Solution for the root exploit - Suse

This is a discussion on Solution for the root exploit - Suse ; Yast found the patch and is applying it now, and I'm waiting for the compile to finish......whew! And boy was that ever fast. It takes M$ months to promulgate patches for windoze! houghi wrote: > houghi wrote: > > The ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 28 of 28

  1. Re: Solution for the root exploit

    houghi wrote:
    > houghi wrote:
    >
    > The updates are available:
    > Fixed packages have been released for openSUSE 10.2 and 10.3.
    >
    > For SUSE Linux Enterprise Realtime 10 packages are being prepared
    > currently.
    >

    > houghi

  2. Re: Solution for the root exploit

    David Bolt wrote:
    >>My guess is HD problems.

    > Are you actually having some? Tried badblocks with a non-destructive
    > write test? What does smart say about the drives condition?

    On and ofd, although tests show no problem. This with different mobo's,
    different distributions and different drives and this for a couple of
    years. So my first suspect is always HD.

    >>If it were a module, it would have happend
    >>again the second time.

    > Not necessarily. If it was a module that went missing due to the kernel
    > upgrade, the second time would refer to the new kernel module.

    Uh, why would it be missing with the first reboot and available with the
    second reboot? Is somebody or something repairing my machine while it is
    off?

    houghi
    --
    Dr. Walter Gibbs: Won't that be grand? Computers and the programs
    will start thinking and the people will stop.

  3. Re: Solution for the root exploit

    Barnacle Bill the Sailor wrote:

    > Yast found the patch and is applying it now, and I'm waiting for the
    > compile to finish......whew! And boy was that ever fast. It takes M$
    > months to promulgate patches for windoze!

    Please do not toppost. And the first solution to the problem was given
    about 5 minutes after it became known. I think Novell was slow. The
    problem was known to the public on sunday. The solution should have been
    here on mobday already.

    It is still strange that a lot of people I know who run Linux are not
    aware of it. This is a MAJOR security breach, I would say.

    houghi
    --
    Dr. Walter Gibbs: Won't that be grand? Computers and the programs
    will start thinking and the people will stop.
    -- Tron (1982)

  4. Re: Solution for the root exploit

    On Wed, 13 Feb 2008, houghi wrote:-

    >David Bolt wrote:
    >>>My guess is HD problems.

    >> Are you actually having some? Tried badblocks with a non-destructive
    >> write test? What does smart say about the drives condition?

    >On and ofd, although tests show no problem. This with different mobo's,
    >different distributions and different drives and this for a couple of

    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    >years. So my first suspect is always HD.

    If it's different drives, unless they are second user drives, I'd have
    thought they'd have been quite a way from being the first suspect.

    >> Not necessarily. If it was a module that went missing due to the kernel
    >> upgrade, the second time would refer to the new kernel module.

    >Uh, why would it be missing with the first reboot and available with the
    >second reboot?

    Because on the first shutdown the module won't be there as the kernel
    update will have deleted it. Once the system restarts, the new kernel is
    used, along with the new kernel modules.

    >Is somebody or something repairing my machine while it is
    >off?

    Some benevolent person has root?

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit | openSUSE 10.3 32bit | openSUSE 11.0a1

  5. Re: Solution for the root exploit

    David Bolt wrote:
    >>On and ofd, although tests show no problem. This with different mobo's,
    >>different distributions and different drives and this for a couple of

    > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    >>years. So my first suspect is always HD.

    > If it's different drives, unless they are second user drives, I'd have
    > thought they'd have been quite a way from being the first suspect.

    Well, if you look at it, it is completely different PC's in the end, yet
    when looking, it is the drives that give me problems, if anything.

    >>> Not necessarily. If it was a module that went missing due to the kernel
    >>> upgrade, the second time would refer to the new kernel module.

    >>Uh, why would it be missing with the first reboot and available with the
    >>second reboot?

    > Because on the first shutdown the module won't be there as the kernel
    > update will have deleted it. Once the system restarts, the new kernel is
    > used, along with the new kernel modules.

    Yes and the sytem hung when it did the restart. So we have:
    Running machine : OK
    Update of the kernel and such : OK
    Reboot shutdown : Ok
    Show of the BIOS: Most likely OK, but I was not there. If NOK, no
    startup
    Reboot startup : Not OK
    Hard reboot : OK
    Show of the BIOS: OK
    Reboot : OK

    So there is no 'missing module'. The machine halted during the startup,
    not during the shudown.

    >>Is somebody or something repairing my machine while it is
    >>off?

    > Some benevolent person has root?

    If so, he can have the power when it is off all the time.

    houghi
    --
    Dr. Walter Gibbs: Won't that be grand? Computers and the programs
    will start thinking and the people will stop.
    -- Tron (1982)

  6. Re: Solution for the root exploit

    On Wed, 13 Feb 2008, houghi wrote:-

    >David Bolt wrote:
    >>>On and ofd, although tests show no problem. This with different mobo's,
    >>>different distributions and different drives and this for a couple of

    >> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    >>>years. So my first suspect is always HD.

    >> If it's different drives, unless they are second user drives, I'd have
    >> thought they'd have been quite a way from being the first suspect.

    >Well, if you look at it, it is completely different PC's in the end, yet
    >when looking, it is the drives that give me problems, if anything.

    My problems usually start with power supply issues, then thermal issues
    with the processors, then drive issues.

    >So there is no 'missing module'. The machine halted during the startup,
    >not during the shudown.

    Ah. My reading was that it had locked while shutting down to reboot, not
    that it had locked after actually restarting.

    >>>Is somebody or something repairing my machine while it is
    >>>off?

    >> Some benevolent person has root?

    >If so, he can have the power when it is off all the time.

    :-)

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit | openSUSE 10.3 32bit | openSUSE 11.0a1

  7. Re: Solution for the root exploit

    David Bolt wrote:
    >>Well, if you look at it, it is completely different PC's in the end, yet
    >>when looking, it is the drives that give me problems, if anything.

    > My problems usually start with power supply issues, then thermal issues
    > with the processors, then drive issues.

    I read 'terminal' there and though "that is a severe issue, I wonder how
    he solved that." ;-)

    houghi
    --
    Dr. Walter Gibbs: Won't that be grand? Computers and the programs
    will start thinking and the people will stop.
    -- Tron (1982)

  8. Re: Solution for the root exploit

    On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 19:45:04 -0500, Barnacle Bill the Sailor
    wrote:

    >Yast found the patch and is applying it now, and I'm waiting for the
    >compile to finish......whew! And boy was that ever fast. It takes M$
    >months to promulgate patches for windoze!

    You're an idiot. It only took you five seconds to write that
    horse****, and promulgate our knowledge of your utter stupidity.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2