nss_ldap-253-19.4 wtf? - Suse

This is a discussion on nss_ldap-253-19.4 wtf? - Suse ; The recent automatic update on openSuSE 10.2 to nss_ldap-253-19.4 has messed up my LDAP-PAM configuration almost completely. Users are not able to log in on a shell any more. However, I'm not able to find any documentation on the update ...

  1. nss_ldap-253-19.4 wtf?

    The recent automatic update on openSuSE 10.2 to nss_ldap-253-19.4 has
    messed up my LDAP-PAM configuration almost completely. Users are not
    able to log in on a shell any more. However, I'm not able to find any
    documentation on the update neither at novell.com nor at opensuse or on
    the relevant mailing lists.
    Did anyone have similar experiences? Wtf is this new library supposed to
    fix?
    As a quick and dirty fix I replaced /lib/libnss_ldap.so.2 with the
    version from the installation source. Seems to work up to now.

    GŁnther

  2. Re: nss_ldap-253-19.4 wtf?

    On 7 fťv, 00:16, GŁnther Schwarz wrote:
    > The recent automatic update on openSuSE 10.2 to nss_ldap-253-19.4 has
    > messed up my LDAP-PAM configuration almost completely. Users are not
    > able to log in on a shell any more. However, I'm not able to find any
    > documentation on the update neither at novell.com nor at opensuse or on
    > the relevant mailing lists.
    > Did anyone have similar experiences? Wtf is this new library supposed to
    > fix?
    > As a quick and dirty fix I replaced /lib/libnss_ldap.so.2 with the
    > version from the installation source. Seems to work up to now.
    >
    > GŁnther

    Don't know if it'll help but I had trouble with this update to: my
    dhcpd service didn't work anymore (start normally before die
    silently) after this update.

    I replace nss_ldap-253-19.4 with the previews nss_ldap-253-19.1
    version and dhcpd got ok again. But of course this is not an
    acceptable solution.

  3. Re: nss_ldap-253-19.4 wtf?

    pellice@gmail.com wrote:

    > On 7 fťv, 00:16, GŁnther Schwarz wrote:
    >> The recent automatic update on openSuSE 10.2 to nss_ldap-253-19.4 has
    >> messed up my LDAP-PAM configuration almost completely. Users are not
    >> able to log in on a shell any more. However, I'm not able to find any
    >> documentation on the update neither at novell.com nor at opensuse or
    >> on the relevant mailing lists.
    >> Did anyone have similar experiences? Wtf is this new library supposed
    >> to fix?
    >> As a quick and dirty fix I replaced /lib/libnss_ldap.so.2 with the
    >> version from the installation source. Seems to work up to now.

    > Don't know if it'll help but I had trouble with this update to: my
    > dhcpd service didn't work anymore (start normally before die
    > silently) after this update.
    >
    > I replace nss_ldap-253-19.4 with the previews nss_ldap-253-19.1
    > version and dhcpd got ok again. But of course this is not an
    > acceptable solution.

    Dhcp is configured simply by a file here. I do not see the point in
    using name services in a small network with a single dhcp server. But
    it is the only service that's works reliably at the moment. LDAP-PAM is
    a mess. The most weird thing was a machine resolving root to some UID
    other than 0. This has funny effects :-)
    I'm waiting now for the service crew to contact Novell as I do not have
    direct support from them.
    BTW, since my last post in this thread Novell published the
    documentation for the patch (CVE-2007-5794). Seems to be broken anyway.
    Shutting down nscd solves some of the problems and might be worth a
    try. But this is strictly experimental.

    GŁnther

  4. Re: nss_ldap-253-19.4 wtf?

    GŁnther Schwarz wrote:

    > pellice@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    >> On 7 fťv, 00:16, GŁnther Schwarz wrote:
    >>> The recent automatic update on openSuSE 10.2 to nss_ldap-253-19.4
    >>> has messed up my LDAP-PAM configuration almost completely.

    > BTW, since my last post in this thread Novell published the
    > documentation for the patch (CVE-2007-5794). Seems to be broken
    > anyway. Shutting down nscd solves some of the problems and might be
    > worth a try. But this is strictly experimental.

    Yesterday Novell released nss_ldap-253-19.6 as a replacement for the
    defective update. The situation has much improved now :-)

    GŁnther

+ Reply to Thread