Installation 10.3 doesn´t run - Suse

This is a discussion on Installation 10.3 doesn´t run - Suse ; Well, I need some help.... I tried to update or even install 10.3 on my running 10.2 computer. Booting from dvd results in a message like "No repository found, not a valid disk" I booted a notebook with that very ...

  1. Installation 10.3 doesn´t run

    Well, I need some help....
    I tried to update or even install 10.3 on my running 10.2 computer.
    Booting from dvd results in a message like "No repository found, not a
    valid disk"
    I booted a notebook with that very disk, wich worked.
    I tried several installation-disks, none worked on my pc.
    I changed from 10.2 to 10.1, easily and back to 10.2, no problem.
    Setting up a 10.3 disk as a repository, using yast, failes, due to
    zmd.
    After a lot of trial and error, I decided, not to update or change the
    system on
    the primary harddisk. Instead, I emptied the secondary disk, only
    formatted as ext3, switched off the primary hd and tried to install
    10.3 on the secondary disk. Of course, I got the same message, not a
    valid disk, no repository found...

    Both, pc (not working) and notebook (doing, whatever I want) are dual-
    processor amd- cpu engines, the pc runs with 10.2 installed,
    everything regarding this version can be installed or removed. Only
    the 10.3 version causes problems.

    I think, there is something very simple standing in my way, but I don
    ´t see it.
    Can someone give me a hint on solving the problem?

    Andreas

  2. Re: Installation 10.3 doesn´t run

    "Andreas Böttner" wrote in message
[...]

    You don't say what type of system or how your disk substructure is
    configured. I had this same problem on an HP NetServer LH3000 when I tried
    to use the LSI drivers for the SmartArray controller card managing the RAID
    sets. Once I set all the disks as independent and did not use any hardware
    RAID everything worked fine. I let SuSE manage the logical volumes and RAID
    groups.

    --
    Jim Carter
    Rogers, Arkansas

  3. Re: Installation 10.3 doesn´t run

    Andreas Böttner wrote:

    > Well, I need some help....
    > I tried to update or even install 10.3 on my running 10.2 computer.
    > Booting from dvd results in a message like "No repository found, not a
    > valid disk"
    > I booted a notebook with that very disk, wich worked.
    > I tried several installation-disks, none worked on my pc.
    > I changed from 10.2 to 10.1, easily and back to 10.2, no problem.
    > Setting up a 10.3 disk as a repository, using yast, failes, due to
    > zmd.
    > After a lot of trial and error, I decided, not to update or change the
    > system on
    > the primary harddisk. Instead, I emptied the secondary disk, only
    > formatted as ext3, switched off the primary hd and tried to install
    > 10.3 on the secondary disk. Of course, I got the same message, not a
    > valid disk, no repository found...
    >
    > Both, pc (not working) and notebook (doing, whatever I want) are dual-
    > processor amd- cpu engines, the pc runs with 10.2 installed,
    > everything regarding this version can be installed or removed. Only
    > the 10.3 version causes problems.
    >
    > I think, there is something very simple standing in my way, but I don
    > ´t see it.
    > Can someone give me a hint on solving the problem?
    >
    > Andreas

    If this is the DVD that you burnt, did you do it as an ISO ? and did
    you close the disk after burning ?
    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.

  4. Re: Installation 10.3 doesn´t run

    To answer the questions: I did not specify the hardware, because the
    10.2 Version of Suse runs smoothly. so I think, the 10.3 should be
    able to manage the very same hardware as well. But it is nothing
    special: Just the board, MSI K7 Master with the AMD 768 Cipset. 2 AMD
    Athlon 2000+ CPU´s, GeForce4 graphics onboard sound and network and a
    usb 2.0 adaptercard. No raid, just master and slave harddisk on IDE 1
    and a dvd-writer on IDE 2.

    For the disks, I use: 2 are from magazines, 2 are selfburnt, ISO
    Images, made with K3b. And the disks work fine, when used with the
    notebook.
    The only thing I can imagine is, that somewhere in the boot-section is
    an information about where to look for the repositories and that the
    10.3 version does not match this information. But when I use an empty,
    formated hardisk for installation and still get the
    errormessage...thats beyond my knowledge.

