Strange problem with Online Update - Suse

This is a discussion on Strange problem with Online Update - Suse ; I'm having a strange problem with the Online Update of Yast. Every time I start it, there are some persistent "updates" available, more precisely, these: http://warp.povusers.org/snaps/yast_snap1.png When I click "Accept" the program simply closes. I'm not sure if it's crashing ...

  1. Strange problem with Online Update

    I'm having a strange problem with the Online Update of Yast. Every
    time I start it, there are some persistent "updates" available, more
    precisely, these:

    http://warp.povusers.org/snaps/yast_snap1.png

    When I click "Accept" the program simply closes. I'm not sure if it's
    crashing or simply closing because there's nothing to do.

    If I click on the selected packages of eg. the mono-core update, ie.
    like this:

    http://warp.povusers.org/snaps/yast_snap2.png

    and then click 'Accept' then it downloads and "installs" those selected
    packages:

    http://warp.povusers.org/snaps/yast_snap3.png

    When I click "close" and then start Online Update again, I'm back at
    the first snapshot above: The exact same packages are again listed
    there, including the 'mono' packages I just installed.

    This hasn't happened before.

  2. Re: Strange problem with Online Update

    Juha Nieminen wrote:

    > I'm having a strange problem with the Online Update of Yast. Every
    > time I start it, there are some persistent "updates" available,

    I have this problem on about 3 machines. My persistent update is for
    amarok.

    No idea how to get round it, but it is annoying.
    --
    David Wilson Clarke

  3. Re: Strange problem with Online Update

    On Mon, 11 Feb 2008, Juha Nieminen wrote:-

    > I'm having a strange problem with the Online Update of Yast. Every
    >time I start it, there are some persistent "updates" available, more
    >precisely, these:

    > When I click "close" and then start Online Update again, I'm back at
    >the first snapshot above: The exact same packages are again listed
    >there, including the 'mono' packages I just installed.

    This might clear the problem, but there's no guarantees. First you need
    to open up a root console. Then, enter the command[0]:

    zypper ref

    This will ask zypper to refresh all the installation sources, whether
    they require a refresh or not. Once the refresh is complete, enter just
    one of these commands[0]:

    zypper up
    zypper up -y
    zypper up --skip-interactive
    zypper up --skip-interactive -y

    All of these will ask zypper to perform an upgrade.

    The first one will start zypper, which will check to see which packages
    need upgrading, after which it will display what it will do and wait for
    confirmation. Pressing 'y' and return will start the upgrade.

    The second command does almost the same as the first one. The difference
    is that, instead of waiting for you to accept what it's going to do, the
    '-y' tells zypper to go ahead and do whatever it needs to do
    automatically.

    The third and fourth[1] commands are just like the first two, only the
    option '--skip-interactive' tells zypper to skip any upgrades that will
    require a reboot, e.g. kernel upgrades, dbus, etc.

    After the upgrade is completed, YaST Online Update shouldn't list those
    upgrades any more.

    [0] If you're curious about what's going on, add a -v straight after
    zypper. Putting it elsewhere is very likely to result in an error.

    [1] This is the command I use for automatic upgrades using cron. Using
    the --skip-interactive option, all the upgrades get installed apart from
    those that require a reboot. All I need to do is do the interactive ones
    when I'm there to reboot the system.

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit | openSUSE 10.3 32bit | openSUSE 11.0a1

  4. Re: Strange problem with Online Update

    David Wilson Clarke wrote:

    > I have this problem on about 3 machines. My persistent update is for
    > amarok.
    >
    > No idea how to get round it, but it is annoying.

    dependencies problem that yast can't solve?
    my amarok is 1.4.8-100.pm.2 and comes from packman.
    do you have packman in repositories?
    http://en.opensuse.org/Additional_Ya...tories#Packman
    --
    EOS
    www.photo-memories.be

  5. Re: Strange problem with Online Update

    EOS wrote:

    > David Wilson Clarke wrote:
    >
    >> I have this problem on about 3 machines. My persistent update is
    >> for amarok.
    >>
    >> No idea how to get round it, but it is annoying.

    > dependencies problem that yast can't solve?
    > my amarok is 1.4.8-100.pm.2 and comes from packman.
    > do you have packman in repositories?
    > http://en.opensuse.org/Additional_Ya...tories#Packman

    Yes, I have Packman as one of my repositories. My Amarok is 1.4.7, the
    offered version that doesn't load is 4492-0 (not sure what that No.
    is). I think I'll try a manual update, and see what errors it gives.

    Thanks for your help.
    --
    David Wilson Clarke

  6. Re: Strange problem with Online Update

    David Wilson Clarke wrote:

    > Yes, I have Packman as one of my repositories. My Amarok is 1.4.7, the
    > offered version that doesn't load is 4492-0 (not sure what that No.
    > is). I think I'll try a manual update, and see what errors it gives.

    you can try to make a upgrade like that
    http://users.telenet.be/photo-memori...-downgrade.png
    --
    EOS
    www.photo-memories.be
    Running KDE 3.5.8 / openSUSE 10.3

  7. Re: Strange problem with Online Update

    David Bolt wrote:
    > zypper ref
    > zypper up

    Executing those resulted (in the end) in:

    Online Update still behaves like previously.

  8. Re: Strange problem with Online Update

    Juha Nieminen schreef:

    > I'm having a strange problem with the Online Update of Yast. Every
    > time I start it, there are some persistent "updates" available, more
    > precisely, these:
    >
    > http://warp.povusers.org/snaps/yast_snap1.png

    Looking at that screenshot it seems there are no updates available.
    The ones you see are allready installed, or are for software you do not have
    installed.
    You can check by scrolling to the right and look at the installed version
    and the available version, they should be the same or show that it is for
    software not installed.

