Problems with acpid - Suse

This is a discussion on Problems with acpid - Suse ; ...../....+..../....+..../....+..../....+..../....+..../....+..../....+ I've got a strange one here. I'm running four SLES 10 SP1 servers. On only one of them, sometimes when I log in as a regular user, I can't do anything. Even an 'ls' just acts as if I ...

  1. Problems with acpid

    ...../....+..../....+..../....+..../....+..../....+..../....+..../....+
    I've got a strange one here. I'm running four SLES 10 SP1 servers.
    On only one of them, sometimes when I log in as a regular user, I
    can't do anything. Even an 'ls' just acts as if I only hit ,
    not a command. I can do something like 'cat ' and see a
    list of files in the current directory. I can also run any bash
    built-in command, such as 'cd'. I can also log in as root and do
    anything without problems.

    Rebooting fixes it for a while, but that's not a good option on a
    production server. I did some fooling around, and found out that
    if I either stop or restart acpid, the normal user login works
    again.

    So I have two questions. 1) Does anybody know what the problem is?
    2) Is acpid something that I need to be running on a server? Or
    should I just shut it off?

    Thanks,
    John

  2. Re: Problems with acpid

    "John C. Frickson" wrote:

    > ..../....+..../....+..../....+..../....+..../....+..../....+..../....+
    > I've got a strange one here. I'm running four SLES 10 SP1 servers.
    > On only one of them, sometimes when I log in as a regular user, I
    > can't do anything. Even an 'ls' just acts as if I only hit ,
    > not a command. I can do something like 'cat ' and see a
    > list of files in the current directory. I can also run any bash
    > built-in command, such as 'cd'. I can also log in as root and do
    > anything without problems.
    >
    > Rebooting fixes it for a while, but that's not a good option on a
    > production server. I did some fooling around, and found out that
    > if I either stop or restart acpid, the normal user login works
    > again.
    >
    > So I have two questions. 1) Does anybody know what the problem is?
    > 2) Is acpid something that I need to be running on a server? Or
    > should I just shut it off?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > John

    Just a WAG. Is the machine set to go to sleep in the BIOS ?
    --
    Regards:
    Baron.

  3. Re: Problems with acpid

    On 2008-02-13 05:55, Baron wrote:
    > "John C. Frickson" wrote:
    >
    >> I've got a strange one here. I'm running four SLES 10 SP1 servers.
    >> On only one of them, sometimes when I log in as a regular user, I
    >> can't do anything. Even an 'ls' just acts as if I only hit ,
    >> not a command. I can do something like 'cat ' and see a
    >> list of files in the current directory. I can also run any bash
    >> built-in command, such as 'cd'. I can also log in as root and do
    >> anything without problems.
    >>
    >> Rebooting fixes it for a while, but that's not a good option on a
    >> production server. I did some fooling around, and found out that
    >> if I either stop or restart acpid, the normal user login works
    >> again.
    >>
    >> So I have two questions. 1) Does anybody know what the problem is?
    >> 2) Is acpid something that I need to be running on a server? Or
    >> should I just shut it off?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> John

    > Just a WAG. Is the machine set to go to sleep in the BIOS ?

    Hmm, I really doubt it, but I'll check next time I have to reboot.
    Nothing seems to be asleep, though.

    And I take back part of what I said above. It happened again, and I
    stopped acpid, and the normal user login still doesn't work.

+ Reply to Thread