truecrypt 5.0 installation problems - Suse

This is a discussion on truecrypt 5.0 installation problems - Suse ; Yesterday, I read that truecrypt 5.0 was out, and no longer had specific kernel dependencies as prior editions had. You may recall that I had used truecrypt a couple of years ago and thought it great UNTIL it would no ...

  1. truecrypt 5.0 installation problems

    Yesterday, I read that truecrypt 5.0 was out, and no longer had specific
    kernel dependencies as prior editions had. You may recall that I had used
    truecrypt a couple of years ago and thought it great UNTIL it would no
    longer function with an updated Linux kernel.

    I downloaded the package, which contains an .rpm, but when I attempted to
    install it with: rpm -i truecrypt-5.0-0.i586.rpm, it gave me the following
    dependency errors:

    error: Failed dependencies:
    libfuse.so.2 is needed by truecrypt-5.0-0.i586
    libfuse.so.2(FUSE_2.2) is needed by truecrypt-5.0-0.i586
    libfuse.so.2(FUSE_2.6) is needed by truecrypt-5.0-0.i586

    Checking with YAST, I already had libfuse installed, and it is in my PATH.
    To eliminate the possibility of more needed and related dependencies,
    I installed three more libfuse items: fuse-devel and libconfuse0 plus
    libconfuse-devel.

    Trying rpm -i truecrypt-5.0-0.i586.rpm once more, I received the same
    dependency errors. I remain "confused."

    Godzilla

  2. Re: truecrypt 5.0 installation problems

    In article <21be5$47ab4b61$cf9b1316$31527@ALLTEL.NET>, Godzilla wrote:
    > Yesterday, I read that truecrypt 5.0 was out, and no longer had specific
    > kernel dependencies as prior editions had. You may recall that I had used
    > truecrypt a couple of years ago and thought it great UNTIL it would no
    > longer function with an updated Linux kernel.
    >
    > I downloaded the package, which contains an .rpm, but when I attempted to
    > install it with: rpm -i truecrypt-5.0-0.i586.rpm, it gave me the following
    > dependency errors:
    >
    > error: Failed dependencies:
    > libfuse.so.2 is needed by truecrypt-5.0-0.i586
    > libfuse.so.2(FUSE_2.2) is needed by truecrypt-5.0-0.i586
    > libfuse.so.2(FUSE_2.6) is needed by truecrypt-5.0-0.i586
    >
    > Checking with YAST, I already had libfuse installed, and it is in my PATH.
    > To eliminate the possibility of more needed and related dependencies,
    > I installed three more libfuse items: fuse-devel and libconfuse0 plus
    > libconfuse-devel.
    >
    > Trying rpm -i truecrypt-5.0-0.i586.rpm once more, I received the same
    > dependency errors. I remain "confused."
    >
    > Godzilla

    This may seem obvious, but what does

    rpm -qa |grep libfuse

    give you? Perhaps the version you installed is not the one that truecrypt
    wants to use.

    W.

  3. Re: truecrypt 5.0 installation problems

    Godzilla wrote:

    > Yesterday, I read that truecrypt 5.0 was out, and no longer had specific
    > kernel dependencies as prior editions had. You may recall that I had used
    > truecrypt a couple of years ago and thought it great UNTIL it would no
    > longer function with an updated Linux kernel.
    >
    > I downloaded the package, which contains an .rpm, but when I attempted to
    > install it with: rpm -i truecrypt-5.0-0.i586.rpm, it gave me the following
    > dependency errors:
    >
    > error: Failed dependencies:
    > libfuse.so.2 is needed by truecrypt-5.0-0.i586
    > libfuse.so.2(FUSE_2.2) is needed by truecrypt-5.0-0.i586
    > libfuse.so.2(FUSE_2.6) is needed by truecrypt-5.0-0.i586
    >
    > Checking with YAST, I already had libfuse installed, and it is in my PATH.
    > To eliminate the possibility of more needed and related dependencies,
    > I installed three more libfuse items: fuse-devel and libconfuse0 plus
    > libconfuse-devel.
    >
    > Trying rpm -i truecrypt-5.0-0.i586.rpm once more, I received the same
    > dependency errors. I remain "confused."
    >
    > Godzilla

    Add these two repo's to your installation sources:

    http://download.opensuse.org/reposit.../openSUSE_10.3
    http://download.opensuse.org/reposit.../openSUSE_10.3

    Then use Yast to install.....