    --
    Chris Maaskant

  9. Re: Strange problem with Online Update

    Juha Nieminen wrote:
    > I'm having a strange problem with the Online Update of Yast. Every
    > time I start it, there are some persistent "updates" available, more
    > precisely, these:
    >
    > http://warp.povusers.org/snaps/yast_snap1.png
    >
    > When I click "Accept" the program simply closes. I'm not sure if it's
    > crashing or simply closing because there's nothing to do.
    >
    > If I click on the selected packages of eg. the mono-core update, ie.
    > like this:
    >
    > http://warp.povusers.org/snaps/yast_snap2.png
    >
    > and then click 'Accept' then it downloads and "installs" those selected
    > packages:
    >
    > http://warp.povusers.org/snaps/yast_snap3.png
    >
    > When I click "close" and then start Online Update again, I'm back at
    > the first snapshot above: The exact same packages are again listed
    > there, including the 'mono' packages I just installed.
    >
    > This hasn't happened before.

    It also happens to me a lot. Some kind of bug. Select the packages in
    the list to the *left* (checkmarks, not the "Z" icon) and accept. They
    will not appear again.

  10. Re: Strange problem with Online Update

    EOS wrote:

    > David Wilson Clarke wrote:
    >
    >> Yes, I have Packman as one of my repositories. My Amarok is 1.4.7, the
    >> offered version that doesn't load is 4492-0 (not sure what that No.
    >> is). I think I'll try a manual update, and see what errors it gives.

    > you can try to make a upgrade like that
    > http://users.telenet.be/photo-memori...-downgrade.png

    Ah, thanks for that. Well, I've upgraded to 1.4.8, but it's still telling me
    there is an upgrade available.

    Hmm, so I took David Bolts manual zypper stuff, which gave me this:

    ads129:/home/dclarke # zypper -v up
    Verbosity: 1
    Initialising Target
    Checking whether to refresh metadata for Main Repository (NON-OSS)
    Checking whether to refresh metadata for Main Repository (OSS)
    Checking whether to refresh metadata for Packman Repository
    Checking whether to refresh metadata for openSUSE-10.3-Updates
    * Reading repository 'Main Repository (NON-OSS)' cache
    (83 resolvables found)
    * Reading repository 'Main Repository (OSS)' cache
    (6457 resolvables found)
    * Reading repository 'Packman Repository' cache
    (5270 resolvables found)
    * Reading repository 'openSUSE-10.3-Updates' cache
    (4664 resolvables found)
    * Reading repository 'openSUSE-10.3-DVD 10.3' cache
    (3603 resolvables found)
    * Reading installed packages [100%]
    (2197 resolvables)
    0 items locked
    Establishing status of aggregates
    0 items locked
    Establishing status of aggregates
    Resolving dependencies...

    The following package is going to be upgraded:
    yauap-0.2.1-21.2.i586 (openSUSE-10.3-Updates)

    The following patch is going to be downgraded:
    amarok-4492-0.noarch (openSUSE-10.3-Updates)

    The following NEW package is going to be installed:
    openmotif22-libs-2.2.4-84.1.i586 (openSUSE-10.3-Updates)

    The following NEW patch is going to be installed:
    openmotif22-libs-4540-0.noarch (openSUSE-10.3-Updates)

    Overall download size: 1.2 M. After the operation, additional 2.7 M will be
    used.
    Continue? [yes/no]: y
    committing
    Downloading package yauap-0.2.1-21.2.i586, 28.1 K (65.0 K unpacked)
    Downloading delta: ./rpm/i586/yauap-0.2.1-21_21.2.i586.delta.rpm, 16.6 K
    Downloading: yauap-0.2.1-21_21.2.i586.delta.rpm
    * Downloading [100%]

    Applying
    delta: /var/adm/mount/AP_0x00000001/rpm/i586/yauap-0.2.1-21_21.2.i586.delta.rpm
    * Applying delta [100%]

    * Installing: yauap-0.2.1-21.2 [100%]
    Downloading package openmotif22-libs-2.2.4-84.1.i586, 1.2 M (2.7 M unpacked)
    Downloading: openmotif22-libs-2.2.4-84.1.i586.rpm
    * Downloading [100%]

    * Installing: openmotif22-libs-2.2.4-84.1 [100%]
    CommitResult 7 (errors 0, remaining 0, srcremaining 0)
    ads129:/home/dclarke #

    So it's says it's going to downgrade Amarok, but it does not. Hmmm.
    --
    David Wilson Clarke

  11. Re: Strange problem with Online Update

    Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
    > It also happens to me a lot. Some kind of bug. Select the packages in
    > the list to the *left* (checkmarks, not the "Z" icon) and accept. They
    > will not appear again.

    But wouldn't that install *everything* on those packages, including
    things I don't need (such as the devel packages)?

  12. Re: Strange problem with Online Update

    Juha Nieminen wrote:
    > Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
    >> It also happens to me a lot. Some kind of bug. Select the packages in
    >> the list to the *left* (checkmarks, not the "Z" icon) and accept. They
    >> will not appear again.

    > But wouldn't that install *everything* on those packages, including
    > things I don't need (such as the devel packages)?

    No. In fact, it doesn't do anything. When you press accept, nothing
    happens, but next time they don't show up again.

    As I said, some kind of bug.

+ Reply to Thread