say you do not want any X on it, then
    you say you will miss X on it and now you say you do not need any
    application that would need X.

    Now I have completely lost the reasoning behind the question. Why did
    you ask for

    So there are a lot of things you don't want. Perhaps it is more
    interesting that you explain what you DO want.

    As far as I can see it:
    1) You do not want or need X: You do not install it.
    2) You do need X: Install it.

    houghi
    --
    You are about to enter another dimension, a dimension not only of
    sight and sound but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land of

  10. Re: How to Install SLES WITHOUT ANY X

    Suse@risdi.com wrote:

    > On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 17:40:21 -0500, "Blattus Slafaly £ ¥ 0/00 "
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Suse@risdi.com wrote:

    >>> I need to install a SLES 10 with NO X Installed ( whenever possible
    >>> without any X component at all!!)
    >>>
    >>> Anyone have a idea? Would love the assistance..

    >>Just don't accept the default software installation, click on details
    >>and deselect all the xwindow, kde and gnome stuff and anything else
    >>you don't like. YOU control what's installed with the Yast installer.

    > Yes, I am afraid that's the only way possible. Man what a work.

    Not much work at all. Just deselect anything but the basic system during
    installation. You will end up with a functional installation where you
    can add whatever you need. I have no idea why a server distribution
    comes with X and whatever at all.

    Günther

  11. Re: How to Install SLES WITHOUT ANY X

    Suse@risdi.com wrote:
    > On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 23:51:59 +0100, houghi
    > wrote:

    >>> That works but then that makes it impossible for you to access the
    >>> machine remotely and run X-things.

    >> So you want nothing from X installed and then think it is strange that
    >> nothing that needs X runs. I have an idea that you did not think this
    >> one through. ;-)
    >>

    >> houghi

    > Hi Houghi.
    > No, Actually I did. I don't want X to run AT ALL. I won't be needing
    > it since the machine will be used as web- and mailserver only.
    > Robert

    I'm a bit confused. If you want to access the machine remotely with a
    graphical login (like NX), you will need to install X. However, that
    does not mean that you have to *run* X. You can have a text-only server
    by making it boot to runlevel 3 as default.

    If you decide to not install *anything* X related, you will not be able
    to do a GUI remote login. Only SSH.

  12. Re: How to Install SLES WITHOUT ANY X

    Günther Schwarz wrote:
    > I have no idea why a server distribution comes with X and whatever at
    > all.

    Because you have to do something. It is either/or. And it is better to
    hae people remove stuff they do not need and then misss something, then
    add stuff they they do need and then miss stuff. Well, that is my guess.

    Another reason could be because the majority wants it.

    Another is because it is cheaper in the long run for Novell and this is
    come from experience of years with SUSE products.

    And obviously this is something that you can discuss with each and every
    individual and you will have 20.000.000 opinions on how it should be.

    I wonder why they don't have a Windowmaker instalation as a standard.
    :-D

    houghi
    --
    You are about to enter another dimension, a dimension not only of
    sight and sound but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land of
    imagination. Next stop, Usenet!

  13. Re: How to Install SLES WITHOUT ANY X

    * (Thu, 14 Feb 2008 20:08:30 +0100)
    > On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 17:40:21 -0500, "Blattus Slafaly £ ¥ 0/00 "
    > wrote:
    > >Suse@risdi.com wrote:
    > >> Been googling for this but the only part I found involved suse 7.
    > >>
    > >> I need to install a SLES 10 with NO X Installed ( whenever possible
    > >> without any X component at all!!)

    > >Just don't accept the default software installation, click on details
    > >and deselect all the xwindow, kde and gnome stuff and anything else you
    > >don't like. YOU control what's installed with the Yast installer.

    > Yes, I am afraid that's the only way possible. Man what a work.
    > A well, just have to keep on suffering. :-)

    No suffering involved: in YaST select "Patterns" under "Filter",
    deselect KDE/GNOME and the X Window System. Couldn't be easier.

    Thorsten

  14. Re: How to Install SLES WITHOUT ANY X

    houghi wrote:

    > Günther Schwarz wrote:
    >> I have no idea why a server distribution comes with X and whatever at
    >> all.

    > Because you have to do something. It is either/or. And it is better to
    > hae people remove stuff they do not need and then misss something,
    > then add stuff they they do need and then miss stuff. Well, that is my
    > guess.