  4. Re: truecrypt 5.0 installation problems

    ---------------------------------------------snip--------------------------------------
    > Then use Yast to install.....

    I should point out that the newer version is not available yet. Should be
    soon though. You can use Yast to install the currently available version
    (4.3axxxxxx) and update to the newer 5.0 series as soon as it's available.
    You may also want to add this repository as well:

    http://download.opensuse.org/reposit.../openSUSE_10.3

  5. Re: truecrypt 5.0 installation problems

    Michael Soibelman wrote:

    > Godzilla wrote:
    >
    >> Yesterday, I read that truecrypt 5.0 was out, and no longer had specific
    >> kernel dependencies as prior editions had. You may recall that I had used
    >> truecrypt a couple of years ago and thought it great UNTIL it would no
    >> longer function with an updated Linux kernel.
    >>
    >> I downloaded the package, which contains an .rpm, but when I attempted to
    >> install it with: rpm -i truecrypt-5.0-0.i586.rpm, it gave me the
    >> following dependency errors:
    >>
    >> error: Failed dependencies:
    >> libfuse.so.2 is needed by truecrypt-5.0-0.i586
    >> libfuse.so.2(FUSE_2.2) is needed by truecrypt-5.0-0.i586
    >> libfuse.so.2(FUSE_2.6) is needed by truecrypt-5.0-0.i586
    >>
    >> Checking with YAST, I already had libfuse installed, and it is in my
    >> PATH. To eliminate the possibility of more needed and related
    >> dependencies, I installed three more libfuse items: fuse-devel and
    >> libconfuse0 plus libconfuse-devel.
    >>
    >> Trying rpm -i truecrypt-5.0-0.i586.rpm once more, I received the same
    >> dependency errors. I remain "confused."
    >>
    >> Godzilla

    > Add these two repo's to your installation sources:
    >
    > http://download.opensuse.org/reposit.../openSUSE_10.3
    > http://download.opensuse.org/reposit.../openSUSE_10.3
    >
    > Then use Yast to install.....

    Thanks for the input. After adding the repo's that you gave, YAST did find
    TrueCrypt. However, it was only the old version 4.3a which had specific
    kernel version dependencies. If my kernel gets updated again (as I am
    certain that it will) I will be back to square one with a TrueCrypt which
    cannot function. I will just have to be patient and wait for version 5.0 to
    appear in the repo's.

    Thanks again,

    Godzilla

  6. Re: truecrypt 5.0 installation problems

    Godzilla wrote:

    > Yesterday, I read that truecrypt 5.0 was out, and no longer had specific
    > kernel dependencies as prior editions had. You may recall that I had used
    > truecrypt a couple of years ago and thought it great UNTIL it would no
    > longer function with an updated Linux kernel.

    reminds me that I wanted to test it and I never got around to actualy
    doing that. Sorry.

    > I downloaded the package, which contains an .rpm, but when I attempted to
    > install it with: rpm -i truecrypt-5.0-0.i586.rpm, it gave me the following
    > dependency errors:
    >
    > error: Failed dependencies:
    > libfuse.so.2 is needed by truecrypt-5.0-0.i586
    > libfuse.so.2(FUSE_2.2) is needed by truecrypt-5.0-0.i586
    > libfuse.so.2(FUSE_2.6) is needed by truecrypt-5.0-0.i586
    >
    > Checking with YAST, I already had libfuse installed, and it is in my PATH.
    > To eliminate the possibility of more needed and related dependencies,
    > I installed three more libfuse items: fuse-devel and libconfuse0 plus
    > libconfuse-devel.
    >
    > Trying rpm -i truecrypt-5.0-0.i586.rpm once more, I received the same
    > dependency errors. I remain "confused."

