a part-time SuSE Linux consulting opportunity in Cambridge, MA, USA - Suse

This is a discussion on a part-time SuSE Linux consulting opportunity in Cambridge, MA, USA - Suse ; Hello all, I work at a research lab which is affiliated with Harvard, MIT and Partners Healthcare. We basically a pretty technically-savvy but for some really twisted SuSE issues we may need some outside help from time to time. Hence ...

  1. a part-time SuSE Linux consulting opportunity in Cambridge, MA, USA

    Hello all,

    I work at a research lab which is affiliated with Harvard, MIT and
    Partners Healthcare. We basically a pretty technically-savvy but for
    some really twisted SuSE issues we may need some outside help from
    time to time. Hence this opportunity for somebody who is really
    experienced specifically with SuSE.

    See the following link for details:
    http://technonutsnbolts.blogspot.com...lp-wanted.html

    Boris.

  2. Re: a part-time SuSE Linux consulting opportunity in Cambridge, MA, USA

    ["Followup-To:" header set to alt.os.linux.suse.]
    borepstein@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hello all,
    >
    > I work at a research lab which is affiliated with Harvard, MIT and
    > Partners Healthcare. We basically a pretty technically-savvy but for
    > some really twisted SuSE issues we may need some outside help from
    > time to time. Hence this opportunity for somebody who is really
    > experienced specifically with SuSE.

    Some free advice: It is SUSE and openSUSE. It has been like that for
    several versions now. I see on your site that you are aware of the
    difference between SUSE and openSUSE.

    Pity that yu do not go into any detail what you are lookin for
    specificaly. This could be anything. Changing the colors of your
    desktop, making a personalised instalation, writing YaST applications,
    making RPMs, ...

    houghi
    --

    This space left blank intentionaly

  3. Re: a part-time SuSE Linux consulting opportunity in Cambridge, MA,USA

    On Feb 4, 3:53 pm, houghi wrote:
    > ["Followup-To:" header set to alt.os.linux.suse.]
    >
    > borepst...@gmail.com wrote:
    > > Hello all,

    > > I work at a research lab which is affiliated with Harvard, MIT and
    > > Partners Healthcare. We basically a pretty technically-savvy but for
    > > some really twisted SuSE issues we may need some outside help from
    > > time to time. Hence this opportunity for somebody who is really
    > > experienced specifically with SuSE.

    > Some free advice: It is SUSE and openSUSE. It has been like that for
    > several versions now. I see on your site that you are aware of the
    > difference between SUSE and openSUSE.
    >
    > Pity that yu do not go into any detail what you are lookin for
    > specificaly. This could be anything. Changing the colors of your
    > desktop, making a personalised instalation, writing YaST applications,
    > making RPMs, ...
    >
    > houghi
    > --
    >
    > This space left blank intentionaly

    Well, we won't knowin advance what it would be. Things that are not-
    SuSE specific (installing services, etc.) we can do. It is little
    things like making multi-media work under a particular version of SuSE
    that sometimes takes us an inordinate amount of time - and would take
    somebody doing SuSE all day long perhaps just a few minutes because
    they have seen the situation before and we have not. That's the sort
    of person we are looking for - and we will pay them by the hour as
    necessary.

  4. Re: a part-time SuSE Linux consulting opportunity in Cambridge, MA, USA

    borepstein@gmail.com wrote:
    > Well, we won't knowin advance what it would be. Things that are not-
    > SuSE specific (installing services, etc.) we can do.

    It is SUSE. And nothing is SUSE specific. Everything can be solved as
    you would on any other distribution. It is just that SUSE has YaST that
    will do many things for you, if you so desire.

    > It is little things like making multi-media work under a particular
    > version of SuSE that sometimes takes us an inordinate amount of time -

    Ok, at least some information. The answer is to add Packman as a repo
    and install MPlayer. Has been the case since when repositories where
    still caled installation source.

    See how much easier it gets when you start giving details?

    Any other questions or issues?

    houghi
    --

    This space left blank intentionaly

  5. Re: a part-time SuSE Linux consulting opportunity in Cambridge, MA,USA

    On Feb 4, 6:11 pm, houghi wrote:
    > borepst...@gmail.com wrote:
    > > Well, we won't knowin advance what it would be. Things that are not-
    > > SuSE specific (installing services, etc.) we can do.

