Getting 10.3 to Boot Again - Suse

This is a discussion on Getting 10.3 to Boot Again - Suse ; After an online update of the kernel from .13 to .16 the system failed to boot. A GRUB Fatal Error 23: Error while parsing number was found on root (/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_HTS*-part4) changing it back to root (hd0, 3) fixed the problem. ...

  1. Getting 10.3 to Boot Again

    After an online update of the kernel from .13 to .16 the system failed
    to boot. A GRUB

    Fatal Error 23: Error while parsing number

    was found on

    root (/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_HTS*-part4)

    changing it back to

    root (hd0, 3)

    fixed the problem.

    In addition the option to boot into the .13 kernel fails with

    Error 15: File not found

    Good thing I had an earlier partition I could boot and change menu.lst.
    I've had so many problems with 10.3 it's a real disappointment. Is
    Novell trying to make Vista look good?

    Paul

  2. Re: Getting 10.3 to Boot Again

    Paul Thompson wrote:
    > After an online update of the kernel from .13 to .16 the system failed
    > to boot. A GRUB
    >
    > Fatal Error 23: Error while parsing number
    >
    > was found on
    >
    > root (/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_HTS*-part4)
    >
    > changing it back to
    >
    > root (hd0, 3)
    >
    > fixed the problem.
    >
    > In addition the option to boot into the .13 kernel fails with
    >
    > Error 15: File not found
    >
    > Good thing I had an earlier partition I could boot and change menu.lst.
    > I've had so many problems with 10.3 it's a real disappointment. Is
    > Novell trying to make Vista look good?
    >
    > Paul

    I had the same sort of problems after an update. Strange that this
    happens with such a basic thing like grub.

    Joost

  3. Re: Getting 10.3 to Boot Again

    Joost van der Waa wrote:
    > Paul Thompson wrote:
    >> After an online update of the kernel from .13 to .16 the system failed
    >> to boot. A GRUB
    >>
    >> Fatal Error 23: Error while parsing number
    >>
    >> was found on
    >>
    >> root (/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_HTS*-part4)
    >>
    >> changing it back to
    >>
    >> root (hd0, 3)
    >>
    >> fixed the problem.
    >>
    >> In addition the option to boot into the .13 kernel fails with
    >>
    >> Error 15: File not found
    >>
    >> Good thing I had an earlier partition I could boot and change menu.lst.
    >> I've had so many problems with 10.3 it's a real disappointment. Is
    >> Novell trying to make Vista look good?
    >>
    >> Paul

    > I had the same sort of problems after an update. Strange that this
    > happens with such a basic thing like grub.
    >
    > Joost

    Is seems they are putting out updates without bothering to test them
    first:-( I assume they are not being paid to do this.

    Paul

  4. Re: Getting 10.3 to Boot Again

    Paul Thompson wrote:

    > After an online update of the kernel from .13 to .16 the system failed
    > to boot. A GRUB
    >
    > Fatal Error 23: Error while parsing number
    >
    > was found on
    >
    > root (/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_HTS*-part4)
    >
    > changing it back to
    >
    > root (hd0, 3)
    >
    > fixed the problem.

    knows yast that you changed it ?
    try to repair with the tools of opensuse (yast)
    yast - system - bootloader.

    > In addition the option to boot into the .13 kernel fails with
    >
    > Error 15: File not found
    >
    > Good thing I had an earlier partition I could boot and change menu.lst.
    > I've had so many problems with 10.3 it's a real disappointment. Is
    > Novell trying to make Vista look good?

    Novell? you mean openSUSE you use.
    here already did 3 PC's to the latest kernel (.16)
    one of them 64bits, one won't upgarde because ati drivers are used
    no problem at all.

    was the openSUSE 10.3 install a new or a upgrade?
    --
    EOS
    www.photo-memories.be

  5. Re: Getting 10.3 to Boot Again

    EOS wrote:

    >> root (/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_HTS*-part4)
    >>
    >> changing it back to
    >>
    >> root (hd0, 3)
    >>
    >> fixed the problem.

    > knows yast that you changed it ?
    > try to repair with the tools of opensuse (yast)
    > yast - system - bootloader.

    forgot to say, the next time you have a update from kernel
    you would have the same problem again ;-)
    make a new bootloader with yast.
    if you want to edit files of grub, you have to now what are you doing!
    --
    EOS
    www.photo-memories.be
    Running KDE 3.5.8 / openSUSE 10.3

  6. Re: Getting 10.3 to Boot Again

    Paul Thompson wrote:

    > Joost van der Waa wrote:
    >> Paul Thompson wrote:
    >>> After an online update of the kernel from .13 to .16 the system failed
    >>> to boot. A GRUB
    >>>
    >>> Fatal Error 23: Error while parsing number
    >>>
    >>> was found on
    >>>
    >>> root (/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_HTS*-part4)
    >>>
    >>> changing it back to
    >>>
    >>> root (hd0, 3)
    >>>
    >>> fixed the problem.
    >>>
    >>> In addition the option to boot into the .13 kernel fails with
    >>>
    >>> Error 15: File not found
    >>>
    >>> Good thing I had an earlier partition I could boot and change menu.lst.
    >>> I've had so many problems with 10.3 it's a real disappointment. Is
    >>> Novell trying to make Vista look good?
    >>>
    >>> Paul