    Could you try to compile it yourself? Otherwise you could wait a bit
    till it is available directly for openSUSE from
    http://packages.opensuse-community.org

    Talking about that site. Anybody knows how I could save an RPM if I find
    it there?

    houghi
    --

    for I in `find /usr/src/linux/ -name *.c`; \
    do A=`grep -i -A 1 -B 1 **** $I`;if [ "$A" != "" ]; \
    then printf "$I \n$A \n\n"; fi ;done|less

  7. Re: truecrypt 5.0 installation problems

    Michael Soibelman wrote:
    > http://download.opensuse.org/reposit.../openSUSE_10.3
    > http://download.opensuse.org/reposit.../openSUSE_10.3
    >
    > Then use Yast to install.....

    Then have truecrypt 4.3, while the point was getting truecrypt 5.0. ;-)
    http://www.truecrypt.org/news.php

    houghi
    --

    for I in `find /usr/src/linux/ -name *.c`; \
    do A=`grep -i -A 1 -B 1 **** $I`;if [ "$A" != "" ]; \
    then printf "$I \n$A \n\n"; fi ;done|less

  8. Re: truecrypt 5.0 installation problems

    Michael Soibelman wrote:

    > ---------------------------------------------snip--------------------------------------
    >> Then use Yast to install.....

    > I should point out that the newer version is not available yet.

    .... from openSUSE. It is available from the official website,

    houghi
    --

    for I in `find /usr/src/linux/ -name *.c`; \
    do A=`grep -i -A 1 -B 1 **** $I`;if [ "$A" != "" ]; \
    then printf "$I \n$A \n\n"; fi ;done|less

  9. Re: truecrypt 5.0 installation problems

    Godzilla wrote:

    > Yesterday, I read that truecrypt 5.0 was out, and no longer had specific
    > kernel dependencies as prior editions had. You may recall that I had used
    > truecrypt a couple of years ago and thought it great UNTIL it would no
    > longer function with an updated Linux kernel.
    >
    > I downloaded the package, which contains an .rpm, but when I attempted to
    > install it with: rpm -i truecrypt-5.0-0.i586.rpm, it gave me the following
    > dependency errors:
    >
    > error: Failed dependencies:
    > libfuse.so.2 is needed by truecrypt-5.0-0.i586
    > libfuse.so.2(FUSE_2.2) is needed by truecrypt-5.0-0.i586
    > libfuse.so.2(FUSE_2.6) is needed by truecrypt-5.0-0.i586
    >
    > Checking with YAST, I already had libfuse installed, and it is in my PATH.
    > To eliminate the possibility of more needed and related dependencies,
    > I installed three more libfuse items: fuse-devel and libconfuse0 plus
    > libconfuse-devel.
    >
    > Trying rpm -i truecrypt-5.0-0.i586.rpm once more, I received the same
    > dependency errors. I remain "confused."
    >
    > Godzilla

    Disregarding my other posts I downloaded the package from the web site and
    it installed/runs o.k. So it seems you need to update your libfuse. This
    is updateable from one of the repo's I mentioned in my other post:

    http://download.opensuse.org/reposit.../openSUSE_10.3

    So update that and then use the rpm from the truecrypt website.

    Let us know if that works for you.

    P.S. The above repo has libfuse2-2.7.2-2.1 which contains:

    /lib/libfuse.so.2
    /lib/libfuse.so.2.7.2

  10. Re: truecrypt 5.0 installation problems

    Michael Soibelman wrote:
    > Disregarding my other posts I downloaded the package from the web site and
    > it installed/runs o.k. So it seems you need to update your libfuse. This
    > is updateable from one of the repo's I mentioned in my other post:
    >
    > http://download.opensuse.org/reposit.../openSUSE_10.3
    >
    > So update that and then use the rpm from the truecrypt website.
    >
    > Let us know if that works for you.

