10.3 installation with USB keyboard and mouse - Suse

This is a discussion on 10.3 installation with USB keyboard and mouse - Suse ; Newbie question: I have downloaded 10.3 and burn it to a DVD. When I boot from it and select 'installation' the initial language selection screen comes up after a 'probing mouse' message, but neither my USB keyboard or mouse has ...

  1. 10.3 installation with USB keyboard and mouse

    Newbie question:

    I have downloaded 10.3 and burn it to a DVD. When I boot from it and
    select 'installation' the initial language selection screen comes up
    after a 'probing mouse' message, but neither my USB keyboard or mouse
    has been detected - which makes proceeding a bit tricky. I had no
    problem with 10.2 which worked 'straight from the box'. Any ideas how
    to proceed?

  2. Re: 10.3 installation with USB keyboard and mouse

    David wrote:

    > I have downloaded 10.3 and burn it to a DVD. *When I boot from it and
    > select 'installation' the initial language selection screen comes up
    > after a 'probing mouse' message, but neither my USB keyboard or mouse
    > has been detected - which makes proceeding a bit tricky. *I had no
    > problem with 10.2 which worked 'straight from the box'. *Any ideas how
    > to proceed?

    try to boot with other kernel settings
    it's a F key (i think F4)
    --
    EOS
    www.photo-memories.be

  3. Re: 10.3 installation with USB keyboard and mouse

    On Sat, 02 Feb 2008 15:19:28 +0100, EOS wrote:

    >David wrote:
    >
    >> I have downloaded 10.3 and burn it to a DVD. *When I boot from it and
    >> select 'installation' the initial language selection screen comes up
    >> after a 'probing mouse' message, but neither my USB keyboard or mouse
    >> has been detected - which makes proceeding a bit tricky. *I had no
    >> problem with 10.2 which worked 'straight from the box'. *Any ideas how
    >> to proceed?

    >try to boot with other kernel settings
    >it's a F key (i think F4)

    Thanks, but I tried all of the options on F5 to no avail so there must
    be some other boot option that is needed - any other ideas?

  4. Re: 10.3 installation with USB keyboard and mouse

    On Sat, 02 Feb 2008 16:24:58 +0000, David wrote:

    > On Sat, 02 Feb 2008 15:19:28 +0100, EOS wrote:
    >
    >>David wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have downloaded 10.3 and burn it to a DVD. *When I boot from it and
    >>> select 'installation' the initial language selection screen comes up
    >>> after a 'probing mouse' message, but neither my USB keyboard or mouse
    >>> has been detected - which makes proceeding a bit tricky. *I had no
    >>> problem with 10.2 which worked 'straight from the box'. *Any ideas how
    >>> to proceed?

    >>try to boot with other kernel settings it's a F key (i think F4)

    > Thanks, but I tried all of the options on F5 to no avail so there must
    > be some other boot option that is needed - any other ideas?

    You may need to enable a BIOS setting, often called something like "USB
    legacy support".

  5. Re: 10.3 installation with USB keyboard and mouse

    David wrote:
    > Newbie question:
    >
    > I have downloaded 10.3 and burn it to a DVD. When I boot from it and
    > select 'installation' the initial language selection screen comes up
    > after a 'probing mouse' message, but neither my USB keyboard or mouse
    > has been detected - which makes proceeding a bit tricky. I had no
    > problem with 10.2 which worked 'straight from the box'. Any ideas how
    > to proceed?

    Check to see if there is an update to the bios from the vendor. Some new
    Dell's need their update for Linux to see a USB keyboard/mouse.

    Jeff Coffield

  6. Re: 10.3 installation with USB keyboard and mouse

    David wrote:

    > Newbie question:
    >
    > I have downloaded 10.3 and burn it to a DVD. When I boot from it and
    > select 'installation' the initial language selection screen comes up
    > after a 'probing mouse' message, but neither my USB keyboard or mouse
    > has been detected - which makes proceeding a bit tricky. I had no
    > problem with 10.2 which worked 'straight from the box'. Any ideas how
    > to proceed?

    Is this a Dell?? If so try a Powered usb hub to plug the kb and mouse into.
    Mike

  7. Re: 10.3 installation with USB keyboard and mouse

    On Sun, 03 Feb 2008 01:30:44 -0500, ka1ifq
    wrote:

    >David wrote:
    >
    >> Newbie question:
    >>
    >> I have downloaded 10.3 and burn it to a DVD. When I boot from it and
    >> select 'installation' the initial language selection screen comes up
    >> after a 'probing mouse' message, but neither my USB keyboard or mouse
    >> has been detected - which makes proceeding a bit tricky. I had no
    >> problem with 10.2 which worked 'straight from the box'. Any ideas how
    >> to proceed?

    >Is this a Dell?? If so try a Powered usb hub to plug the kb and mouse into.
    >Mike

    Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

    First off it is not a Dell, but also I already have SUSE 10.2 running
    on the machine and the installation DVD didn't (and still doesn't)
    need any clever boot options or anything else, which is why I am
    surprised and concerned that this 10.3 DVD DOES need something to tell
    the kernel that there are USB devices attached.

