speed up PIII - Suse

This is a discussion on speed up PIII - Suse ; Hi, I've got SusE 10.3 running on a PIII with a gig of ram and a decent nVidia graphics card. I was wondering what I might be able to do to speed things up a bit. I know there are ...

  1. speed up PIII

    Hi, I've got SusE 10.3 running on a PIII with a gig of ram and a decent
    nVidia graphics card. I was wondering what I might be able to do to speed
    things up a bit. I know there are some services I don't necessarily need
    running, but not sure which they are.

    Thanks!

    --
    d.b. cooper
    ===========

  2. Re: speed up PIII

    d.b. cooper wrote:
    > Hi, I've got SusE 10.3 running on a PIII with a gig of ram and a decent
    > nVidia graphics card. I was wondering what I might be able to do to speed
    > things up a bit. I know there are some services I don't necessarily need
    > running, but not sure which they are.
    >
    > Thanks!

    Get rid of Beagle search.

    Otoh, 10.3 is not a very lightweight distro. KDE is rather heavy, and
    replacing that for another Windowing system will help the most.

    A better option would be to get some more up-to-date hardware.
    I've got 10.3 running on a Compaq Armada 6500 laptop with 384MB Ram and
    a 40GB HD, but it is just slow. If you are not in a hurry, it will do.
    I also have a Toshiba 3500 Tablet pc with 768MB memory and a 160GB HD. A
    lot faster, but still slow compared to my 2 year old Medion pc with an
    Intel 630 processor and 1GB memory.

    Joost

  3. Re: speed up PIII

    Joost van der Waa wrote:
    > d.b. cooper wrote:
    >> Hi, I've got SusE 10.3 running on a PIII with a gig of ram and a
    >> decent nVidia graphics card. I was wondering what I might be able to
    >> do to speed things up a bit. I know there are some services I don't
    >> necessarily need running, but not sure which they are.
    >>
    >> Thanks!
    >>

    > Get rid of Beagle search.
    >
    > Otoh, 10.3 is not a very lightweight distro. KDE is rather heavy, and
    > replacing that for another Windowing system will help the most.
    >
    > A better option would be to get some more up-to-date hardware.
    > I've got 10.3 running on a Compaq Armada 6500 laptop with 384MB Ram and
    > a 40GB HD, but it is just slow. If you are not in a hurry, it will do.
    > I also have a Toshiba 3500 Tablet pc with 768MB memory and a 160GB HD. A
    > lot faster, but still slow compared to my 2 year old Medion pc with an
    > Intel 630 processor and 1GB memory.
    >
    > Joost

    Ditto, ditch Beagle, it's a slug......Try any other window managers you
    have, it is said that xfce is fleet of foot for example. I like Gnome
    myself but somehow broke it in 10.3 and since decided it can't live with
    Compiz on this version. But then you won't want Compiz anyway so Gnome
    would be good to check out. You may need to go into yast and search for
    window manangers since while there are many choices most are not
    installed by default.
    Little applets that run in the panels usually update themselves
    regularly (like a weather applet for example) so don't load any panel
    applets you don't absolutely love.

  4. Re: speed up PIII

    On Sun, 10 Feb 2008, Joost van der Waa wrote:-

    >d.b. cooper wrote:
    >> Hi, I've got SusE 10.3 running on a PIII with a gig of ram and a
    >>decent nVidia graphics card. I was wondering what I might be able to
    >>do to speed things up a bit. I know there are some services I don't
    >>necessarily need running, but not sure which they are.
    >> Thanks!
    >>

    >Get rid of Beagle search.

    Even better is to never install it in the first place.

    >Otoh, 10.3 is not a very lightweight distro. KDE is rather heavy, and
    >replacing that for another Windowing system will help the most.

    Personally, I don't see much difference between KDE in 10.1, 10.2 or
    10.3. They appear just as fast as each other, although that could be
    because they all are on machines that run at similar speeds (1.6-1.8GHz)
    and with similar amounts of memory (768MB-1GB). The only one that is
    nowhere near the speed of the others is my iMac. While it's noticeably
    slower for things like compiling, is actually quite close in speed with
    the desktop. Then again, I don't do silly things like try watching DVDs
    on it[0] or using things like Open Office.

    As to window managers, there are a few to choose from:

    XFCE is a fast and light-weight window manager. I've used that one
    occasionally and like it quite a lot. It's my second choice for a window
    manager.

    Some people like Gnome, although I don't. To me it appears to be very
    dumbed down, almost making me feel like I'm handling a toy rather than a
    computer. Another bad point, if you're wanting a light-weight window
    manager is that it's not that light-weight. It's not as heavy as KDE
    but, to me, it feels slower than KDE and so there wouldn't be much
    difference between the two.

    There's also Windowmaker which is another light-weight, and fast, window
    manager. Again, some people like it, and others don't. I'm sort of in
    the middle on this one. I've used it quite a few times, but only because
    I couldn't use KDE or XFCE, and I don't like Gnome.

    Those are probably the most common ones, and all of them are supplied on
    the DVD so it's just a matter of installing the required patterns and/or
    packages, and then giving each one a spin. They are easily accessible
    through the "sessions" pop-up menu on the KDM log-in screen.

    [0] I did try it, just to see if it was capable. While it was able to
    play the audio uninterrupted, the video playback resembled a stop-motion
    animation[1], which was quite funny.

