Printing to a Xerox Phaser 6110N Networked Colour Laser printer. - Suse

This is a discussion on Printing to a Xerox Phaser 6110N Networked Colour Laser printer. - Suse ; I have been using SUSE Linux for quite a while but my knowledge of printing from Linux is non-existant and the printing system in general confuses me :-( I have a Xerox Phaser 6110N (a network printer) and I just ...

  1. Printing to a Xerox Phaser 6110N Networked Colour Laser printer.

    I have been using SUSE Linux for quite a while but my knowledge of
    printing from Linux is non-existant and the printing system in general
    confuses me :-(

    I have a Xerox Phaser 6110N (a network printer) and I just cannot get it
    to work with either 10.0 or 10.1 - this printer works fine from Windoze.

    I've spent days Googling, reading HowTos and the SUSE admin manual - still
    no luck - if fact I now am totally confused about drivers, CUPS, lpr...
    and yast2/printers.

    Can someone please help me with an idiots guide on how to get this printer
    to work?

    Thanks,

    JohnK.

  2. Re: Printing to a Xerox Phaser 6110N Networked Colour Laser printer.

    JohnK wrote:

    > I have been using SUSE Linux for quite a while but my knowledge of
    > printing from Linux is non-existant and the printing system in general
    > confuses me :-(
    >
    > I have a Xerox Phaser 6110N (a network printer) and I just cannot get it
    > to work with either 10.0 or 10.1 - this printer works fine from Windoze.
    >
    > I've spent days Googling, reading HowTos and the SUSE admin manual - still
    > no luck - if fact I now am totally confused about drivers, CUPS, lpr...
    > and yast2/printers.
    >
    > Can someone please help me with an idiots guide on how to get this printer
    > to work?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > JohnK.

    I am probably not the best resource, as I am also confounded by the whole
    printer thing, but I do have a working Konica-Minolta magicolor 2430DL on
    my network, so maybe describing the process I went through to make it work
    will help you. (I'm currently running 10.3, but I've had the printer
    working for quite some time.)

    The good news --- it's all done in YaST! Open YaST, select Hardware, then
    Printer. Unless you have already configured a local printer, the list you
    see will probably be empty. You might notice YaST taking quite a while
    building a database of drivers; this is a GOOD thing. With any luck, your
    printer will be in that database!

    Simply select "Add" then "Network Printers". On the next screen, you will
    probably want "Print Directly to a Network Printer", then "Direct TCP Port
    Printing". (That really depends on how your printer's interface works.)

    Finally, you will get to a panel that allows you to specify the "Hostname of
    Print Server" and "TCP Port Number". Simply enter the printer's IP address
    and port. But note the "Look Up" button to the right! It will search for
    print servers available on your LAN! Obviously, you will need to have your
    printer powered on and connected in order to do this search. (When I just
    tried this on my system, it found a wireless access point and thought it
    looked like a print server for some reason.) Be sure to use the "Test
    remote socket access" button after you set the IP address. If the printer
    is visible and working, you will know right away. If not, you will need to
    change one of the previous settings.

    Finally, you will get to a panel where you identify the Printer Manufacturer
    and Model. This is the list of printers for which you have drivers
    installed (well, they are actually called PPD files). With any luck, you
    will see your printer listed. If not, you need to see if you can find the
    appropriate PPD. I found mine on the Konica-Minolta support site,
    installed it, and viola!

    HTH!

    --
    Larry Bristol --- The Double Luck
    http://www.doubleluck.com

  3. Re: Printing to a Xerox Phaser 6110N Networked Colour Laser printer.

    JohnK wrote:

    > I have been using SUSE Linux for quite a while but my knowledge of
    > printing from Linux is non-existant and the printing system in general
    > confuses me :-(
    >
    > I have a Xerox Phaser 6110N (a network printer) and I just cannot get it
    > to work with either 10.0 or 10.1 - this printer works fine from Windoze.
    >
    > I've spent days Googling, reading HowTos and the SUSE admin manual - still
    > no luck - if fact I now am totally confused about drivers, CUPS, lpr...
    > and yast2/printers.
    >
    > Can someone please help me with an idiots guide on how to get this printer
    > to work?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > JohnK.

    You don't say what you have done. The first thing I would do is go to:
    http://www.support.xerox.com/go/results.asp?Xlang=en_US
    &XCntry=USA&prodID=6100&ripId=&Xtype=download (all one line no wrap)

    and download the correct driver and documentation for your system and follow
    the instructions for installing it into /usr/share/cups/Xerox. Then go into
    CUPS and create the printer. It show work.

    I have a Phaser 6120 and the Xerox PPD for it and it works in openSUSE 10.2,
    10.3 and 11.0Alpha2.

    If you have more questions post back and I'll see if I can help.
    --
    Russ
    Registered Linux user #441463

  4. Re: Printing to a Xerox Phaser 6110N Networked Colour Laser printer.

    On 2008-02-13, JohnK wrote:

    > I have been using SUSE Linux for quite a while but my knowledge of
    > printing from Linux is non-existant and the printing system in general
    > confuses me :-(
    >
    > I have a Xerox Phaser 6110N (a network printer) and I just cannot get it
    > to work with either 10.0 or 10.1 - this printer works fine from Windoze.

    Xerox offers drivers on this link:
    http://www.support.xerox.com/go/resu...wnload&prodID=
    6110&Xlang=en_US&Xcntry=USA&prodName=Phaser%206110

    But usually, drivers from 'Professional' devices, such as Xerox, Océ and
    such... well let's keep it clean.

    If you only need printing services: download their driver, extract the ZIP
    file, and look for the corred ppdf file in ./Phaser_6110_Printer/ppd/C/.

    Then all you need to know is the IP of the printer.

    I've tried it, with my 10.0 desktop:
    - Yast
    - Hardware
    - Printer
    - Add (if it asks 'Do you want to configure new queue', answer No)
    - Select Print 'via LPD-Style Network Server'
    - In 'Hostname or Print Server' fill in the IP of the printer
    - In 'Remote Queue Name', enter 'lp' (that is lower case 'LP')
    - In the dialog Queue name and spooler settings, enter a name (pahser?)
    and select 'Do Local Filtering'
    - 'Add PPD file to Database' and tell if where the ppd file is
    - Choose xerox as manufacturer and Phaser 6110 as model.

    .... print !

    Of course, for scanning, you might have to install the full package.

    Douglas Adams

+ Reply to Thread