OpenOffice 2.3 on OpenSuSE 10.3 seems to be mishandling fonts - Suse

This is a discussion on OpenOffice 2.3 on OpenSuSE 10.3 seems to be mishandling fonts - Suse ; Hello everyone, We are running OpenSuSE 10.3 which comes with OO 2.3. In that office suite there seems to be a very strange problem with the fonts. If one were to go to the fonts tab on top of the ...

  1. OpenOffice 2.3 on OpenSuSE 10.3 seems to be mishandling fonts

    Hello everyone,

    We are running OpenSuSE 10.3 which comes with OO 2.3. In that office
    suite there seems to be a very strange problem with the fonts. If one
    were to go to the fonts tab on top of the editor and try to select a
    font one would notice that many common fonts such as "Arial" or
    "Times" are nowhere to be found. Yet if one were to manually enter the
    name of the font then it seems to take.

    Any help as to what is happening and how to alleviate the situation
    will be greatly appreciated.

    Boris.

  2. Re: OpenOffice 2.3 on OpenSuSE 10.3 seems to be mishandling fonts

    borepstein@gmail.com wrote:

    > Hello everyone,
    >
    > We are running OpenSuSE 10.3 which comes with OO 2.3. In that office
    > suite there seems to be a very strange problem with the fonts. If one
    > were to go to the fonts tab on top of the editor and try to select a
    > font one would notice that many common fonts such as "Arial" or
    > "Times" are nowhere to be found. Yet if one were to manually enter the
    > name of the font then it seems to take.
    >
    > Any help as to what is happening and how to alleviate the situation
    > will be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Boris.

    -> Tools -> Options -> Fonts -> Expand [+]OpenOffice.org -> Fonts ->
    De-Select [ ] Non-proportional fonts only to see ALL the fonts.

  3. Re: OpenOffice 2.3 on OpenSuSE 10.3 seems to be mishandling fonts

    borepstein@gmail.com wrote:

    > We are running OpenSuSE 10.3 which comes with OO 2.3. In that office
    > suite there seems to be a very strange problem with the fonts. If one
    > were to go to the fonts tab on top of the editor and try to select a
    > font one would notice that many common fonts such as "Arial" or
    > "Times" are nowhere to be found. Yet if one were to manually enter the
    > name of the font then it seems to take.
    >
    > Any help as to what is happening and how to alleviate the situation
    > will be greatly appreciated.

    I'm looking at an OO fontfaq which sez:
    http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Font-FAQ This is the place
    where the work on the Font-FAQ for OpenOffice.org 2.x (*nix) will
    happen. Eventually it will replace the Font Trouble Shooting Guide
    prepared for OOo 1.x. - http://www.openoffice.org/FAQs/fontguide.html

    In there, it sez: Where can I find fonts for OpenOffice.org 2 - You can
    install a bunch of fonts using the wizard "File > Wizards > Install
    Fonts from the Web".

    .... but that's not what my Wizard function sez. It has no such option
    as 'install fonts from the web" It has no font related options at all.

    There's a lot of information in that faq and the font guide above about
    how to do things manually. Too bad there isn't a wizard.

    --
    Mike Easter

  4. Re: OpenOffice 2.3 on OpenSuSE 10.3 seems to be mishandling fonts

    ------------------------------snip-----------------------------------------------------
    > There's a lot of information in that faq and the font guide above about
    > how to do things manually. Too bad there isn't a wizard.

    Well, for now, consider me your wizard...... LOL

    Here's how to do it in OOo-2.3.xxx

    1. Download the 'macro' (Not a Wizard !) FontOOo.sxw and save it in a
    convenient location.
    http://oooconv.free.fr/fontooo/FontOOo.sxw

    2. right click on the downloaded document in Konqueror and click on
    the 'Properties' button. Click the 'Permissions' tab and make sure
    the 'Executable' box is checked. Or use whatever method you choose to set
    the executable bit...
    3. Open OpenOffice Writer
    4. Tools -> Options -> Expand the [x] OpenOffice.org button -> Security ->
    Click the 'Macro Security' button to the right.
    5. Change the security level to 'Medium' (Note# When you finish installing
    the fonts and reboot OpenOffice go back here and reset to 'High !)
    6. Click O.K.
    7. -> File -> Open -> Navigate to the file you downloaded in step #1 and
    double click on it to open it.
    8. When the file opens in Writer on the first page navigate to the language
    you are using and Ctrl + Left click on it to go to the documents page that
    is in this language. (Note# This is just a link from page one to a page
    you can read)
    9. Click on the 'Start FontOOo' button to start the Wizard.....
    So there IS a Wizard !!! ;-)

    10. Go through the dialog to download and install the fonts you choose.
    These fonts are installed for use by 'OO' only and NOT system wide. I'm
    sure you can figure out where they are installed and then install them
    system wide if you desire....... The downloading will take a while to
    complete if you pick everything (except Chinese for me anyway) on the three
    pages that will be presented to you...

    11. When the macro completes restart OpenOffice and remember to reset your
    security level to High !!

    Enjoy.