    > It is SUSE. And nothing is SUSE specific. Everything can be solved as
    > you would on any other distribution. It is just that SUSE has YaST that
    > will do many things for you, if you so desire.
    >
    > > It is little things like making multi-media work under a particular
    > > version of SuSE that sometimes takes us an inordinate amount of time -

    > Ok, at least some information. The answer is to add Packman as a repo
    > and install MPlayer. Has been the case since when repositories where
    > still caled installation source.
    >
    > See how much easier it gets when you start giving details?
    >
    > Any other questions or issues?
    >
    > houghi
    > --
    >
    > This space left blank intentionaly

    Thanks, this is the sort of thing we do know. And the steps you are
    talking about are our routine too.

    However, that does not necessarily address all the issues. Case in
    point:

    http://ascb.org/

    Various videos on that site either fail to play under SuSE or play
    very poorly (i.e., one has to try several times for some reason before
    the playback starts). Now this is the sort of issue that baffles us
    here, and that is the sort of thing we need help with.

    Any advice on that would be appreciated, of course. We use Open SuSE
    10.3.

  6. Re: a part-time SuSE Linux consulting opportunity in Cambridge, MA, USA

    borepstein@gmail.com wrote:
    > http://ascb.org/
    >
    > Various videos on that site either fail to play under SuSE or play
    > very poorly (i.e., one has to try several times for some reason before
    > the playback starts). Now this is the sort of issue that baffles us
    > here, and that is the sort of thing we need help with.

    Please can you give a URL to a video that does not work?

    houghi
    --
    Listen do you hear them drawing near in their search for the sinners?
    Feeding on the power of our fear and the evil within us.

  7. Re: a part-time SuSE Linux consulting opportunity in Cambridge, MA,USA

    On Feb 6, 12:06 pm, houghi wrote:
    > borepst...@gmail.com wrote:
    > >http://ascb.org/

    > > Various videos on that site either fail to play under SuSE or play
    > > very poorly (i.e., one has to try several times for some reason before
    > > the playback starts). Now this is the sort of issue that baffles us
    > > here, and that is the sort of thing we need help with.

    > Please can you give a URL to a video that does not work?
    >
    > houghi
    > --
    > Listen do you hear them drawing near in their search for the sinners?
    > Feeding on the power of our fear and the evil within us.
    > Incarnation of Satan's creation of all that we dread.
    > When the demons arrive those alive would be better off dead!

    Here's a few:

    http://ascb.org/ibioseminars/derisi/derisi1.cfm

    http://cellimages.ascb.org/cdm4/item...ISOBOX=1&REC=1

    http://cellimages.ascb.org/cdm4/item...ISOBOX=1&REC=2

  8. Re: a part-time SuSE Linux consulting opportunity in Cambridge, MA, USA

    borepstein@gmail.com wrote:
    > Here's a few:
    >
    > http://ascb.org/ibioseminars/derisi/derisi1.cfm

    OK, now we are getting somewhere. That is a mov file by the name of
    derisi_1_320s.mov

    > http://cellimages.ascb.org/cdm4/item...ISOBOX=1&REC=1

    This one is even easier. It tells you, you need Quicktime 7

    > http://cellimages.ascb.org/cdm4/item...ISOBOX=1&REC=2

    The same here.
    Most likely this is what you need: libquicktime (untested)
    Install it from Packman. I asume you have already added Packman as a
    repo. If not, please do so. Obviously you need MPlayer plugin as well.

    houghi
    --

    for I in `find /usr/src/linux/ -name *.c`; \
    do A=`grep -i -A 1 -B 1 **** $I`;if [ "$A" != "" ]; \
    then printf "$I \n$A \n\n"; fi ;done|less

  9. Re: a part-time SuSE Linux consulting opportunity in Cambridge, MA, USA

    On 2008-02-06, borepstein@gmail.com wrote:

    > http://ascb.org/
    >
    > Various videos on that site either fail to play under SuSE or play
    > very poorly (i.e., one has to try several times for some reason before
    > the playback starts). Now this is the sort of issue that baffles us
    > here, and that is the sort of thing we need help with.
    >
    > Any advice on that would be appreciated, of course. We use Open SuSE
    > 10.3.

    Reminds me of my users:
    - "I can't connect to our partner's server, can you fix it?"
    - "Our partner can't connect to our server, can you fix it?"

    Not every solution needs to come from your side.
    Sometimes the 'others' are wrong, too. Dropt them a line, ask those video's
    that won't run weell, are made with a different tool than the others.

