Rebooting to windows - Suse

This is a discussion on Rebooting to windows - Suse ; In Suse 9.3 there used to be a reboot dialog where you could choose which one of the grub booting options you would like to reboot to. If you eg. chose "Windows" it would automatically reboot to Windows without stopping ...

  1. Rebooting to windows

    In Suse 9.3 there used to be a reboot dialog where you could choose
    which one of the grub booting options you would like to reboot to. If
    you eg. chose "Windows" it would automatically reboot to Windows without
    stopping at the grub bootloader screen.

    Now I can't see such an option anymore. Now if I want to boot to
    windows I have to reboot and wait for the grub screen to appear and then
    manually select Windows.

    Is there any way of getting that old functionality back?

  2. Re: Rebooting to windows

    Juha Nieminen wrote:
    > In Suse 9.3 there used to be a reboot dialog where you could choose
    > which one of the grub booting options you would like to reboot to. If
    > you eg. chose "Windows" it would automatically reboot to Windows without
    > stopping at the grub bootloader screen.
    >
    > Now I can't see such an option anymore. Now if I want to boot to
    > windows I have to reboot and wait for the grub screen to appear and then
    > manually select Windows.
    >
    > Is there any way of getting that old functionality back?

    Dear Juha,

    Do you mean you like to set the default boot option in
    /boot/grub/menu.lst to Windows?

    You need to change the number after default is.

    Remember titles are counted from 0.

    Kind regards,

    Jan Gerrit Kootstra

  3. Re: Rebooting to windows

    Juha Nieminen wrote:
    > In Suse 9.3 there used to be a reboot dialog where you could choose
    > which one of the grub booting options you would like to reboot to. If
    > you eg. chose "Windows" it would automatically reboot to Windows without
    > stopping at the grub bootloader screen.
    >
    > Now I can't see such an option anymore. Now if I want to boot to
    > windows I have to reboot and wait for the grub screen to appear and then
    > manually select Windows.
    >
    > Is there any way of getting that old functionality back?

    It's still there. Simply press and *hold* the mouse button on the
    "Restart Computer" button in the KDE logout dialog. A menu will appear
    where you choose the OS to boot into.

    Dunno if it's the same in Gnome though.

  4. Re: Rebooting to windows

    On Tue, 5 Feb 2008, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:-

    >It's still there. Simply press and *hold* the mouse button on the
    >"Restart Computer" button in the KDE logout dialog. A menu will appear
    >where you choose the OS to boot into.

    That doesn't quite work with my systems. However, clicking and holding
    on the triangle on the buttons does pop up the menu.

    >Dunno if it's the same in Gnome though.

    There's people that really use Gnome? ;-)

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit | openSUSE 10.3 32bit | openSUSE 11.0a1

  5. Re: Rebooting to windows

    David Bolt wrote:
    >>Dunno if it's the same in Gnome though.

    > There's people that really use Gnome? ;-)

    About 70% use KDE and 20% use GNOME. These are numbers I read in one of
    the RSS feeds.

    It is strange that many people still think that if many people use
    something, it must be better. The fact that most of us use Linux instead
    of Windows proves that that is not the case.

    houghi
    --
    Listen do you hear them drawing near in their search for the sinners?
    Feeding on the power of our fear and the evil within us.

  6. Re: Rebooting to windows

    houghi wrote:
    > David Bolt wrote:
    >>> Dunno if it's the same in Gnome though.

    >> There's people that really use Gnome? ;-)

    > About 70% use KDE and 20% use GNOME. These are numbers I read in one of
    > the RSS feeds.

    According to the 2007 Linux Desktop Survey, 45% use Gnome and 35% KDE.
    And it's logical if you ask me, since Ubuntu is the most widely used
    distro and comes with Gnome.

  7. Re: Rebooting to windows

    houghi wrote:
    > David Bolt wrote:
    >>> Dunno if it's the same in Gnome though.

    >> There's people that really use Gnome? ;-)

    > About 70% use KDE and 20% use GNOME. These are numbers I read in one of
    > the RSS feeds.

    According to the 2007 Linux Desktop Survey, 45% use Gnome and 35% KDE.
    And it's logical if you ask me, since Ubuntu is the most widely used
    distro and comes with Gnome.

    http://anemoessa.math.aegean.gr/foru...opic,70.0.html

  8. Re: Rebooting to windows

    Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
    > houghi wrote:
    >>> There's people that really use Gnome? ;-)

    >> About 70% use KDE and 20% use GNOME. These are numbers I read in one of
    >> the RSS feeds.

    > According to the 2007 Linux Desktop Survey, 45% use Gnome and 35% KDE.
    > And it's logical if you ask me, since Ubuntu is the most widely used
    > distro and comes with Gnome.
    >
    > http://anemoessa.math.aegean.gr/foru...opic,70.0.html

    Oops, that was the wrong link. Here's the right one:

  9. Re: Rebooting to windows

    Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
    >> About 70% use KDE and 20% use GNOME. These are numbers I read in one of
    >> the RSS feeds.

    > According to the 2007 Linux Desktop Survey, 45% use Gnome and 35% KDE.
    > And it's logical if you ask me, since Ubuntu is the most widely used
    > distro and comes with Gnome.

    The numbers I gave are SUSE/openSUSE specific. As this is a SUSE group,
    those are the relevant numbers. What others use, I do not care about.
    The majority is Windows version whatever. ;-)

    houghi
    --
    Listen do you hear them drawing near in their search for the sinners?
    Feeding on the power of our fear and the evil within us.
    Incarnation of Satan's creation of all that we dread.
    When the demons arrive those alive would be better off dead!

