CPU Temp - Suse

This is a discussion on CPU Temp - Suse ; Running KBackup, and according to "My Computer", the CPU is running at 73 Celsius. Pentium M 2.26 Ghz. Cause for concern? Or normal? Any way to keep it cooler? Fan doesn't appear to be making the high speed fan noise. ...

  1. CPU Temp

    Running KBackup, and according to "My Computer", the CPU is running at
    73 Celsius.

    Pentium M 2.26 Ghz.

    Cause for concern? Or normal?

    Any way to keep it cooler?

    Fan doesn't appear to be making the high speed fan noise.

    Dell Precision M70 lap top, Suse 10.3, (raised from desktop, plenty of
    circulation underneath already.)

  2. Re: CPU Temp

    John Phillips wrote:

    > Running KBackup, and according to "My Computer", the CPU is running at
    > 73 Celsius.
    >
    > Pentium M 2.26 Ghz.
    >
    > Cause for concern? Or normal?
    >
    > Any way to keep it cooler?
    >
    > Fan doesn't appear to be making the high speed fan noise.
    >
    > Dell Precision M70 lap top, Suse 10.3, (raised from desktop, plenty of
    > circulation underneath already.)

    Its a bit warm, but then again thats normal for a laptop. My desktop
    Pentium D 3000 runs at about 60C normally, and goes up and down a bit
    according to load.
    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.

  3. Re: CPU Temp

    Baron wrote:
    > John Phillips wrote:
    >
    >> Running KBackup, and according to "My Computer", the CPU is running at
    >> 73 Celsius.
    >>
    >> Pentium M 2.26 Ghz.
    >>
    >> Cause for concern? Or normal?
    >>
    >> Any way to keep it cooler?
    >>
    >> Fan doesn't appear to be making the high speed fan noise.
    >>
    >> Dell Precision M70 lap top, Suse 10.3, (raised from desktop, plenty of
    >> circulation underneath already.)

    > Its a bit warm, but then again thats normal for a laptop. My desktop
    > Pentium D 3000 runs at about 60C normally, and goes up and down a bit
    > according to load.

    Yup, Pentiums run pretty hot. My Intel Celeron D runs at about 60C at
    idle and goes up to 80C on load. In comparison, my Intel Core 2 idles
    at about room temperature (currently 8C; it's cold in here) and climbs
    to 30C at full load.

    Nevertheless, a thorough cleaning of the laptop's internals is advised,
    and should be done each 6 months.

  4. Re: CPU Temp

    John Phillips writes:

    >Running KBackup, and according to "My Computer", the CPU is running at
    >73 Celsius.

    >Pentium M 2.26 Ghz.

    >Cause for concern? Or normal?

    Cause for concern. Open the case, and blow a strong stream of air across
    the CPU cooling blades, Make sure that the cpu fan is running. If that does
    not help, bring it in to make sure that the fan/cooler is properly wseated
    on the CPI chip and has the appropriate amount of thermal paste to make
    good thremal contact.
    It is beter than the 185C I got from one of my CPUs on a new machine ( I
    returned it and was told that the cpu had scorched the motehrboard.)

    >Any way to keep it cooler?

    >Fan doesn't appear to be making the high speed fan noise.

    >Dell Precision M70 lap top, Suse 10.3, (raised from desktop, plenty of
    >circulation underneath already.)

    Ah, laptop. Then I have no comments except take it in and get it checked
    out. 70C is a bit high.

  5. Re: CPU Temp

    Unruh wrote:

    > It is beter than the 185C I got from one of my CPUs on a new machine ( I
    > returned it and was told that the cpu had scorched the motehrboard.)

    The 185 C seems more like bad temperature sensors or program that read them
    did not correct voltage for appropriate factor.

    The highest temperature I know about was 90 C in some Athlons and that was
    very hot CPU with very demanding cooling. The reason is that even small
    increase would bring semiconductors in range where they will run out of
    control and really melt.

    --
    Regards, Rajko.
    See http://en.opensuse.org/Portal

  6. Re: CPU Temp

    John Phillips wrote:

    > Running KBackup, and according to "My Computer", the CPU is running at
    > 73 Celsius.
    >
    > Pentium M 2.26 Ghz.
    >
    > Cause for concern? Or normal?
    >
    > Any way to keep it cooler?
    >
    > Fan doesn't appear to be making the high speed fan noise.
    >
    > Dell Precision M70 lap top, Suse 10.3, (raised from desktop, plenty of
    > circulation underneath already.)

    have you got kpowersave dynamic

  7. Re: CPU Temp

    On Wed, 06 Feb 2008 07:56:48 +0000 Darklight
    wrote:

    > > Dell Precision M70 lap top, Suse 10.3, (raised from desktop, plenty
    > > of circulation underneath already.)

    > have you got kpowersave dynamic

    For CPU Frequency? Yes?

    Is this not correct setting?

  8. Re: CPU Temp

    John Phillips wrote:
    > On Wed, 06 Feb 2008 07:56:48 +0000 Darklight
    > wrote:
    >
    >>> Dell Precision M70 lap top, Suse 10.3, (raised from desktop, plenty
    >>> of circulation underneath already.)

    >> have you got kpowersave dynamic

    > For CPU Frequency? Yes?
    >
    > Is this not correct setting?

    When was the last time you cleaned the laptop? I once had one that
    wasn't opened and cleaned for over 2 years (P4 3GHz). It had
    accumulated almost an ashtray full of dust and cleaning resulted in a
    CPU temperature drop of over 10C.

  9. Re: CPU Temp

    On Thu, 07 Feb 2008 16:52:45 +0200 Nikos Chantziaras
    wrote:

    > When was the last time you cleaned the laptop?

    Isn't that the same as reading instructions? ;-)

    (I will give it a go, thanks for the heads up).

+ Reply to Thread