    It all depends on how easy it will be to set up a machine the way one
    wants it to be. The package choices the SLES10 offers are not bad. But
    then, while one will find whatever packages typical for desktop
    systems, some packages are missing that are useful on a server. Like
    pine, wireshark, or the lynx web browser. A text based web browser is
    essential for setting up the update channels at Novell or a CUPS print
    server. And the one that is included in the distribution is a real
    PITA.

    Günther

  15. Re: How to Install SLES WITHOUT ANY X

    Günther Schwarz wrote:
    > houghi wrote:
    >
    >> Günther Schwarz wrote:
    >>> I have no idea why a server distribution comes with X and whatever at
    >>> all.

    >> Because you have to do something. It is either/or. And it is better to
    >> hae people remove stuff they do not need and then misss something,
    >> then add stuff they they do need and then miss stuff. Well, that is my
    >> guess.

    > It all depends on how easy it will be to set up a machine the way one
    > wants it to be. The package choices the SLES10 offers are not bad.

    If they are 'not bad' I would call the choice excelent, as each server
    will have a different purpose and a different admin with a different
    idea.

    Sure there will be things one want to see differently. if that would not
    be the case, then you might as well close down the shop, because that
    means nobody is interested anymore.

    houghi
    --
    > Beware of he who would deny you access to information, <
    > for in his heart he dreams himself your master. <
    > Commissioner Pravin Lal: "U.N. Declaration of Rights" <

  16. Re: How to Install SLES WITHOUT ANY X

    Günther Schwarz wrote:
    > houghi wrote:
    >
    >> Günther Schwarz wrote:
    >>> I have no idea why a server distribution comes with X and whatever at
    >>> all.

    >> Because you have to do something. It is either/or. And it is better to
    >> hae people remove stuff they do not need and then misss something,
    >> then add stuff they they do need and then miss stuff. Well, that is my
    >> guess.

    > It all depends on how easy it will be to set up a machine the way one
    > wants it to be. The package choices the SLES10 offers are not bad. But
    > then, while one will find whatever packages typical for desktop
    > systems, some packages are missing that are useful on a server. Like
    > pine, wireshark, or the lynx web browser. A text based web browser is
    > essential for setting up the update channels at Novell or a CUPS print
    > server. And the one that is included in the distribution is a real
    > PITA.
    >
    > Günther

    Wireshark is an xwindows KDE program.

    --
    Blattus Slafaly ? 3 7/8

  17. Re: How to Install SLES WITHOUT ANY X

    On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 23:32:08 +0100
    Günther Schwarz wrote:

    > houghi wrote:
    >
    > > Günther Schwarz wrote:
    > >> I have no idea why a server distribution comes with X and whatever
    > >> at all.

    > > Because you have to do something. It is either/or. And it is better
    > > to hae people remove stuff they do not need and then misss
    > > something, then add stuff they they do need and then miss stuff.
    > > Well, that is my guess.

    > It all depends on how easy it will be to set up a machine the way one
    > wants it to be. The package choices the SLES10 offers are not bad. But
    > then, while one will find whatever packages typical for desktop
    > systems, some packages are missing that are useful on a server. Like
    > pine, wireshark, or the lynx web browser. A text based web browser is
    > essential for setting up the update channels at Novell or a CUPS print
    > server. And the one that is included in the distribution is a real
    > PITA.
    >
    > Günther

    Hi
    Look at adding the SLE SDK. What about mailx, tcpdump, rug for
    adding repos, and then the ncurces yast?

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
    SLED 10.0 SP1 x86_64 Kernel 2.6.16.54-0.2.5-smp

  18. Re: How to Install SLES WITHOUT ANY X

    Malcolm wrote:

    > On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 23:32:08 +0100
    > Günther Schwarz wrote:

    >> A text based web browser is
    >> essential for setting up the update channels at Novell or a CUPS
    >> print server. And the one that is included in the distribution is a
    >> real PITA.

    > Look at adding the SLE SDK.

    IIRC none of the packages I mentioned are included there.

    > What about mailx, tcpdump, rug for
    > adding repos, and then the ncurces yast?

    Actually I'm now using rug for setting up my (local) update channels and
    patching. The Novell evaluation support based on a http setup was only
    a workaround until the IT guys did install the local repository.

    Günther

+ Reply to Thread