    Well, it does not for me. I did the update from 2.7.0 to 2.7.2 and get:
    root@penne : rpm -Uvh truecrypt-5.0-0.i586.rpm
    error: Failed dependencies:
    fuse is needed by truecrypt-5.0-0.i586

    So I needed to install fuse as well. Then you get o working instalation.

    As that worked, what I did was remove the 2.7.2 and deactivated the
    above repo. Re-installed fuse and libfuse as they are default. So 2.7.0

    Then tried again and that worked as well.

    So it seems that you just need to add fuse and you can install the
    package:

    root@penne : rpm -qa fuse
    fuse-2.7.0-22
    root@penne : rpm -qa libfuse2
    libfuse2-2.7.0-22
    root@penne : rpm -Uvh truecrypt-5.0-0.i586.rpm
    Preparing... ##################################### [100%]
    1:truecrypt ##################################### [100%]

    I prefere to have as little repo's as possible and that was why I
    started looking for this.

    houghi
    --
    ________________________ Open your eyes, open your mind
    | proud like a god don't pretend to be blind
    | trapped in yourself, break out instead
    http://openSUSE.org | beat the machine that works in your head

  11. Re: truecrypt 5.0 installation problems

    houghi wrote:
    > I prefere to have as little repo's as possible and that was why I
    > started looking for this.

    Completely no information on what to do on Linux. So I ssh to my home
    and try it:
    houghi@penne : truecrypt --help
    Error: Unable to initialize gtk, is DISPLAY set properly?

    WTF? gtk? DISPLAY? That means GUI. Why would I want to do it with a GUI?

    houghi
    --
    ________________________ Open your eyes, open your mind
    | proud like a god don't pretend to be blind
    | trapped in yourself, break out instead
    http://openSUSE.org | beat the machine that works in your head

  12. Re: truecrypt 5.0 installation problems

    houghi wrote:

    > houghi wrote:
    >> I prefere to have as little repo's as possible and that was why I
    >> started looking for this.

    > Completely no information on what to do on Linux. So I ssh to my home
    > and try it:
    > houghi@penne : truecrypt --help
    > Error: Unable to initialize gtk, is DISPLAY set properly?
    >
    > WTF? gtk? DISPLAY? That means GUI. Why would I want to do it with a GUI?
    >
    > houghi

    It would seem that the developers are not as versed in the protocols of
    Linux as they are in Windows. That would explain why the files that they
    have on their site for downloading have spaces between the words. :-(

    Godzilla

  13. Re: truecrypt 5.0 installation problems

    Godzilla wrote:
    > It would seem that the developers are not as versed in the protocols of
    > Linux as they are in Windows. That would explain why the files that they
    > have on their site for downloading have spaces between the words. :-(

    They have a whole explanation for CLI under Windows, yet nothing for
    Linux? I looked if I could comile it myself, but it needed some xWiget
    (or whatever the name was) and I am too lazy to first compile that.

    The reason I have not looked deeper into it, because even then I am not
    sure wether it will work without GUI.

    I could obviously re-write the whole thing and make a YaST thing (what
    are those called) out of it. Or I could just wait till somebody else
    does it. :-D

    houghi
    --
    ________________________ Open your eyes, open your mind
    | proud like a god don't pretend to be blind
    | trapped in yourself, break out instead
    http://openSUSE.org | beat the machine that works in your head

  14. Re: truecrypt 5.0 installation problems

    houghi wrote:

    > Godzilla wrote:
    >> It would seem that the developers are not as versed in the protocols of
    >> Linux as they are in Windows. That would explain why the files that they
    >> have on their site for downloading have spaces between the words. :-(

    > They have a whole explanation for CLI under Windows, yet nothing for
    > Linux? I looked if I could comile it myself, but it needed some xWiget
    > (or whatever the name was) and I am too lazy to first compile that.
    >
    > The reason I have not looked deeper into it, because even then I am not
    > sure wether it will work without GUI.
    >
    > I could obviously re-write the whole thing and make a YaST thing (what
    > are those called) out of it. Or I could just wait till somebody else
    > does it. :-D
    >
    > houghi

