Can /usr be split onto 2 partitions? - Suse

This is a discussion on Can /usr be split onto 2 partitions? - Suse ; houghi wrote: > [...] >> But how much data does /usr/share contain? It's just about 800MB here. > > Mine is 2GB, /usr/lib is 1.6GB > For the others: To see how much you use in each directory: > sudo ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 25 of 25

Thread: Can /usr be split onto 2 partitions?

  1. Re: Can /usr be split onto 2 partitions?

    houghi wrote:
    > [...]
    >> But how much data does /usr/share contain? It's just about 800MB here.

    >
    > Mine is 2GB, /usr/lib is 1.6GB
    > For the others: To see how much you use in each directory:
    > sudo du -h --max-depth=1 /usr/


    'du -sh /usr' it's faster

  2. Re: Can /usr be split onto 2 partitions?

    "Nikos Chantziaras" wrote in message
    news:fo4vjv$ld0$1@volcano1.grnet.gr...
    > over.here.from@over.there wrote:
    > A mount point must be one partition. However, a partition can be
    > "logical" too. That means you could combine two 4GB partitions into an
    > 8GB one with LVM, and mount it as /usr.


    I suspect that would fail to achieve what the OP desires.

    The pair of partitions would need to be looked after (eg backed up) together
    in much the same way as with a single larger partition, and damage to one
    partition would probably lose you the whole of /usr just as it probably
    would with a single larger partition.

    --

    Brian Gregory. (In the UK)
    ng@bgdsv.co.uk
    To email me remove the letter vee.



  3. Re: Can /usr be split onto 2 partitions?

    Brian Gregory [UK] wrote:
    > I suspect that would fail to achieve what the OP desires.


    I disagree.

    > The pair of partitions would need to be looked after (eg backed up) together
    > in much the same way as with a single larger partition, and damage to one
    > partition would probably lose you the whole of /usr just as it probably
    > would with a single larger partition.


    No, it would only damage half of /usr. It could well be that the whole
    system is unusable, but doing a restore of that half would be enough to
    get a running system back.

    You will have twice the risk of partition failure. I still think an
    internal extra HD is the ideal situation for a home user. As it gives
    the best price compared to the best security and ease of backup.


    houghi
    --
    Listen do you hear them drawing near in their search for the sinners?
    Feeding on the power of our fear and the evil within us.
    Incarnation of Satan's creation of all that we dread.
    When the demons arrive those alive would be better off dead!

  4. Re: Can /usr be split onto 2 partitions?

    "houghi" wrote in message
    news:slrnfqinia.4ap.houghi@penne.houghi...
    > Brian Gregory [UK] wrote:
    >> I suspect that would fail to achieve what the OP desires.

    >
    > I disagree.
    >
    >> The pair of partitions would need to be looked after (eg backed up)
    >> together
    >> in much the same way as with a single larger partition, and damage to one
    >> partition would probably lose you the whole of /usr just as it probably
    >> would with a single larger partition.

    >
    > No, it would only damage half of /usr. It could well be that the whole
    > system is unusable, but doing a restore of that half would be enough to
    > get a running system back.


    Probably be enough you mean.

    If you argue that way then damage to one big partition would probably only
    damage a part of /usr in EXACTLY the same way because damage rarely covers
    more than a few sectors.


    > You will have twice the risk of partition failure. I still think an
    > internal extra HD is the ideal situation for a home user. As it gives
    > the best price compared to the best security and ease of backup.


    Yes external USB2 hard drives are great for backing up.

    --

    Brian Gregory. (In the UK)
    ng@bgdsv.co.uk
    To email me remove the letter vee.



  5. Re: Can /usr be split onto 2 partitions?

    Brian Gregory [UK] wrote:
    >> No, it would only damage half of /usr. It could well be that the whole
    >> system is unusable, but doing a restore of that half would be enough to
    >> get a running system back.

    >
    > Probably be enough you mean.


    Sure, but by the same excuse, you could say that it damaged / as they
    might not be working anymore as well.

    > If you argue that way then damage to one big partition would probably only
    > damage a part of /usr in EXACTLY the same way because damage rarely covers
    > more than a few sectors.


    Yes, and if you argue the way you do, then you can argue that it damages
    the whole system in EXACTLY the same way, because the whole system might
    stop functioning.

    However, we are talking about partitions and and the fact wether or not
    a whole system stops functioning. I can put one file on one partition
    and if that partition fails, the whole system will stop working.

    >> You will have twice the risk of partition failure. I still think an
    >> internal extra HD is the ideal situation for a home user. As it gives
    >> the best price compared to the best security and ease of backup.

    >
    > Yes external USB2 hard drives are great for backing up.


    Just as internal or any other type of hard drive. For me external USB
    drives are less good then internal ones if nothing else for the fact
    that they cost more per GB.


    houghi
    --
    ________________________ Open your eyes, open your mind
    | proud like a god don't pretend to be blind
    | trapped in yourself, break out instead
    http://openSUSE.org | beat the machine that works in your head

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2