Automounting NTFS external USB storage with ntfs-3g - Suse

This is a discussion on Automounting NTFS external USB storage with ntfs-3g - Suse ; I'm writing this in case someone does a Google Groups search about the issue. I've spend the last few hours on how to get external NTFS USB storage mounted with full write support (ntfs-3g) on openSUSE 10.3. I've seen the ...

  1. Automounting NTFS external USB storage with ntfs-3g

    I'm writing this in case someone does a Google Groups search about the
    issue. I've spend the last few hours on how to get external NTFS USB
    storage mounted with full write support (ntfs-3g) on openSUSE 10.3.
    I've seen the past suggestions here too. Basically, it was recommended
    to edit /etc/fstab for this, or create an
    /etc/hal/fdi/policy/preferences.fdi file with hairy, non-straightforward
    settings in it (and I was never able to make it work that way).

    Turns out the solution is simple. Just create a symlink for mount.ntfs.
    In a console, do this:

    cd /sbin
    sudo ln -s mount.ntfs-3g mount.ntfs

    and that's it :P You don't need to reboot or even restart the HAL
    daemon. If you need the old behavior back, simply remove the symlink:

    sudo rm /sbin/mount.ntfs

    Hope this little tip will help people save some of their hair cause I've
    been pulling mine off for the last few hours ;P

  2. Re: Automounting NTFS external USB storage with ntfs-3g

    Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
    > I'm writing this in case someone does a Google Groups search about the
    > issue. I've spend the last few hours on how to get external NTFS USB
    > storage mounted with full write support (ntfs-3g) on openSUSE 10.3. I've
    > seen the past suggestions here too. Basically, it was recommended to
    > edit /etc/fstab for this, or create an
    > /etc/hal/fdi/policy/preferences.fdi file with hairy, non-straightforward
    > settings in it (and I was never able to make it work that way).
    >
    > Turns out the solution is simple. Just create a symlink for mount.ntfs.
    > In a console, do this:
    >
    > cd /sbin
    > sudo ln -s mount.ntfs-3g mount.ntfs
    >
    > and that's it :P You don't need to reboot or even restart the HAL
    > daemon. If you need the old behavior back, simply remove the symlink:
    >
    > sudo rm /sbin/mount.ntfs
    >
    > Hope this little tip will help people save some of their hair cause I've
    > been pulling mine off for the last few hours ;P

    Lately I've seen so many complex answers to problems it makes me sick.

    Yours is a breath of fresh air!! Good job!

  3. Re: Automounting NTFS external USB storage with ntfs-3g

    I believe the correct term is "hotplug" - "automount" is something quite
    different - it allows mounting of a remote filesystem when you want to
    access, and then allowing it to unmount after a period of inactivity.

+ Reply to Thread