    Why academics would use Quicktime, Mpeg4 and iPod formats, I don't know.
    Aren't they supposed to produce non-commercial, well established formats?

    Anyway,
    I've downloaded 'derisi_1_320d.mov' and played it successfully with Mplayer.
    I was able to fast-forward, reverse and never lost sync between image and
    sound. Same with 'derisi_1.mp4'.

    I'm (still) using SuSE 10.0, but it should work just as well under 10.3.

    Douglas Adams

  10. Re: a part-time SuSE Linux consulting opportunity in Cambridge, MA,USA

    Rikishi 42 wrote:
    > On 2008-02-06, borepstein@gmail.com wrote:
    >

    >>http://ascb.org/
    >>
    >>Various videos on that site either fail to play under SuSE or play
    >>very poorly (i.e., one has to try several times for some reason before
    >>the playback starts). Now this is the sort of issue that baffles us
    >>here, and that is the sort of thing we need help with.
    >>
    >>Any advice on that would be appreciated, of course. We use Open SuSE
    >>10.3.

    > Reminds me of my users:
    > - "I can't connect to our partner's server, can you fix it?"
    > - "Our partner can't connect to our server, can you fix it?"
    >
    > Not every solution needs to come from your side.
    > Sometimes the 'others' are wrong, too. Dropt them a line, ask those video's
    > that won't run weell, are made with a different tool than the others.
    >

    > Why academics would use Quicktime, Mpeg4 and iPod formats, I don't know.
    > Aren't they supposed to produce non-commercial, well established formats?
    >

    > Anyway,
    > I've downloaded 'derisi_1_320d.mov' and played it successfully with Mplayer.
    > I was able to fast-forward, reverse and never lost sync between image and
    > sound. Same with 'derisi_1.mp4'.
    >

    > I'm (still) using SuSE 10.0, but it should work just as well under 10.3.

    Dear Rikishi,

    Sometimes people, even academics are stuck with the formats the hardware
    are supporting.

    My digital camera only supports quicktime movies.

    Kind regards,

    Jan Gerrit Kootstra

  11. Re: a part-time SuSE Linux consulting opportunity in Cambridge, MA, USA

    Jan Gerrit Kootstra wrote:
    > Sometimes people, even academics are stuck with the formats the hardware
    > are supporting.
    >
    > My digital camera only supports quicktime movies.

    One would think academics would have learned outside the (hardware-)box.
    They can still provide the needed formats by transforming it to whatever
    format they like.

    houghi
    --

    for I in `find /usr/src/linux/ -name *.c`; \
    do A=`grep -i -A 1 -B 1 **** $I`;if [ "$A" != "" ]; \
    then printf "$I \n$A \n\n"; fi ;done|less

  12. Re: a part-time SuSE Linux consulting opportunity in Cambridge, MA,USA

    On Wed, 06 Feb 2008 13:57:22 -0800, borepstein@gmail.com wrote:

    > On Feb 6, 12:06 pm, houghi wrote:
    >> borepst...@gmail.com wrote:
    >> >http://ascb.org/

    >> > Various videos on that site either fail to play under SuSE or play
    >> > very poorly (i.e., one has to try several times for some reason
    >> > before the playback starts). Now this is the sort of issue that
    >> > baffles us here, and that is the sort of thing we need help with.

    >> Please can you give a URL to a video that does not work?
    >>
    >> houghi
    >> --
    >> Listen do you hear them drawing near in their search for the sinners?
    >> Feeding on the power of our fear and the evil within us. Incarnation of
    >> Satan's creation of all that we dread. When the demons arrive those
    >> alive would be better off dead!

    > Here's a few:
    >
    > http://ascb.org/ibioseminars/derisi/derisi1.cfm
    >
    > http://cellimages.ascb.org/cdm4/item...php?CISOROOT=/

    p4041coll12&CISOPTR=230&CISOBOX=1&REC=1

    > http://cellimages.ascb.org/cdm4/item...php?CISOROOT=/

    p4041coll12&CISOPTR=101&CISOBOX=1&REC=2

    I tried the 1st URL in firefox. The page came up and tried to play the
    video using mplayerplug-in. It stopped in the native 320x240 format.
    However, when I clicked 'QuickTime 7 Required *640x480 System
    Requirements' It played normally.
    When I tried in konquerer, I got messages that I needed windows or a mac.