    P.S. Would have responded sooner but I usually try to test my solution
    before posting to see what unforseen situation might arise. It took a
    while to find, install, figure out the security issue, and download all the
    fonts. But thanks for asking. I learned one more thing today ! :-)

  5. Re: OpenOffice 2.3 on OpenSuSE 10.3 seems to be mishandling fonts

    On Feb 11, 7:13 pm, "Mike Easter" wrote:
    > borepst...@gmail.com wrote:
    > > We are running OpenSuSE 10.3 which comes with OO 2.3. In that office
    > > suite there seems to be a very strange problem with the fonts. If one
    > > were to go to the fonts tab on top of the editor and try to select a
    > > font one would notice that many common fonts such as "Arial" or
    > > "Times" are nowhere to be found. Yet if one were to manually enter the
    > > name of the font then it seems to take.

    > > Any help as to what is happening and how to alleviate the situation
    > > will be greatly appreciated.

    > I'm looking at an OO fontfaq which sez:http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Font-FAQ This is the place
    > where the work on the Font-FAQ for OpenOffice.org 2.x (*nix) will
    > happen. Eventually it will replace the Font Trouble Shooting Guide
    > prepared for OOo 1.x. - http://www.openoffice.org/FAQs/fontguide.html
    >
    > In there, it sez: Where can I find fonts for OpenOffice.org 2 - You can
    > install a bunch of fonts using the wizard "File > Wizards > Install
    > Fonts from the Web".
    >
    > ... but that's not what my Wizard function sez. It has no such option
    > as 'install fonts from the web" It has no font related options at all.
    >
    > There's a lot of information in that faq and the font guide above about
    > how to do things manually. Too bad there isn't a wizard.
    >
    > --
    > Mike Easter

    Thanks, I'll check them out.

    Installing fonts is not the issue at the moment, though - finding the
    ones that are already installed is.

  6. Re: OpenOffice 2.3 on OpenSuSE 10.3 seems to be mishandling fonts

    borepstein@gmail.com wrote:
    > "Mike Easter"
    >> borepst...@gmail.com wrote:
    >>> If
    >>> one were to go to the fonts tab on top of the editor and try to
    >>> select a font one would notice that many common fonts such as
    >>> "Arial" or "Times" are nowhere to be found.

    >> I'm looking at an OO fontfaq

    >> Eventually it will replace the Font Trouble Shooting Guide

    > Thanks, I'll check them out.
    >
    > Installing fonts is not the issue at the moment, though - finding the
    > ones that are already installed is.

    That subject is covered in some depth in the older troubleshooting
    guide, see earlier link.

    // Symptom - Fonts are installed on the system, but they do not appear
    in the font list box of the OpenOffice.org writer application. --
    OpenOffice.org uses two principal foundries of fonts. The first (legacy)
    foundry is the XServer. These fonts are available for displaying only.
    The second are TrueType and Type1 (PostScript) fonts that are read from
    a file. They are rasterized using the FreeType library. They are
    available for displaying and printing purposes. If a font is available
    from both foundries rastering by FreeType is preferred.

    The writer application offers only fonts that are available for both the
    display and for printing. Since fonts advertised only by the XServer are
    not available for printing they often do not show up in the font list
    box of the writer application. They will only show up if the font name
    matches a font that is resident in the selected printer (standard fonts
    like Helvetica, Times, Courier are available in virtually all PostScript
    printer models).//

    .... and then it goes on and on to explain the complexities of display vs
    printing.

    --
    Mike Easter

  7. Re: OpenOffice 2.3 on OpenSuSE 10.3 seems to be mishandling fonts

    On Feb 12, 5:37 pm, "Mike Easter" wrote:
    > borepst...@gmail.com wrote:
    > >> I'm looking at an OO fontfaq
    > >> Eventually it will replace the Font Trouble Shooting Guide

    > > Thanks, I'll check them out.

    > > Installing fonts is not the issue at the moment, though - finding the
    > > ones that are already installed is.

    > That subject is covered in some depth in the older troubleshooting
    > guide, see earlier link.
    >
    > // Symptom - Fonts are installed on the system, but they do not appear
    > in the font list box of the OpenOffice.org writer application. --
    > OpenOffice.org uses two principal foundries of fonts. The first (legacy)
    > foundry is the XServer. These fonts are available for displaying only.
    > The second are TrueType and Type1 (PostScript) fonts that are read from
    > a file. They are rasterized using the FreeType library. They are
    > available for displaying and printing purposes. If a font is available
    > from both foundries rastering by FreeType is preferred.
    >
    > The writer application offers only fonts that are available for both the
    > display and for printing. Since fonts advertised only by the XServer are
    > not available for printing they often do not show up in the font list
    > box of the writer application. They will only show up if the font name
    > matches a font that is resident in the selected printer (standard fonts
    > like Helvetica, Times, Courier are available in virtually all PostScript
    > printer models).//
    >
    > ... and then it goes on and on to explain the complexities of display vs
    > printing.
    >
    > --
    > Mike Easter

    Thanks for your input, everybody. Will try this shortly.

    Boris.

+ Reply to Thread