  10. Re: Rebooting to windows

    Jan Gerrit Kootstra wrote:
    > Do you mean you like to set the default boot option in
    > /boot/grub/menu.lst to Windows?

    No. Defaulting to Suse is just fine. However, from Suse (KDE) I would
    like to be, once again, able to reboot directly to Windows, like it used
    to be possible.

  11. Re: Rebooting to windows

    Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
    > It's still there. Simply press and *hold* the mouse button on the
    > "Restart Computer" button in the KDE logout dialog.

    Well, it's not. It used to be there when I was still using Suse 9.3,
    but it just isn't there anymore. The dialog looks like this:

    http://warp.povusers.org/snaps/logout_snapshot.png

    The "Restart Computer" button has no submenu, and nothing happens even
    if I click&hold it. I can't find such options anywhere else either (eg.
    in the "Leave" tab of the KDE panel menu).

  12. Re: Rebooting to windows

    Juha Nieminen wrote:
    > Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
    >> It's still there. Simply press and *hold* the mouse button on the
    >> "Restart Computer" button in the KDE logout dialog.

    > Well, it's not. It used to be there when I was still using Suse 9.3,
    > but it just isn't there anymore. The dialog looks like this:
    >
    > http://warp.povusers.org/snaps/logout_snapshot.png
    >
    > The "Restart Computer" button has no submenu, and nothing happens even
    > if I click&hold it. I can't find such options anywhere else either (eg.
    > in the "Leave" tab of the KDE panel menu).

    Weird. If I click&hold, I see this:

    http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/2323/logouttl3.png

    Someone here mentioned that it doesn't work for him if he doesn't
    click&hold *on the icon* on the "Restart Computer" button; maybe try that.

    Note that I'm using KDE 3.5.8 though, not the default 3.5.7 shipped with
    openSUSE 10.3. But AFAIK, it should be the same with 3.5.7.

  13. Re: Rebooting to windows

    Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
    > Someone here mentioned that it doesn't work for him if he doesn't
    > click&hold *on the icon* on the "Restart Computer" button; maybe try that.

    It doesn't make any difference.

  14. Re: Rebooting to windows

    Juha Nieminen wrote:

    > In Suse 9.3 there used to be a reboot dialog where you could choose
    > which one of the grub booting options you would like to reboot to. If
    > you eg. chose "Windows" it would automatically reboot to Windows without
    > stopping at the grub bootloader screen.
    >
    > Now I can't see such an option anymore. Now if I want to boot to
    > windows I have to reboot and wait for the grub screen to appear and then
    > manually select Windows.
    >
    > Is there any way of getting that old functionality back?

    check in yast - system - bootloader if windows if listed.
    or make a new bootloader.
    --
    EOS
    www.photo-memories.be

  15. Re: Rebooting to windows

    Juha Nieminen wrote:
    > Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
    >> Someone here mentioned that it doesn't work for him if he doesn't
    >> click&hold *on the icon* on the "Restart Computer" button; maybe try that.

    > It doesn't make any difference.

    You must have an entry in /boot/grub/menu.lst that can boot Windows.
    Is GRUB using the menu.lst entry from there?

    --
    Virg Wall

  16. Re: Rebooting to windows

    VWWall wrote:
    > You must have an entry in /boot/grub/menu.lst that can boot Windows.

    Obviously there is, or else I wouldn't be able to boot to Windows. The
    entry in question looks like:

    title Windows
    rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    chainloader (hd0,0)+1

    > Is GRUB using the menu.lst entry from there?

    Grub is working just fine. I'm not sure it's a problem with grub so
    much as some weird problem with KDE (or something else).

  17. Re: Rebooting to windows

    EOS wrote:
    > check in yast - system - bootloader if windows if listed.

    It is listed alright.

    But hey, I tried "touching" it by simply changing the order of the
    elements there and then back and then clicking 'Finish' (making Yast
    rewrite that file), and now the reboot button is working as it should.
    Maybe there were some extraneous garbage left over from the Suse 9.3 ->
    10.2 upgrade which messed up things. Now it seems to be working again.

  18. Re: Rebooting to windows

    Juha Nieminen wrote:
    > EOS wrote:
    >> check in yast - system - bootloader if windows if listed.

    > It is listed alright.
    >
    > But hey, I tried "touching" it by simply changing the order of the
    > elements there and then back and then clicking 'Finish' (making Yast
    > rewrite that file), and now the reboot button is working as it should.
    > Maybe there were some extraneous garbage left over from the Suse 9.3 ->
    > 10.2 upgrade which messed up things. Now it seems to be working again.

    Gah, I think you never mentioned it was an install over an existing 9.3,
    lol. AFAIK, only 10.1 -> 10.2 is supported. I guess many things won't
    be working as they should with a 9.3 -> 10.2.

  19. Re: Rebooting to windows

    Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
    > Gah, I think you never mentioned it was an install over an existing 9.3,
    > lol. AFAIK, only 10.1 -> 10.2 is supported. I guess many things won't
    > be working as they should with a 9.3 -> 10.2.

    This seems to be the only glitch I have found so far from that upgrade.

    What I find interesting is that the upgrading process did re-create
    that grub file (eg. it mentions "OpenSuse 10.2" instead of "Suse 9.3" as
    the old one did), yet it had this strange problem.

+ Reply to Thread