    Regards

    Andreas

  5. Re: Installation 10.3 doesn´t run

    Andreas Böttner wrote:

    > To answer the questions: I did not specify the hardware, because the
    > 10.2 Version of Suse runs smoothly. so I think, the 10.3 should be
    > able to manage the very same hardware as well. But it is nothing
    > special: Just the board, MSI K7 Master with the AMD 768 Cipset. 2 AMD
    > Athlon 2000+ CPU´s, GeForce4 graphics onboard sound and network and a
    > usb 2.0 adaptercard. No raid, just master and slave harddisk on IDE 1
    > and a dvd-writer on IDE 2.
    >
    > For the disks, I use: 2 are from magazines, 2 are selfburnt, ISO
    > Images, made with K3b. And the disks work fine, when used with the
    > notebook.
    > The only thing I can imagine is, that somewhere in the boot-section is
    > an information about where to look for the repositories and that the
    > 10.3 version does not match this information. But when I use an empty,
    > formated hardisk for installation and still get the
    > errormessage...thats beyond my knowledge.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Andreas

    Ok lets see if we can get to the bottom of your troubles!

    If I understand you correctly you have a desktop computer that is
    running SuSE 10.2 and this computer can read the CD you are trying to
    boot from. But although the machine can read the CD it will not boot
    from it!

    Please confirm that I have this correct.

    --
    Regards:
    Baron.

  6. Re: Installation 10.3 doesn´t run

    No, the PC does not read the disks correctly, the notebook does.
    It is a dual-core machine too, similar features, altough not exactliy
    the same.
    On the notebook, I installed suse 10.3 a few weeks ago, using the same
    disk
    and if I boot the notebook from these disks, it runs perfectly,
    allowing me to
    install, update or whatever. I just used it to check the dvd.

  7. Re: Installation 10.3 doesn´t run

    Andreas Böttner wrote:

    > No, the PC does not read the disks correctly, the notebook does.
    > It is a dual-core machine too, similar features, altough not exactliy
    > the same.
    > On the notebook, I installed suse 10.3 a few weeks ago, using the same
    > disk
    > and if I boot the notebook from these disks, it runs perfectly,
    > allowing me to
    > install, update or whatever. I just used it to check the dvd.

    Right, based on this I am assuming that you are having the same problem
    reading any CD or DVD not just the SuSE ones on this PC.

    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.

  8. Re: Installation 10.3 doesn´t run

    > Right, based on this I am assuming that you are having the same problem
    > reading any CD or DVD not just the SuSE ones on this PC.

    Oh, no, I can do whatever I want, except installing suse 10.3.
    I can downgrade to 10.1, I use the dvd-player for burning, I could
    install Ubuntu.
    It is just the nonexistent repository on the 10.3-disk...on 4
    different 10.3 disks
    on disks, that do the job on my other machine.
    I just bought the components for this pc and did all the setup-work,
    using
    it, as it is today, installing windows, suse 10.2, installing drivers,
    all this done with this
    pc an dvd-player.
    I said, it is not easy to understand it! I don't.

    Regards

    Andreas

  9. Re: Installation 10.3 doesn´t run

    Andreas Böttner wrote:

    >> Right, based on this I am assuming that you are having the same
    >> problem reading any CD or DVD not just the SuSE ones on this PC.
    >>

    > Oh, no, I can do whatever I want, except installing suse 10.3.
    > I can downgrade to 10.1, I use the dvd-player for burning, I could
    > install Ubuntu.
    > It is just the nonexistent repository on the 10.3-disk...on 4
    > different 10.3 disks on disks, that do the job on my other machine.

    This doesn't make any sense ! Either the CD/DVD Drive is reading the
    disks or it isn't. There is nothing selective in the drive that would
    cause it to discriminate against SuSE 10.3

    If its not reading the disk, how do you know that its because of an

    --
    Regards:
    Baron.

  10. Re: Installation 10.3 doesn´t run

    > This doesn't make any sense ! Either the CD/DVD Drive is reading the
    > disks or it isn't. There is nothing selective in the drive that would
    > cause it to discriminate against SuSE 10.3
    >
    > If its not reading the disk, how do you know that its because of an
    > "nonexistent repository on the 10.3-disk" ??

    Because that is the error-message. I know, it doesn´t make sense,
    thats why I am asking for help. The installation switches to the old
    simple graghic, where I select "Installation" and again I get the
    message "No repository found. Not a valid disk" Or, to put it in your
    words: There is something selective in this pc, that discriminates
    suse 10.3. As if the repository could not be read, due to packing or
    whatever.

