22 inch monitor - Suse

This is a discussion on 22 inch monitor - Suse ; On Sat, 9 Feb 2008 11:53:30 -0800 (PST), Drazen Gemic wrote: >I have new 22 inch Philips monitor. I am able to adjust resolution, >screen size and position in Yast. As soon as I exit to text mode and >start ...

  1. Re: 22 inch monitor

    wrote:

    >I have new 22 inch Philips monitor. I am able to adjust resolution,
    >screen size and position in Yast. As soon as I exit to text mode and
    >start X again it stubbornly falls back to some stupid settings so it
    >fills little more than half of the screen and shifts itself to the
    >left.
    >
    >How can I force it to keep correct settings. I am running SUSE 10.3 64
    >bit with GeForce vga.
    >
    >DG

    If you are under the SuSE supplied Nvidia drivers, I would start by
    installing the nvidia driver from their site.

    Start the machine up in run level 3 after you have the file. You can go
    with their released file or the beta, they both work. You have to have
    the resolutions you desire to operate at in the xorg.conf file, and I
    think that is regardless of what sax2 does. Sax2 is the applet yast runs
    that lets you adjust resolutions.

    Anyway, their is an instructional on the nvidia site as well. Even one
    that allows you to do the upgrade through yast, by adding the nvidia
    server as a data source to your systems settings.

    http://www.suse.de/~sndirsch/nvidia-...ler-HOWTO.html

  2. 22 inch monitor

    I have new 22 inch Philips monitor. I am able to adjust resolution,
    screen size and position in Yast. As soon as I exit to text mode and
    start X again it stubbornly falls back to some stupid settings so it
    fills little more than half of the screen and shifts itself to the
    left.

    How can I force it to keep correct settings. I am running SUSE 10.3 64
    bit with GeForce vga.

    DG

  3. Re: 22 inch monitor

    Drazen Gemic writes:

    >I have new 22 inch Philips monitor. I am able to adjust resolution,
    >screen size and position in Yast. As soon as I exit to text mode and
    >start X again it stubbornly falls back to some stupid settings so it

    /etc/X11/xorg.conf is where the settings are remembered.

    >fills little more than half of the screen and shifts itself to the
    >left.

    >How can I force it to keep correct settings. I am running SUSE 10.3 64
    >bit with GeForce vga.

    >DG

  4. Re: 22 inch monitor

    ChairmanOfTheBored wrote:

    [...]

    > Anyway, their is an instructional on the nvidia site as well. Even one
    > that allows you to do the upgrade through yast, by adding the nvidia
    > server as a data source to your systems settings.
    >
    > http://www.suse.de/~sndirsch/nvidia-...ler-HOWTO.html

    I would recommend doing it this way rather than using the
    driver-installation file from the nvidia site. It may depend upon the
    hardware, but on my Thinkpad T61 the Yast method worked and the
    nvidia-installation file didn't. YMMV, of course.

    --
    Les

  5. Re: 22 inch monitor

    Yes, it was a driver problem. Vendor driver solves it.
    Thanks everyone.

    DG

+ Reply to Thread