    >> I had the same sort of problems after an update. Strange that this
    >> happens with such a basic thing like grub.
    >>
    >> Joost

    > Is seems they are putting out updates without bothering to test them
    > first:-( I assume they are not being paid to do this.
    >
    > Paul

    Paul,

    I assume that you have no interest to get that fixed. Maybe tired of
    problems and for sure missing point with "they" don't test it. The openSUSE
    is community project, and it includes you as user. Yes, you are part of
    community.

    http://bugzilla.novell.com is right place to post your problem and than post
    link to bugreport here so that people with similar problems can go there
    and help fixing it. More details of your hard disk configuration
    (partitions) might be useful. Also please post menu.lst and device.map.

    Besides fixed kernel name vmlinuz instead of vmlinuz I
    had no problems with last update, but I have interest to see that fixed.
    I'm tired of going to /boot directory every time kernel is updated to
    check "what's new".

    --
    Regards, Rajko.
    See http://en.opensuse.org/Portal

  7. Re: Getting 10.3 to Boot Again

    EOS wrote:
    > Paul Thompson wrote:
    >
    >> After an online update of the kernel from .13 to .16 the system failed
    >> to boot. A GRUB
    >>
    >> Fatal Error 23: Error while parsing number
    >>
    >> was found on
    >>
    >> root (/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_HTS*-part4)
    >>
    >> changing it back to
    >>
    >> root (hd0, 3)
    >>
    >> fixed the problem.

    > knows yast that you changed it ?
    > try to repair with the tools of opensuse (yast)
    > yast - system - bootloader.
    >
    >> In addition the option to boot into the .13 kernel fails with
    >>
    >> Error 15: File not found
    >>
    >> Good thing I had an earlier partition I could boot and change menu.lst.
    >> I've had so many problems with 10.3 it's a real disappointment. Is
    >> Novell trying to make Vista look good?

    > Novell? you mean openSUSE you use.
    > here already did 3 PC's to the latest kernel (.16)
    > one of them 64bits, one won't upgarde because ati drivers are used
    > no problem at all.
    >
    > was the openSUSE 10.3 install a new or a upgrade?

    Greetings, first, I had assumed OpenSuSE had significant Novell
    participation - if wrong, I apologize. Second I've been using SuSE since
    8.0, and computers since the 1950's. Two suggestions to solve my problem
    were to use Yast-System-Bootloader or the DVD Repair mode. Earlier when
    I ran Y-S-Bootloader my menu.lst got so scrambled the computer wouldn't
    boot into any partition, 10.3, 10.2 or XP. 10.3 Repair was worthless,
    and eventually I used the 10.2 DVD to mount the 10.3 partition and
    manually repair menu.lst. The latest kernel upgrade (16-0.2) has the
    same problem.

  8. Re: Getting 10.3 to Boot Again

    Paul Thompson wrote:

    > Greetings, first, I had assumed OpenSuSE had significant Novell
    > participation - if wrong, I apologize. Second I've been using SuSE since
    > 8.0, and computers since the 1950's. Two suggestions to solve my problem
    > were to use Yast-System-Bootloader or the DVD Repair mode. Earlier when
    > I ran Y-S-Bootloader my menu.lst got so scrambled the computer wouldn't
    > boot into any partition, 10.3, 10.2 or XP. 10.3 Repair was worthless,
    > and eventually I used the 10.2 DVD to mount the 10.3 partition and
    > manually repair menu.lst. The latest kernel upgrade (16-0.2) has the
    > same problem.

    so now it works, but if yast comes with a new kernel
    you probely have the same issue.
    make a proper bootloader in yast - system - bootloader!
    there are options you can use ;-)
    http://users.telenet.be/photo-memori...-booloader.png
    --
    EOS
    www.photo-memories.be
    Running KDE 3.5.8 / openSUSE 10.3

  9. Re: Getting 10.3 to Boot Again

    Rajko M. wrote:

    > Paul Thompson wrote:
    >
    >> Joost van der Waa wrote:

    >>> I had the same sort of problems after an update. Strange that this
    >>> happens with such a basic thing like grub.
    >>>
    >>> Joost

    >> Is seems they are putting out updates without bothering to test them
    >> first:-( I assume they are not being paid to do this.
    >>
    >> Paul

    > Paul,
    >
    > I assume that you have no interest to get that fixed. Maybe tired of
    > problems and for sure missing point with "they" don't test it. The
    > openSUSE is community project, and it includes you as user. Yes, you are
    > part of community.
    >
    > http://bugzilla.novell.com is right place to post your problem and than
    > post link to bugreport here so that people with similar problems can go
    > there and help fixing it. More details of your hard disk configuration
    > (partitions) might be useful. Also please post menu.lst and device.map.
    >
    > Besides fixed kernel name vmlinuz instead of vmlinuz
    > I had no problems with last update, but I have interest to see that fixed.
    > I'm tired of going to /boot directory every time kernel is updated to
    > check "what's new".