    All is fine when the DVD initially boots - I can use the keyboard to
    make boot selections and use the function keys...the problem occurs as
    soon as the kernel loads - the keyboard disconnects (shown by the 'num
    lock' light going out) and then never reconnects, so I am left high
    and dry after the kernel has booted.

    I confirmed that the MD5 of the iso I downloaded was correct so I do
    not think that there is anything wrong with the installation DVD...so
    I am stumped. Maybe I should just wait for 10.4 perhaps that will be
    back to normal?

    David

  8. Re: 10.3 installation with USB keyboard and mouse

    David wrote:

    > Maybe I should just wait for 10.4 perhaps that will be
    > back to normal?

    you have to wait very long for 10.4 ;-)
    next version is 11.0 :-)

    i have also the boot problem at a laptop (acer 1800) with KDE CD
    but i "fixed" it with boot of other kernel settings.
    it's the kernel that cause the problem.
    my settings are (F5 --> save settings)

    maby you can try to work with the network installation,
    and install over internet.
    --
    EOS
    www.photo-memories.be
    Running KDE 3.5.8 / openSUSE 10.3

  9. Re: 10.3 installation with USB keyboard and mouse

    On Sun, 03 Feb 2008 13:12:26 +0100, EOS wrote:
    >David wrote:
    >
    >> Maybe I should just wait for 10.4 perhaps that will be
    >> back to normal?

    >you have to wait very long for 10.4 ;-)
    >next version is 11.0 :-)
    >
    >i have also the boot problem at a laptop (acer 1800) with KDE CD
    >but i "fixed" it with boot of other kernel settings.
    >it's the kernel that cause the problem.
    >my settings are (F5 --> save settings)
    >
    >maby you can try to work with the network installation,
    >and install over internet.

    Well...it looks like it will have to be 11.0.

    I tried the network install, but this starts with loading a 10.3
    kernel and once again the keyboard and mouse are disconnected and not
    subsequently detected. Surely I cannot be the only person to have
    found this? What could be different about my hardware that prevents
    the new kernel detecting my USB keyboard and mouse?

    10.2 still works fine!

    Any ideas anyone?

  10. Re: 10.3 installation with USB keyboard and mouse

    David wrote:

    > On Sun, 03 Feb 2008 13:12:26 +0100, EOS wrote:
    >>David wrote:
    >>
    >>> Maybe I should just wait for 10.4 perhaps that will be
    >>> back to normal?

    >>you have to wait very long for 10.4 ;-)
    >>next version is 11.0 :-)
    >>
    >>i have also the boot problem at a laptop (acer 1800) with KDE CD
    >>but i "fixed" it with boot of other kernel settings.
    >>it's the kernel that cause the problem.
    >>my settings are (F5 --> save settings)
    >>
    >>maby you can try to work with the network installation,
    >>and install over internet.

    > Well...it looks like it will have to be 11.0.
    >
    > I tried the network install, but this starts with loading a 10.3
    > kernel and once again the keyboard and mouse are disconnected and not
    > subsequently detected. Surely I cannot be the only person to have
    > found this? What could be different about my hardware that prevents
    > the new kernel detecting my USB keyboard and mouse?
    >
    > 10.2 still works fine!
    >
    > Any ideas anyone?

    You have confirmed that USB legacy support is turned on in the BIOS ?
    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.

  11. Re: 10.3 installation with USB keyboard and mouse

    On Sat, 09 Feb 2008 14:28:22 +0000, Baron
    wrote:

    >David wrote:

    >>>you have to wait very long for 10.4 ;-)
    >>>next version is 11.0 :-)
    >>>
    >>>i have also the boot problem at a laptop (acer 1800) with KDE CD
    >>>but i "fixed" it with boot of other kernel settings.
    >>>it's the kernel that cause the problem.
    >>>my settings are (F5 --> save settings)
    >>>
    >>>maby you can try to work with the network installation,
    >>>and install over internet.

    >> Well...it looks like it will have to be 11.0.
    >>
    >> I tried the network install, but this starts with loading a 10.3
    >> kernel and once again the keyboard and mouse are disconnected and not
    >> subsequently detected. Surely I cannot be the only person to have
    >> found this? What could be different about my hardware that prevents
    >> the new kernel detecting my USB keyboard and mouse?
    >>
    >> 10.2 still works fine!
    >>
    >> Any ideas anyone?

    >You have confirmed that USB legacy support is turned on in the BIOS ?

    Yes I have...as I said 10.2 works fine

  12. Re: 10.3 installation with USB keyboard and mouse

    David wrote:

    > I tried the network install, but this starts with loading a 10.3
    > kernel and once again the keyboard and mouse are disconnected and not
    > subsequently detected. *Surely I cannot be the only person to have
    > found this? *What could be different about my hardware that prevents
    > the new kernel detecting my USB keyboard and mouse?

    i have the same problem on acer 1800 laptop,
    but with other kernel options it was fine.

    maby, just for fun,
    http://download.opensuse.org/distrib...Alpha2/iso/cd/
    if that works keep 10.2 until 11.0,
    if not fill bug report, that in the release of 11.0 is fixed
    --
    EOS
    www.photo-memories.be
    Running KDE 3.5.8 / openSUSE 10.3