    Mystery from Andreas

  11. Re: Installation 10.3 doesn´t run

    Andreas Böttner wrote:

    >> This doesn't make any sense ! Either the CD/DVD Drive is reading the
    >> disks or it isn't. There is nothing selective in the drive that
    >> would cause it to discriminate against SuSE 10.3
    >>
    >> If its not reading the disk, how do you know that its because of an
    >> "nonexistent repository on the 10.3-disk" ??
    >>

    > Because that is the error-message. I know, it doesn´t make sense,
    > thats why I am asking for help. The installation switches to the old
    > simple graghic, where I select "Installation" and again I get the
    > message "No repository found. Not a valid disk" Or, to put it in your
    > words: There is something selective in this pc, that discriminates
    > suse 10.3. As if the repository could not be read, due to packing or
    > whatever.
    >
    > Mystery from Andreas

    Right so the drive is reading the disks !

    You need to look at the "OpenSuSE.org" site. I seem to recall that
    there are some machines that loose track of the CD/DVD rom drive when
    trying to install 10.3. The error message is because the install
    cannot find the rom drive.

    --
    Regards:
    Baron.

  12. Re: Installation 10.3 doesn´t run

    > Right so the drive is reading the disks !
    >
    > You need to look at the "OpenSuSE.org" site. I seem to recall that
    > there are some machines that loose track of the CD/DVD rom drive when
    > trying to install 10.3. The error message is because the install
    > cannot find the rom drive.
    >
    > --
    > Regards:
    > Baron.

    I will try that. I just ripped apart the pc, used only one Harddisk,
    empty, removed the firewire adapter and tried again, but I got the
    same result. Is it possible, that 10.3 is not capable of managing two
    cpu´s? And that I need to install a server-version?

    Best Regards
    Andreas

  13. Re: Installation 10.3 doesn´t run

    I tried to use the dvd as well as the online repository, using yast->
    software -> repositories
    I added the source, started the installation and while the system is
    reading the repositories,
    the error message below appears:

    Fehler bei der Initialisierung der Installationsquelle. Error
    Initializing the Installation source
    http://download.opensuse.org/distrib...0.3/repo/oss/: Can't parse
    packages file: Can't open /var/lib/zypp/cache/Source.0NW3sB/DATA/descr/
    packages

    Guess I am stuck, this was my last idea.

    Regards

    Andreas

  14. Re: Installation 10.3 doesn´t run

    Andreas Böttner wrote:

    >> Right so the drive is reading the disks !
    >>
    >> You need to look at the "OpenSuSE.org" site. I seem to recall that
    >> there are some machines that loose track of the CD/DVD rom drive when
    >> trying to install 10.3. The error message is because the install
    >> cannot find the rom drive.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Regards:
    >> Baron.

    > I will try that. I just ripped apart the pc, used only one Harddisk,
    > empty, removed the firewire adapter and tried again, but I got the
    > same result. Is it possible, that 10.3 is not capable of managing two
    > cpu´s? And that I need to install a server-version?
    >
    > Best Regards
    > Andreas

    Open SuSE will use 16 CPU out of the box. One of my machines runs two
    dual core CPU.

    This is a known bug. But I'm blessed if I can find the references to
    it.

    --
    Regards:
    Baron.

  15. Re: Installation 10.3 doesn´t run

    Andreas Böttner wrote:

    > I tried to use the dvd as well as the online repository, using yast->
    > software -> repositories
    > I added the source, started the installation and while the system is
    > reading the repositories,
    > the error message below appears:
    >
    > Fehler bei der Initialisierung der Installationsquelle. Error
    > Initializing the Installation source
    > http://download.opensuse.org/distrib...0.3/repo/oss/: Can't parse
    > packages file: Can't open
    > /var/lib/zypp/cache/Source.0NW3sB/DATA/descr/ packages
    >
    > Guess I am stuck, this was my last idea.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Andreas

    I think that this maybe the same problem. I'm sure that one of the
    Experts on SuSE will be able to point you to the right place.

    --
    Regards:
    Baron.

  16. Re: Installation 10.3 doesn´t run

    Have a look at "http://help.opensuse.org"
    --
    Regards:
    Baron.

  17. Re: Installation 10.3 doesn´t run

    OK, I got it. After that error message, I installed the package-list
    manually, unzipped it and restarted the Installation/Update process,
    using yast again. It installed the necessary 932 packages via internet-
    update. Now the system is 10.3. Still no explanation for the disk
    failure but this way worked.

    Thank you for the help

    Andreas

  18. Re: Installation 10.3 doesn´t run

    Andreas Böttner wrote:

    > OK, I got it. After that error message, I installed the package-list
    > manually, unzipped it and restarted the Installation/Update process,
    > using yast again. It installed the necessary 932 packages via
    > internet- update. Now the system is 10.3. Still no explanation for the
    > disk failure but this way worked.
    >
    > Thank you for the help
    >
    > Andreas

    Glad it worked out Ok.