    [1] sort of like Morph[2], the plasticine "man" :-)

    [2]

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit | openSUSE 10.3 32bit | openSUSE 11.0a1

  5. Re: speed up PIII

    > Ditto, ditch Beagle, it's a slug......

    Yes indeed. I also wonder what its for. Its not that hard to setup folders
    so that you can remember where you filed things. And KMail is pretty good
    at finding mis-filed emails.

    Beagle seems to me to be a resource hungry solution to a problem that does
    not exist.

    Chris Gordon-Smith
    www.simsoup.info

  6. Re: speed up PIII

    Chris Gordon-Smith wrote:

    >> Ditto, ditch Beagle, it's a slug......

    > Yes indeed. I also wonder what its for. Its not that hard to setup folders
    > so that you can remember where you filed things. And KMail is pretty good
    > at finding mis-filed emails.

    I use grepm http://www.barsnick.net/sw/grepm.html which is a frontend to
    grepmail

    > Beagle seems to me to be a resource hungry solution to a problem that does
    > not exist.

    I agree, yet when you see how much efford so many people (like google)
    put into it, one wonders if we are missing something.

    And obviously ther also is 'locate'

    houghi
    --
    You can have my keyboard ...
    if you can pry it from my dead, cold, stiff fingers

  7. Re: speed up PIII

    On 2008-02-10, houghi wrote:
    > Chris Gordon-Smith wrote:
    >>
    >>> Ditto, ditch Beagle, it's a slug......

    >> Yes indeed. I also wonder what its for. Its not that hard to setup folders
    >> so that you can remember where you filed things. And KMail is pretty good
    >> at finding mis-filed emails.

    > I use grepm http://www.barsnick.net/sw/grepm.html which is a frontend to
    > grepmail
    >
    >> Beagle seems to me to be a resource hungry solution to a problem that does
    >> not exist.

    > I agree, yet when you see how much efford so many people (like google)
    > put into it, one wonders if we are missing something.

    I must be missing something, all the problems with beagle, that is

    I've had zero problems, it consumes 1 to 5 % CPU every once in a while.
    It finds anything in like a second from my three local + three NFS disks.

    The disks alltogether are some two terabytes.

    As for mail, there's a hickup in beagle. It can't handle Thunderbird.
    I get an error if I try to add T-bird to the backends.

    Other than that, it's just fine.

    > And obviously ther also is 'locate'

    How's that?

    man locate
    No manual entry for locate

    locate stuff
    bash: locate: command not found

    #zypper in locate
    package 'locate' not found
    Nothing to do.

    Now, I'm missing something?

    Vahis
    Remodeling my site to train new things:
    http://waxborg.servepics.com
    --
    "The only thing more expensive than training is the lack of it"
    Henry Ford

  8. Re: speed up PIII

    Vahis wrote:
    >> And obviously ther also is 'locate'

    > How's that?
    >
    > man locate
    > No manual entry for locate
    >
    > locate stuff
    > bash: locate: command not found
    >
    > #zypper in locate
    > package 'locate' not found
    > Nothing to do.
    >
    > Now, I'm missing something?

    Yes, the fact that the program os called locate, yet the package is
    called findutils-locate
    That is why I ise `pin` to look for files that might or might not be
    installed. Apaprently you do not have it installed. It is not installed
    by default.

    houghi
    --
    You can have my keyboard ...
    if you can pry it from my dead, cold, stiff fingers

  9. Re: speed up PIII

    In <3yJ$3WHselrHFwrR@dev.null.davjam.org> David Bolt:

    [Snip...]

    > through the "sessions" pop-up menu on the KDM log-in screen

    FWIW...

    I like twm as a lightweight WM; it's available with the KDM session box on
    my 10.0 install (don't know about its availability there after 10.0).

    Customizations (menus, options, etc.) are based on the system twm setup:

    /etc/X11/twm/system.twmrc

    which may be copied to ~/.twmrc and customized per user.

    Another useful twmrc template (my personal preference) is:

    http://www.tecneeq.de/files/dotfiles...arsten/_.twmrc

    HTH...

  10. Re: speed up PIII

    houghi wrote:

    > Vahis wrote:
    >>> And obviously ther also is 'locate'

    >> How's that?
    >>
    >> man locate
    >> No manual entry for locate
    >>
    >> locate stuff
    >> bash: locate: command not found
    >>
    >> #zypper in locate
    >> package 'locate' not found
    >> Nothing to do.
    >>
    >> Now, I'm missing something?

    > Yes, the fact that the program os called locate, yet the package is
    > called findutils-locate
    > That is why I ise `pin` to look for files that might or might not be
    > installed. Apaprently you do not have it installed. It is not installed
    > by default.
    >
    > houghi

    It's worth mentioning that locate comes along with updatedb which you have
    to run in order to have an up-to-date-db where to look for files. This can
    take quite long (not sure if it always updates from scratch), where beagle
    has a sort of incremental index, since it always runs in background. locate
    will only find files, beagle will also find content in emails,
    browser-history, news...

    But don't get me wrong, I find beagle quite annoying. I often encounter
    situations where beagle "assumes" system is idle (IE watching a movie), it
    then starts an infamous beagle-helper, hogs up to 75 % of Memory, swapping
    out all other apps. Stop watching (since 3 fps is no fun) and bring to
    front one of those other memory hogs like java or firefox and watch the
    system get on its knees crying for help (or at least for a fast hd).

+ Reply to Thread