    After you compile it so that YAST can handle it, Houghi, I am ready to
    download. ;-)

    Godzilla

  15. Re: truecrypt 5.0 installation problems

    houghi wrote:

    > Godzilla wrote:
    >> It would seem that the developers are not as versed in the protocols of
    >> Linux as they are in Windows. That would explain why the files that they
    >> have on their site for downloading have spaces between the words. :-(

    > They have a whole explanation for CLI under Windows, yet nothing for
    > Linux? I looked if I could comile it myself, but it needed some xWiget
    > (or whatever the name was) and I am too lazy to first compile that.
    >
    > The reason I have not looked deeper into it, because even then I am not
    > sure wether it will work without GUI.

    It starts up as GUI nicely. The I want to make a hidden partition and it
    tells me that the feature is not suported for my platform.

    So not only are they idiots for not making a CLI version for Linux, they
    are also idiots for not making the one feature that makes it stand above
    the rest unavailable.

    So truecrypt is out, untill the idiots have repaired their stupidity.
    So what else is there?
    http://www.debianadmin.com/filesyste...for-linux.html

    houghi
    --
    You can have my keyboard ...
    if you can pry it from my dead, cold, stiff fingers

  16. Re: truecrypt 5.0 installation problems

    * houghi (Fri, 8 Feb 2008 10:05:12 +0100)
    > houghi wrote:
    > > I prefere to have as little repo's as possible and that was why I
    > > started looking for this.

    > Completely no information on what to do on Linux. So I ssh to my
    > home and try it:
    > houghi@penne : truecrypt --help
    > Error: Unable to initialize gtk, is DISPLAY set properly?
    >
    > WTF? gtk? DISPLAY? That means GUI. Why would I want to do it with a
    > GUI?

    Got the same error (under Gentoo). Then I ran "truecrypt -d [...]"
    from the KDE GUI ([Alt]+[F2]) and a nice GUI opened. I entered the
    password for the crypted file, and another password prompt opened (for
    the kernel module?) and I received the error that /sudo/ needs a tty.
    Man, this really sucks.

    Thorsten

  17. Re: truecrypt 5.0 installation problems

    > So truecrypt is out, untill the idiots have repaired their stupidity.
    > So what else is there?
    > http://www.debianadmin.com/filesyste...for-linux.html
    >
    > houghi

    Check out cryptmount. Makes it easy to setup a dmcrypt loopback file, and to
    mount/unmount without super user.

    "DESCRIPTION
    cryptmount allows a user to mount an encrypted filing system without
    requiring superuser privileges, and assists the superuser in creating
    new encrypted filesystems."

    Downside is I don't think theres any way to make it work with Windows.

  18. Re: truecrypt 5.0 installation problems

    shebble wrote:
    > > So truecrypt is out, untill the idiots have repaired their stupidity.
    >> So what else is there?
    >> http://www.debianadmin.com/filesyste...for-linux.html
    >>
    >> houghi

    > Check out cryptmount. Makes it easy to setup a dmcrypt loopback file, and to
    > mount/unmount without super user.

    The huge advantage of truecrypt is that it can make a hidden partition.
    As people who go to the US are forced to give up all their data at the
    border, this is a great way to give them only boring data and not the
    terrorist attack plans you have on your laptop.

    As that is the only way to get data in to the US, it is very good that
    they check that. I can think of no other way to do that. Well, short of
    encrypting a message, put that in an image or a series of images, post
    that to a binaries group (see that it is on topic) like
    alt.binaries.pictures.wallpaper(s), which gives you also no link between
    the sender and the potential reciever.

    So, yes, if I would be forced to go to the US, I would still use
    truecrypt, even if it only allows GUI for now, or use 4.3.

    houghi
    --
    You tried, and you failed, so the lesson is, never try. - Homer J. Simpson.

+ Reply to Thread