Zypper - Suse

This is a discussion on Zypper - Suse ; What command can I use to make zypper run in the background at a lower priority? When I start my system that hogs the processor and slows everything down. -- Blattus Slafaly ? 3 7/8...

  1. Zypper

    --
    Blattus Slafaly ? 3 7/8

  2. Re: Zypper

    Blattus Slafaly 0/00 wrote:
    > What command can I use to make zypper run in the background at a lower
    > priority? When I start my system that hogs the processor and slows
    > everything down.

    Uninstalling the online update applet that hangs on the
    "system tray" is the first thing I do on every new installation :P It
    is responsible for the slow down. If you don't want to check for online
    updates through YaST but prefer this applet, I think you can configure
    it to not start automatically at login.

  3. Re: Zypper

    Blattus Slafaly 0/00 wrote:
    > What command can I use to make zypper run in the background at a lower
    > priority? When I start my system that hogs the processor and slows
    > everything down.

    Look at `man nice`

    houghi
    --

    for I in `find /usr/src/linux/ -name *.c`; \
    do A=`grep -i -A 1 -B 1 **** $I`;if [ "$A" != "" ]; \
    then printf "$I \n$A \n\n"; fi ;done|less

  4. Re: Zypper

    houghi wrote:
    > Blattus Slafaly 0/00 wrote:
    >> What command can I use to make zypper run in the background at a lower
    >> priority? When I start my system that hogs the processor and slows
    >> everything down.

    > Look at `man nice`

    Better yet 'man renice', because zypper will be already running.

  5. Re: Zypper

    Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
    > houghi wrote:
    >> Blattus Slafaly 0/00 wrote:
    >>> What command can I use to make zypper run in the background at a lower
    >>> priority? When I start my system that hogs the processor and slows
    >>> everything down.

    >> Look at `man nice`

    > Better yet 'man renice', because zypper will be already running.

    I went for `nice` so the startup, where the problem apears to be, can be
    changed so that it runs nice from the get-go.

    houghi
    --

    for I in `find /usr/src/linux/ -name *.c`; \
    do A=`grep -i -A 1 -B 1 **** $I`;if [ "$A" != "" ]; \
    then printf "$I \n$A \n\n"; fi ;done|less

  6. Re: Zypper

    houghi wrote:
    > Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
    >> houghi wrote:
    >>> Look at `man nice`

    >> Better yet 'man renice', because zypper will be already running.

    > I went for `nice` so the startup, where the problem apears to be, can be
    > changed so that it runs nice from the get-go.
    >
    > houghi

    zypper is started by opensuseupdater-kde (which is a binary). How would one go
    about "niceing" zypper or opensuseupdater-kde for that matter. I can not
    find a reference to either in /etc/init.d/*

  7. Re: Zypper

    Jay Rohr wrote:
    > zypper is started by opensuseupdater-kde (which is a binary). How would one go
    > about "niceing" zypper or opensuseupdater-kde for that matter. I can not
    > find a reference to either in /etc/init.d/*

    I must admid, I did not realy looked into it. I do not use the program.
    I do not run KDE (or GNOME) so I have solved the problem in a much
    superior way. :-D

    houghi
    --

    for I in `find /usr/src/linux/ -name *.c`; \
    do A=`grep -i -A 1 -B 1 **** $I`;if [ "$A" != "" ]; \
    then printf "$I \n$A \n\n"; fi ;done|less

  8. Re: Zypper

    Blattus Slafaly ? wrote:
    > houghi wrote:
    >> Blattus Slafaly 0/00 wrote:
    >>> What command can I use to make zypper run in the background at a lower
    >>> priority? When I start my system that hogs the processor and slows
    >>> everything down.

    >> Look at `man nice`
    >>
    >> houghi

    > I was thinking along the lines of:
    >
    > % sleep 1000 (1000 is the process going to sleep)
    > % bg ( puts it in the background)
    >
    > %jobs ( shows list of jobs )
    >
    > % fg % jobnumber ( puts it back in the foreground )
    >
    > % fg %1 ( Restarts job number 1)

    Then `renice` is the better way to do it. That way it will still run,
    but won't bother you.

    houghi
    --

    for I in `find /usr/src/linux/ -name *.c`; \
    do A=`grep -i -A 1 -B 1 **** $I`;if [ "$A" != "" ]; \
    then printf "$I \n$A \n\n"; fi ;done|less

  9. Re: Zypper

    houghi wrote:
    > Blattus Slafaly £ ¥ 0/00 wrote:
    >> What command can I use to make zypper run in the background at a lower
    >> priority? When I start my system that hogs the processor and slows
    >> everything down.

    > Look at `man nice`
    >
    > houghi

    I was thinking along the lines of:

    % sleep 1000 (1000 is the process going to sleep)
    % bg ( puts it in the background)

    %jobs ( shows list of jobs )

    % fg % jobnumber ( puts it back in the foreground )

    % fg %1 ( Restarts job number 1)

    --
    Blattus Slafaly ف ٣

  10. Re: Zypper

    On Thu, 07 Feb 2008 09:17:26 -0500, Blattus Slafaly £ ¥ 0/00 typed this
    message:

    > What command can I use to make zypper run in the background at a lower
    > priority? When I start my system that hogs the processor and slows
    > everything down.

    First turn off automatic updates, leave warn you updates are available.

    I run zypper in a weekly root cron job that skips the update when an
    interactive update needs to take place, otherwise it applies the updates.

    /usr/bin/zypper list-updates
    /usr/bin/zypper patches
    /usr/bin/zypper -n update

+ Reply to Thread