    It is the packager's responsibility to test before it is released as stable
    not to mention that SuSE has always had the tools, infrastructure and paid
    quality assurance staff to catch this. Besides, you don't tell a person who
    bought an expensive boxed set that it is their fault if stable security
    updates are not worth having been released. That same mentality is why you
    could never differentiate the quality between a Mandrake Beta and a
    Mandrake Release, they were both buggy as hell and then the blame was
    shifted to the community for not wiping out a known working system on their
    machines and not tying it up with something that is surely going to be
    broken to do somebody's job for them. People who want to test would be
    using the testing repository not the stable one.

    Dave

  10. Re: Getting 10.3 to Boot Again

    David W Studeman wrote:

    > Rajko M. wrote:

    >> http://bugzilla.novell.com is right place to post your problem and than
    >> post link to bugreport here so that people with similar problems can go
    >> there and help fixing it. More details of your hard disk configuration
    >> (partitions) might be useful. Also please post menu.lst and device.map.
    >>
    >> Besides fixed kernel name vmlinuz instead of vmlinuz
    >> I had no problems with last update, but I have interest to see that
    >> fixed. I'm tired of going to /boot directory every time kernel is updated
    >> to check "what's new".
    >>

    > It is the packager's responsibility to test before it is released as
    > stable
    > not to mention that SuSE has always had the tools, infrastructure and paid
    > quality assurance staff to catch this. Besides, you don't tell a person
    > who bought an expensive boxed set that it is their fault if stable
    > security updates are not worth having been released. That same mentality
    > is why you could never differentiate the quality between a Mandrake Beta
    > and a Mandrake Release, they were both buggy as hell and then the blame
    > was shifted to the community for not wiping out a known working system on
    > their machines and not tying it up with something that is surely going to
    > be broken to do somebody's job for them. People who want to test would be
    > using the testing repository not the stable one.

    Hi Dave,

    software, paid or not, has bugs.

    The packager has configurations that he has to test and when bug doesn't
    show there than he is done. The bugs usually show up in configurations that
    are not standard and for that reason not tested.

    Packager can't test every configuration, as number of all possible
    combinations for such simple thing as booting grows very fast, making
    thorow testing impossible, otherwise every piece of software would be bug
    free. To make sure that different custom configurations will work openSUSE
    looks for reports from users, if they don't come they consider that
    everything is fine and bug continues to live.

    That is the reason for my previous message. I just tried to convince the
    other poster to report a bug.

    BTW, recently, helping someone I realized why I have no problems and others
    do, so that will be reported one of these days, and one more exotic
    configuration will be bug free.

    --
    Regards, Rajko.
    See http://en.opensuse.org/Portal

  11. Re: Getting 10.3 to Boot Again

    Rajko M. wrote:

    > David W Studeman wrote:
    >
    >> Rajko M. wrote:

    >>> http://bugzilla.novell.com is right place to post your problem and than
    >>> post link to bugreport here so that people with similar problems can go
    >>> there and help fixing it. More details of your hard disk configuration
    >>> (partitions) might be useful. Also please post menu.lst and device.map.
    >>>
    >>> Besides fixed kernel name vmlinuz instead of
    >>> vmlinuz I had no problems with last update, but I have interest to see
    >>> that fixed. I'm tired of going to /boot directory every time kernel is
    >>> updated to check "what's new".
    >>>

    >> It is the packager's responsibility to test before it is released as
    >> stable
    >> not to mention that SuSE has always had the tools, infrastructure and
    >> paid quality assurance staff to catch this. Besides, you don't tell a
    >> person who bought an expensive boxed set that it is their fault if stable
    >> security updates are not worth having been released. That same mentality
    >> is why you could never differentiate the quality between a Mandrake Beta
    >> and a Mandrake Release, they were both buggy as hell and then the blame
    >> was shifted to the community for not wiping out a known working system on
    >> their machines and not tying it up with something that is surely going to
    >> be broken to do somebody's job for them. People who want to test would be
    >> using the testing repository not the stable one.
    >>

    > Hi Dave,
    >
    > software, paid or not, has bugs.
    >
    > The packager has configurations that he has to test and when bug doesn't
    > show there than he is done. The bugs usually show up in configurations
    > that
    > are not standard and for that reason not tested.
    >
    > Packager can't test every configuration, as number of all possible
    > combinations for such simple thing as booting grows very fast, making
    > thorow testing impossible, otherwise every piece of software would be bug
    > free. To make sure that different custom configurations will work openSUSE
    > looks for reports from users, if they don't come they consider that
    > everything is fine and bug continues to live.
    >
    > That is the reason for my previous message. I just tried to convince the
    > other poster to report a bug.
    >
    > BTW, recently, helping someone I realized why I have no problems and
    > others do, so that will be reported one of these days, and one more exotic
    > configuration will be bug free.

    Fair enough. I basically had to reboot and use the install disk to boot the
    installed system and then it would build initrd again. It's running fine
    now even with the rather unconventional methods to get an initrd to build.
    Wouldn't have minded ditching ext3 and going with xfs if I did a clean
    reinstall though.

    Dave

+ Reply to Thread