  13. Re: a part-time SuSE Linux consulting opportunity in Cambridge, MA, USA

    On 2008-02-07, houghi wrote:

    >> Sometimes people, even academics are stuck with the formats the hardware
    >> are supporting.
    >>
    >> My digital camera only supports quicktime movies.

    > One would think academics would have learned outside the (hardware-)box.
    > They can still provide the needed formats by transforming it to whatever
    > format they like.

    My point exactly.

    Douglas Adams

  14. Re: a part-time SuSE Linux consulting opportunity in Cambridge, MA,USA

    houghi wrote:
    > Jan Gerrit Kootstra wrote:
    >> Sometimes people, even academics are stuck with the formats the hardware
    >> are supporting.
    >>
    >> My digital camera only supports quicktime movies.

    > One would think academics would have learned outside the (hardware-)box.
    > They can still provide the needed formats by transforming it to whatever
    > format they like.

    Not if the "big heads" behind the desks have other reasons to prefer
    closed formats. In my university for example, only M$ software is used.
    Exclusively. They have some kind of deal with M$, and some even work
    for M$. Open Source is frowned upon and Linux laughed at. By those
    "big heads", mind you, everyone else still spells M$ like I do; with a
    dollar sign

  15. Re: a part-time SuSE Linux consulting opportunity in Cambridge, MA, USA

    On 2008-02-07, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

    > houghi wrote:
    >> Jan Gerrit Kootstra wrote:
    >>> Sometimes people, even academics are stuck with the formats the hardware
    >>> are supporting.
    >>>
    >>> My digital camera only supports quicktime movies.

    >> One would think academics would have learned outside the (hardware-)box.
    >> They can still provide the needed formats by transforming it to whatever
    >> format they like.

    > Not if the "big heads" behind the desks have other reasons to prefer
    > closed formats. In my university for example, only M$ software is used.
    > Exclusively. They have some kind of deal with M$, and some even work
    > for M$. Open Source is frowned upon and Linux laughed at. By those
    > "big heads", mind you, everyone else still spells M$ like I do; with a
    > dollar sign

    They should be reminded a university's goal is to educate their student, not
    to brainwash them.

    And certainly not to sponsor a corporation.

    Douglas Adams

  16. Re: a part-time SuSE Linux consulting opportunity in Cambridge, MA, USA

    On 2008-02-07, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

    > ... M$ technologies

    That's allways sounded like a contradiction in terms, to me.

    Douglas Adams

  17. Re: a part-time SuSE Linux consulting opportunity in Cambridge, MA, USA

    Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

    > houghi wrote:
    >> Jan Gerrit Kootstra wrote:
    >>> Sometimes people, even academics are stuck with the formats the hardware
    >>> are supporting.
    >>>
    >>> My digital camera only supports quicktime movies.

    >> One would think academics would have learned outside the (hardware-)box.
    >> They can still provide the needed formats by transforming it to whatever
    >> format they like.

    > Not if the "big heads" behind the desks have other reasons to prefer
    > closed formats.

    Then they do not think ouside the box. Also then the reasoning of
    'formats the hardware is suporting' is irrelevant.

    > In my university for example, only M$ software is used.
    > Exclusively. They have some kind of deal with M$, and some even work
    > for M$. Open Source is frowned upon and Linux laughed at. By those
    > "big heads", mind you, everyone else still spells M$ like I do; with a
    > dollar sign

    So? Then use Microasoft programs to turn it into something everybody can
    see and use. Using microsoft does not mean you are automagicaly must
    exclude everybody else. If that is the case, get hold of that contract,
    copy it and let it slip somehow to the net.

    To do this, the best you can do is take a portable with a wireless. Use
    a live distro and spoof the MAC adress when connecting to a random open
    router that is NOT yours. (Around campus that should not be an issue)

    Nice wuld be to write a script that will send it to many, many people
    who are sure to spread it around. Post it to several newsgroups as well.

    If such a contract does not excist, they are just a bunch of idiots.
    They are unable to find the 'Save As' in their program.

    However this is all unrelated to the original, where the program is
    Apple specific. (The fact that they use that format and in the way they
    do it, does not make them any less of idiots)

    houghi
    --

    for I in `find /usr/src/linux/ -name *.c`; \
    do A=`grep -i -A 1 -B 1 **** $I`;if [ "$A" != "" ]; \
    then printf "$I \n$A \n\n"; fi ;done|less

+ Reply to Thread